A real Garand dilema

PDA

Jmurman
September 29, 2003, 10:33 AM
Ok, here is the story. Last year I purchased a new Kimber Pro Carry. This after much scrimping and saving and laying out the ground wrok with my wife. My goal since then has been to get set up with a Dillon 550b reloader and all the necessary equipment to be somewhat self reliant with ammo.

Fast forward to this year. I have my heart set on a CMP Garand. Now I can get the Service Grade for about $500 plus.

The question is this. Do I get the Dillon, with the stuff to do 30-06 plus 45, and defer the Garand until next year or take the money and get the Garand and defer the Dillon until next year...

any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "A real Garand dilema" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
September 29, 2003, 11:04 AM
This probably belongs in the GD forum, but I'll leave it here for now.

I'd say get the Dillon now and you can shoot more in the time being.

Jmurman
September 29, 2003, 11:08 AM
Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I probably should have put it in the GD forum, please feel free to move it.

WT
September 29, 2003, 11:18 AM
Get the Garand now. Next year, somebody may have passed another law calling the Garand an assault rifle and limiting sales.

marvl
September 29, 2003, 11:18 AM
Get the Garand. You can always buy cheap ammo until you can reload. As much as I enjoy reloading, I enjoy shooting more. ;)

Steve Smith
September 29, 2003, 11:21 AM
On further consdideration, I change my "vote." Get the Garand and some surplus ammo. Please learn to shoot it from positon. I would rather have another Rifleman amongst my ranks than another handloader...though we need them too.

riverdog
September 29, 2003, 11:24 AM
Garand, without hesitation..

gun-fucious
September 29, 2003, 11:35 AM
by the time you account for all the hardware and the TIME spent reloading

its a wash on the economy $cale

as a hobby to occupy time, its a pleasing past time for many.

Your wife might prefer you to buy the rifle
and spend the reloading time doing something with her

;)

by the time you get all the doodads, benches and brass,
a reloading set up is going to cost you 500 bucks

you can buy over 2000 rounds of FIOCCHI .45 for 500 bucks...

TrapperReady
September 29, 2003, 11:48 AM
Ooh! Ooh!

I know -- Call on me!

Garand.

Now, what's my prize for the right answer?

FPrice
September 29, 2003, 11:51 AM
I vote for the Garand now. Even though CMP estimates a few more years supply (up to seven I believe) I think Dillon will be around longer than the supply of these fine rifles.

RustyHammer
September 29, 2003, 11:51 AM
GARAND! :p

ReadyontheRight
September 29, 2003, 12:11 PM
Follow the law of supply and demand
Purchase yourself an M1 Garand!

:)

While you still can.

(And follow Steve's advice -- learn to shoot from positions, not just off a bench)

Daniel T
September 29, 2003, 12:17 PM
Garand. I'm also joing a CMP club so I can get one of these babies. It'll have to wait a few months, though.

ReadyontheRight
September 29, 2003, 12:24 PM
Demise -- I like your sig line!

ARperson
September 29, 2003, 01:09 PM
I'd also have to say go with the Garand for precisely the reasons mentioned about supply and demand.

Though with our federal government reloading is likely to be just as evil as guns in the next year or so.

Million Mommie: "But these 'gun nuts' reload their own ammunition to deadly power."

Matthew_Q
September 29, 2003, 01:47 PM
Get the Garand. There are a finite number available at the prices the CMP sells them at. They are a STEAL from the CMP!

If you appreciate the M1, you MUST own one. It is a MORAL IMPERATIVE. You can get the Dillon any time.

HankB
September 29, 2003, 01:56 PM
I'll be the lone dissenter - spend your money on something other than a CMP Garand.

The Garand is a fine rifle, but the ones the CMP is selling have been around the block a time or two. Or three. Or four.

They've probably had barrels shot out and replaced repeatedly, been dumped into - and out of - trucks, halftracks, and ships, been taken apart and put back together with mismatched parts, shot with corrosive ammo and not cleaned, etc. Stocks may be split, sights may be loose . . .

In short, the recent $500 CMP Garands I've seen have not been in very impressive condition. When the CMP calls them "serviceable" it means they should function with milspec ball ammo and they're unlikely to blow up in your face, but that's about it.

Now, if you want a CMP Garand because it's a piece of history, and your collection needs one, and you're willing to spend $500 for one sight unseen, great. Go for it. Maybe you'll get lucky and get one that's a cut above the average in condition. And there has to be a little satisfaction at having the U. S. Government ship a rifle right to your door.

But don't be too surprised if the rifle you receive looks like a beaten dog.

RustyHammer
September 29, 2003, 02:28 PM
:banghead:

Jmurman
September 29, 2003, 03:09 PM
On further consdideration, I change my "vote." Get the Garand and some surplus ammo. Please learn to shoot it from positon. I would rather have another Rifleman amongst my ranks than another handloader...though we need them too.

I think that I will do this. I have been "piece mealing" the Dillon set up and I can do that still and even though I might not get a chance to shoot the Garand that much, I still would like to have it before another stupid law is passed.

rayra
September 29, 2003, 03:09 PM
Garand while you can.

Steve in PA
September 29, 2003, 05:06 PM
Get a Garand!!!!

I'm hoping to pick up my second one one of these days!!!

Trebor
September 29, 2003, 05:25 PM
Get the Garand. Dillon will always be making reloaders, but no one is making USGI Garands anymore and the CMP's supply is finite. The CMP is about due for another price increase sometime soon as well.

Stick with the Service Grade option. Stay away from the Rack Grade guns unless you specifically plan to rebarrel the rifle.

dinosaur
September 29, 2003, 05:32 PM
Ever go to a gun show and see what they want for CMP papered Garands? Second hand reloading equipment usually doesn`t go up in value.

MuzzleBlast
September 29, 2003, 05:52 PM
Get the Garand. Dillion isn't likely to go out of business in the coming year. CMP could be legislated out of existance TOMORROW.

QuickDraw
September 29, 2003, 09:15 PM
Definately go for the garand.You'll enjoy shooting it.
While surplus ammo is not as abundant as it once was,
theres still plenty around!Keep your eyes open for a
used Dillon and save a buck! :D

Now get out there and shoot!!!

QuickDraw

Stevie-Ray
September 29, 2003, 09:36 PM
GARAND! Probably because I want one so badly. I might as well be vicariously happy through yours.:D

Hell, I've even thought of stocking up on surplus .30-06 and clips, on the off chance I might find one I can't live without................

Gator
September 29, 2003, 11:24 PM
Get the Garand!!!

Here's a pic of my latest CMP Garand:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/paa2a1a032f8257603bb4d88b53e12d98/fb06ecf9.jpg

It's a 5.9 Million SA with original barrel (TE of slightly over one, ME of slightly less than one) and it dosen't get much better than that! It looks like it was carried some, but hardly ever fired.

I also volunteered at CMP South recently and examined many M1's; there are some real beauties waiting to be sent out. You can't lose if you get a CMP Garand, it will be a functional rifle and a piece of American history.

BamBam-31
September 30, 2003, 05:25 AM
If the CMP barrel's shot out and/or eroded, re-barrel to .308!

(Nomex undies on!!)

Go ahead, nay away. Wait'll Swampy gets here....

:D

Jmurman
September 30, 2003, 05:44 AM
It's a 5.9 Million SA with original barrel (TE of slightly over one, ME of slightly less than one)

What does the "TE" and "ME" mean?

Rock45
September 30, 2003, 08:10 AM
by the time you get all the doodads, benches and brass,
a reloading set up is going to cost you 500 bucks

Ha Ha...3 presses (and a new bench to accomadate them) later...pretty sure we've got WAY more $$ than that tied up in reloading.

But, it's still a load of fun!

riverdog
September 30, 2003, 12:29 PM
What does the "TE" and "ME" mean?
TE= Throat Erosion (TE=~1 is probably a new barrel)
ME=Muzzle Erosion (usually you simply hear that the muzzle is tight)

Gator
September 30, 2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks Riverdog!

If you get a CMP Service Grade Garand you will not get one with a worn out barrel. The throat erosion (TE) will be less than five on a USGI TE gage and the muzzle will gage at less than three. Throat erosion occurs whenever a round is fired and is used as a rough judge of the condition of the barrel. USGI gages go from one to ten, and the erosion will increase by roughly one increment every thousand rounds. When TE reaches ten the barrel is declared unserviceable. Muzzle wear, or erosion, is caused by cleaning from the muzzle, and has a much greater impact on accuracy than TE. The muzzle gage I use is from Fulton Armory, a reading of "0" is .300, "1" is .301, etc., etc. Service grade rifles would have been issued to the troops.

cracked butt
October 1, 2003, 03:13 AM
Here's the 'dog' of a Garand I recently received from CMP that has probably been run over by a tank, dropped in the ocean, and has had its stock used as sledge hammer:D
Sure its mismatched, has a new looking barrel, isn't a correct WWII piece, in fact it was made well after WWII, but its still a GARAND :neener: and a good shooter as well.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/387722/Picture015.jpg

cracked butt
October 1, 2003, 03:17 AM
Oops, got a little carried away and forgot to mention- get the Garand, they don't make them anymore like they used to, and when CMP runs out they won't be priced the way they used to when you have to buy one on the open market. I don't see Dillon going out of business anywhere in the near future, their reloaders will still be available when the Garands are not.

If you enjoyed reading about "A real Garand dilema" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!