How about a Million Gun March?

PDA

ToadPS
November 22, 2008, 11:34 PM
On a couple of other boards I visit there has been an idea kicked around for doing one of the famous "million" marches in DC in support of the 2nd and to clearly demonstrate to the Congressional leadership that there is strong popular support for the 2nd before they get going on another AWB.

One would think a Million Rifleman March would get their attention.

I think it would need national organization and publicity and it would seem that the NRA would be an outfit that could handle the job.

I'm going to write to them and suggest the idea; I doubt I'll be the first one to do so.

Any other outfits with money, publicity and clout that come to mind? Might as well send a few letters, electronic stamps are still cheap!

If you enjoyed reading about "How about a Million Gun March?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rrflyer
November 22, 2008, 11:44 PM
a large organized group of known gun owners marching on a nations capital sounds like a recipe for disaster. For some reason I get visions of the bonus army flashing.

but thats just me.

ToadPS
November 22, 2008, 11:54 PM
I don't think it will be necessary to carry rifles during the march. :)

In fact, one of the main things would be to present an all-American demeanor and appearance.

CSestp
November 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
love the idea.

rrflyer
November 23, 2008, 12:09 AM
ToadPS

Both of your comments are why I get flashs of the bonus army.

I'm not saying its a horrible idea i just think itd be very easy for someone to get the wrong idea about it.

ReadyontheRight
November 23, 2008, 12:36 AM
Such a protest would have to be managed very well in today's political climate. I agree that it could backfire like the "Bonus Army".

The reality is that those who care about RKBA are those who WORK (and drive the economy), so they have no time to go to D.C.

But if we did, such a domestic "crisis" for the new administration would be a handy diversion from our current economic problems.

“Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We’re about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don’t remember anything else I said. Watch, we’re gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.”

“I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate, And he’s gonna need help. And the kind of help he’s gonna need is, he’s gonna need you - not financially to help him - we’re gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it’s not gonna be apparent initially, it’s not gonna be apparent that we’re right.”

“I’ve forgotten more about foreign policy than most of my colleagues know, so I’m not being falsely humble with you. I think I can be value added, but this guy has it,” the Senate Foreign Relations chairman said of Obama. “This guy has it. But he’s gonna need your help. Because I promise you, you all are gonna be sitting here a year from now going, ‘Oh my God, why are they there in the polls? Why is the polling so down? Why is this thing so tough?’ We’re gonna have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years. So I’m asking you now, I’m asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you’re going to have to reinforce us.”

“There are gonna be a lot of you who want to go, ‘Whoa, wait a minute, yo, whoa, whoa, I don’t know about that decision’,” Biden continued. “Because if you think the decision is sound when they’re made, which I believe you will when they’re made, they’re not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they’re popular, they’re probably not sound.”

-Joe Biden, Vice President-Elect, United States of America-

In terms of RKBA...what Obama decision in response to a "terrorist" attack would not be "popular"? And need "reinforcement" by Obama supporters?

Remember how quick the main-stream-media is to point out that we have domestic terrorists too.

I just hope I'm wrong.

If they start driving new anti-RKBA legislation, then let's MARCH!

ToadPS
November 23, 2008, 12:49 AM
The reality is that those who care about RKBA are those who WORK (and drive the economy), so they have no time to go to D.C.

True. When I wrote the NRA I suggested the 4th of July holiday as it would be a long weekend and might help with that problem; also it has significance with respect to Liberty.

7.62X25mm
November 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
Like "Take your daughter to work" campaigns.

"Take your gun to work." -- openly park it next to your work station. Send a message about

"A well regulated militia . . . "

I'm not talking about being confrontive or belligerent. Just let's have a show of gun owners in the population.

Jan 20, 2009 seems like a good day --

7.62X25mm
November 23, 2008, 01:54 AM
I don't think it will be necessary to carry rifles during the march.

In fact, one of the main things would be to present an all-American demeanor and appearance.

Few things in this world more significantly "AMERICAN" in demeanor and appearance than RKBA.

Hoplophile
November 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
I have little to add except the "All-American" part needs to be very broadly interpreted. The more we can incorporate women and minorities into the march, the better. It is very hard to vilify a multi-cultural group without looking like a racist dipstick. We should hold up signs in English, Spanish, German, Afrikaans, Basque, whatever. Make it clear to them that we aren't KKK members, just a cross section of how America really is.

Arthur_500
November 27, 2008, 03:20 AM
We wouldn't be allowed to carry firearms in Washington anyway. But we need to be visible.
I have tried to be quiet about my sports so as not to offend anyone or give them the idea that i am some sort of paranoid crazy. Most have no idea that I frequently carry a firearm. But we need to let people understand that we are not nuts but your co-workers, friends and neighbors. We vote. We purchase things and we deserve to be treated no differently than any other law-abiding citizen.
Why is it that some politicians are so much smarter than any of us that they can determine what is good for us? It is because we dummies vote for them.
I'm for such a March because it is necessary. Show me how many millions have ever showed up before? I'll bet we could get a million gun owners - including a bunch of politicians.

hobgob
November 27, 2008, 04:30 AM
There are a politicians on our side, but we need to show them that we have enough committed bodies for the march. We need to be there in volumes so that we can show our strength and also our civility! As our founders intended!
Also, I agree with Hoplophile. I can't agree more! Except I don't think the language matters as much as their presence.

nwilliams
November 27, 2008, 06:08 AM
Maybe if you mustered up a million gun owners within easy driving distance from DC this idea might work. However I doubt you'd get very many gun owners from around the country buying expensive plane tickets to fly out for such an event. With the economy the way it is right now hard working gun owners probably have more to worry about then marching on Washington for the vague possibility that it might do any good.

Sorry I don't mean to be the voice of gloom here but I just don't see it happening. I think most gun owners are going to spending what little spare cash they have on guns and ammo right now as opposed to plane tickets to a march. However I don't see why you couldn't hold a demonstration all the same, you may not get a million people to show up but there are probably many thousands of gun owners within easy reach of DC who could find the time for a gun rally to draw attention to the RKBA cause.

Docgmt
November 27, 2008, 07:50 AM
See the gun ban on the President elects web site http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy_agenda/ look under Crime and Law Enforcement

JaxNovice
November 27, 2008, 09:38 AM
What would end up happening is that no one would show up except for a few die hards. They would end up, along with the rest of us, looking like fools.

savage116
November 27, 2008, 01:47 PM
I am younger and don't have my license yet but in a couple years after I get my license I would drive from PA to D.C. because I feel my rights are endangered.
We the people are the militia.I don't know what they don't understand.Due to the fact I am in school and with the election there was a lot of talk.In my school a lot of students find gun rights important.They thought obama wasn't going to do anything until I showed them everything he has said.One of my friends said that we didn't need "assault weapons".When I told him that my modded SKS that he liked shooting was considered an assault weapon he changed his mind.
Some people are fools and listen to everything they here on TV.

benEzra
November 27, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'd personally be concerned about anti-gun plants dressing up like their favorite stereotype and parading for the cameras (and the cameras would seek them out). It doesn't matter if you get a million responsible gun owners there, if the one media interview that gets shown is a Brady Bunch plant posing as an "ignorant, racist gun owner."

I think the hundreds of millions of dollars that would be spent on something like that would be better spent elsewhere, personally.

MrMendigo
November 27, 2008, 05:37 PM
I totally agree with your idea of an "Expanded All American" gathering. There are more than just WASP's that are concerned by what the future holds.

KINGMAX
November 27, 2008, 08:07 PM
Get it organized and I will be there.

chemist308
November 28, 2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe if you mustered up a million gun owners within easy driving distance from DC this idea might work. However I doubt you'd get very many gun owners from around the country buying expensive plane tickets to fly out for such an event. With the economy the way it is right now hard working gun owners probably have more to worry about then marching on Washington for the vague possibility that it might do any good.

It's not easy driving distance, but I'd be there.

monkyboy1975
November 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
Count me in! This needs to be done; whether on the local level, in D.C. or both. Plus more folks need to actually go pay a visit to their Congressman/ Senators , as I have heard that their staff actually tend to treat letters and e-mails as office jokes:cuss:

gitnsige
November 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'd drive the 6 hrs from CT. Of the 70 million or so gun owners out there it shouldn't be too hard to have 1 mil show up.

7.62X25mm
December 1, 2008, 04:04 AM
"Great American Shootout" --

Like the "Great American Smoke Out" . . . Yeah, I realize the name is a bad pun. But the concept is that we make note of who the armed Americans are in the USA.

Pick a day. Show us your guns . . . annually.

ToadPS
December 1, 2008, 11:04 AM
Well, the NRA apparently would not support such a march.

That's all I have to say about that.

Except that while I will remain an NRA member I am going to look around for and support a more aggressive organization that supports/defends the RKBA.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your suggestion that NRA promote a pro-gun rally in Washington, D.C..

While we have entertained the idea of sponsoring such an event in the past, we have decided against it thus far because of the huge logistical undertakings involved and the fact that the media, no doubt, would slant the coverage so badly that in the long run, such an event would not be beneficial to our cause.

Additionally, if the turnout was anything less than anticipated, the media would report that support for the NRA and the Second Amendment was waning. Please note that we have not permanently ruled out such a rally, and have organized several rallies at the state level in response to legislative emergencies. In fact, during the debate on the 1994 Crime bill, NRA encouraged and sponsored many of these rallies right in the districts of various lawmakers. Unfortunately rallies are not always successful in blocking anti-gun legislation -- as was evidenced by passage of Clinton's Crime bill despite numerous demonstrations. This points to a central flaw in relying on rallies as legislative tools -- no one-day event, however large or well-organized, can be seen as a "silver bullet" that will settle an issue once and for all. Only a sustained and concerted grassroots effort will ultimately spell victory for gun owners. Please review this website for information on how you can get more involved on the local level: www.nraila.org/actioncenter

Cordially,
Angus McClellan
NRA-ILA Grassroots

Lonest@r
December 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
It's been brought up before, but like here, it was shot down by most...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=404900 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=404900)

Why can't we organize a NRA or 2A type rally or demonstration. The GAYS organized a national Civil Rights demonstration in protest of PROP 8 in California (there was even one in KY) simply using email, MySpace and Facebook and are effectively getting it overturned.

Prion
December 1, 2008, 12:33 PM
I agree with the NRA. Too risky, the media could take whatever slant on it they wanted and make us look like whackos. And what if a bunch of fringe groups like the KKK decided to use it further their cause? Then we would all be lumped together and it would hurt our cause. People are looking for any reason to pigeonhole us as nuts and one idiot could give them the incident they need. Let's face it, not all gunowners are the kinds of people we want representing us and an event like this would surely bring out those attentioning starved nuts who would pull some crap to get on the news. And the anti's could use an event like this to their advantage by creating a fake group of "gun-nuts" that do interviews and make false statements. A few guys dressed up in full camo with grim painted skull faces looking like a death squad on the evening news would scare enough Americans to devastate our cause. It would just be too easy to manipulate an event like this to further the anti's cause.

Sig 226 .40
December 31, 2008, 02:10 AM
Just to make more of an impression...each marcher holding a sign with their profession on it. Doctors, lawyers, carpenters, plumbers, nurses, secretary...might make an impression of just who is a gun owner.
I work for a judge who is a staunch Democrat. She is one example of not judging(no pun intended) a book by the cover. She is a gun owner and used to shoot for her college years ago. AND she backs gun ownership fully!
To display the diversity of gun owner backgrounds would be astounding to see!! Just a thought though.

jerkface11
December 31, 2008, 02:18 AM
How can one back gun ownership fully and be a staunch democrat? Isn't gun control on their party platform?

Sig 226 .40
December 31, 2008, 02:31 AM
Well, I know the Judge keeps a nice .38 handy...is a hell of a shot and enjoys shooting. She is not an Obama heavy leaner though. I told her once that she'd make a great Republican though! She laughed over that! Her Democrat ideologies are of the old school Democrats where they once fought for the peoples rights in a distant past.

The_Bullzeye_Guy
December 31, 2008, 03:38 AM
My parents both have their FL carry permits. I will be 20 this Oct and can't wait until my 21st so I can get mine too..I feel that one should be able to carry in all states...there'd be much less crime....

I would be up for marching/walking...I think that you have to sell this idea to the younger folks..get them involved...

and there are almsot 90 million gun owners in this country...if 1 million people showed up to hear Mr. Luther King's speech, we can get 1 million people or more to show up to this...even if its just people from the east coast..and the semi mid west..like Ohio..or places like that...People from FL love their guns, so we can expect some from there too..

KC0QGL
December 31, 2008, 04:18 AM
I would go in for it.

See the gun ban on the President elects web site http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy_agenda/ look under Crime and Law Enforcement

Also look at the Homeland Secturity part.

taprackbang
December 31, 2008, 08:51 AM
love the idea.

+1 here!

notorious
December 31, 2008, 09:34 AM
The logistics would dictate that this be at least 1 year out at minimum.

Also, how would you ensure QC and prevent infiltration by those who will purposely make us look bad. You don't think the Democrats logged on Republican sites and said they are disillusioned Republicans who turned and planted all sorts of defeatist rhetoric in this last election? That's why John McCain had to keep saying don't give up on me and get out and vote. The insidious nature of some of the fringe groups pushing their agenda by any means necessary really astounds me.

Also, forget about getting any useful info on change.gov. That site, as befits the name, changes daily. Anytime something stupid on it gets called out, it gets taken down and rewritten and all of a sudden, the old stuff is covered up like it never existed. Reminds me of 1984 when Big Brother tells you what is and what was and it can change at anytime.

Have the NRA coordinate with GOA and each State's official club and their regional intrastate affiliates. Then filter it down to the local clubs and shooting groups.

An alternative would be to have separate marches at each State's capitol, but all on the same day, which makes it easier for the working American gunowner to participate and can still generate the same publicity or more since it not only shows the nation but also each state legislature individually, instead of them just seeing a big mass at DC without knowing how many are from their own state.

Lord knows the CA legislature needs a wake up call and a ride back to reality.

armedandsafe
January 1, 2009, 05:02 PM
Those of us who can't or won't attend such a rally have an alternative idea which might be affective.

http://www.righttokeepandbeararms.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=327

My saw is busy.

Pops

SilentStalker
January 1, 2009, 09:47 PM
The sad thing is I don't think anything will ever happen, I hope people prove me wrong but I believe that most are too lazy. Too many people keep coming up with excuses about why they cannot or should not do anything at all which is exactly the kind of response that some at Big Brother are expecting. Every idea I have seen thusfar has been flushed down the toilet for some reason or another be it excuses, not enough participation, lack of funds, lack of support, whatever. I have read over some good ideas and yet everyone of them has been shot down, well as far as I can tell. Everybody I talk to just says support the NRA, give them money and write them, etc. How many of you already do that? How many of you have seen a decent response from them? Has the NRA really done anything much for you lately? I haven't seen much from them but maybe I am missing something. My point here is that people need to quit making up excuses and just act otherwise it it going to be too late. I personally believe that it is going to take something huge to get people to change their ways and from what I have been reading and have heard the support isn't there to orchestrate anything large enough to get anyone to listen.

The funny thing is that this brings me to another point even if they let us keep our guns I don't see it benefiting us much. The reason I say this is because the whole 2nd amendment was set-up so that a militia could be armed and ready if the need ever arose. Well, theoretically say something happened 5 years from now in which the need for a militia came to fruition, as far as I can see it would not be a very effective militia. A good militia needs to be organized and orchestrated well and we cannot even seem to rally enough people to make an effective enough movement to save out rights to bear arms. Call me crazy but if we cannot organize that then what makes any of us think that organizing a decent militia is possible if it were needed? You could say that it would be possible at that time because it was under more pressing circumstances. However, IMO these are just as pressing circumstances, maybe a different sort of circumstances, but just as important since technically organizing a campaign to save the 2nd amendment could be considered a militia in itself.

theotherwaldo
January 1, 2009, 11:35 PM
Would this be a good time and place for an empty-holster march?

notorious
January 2, 2009, 01:34 AM
Haha... yeah, the Open Carry movement in California has been debating that forever and talking about an Open Carry march... imagine that.

In CA, you can open carry on a belt holster as long as the gun is UNLOADED and you can have your mags loaded on an off-side holster and still be legal, and some have started doing it that way around town.

I don't fault them for doing it but pulling that off would entail logistics on a scale that the military couldn't pull off because any little mistake can cost lives there, not to mention just looking so bad that it ends up hurting the cause more than anything else.

Lonest@r
January 3, 2009, 11:37 PM
At least some guy is trying.....

http://2ndamendmentmarch2009.lefora.com/forum/

ANd for the NRA...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=405947

I can't understand why a multi-million dollar organization cannot effectively organize it's members for the cause in which they represent, other than "give us more money and we''l take care of it". Meanwhile, others can organize nationwide protests online using email, MySpace and other FREE tools, such as those protest for PROP 8 and immigration, effectively working together for common cause.

SilentStalker
January 4, 2009, 12:01 AM
^^^Awesome, now we all need to join and contribute to the cause.

Geno
January 4, 2009, 12:19 AM
I was fine with the NRA's letter right up to the point where the tucked-tail and ran from the media.

notorious
January 4, 2009, 02:27 AM
I still back the NRA because they are the biggest and they are a force to be reckoned with in politics. Of course they got the other side using them as a sounding board and as the boogie man but that's the arena they are fighting in.

MikePGS
January 4, 2009, 02:02 PM
I definitely don't think an armed march would be a good idea, unarmed would be brilliant though. As for the NRA, if they had their way D.C. vs Heller would never have happened.

notorious
January 4, 2009, 04:27 PM
My concern even with an unarmed march is QC. How do we make sure we don't have infiltrators from the other side who will make a scene and a disturbance so it will color all of us poorly?

Don't think the radical antis have not resorted to those tactics before where they pretend to be one of us only to spread defeatist rhetoric and convince others to see the light and convert because they too, saw the error of their ways.

All they have to do is have a few of their people act up and throw a few bottles at the cops or run to the camera and make stupid comments about how they want to have machine guns and kill any government agent that tries to take their guns and you know how much media coverage that will get versus the intelligent doctor or businessman who's in the rally and just wants to show America how normal people are gunowners too.

Colt Smith
January 25, 2009, 01:38 PM
The Million Mom March got big headlines and people still remember that crap today. Why don't pro-gun supporters organize then descend on Washington DC en mass by the millions? On foot or in cars we would tie up traffic and stand shoulder to shoulder in a highly visible and symbolic way. It would be nice if we could all go armed but that probably wouldn't be a good idea. But we could all wear an empty holster on our hip. It would generate a lot of news coverage and might give the anti-gun crowd a taste of what they can expect if they insist on poking a sleeping giant with their pointy little sticks.

Treo
January 25, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think the powers that be would take any such demonstration as a direct threat Baad Ju-Ju

jal5
January 25, 2009, 01:51 PM
Definitely not carrying, even empty holsters would be seen as threatening. But the idea of a march for the 2nd Amendment is not a bad one, and would generate a lot of coverage. Maybe the NRA or other groups would get behind this idea and promote it, would give a lot of press time to explain why we stand up for our rights.

Joe

tasco 74
January 25, 2009, 02:00 PM
good idea i think.... could be a million rifleman march..... sometimes i wonder if these idiots in dc realize how many there are of us who still believe in constitutional rights...................... it's really too bad the media so biased against us ......... i i'd like see them if the 1st amendment was constantly under attack........

LIFE IS SHORT.....

ToadPS
January 25, 2009, 02:02 PM
NRA isn't interested. I contacted them about this at the end of November.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your suggestion that NRA promote a pro-gun rally in Washington, D.C..

While we have entertained the idea of sponsoring such an event in the past, we have decided against it thus far because of the huge logistical undertakings involved and the fact that the media, no doubt, would slant the coverage so badly that in the long run, such an event would not be beneficial to our cause.

Additionally, if the turnout was anything less than anticipated, the media would report that support for the NRA and the Second Amendment was waning. Please note that we have not permanently ruled out such a rally, and have organized several rallies at the state level in response to legislative emergencies. In fact, during the debate on the 1994 Crime bill, NRA encouraged and sponsored many of these rallies right in the districts of various lawmakers. Unfortunately rallies are not always successful in blocking anti-gun legislation -- as was evidenced by passage of Clinton's Crime bill despite numerous demonstrations. This points to a central flaw in relying on rallies as legislative tools -- no one-day event, however large or well-organized, can be seen as a "silver bullet" that will settle an issue once and for all. Only a sustained and concerted grassroots effort will ultimately spell victory for gun owners. Please review this website for information on how you can get more involved on the local level: www.nraila.org/actioncenter

Cordially,
Angus McClellan
NRA-ILA Grassroots

Blakenzy
January 25, 2009, 02:11 PM
That NRA representative is full of it. Way too negative and dismissive. Any press is good press, unless it involves a shooting at the rally of course...

But the again, maybe he is right about us gun owners being too apathetic to move our butts and get something done.

January 25, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'll go.
I friggen hate D.C. with passion but I would do it.

Bellevance
January 25, 2009, 06:48 PM
...unless it involves a shooting at the rally of course...

Yeah, exactly. I wouldn't worry as much about the media's distortion of the coverage as about the possibility that one or two armed wingnuts out of several hundred thousand 2nd A supporters might do something really stupid and thus completely blacken the event's mission and implications for us and everybody else. And believe me, that's all it would take.

Duke of Doubt
January 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure some of you understand D.C. Years ago I used to work in that bizarre place, so allow me to give you the benefit of that perspective.

Demonstrations and rallies take place on the Mall EVERY DAY. Not all of them are deemed newsworthy.

Some of them are even pretty big, yet get no press coverage.

We could show up a quarter million strong, and get no time on the news whatsoever. It's happened before.

Grey_Mana
January 26, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hold the March in Arlington, across the river from DC. Viriginia has reciprocity with many states for ccw.

If you just want to tie up traffic and be a pain, March at Reagan National Airport as Congress is finishing up and going on recess; keep them from being able to get to their planes to leave town.

the_right_reverend
January 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
it not a bad idea forums all over the web are talking about it it may become a reality

in the meantime check out 2x4 Tuesday

Colt Smith
January 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
It's difficult to get a lot of people to travel long distances to congregate for these types of demonstrations. And as has been said, in a town like D.C. demonstrations go unnoticed every day. Perhaps more convenient and to better effect might be this idea. We organize locally and nationally. Each group in their local area ties up a capitol or a main city like New York City or their local largest airport. Each local demonstration organized in concert with other localities across the nation to occur at the same time (time zone adjusted) on the same day. That way people are more likely to show up in larger numbers. Also, they can ignore the event in one location (like D.C.) but surely many other locations will get plenty of media coverage.

But everybody would need to be cool and level-headed. This is a peaceful demonstration. Like the observations above, we don't need any fringe nut jobs blowing it all by doing something stupid.

wally
January 26, 2009, 07:19 PM
Definitely not carrying, even empty holsters would be seen as threatening

Why are you afraid to threaten our new leaders who quickly declared Iraq an "unwinable quagmire" thereby giving comfort to the enemy during time of war?

They need to clearly understand, Australia gun ban utopia ain't happening here without a real fight!

--wally.

the_right_reverend
January 26, 2009, 07:28 PM
Good Point Colt...... 2 Year ago group I belong to put 30,000 Boots On The Ground at the Lincoln Memorial to the Pentagon.... We had absolutely zero msm coverage But the 10,000 we countered the msm was all over them

State demo's can become very effective if done right and enough of them the Messiah will start to take notice...... here in NC we are fixing to have a rally at the state Capital and it looks like we will have a good draw from virginia but on this one we already have a established network from an other .org....

so if your a couple hours drive from RDU come help us @

http://www.whatbubbaknows.com/shallnotbeinfringed/pagehead.jpg

http://www.whatbubbaknows.com/shallnotbeinfringed/

rodomonte
January 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
I would rather see a general protest march by people who want everyone in Congress, except the newly elected/appointed, to resign. Those 535 morons have just about ruined this country. This would generate 10 times as many marchers. You could still have your 2nd amendment protest as an offshoot.

Funderb
January 26, 2009, 09:46 PM
I think that a march is a great idea, it shows people that we are offended by the legislature, and when NOT armed, it shows that we are not a group of peoples that are stricken nude without an armament.

I don't think you are supposed to carry at organized events like that either... I don't carry though. I know sporting events are a no no.

ANYWAY

it's a good idea.

chemist308
January 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
double tap

chemist308
January 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
Has anyone suggested this to the GOA?

If it were to be organized by the Gun Owners of America, the media couldn't slant it as badly if we didn't get the anticipated turn-out. Also, if we did get the expected turn-out the anti-gun politicians are keenly aware that the GOA is smaller than the NRA--that may strike some fear for their careers...

Kalashnikov
January 31, 2009, 01:19 PM
We worry too much about bad press. The majority of the media has it's opinion formed already, so there will not be much swaying them or their coverage to our side. But the effects of being seen, even in a negative light, as one group, united and strong, can certainly change the opinion of those both on the fence and against us. It is easy to pick on the weak and divided. It is another thing entirly to stand against a strong opponent.

Two Cold Soakers
January 31, 2009, 01:54 PM
TTT

I'll go. But springtime.
The cherries are beautiful in DC in late April.

My employer MIGHT even give me paid time off.

MartyG
January 31, 2009, 01:58 PM
Check out resistnet.com It is an fast-growing org of those opposed to O's plans. There are several sub-groups, of which "I resist gun control" is by far the largest. There is also I resist socialism/abortion, etc. But germane to this discussion is the group that is already planning the march of freedom on Washington on May 30th. More than most will be gun supporters. The website is quite extensive, and is growing daily. Check it out!

Yosemite Sam
February 4, 2009, 09:13 PM
Just a thought: If all the people who would do a pro 2A march took the money they would spend on gas, hotels, plane tickets, etc. and instead joined the NRA, GOA, SAF, and donated to their legislative funds, would the money be better spent? Heck, each person doing this march is gonna spend anywhere from $20 to $500+ ... I'd rather that money be spent on increasing memberships and increasing the legal and political funds so our organizations can grow. A million rifleman march would only last one day and a lot of things can go wrong -- you can't really go wrong with adding another $10 million in memberships and lawsuit money. :cool:

butters
February 4, 2009, 09:59 PM
I got this the other day from MCRGO (http://www.mcrgo.org).

Condensed for size...
The Million Gunowner March
by Skip Coryell

I received another email just yesterday. It was from a fellow patriot who said:

"I am a fellow gunowner and supporter of the second amendment. I have been chatting with a bunch of fellow gun lovers on the S&W forum about trying to get a million man march on Washington organized. Since I know very little about doing so, I thought I'd write you on behalf of all of us. We would like to get some help organizing such an event. We would like to be able to get the word out to as many gun owners as possible and encourage them to join us."

That idea struck me as good, so I got involved. First, I emailed Ted Nugent and asked him to headline a "Million Gunowner March" on Washington DC. Here is his response:

"It is time. IF coordinated with NRA, GOA, JFPOFO, MCRGO, SCI, NWTF, RMEF, DU, FNAWS, etc etc & all gunrights orgs, I would be proud to join/lead the fray!!!"

This is how it works folks. Every revolution throughout history has always started with a single person. One ordinary person wakes up, looks around and says "Hey! This isn't right! Someone should do something! "And that someone is you and I. We are one small part of the Million Gunowner March. The next thing I did was email Chuck Perricone, Executive Director of Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gunowners and asked if they'd like to be involved. His response was similar to Ted's:

"The answer is, "YES"...and we'd like to handle the press/recruiting. We can knock this out of the park. FANTASTIC idea, Skip."

Hmmm, I see some possibilities here. I see excitement. I see motivation. I see patriots with guns! I see a peaceful (but loud) march on Washington DC, on the Capitol steps, down Pennsylvania Avenue, with Ted Nugent singing his electrified version of the National Anthem as loud as he can. Maybe I can get Toby Keith too? And I like that song by LC Greenwood "God Bless the USA". That one just brings chills to my tired, old, gun-totin' body.

I'll have to check into that. In the meantime, I logged on and bought the domain name www.milliongunownermarch.com. It is my donation to the cause. Now, since I'm computer clumsy, we need someone to step forward and build the website. Any computer-savvy volunteers out there willing to build a website for us?

You know the frustrating part of a movement, is that too many people wait for someone else to step forward and do what needs doing. It's known as the crowd mentality. People wait until it looks safe, then they step out and join. A few weeks ago I quoted Mark Twain, and it bears repeating.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Well, America, this is the beginning of a change and it is no time for the timid. This is the time for brave men and women to stand up and be counted. Because, I just have a feeling, that America's time may be running out. I don't want to live in a nation of Euro-sheep. I want my children to inherit the freedom our forefathers knew. But freedom has to be protected or it will fall. I suspect, my freedom-loving friends, that we are at a crossroads. Now, assuming we are smart enough to see it, and that we are brave enough to take the road less traveled, perhaps, America, just perhaps, there is still time to save our liberty. The time to act is now. We must march now, or forever hold our piece (rendered inoperable by the government).

So, I'll ask again. "Who's going to build that website?" Send your response to skipcoryell@hotmail.com. But please hurry, Obama is warming up his fiddle.

Skip Coryell lives with his wife and children in Michigan. He is the author of six books including his newest "RKBA: Defending the Right to Keep and Bear Arms", the Ted Nugent-acclaimed book "Blood in the Streets: Concealed Carry and the OK Corral, the hunting novel "Bond of Unseen Blood", and the Second Amendment novel "We Hold These Truths". He is an NRA Instructor and co-owner of Midwest Tactical Training, teaching CPL classes in both Michigan and Iowa. He also owns and manages White Feather Press. To find out more about Skip, his classes and his writing, go to www.skipcoryell.com and www.mwtac.com.

Also see:
Michigan Takes Lead in Organizing National Gun Rights Rally (http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/view/news.asp?articleid=3923)

mrpackard
February 6, 2009, 08:17 AM
I'm new here and don't want to shoot off my mouth too much. I will say that as an NRA member I trust the judgment of that organization completely. They were in the trenches fighting for our 2nd Amendment rights decades before the Obama ascendency and they were, to my knowledge at least, the only group doing so. For my part, I'll send the money I would have spent in DC to the NRA as a contribution and trust their judgment to spend it where it will do us the most good.

notorious
February 6, 2009, 11:57 AM
Try a few local marches of a few hundred people in your area to start. See how that works out and what bang you get for your buck. Then move on to the county and state levels. If it is successful, you bet some national body will take it up for you.

hso
February 6, 2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.milliongunownermarch.com/

notorious
February 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
Why not just piggyback it with the NRA convention? You will have tons of people there already and who are vetted for the most part as NRA members who are for real. Then take them out to march around in professional attire. It's a start!

akodo
February 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
"We will accomplish our mission by a centralized, peaceful march on the United States Capitol, supported by satellite marches to State Capitols and smaller cities all across America"

I think that is a really great angle. I'd rather see 100,000 show up at each state capitol than 1 million in DC.

Some people talk about 'not from my cold dead hands' and yet won't take a vacation day and a car trip.

The flip side is that 5 days off from work, a plane ticket, and 3 days in a hotel is a LOT of money for many folks.

I think a vacation day and a long car trip isn't to much to ask of people serious about defending their rights. I will go to my state capitol, but it is close. I would also go to any neighboring state capitol. I can definately spare a vacation day and put in a 10 hour trip each way to defend RKBA

Of course, this only works if others are willing to do it. I pledge I will. Who else will?

dcal
February 7, 2009, 08:01 PM
I plan on going to DC. I'm in NJ so it's only around 4 hours by car. Our local gun rights org (njcsd.org) is going to setup a charter bus or carpool if we get enough people to commit to it. This is precisely why it is important to have national and local gun rights organizations get involved.

The idea of NRA, GOA, JFPO, etc. all combining their forces is quite a big deal and a requirement if this is to succeed.

feedthehogs
February 7, 2009, 09:49 PM
Its much more effective to stay home and continualy tie up the capital switch board with calls.

No chance of some nut doing something stupid and it would send a clear message, pass something and your out.

We did many local protests against the MMM in their hey day. They got the press, we did not.

Making sure those who attended carried themselves like responsible gun owners was not only a nightmare, but many folks who's hearts were in the right place but minds were not got upset when told to leave with the mall ninja clothes on.

Why chance it when phones calls are much easier.

butters
February 11, 2009, 12:22 AM
Taken from the Frequently Asked Questions area on the site:

I can't travel all the way to DC. Is there another way I can be a part?

Absolutely! Satellite marches and rallies will be planned and scheduled all across the nation in state capitols and even in lesser cities. If two farmers and a herd of cows in Iowa want to register a march with us, then so be it. This isn't just for those who have the means to travel, but for hard-working Americans everywhere. If you wish to sponsor a march in your hometown, please register here on the site (coming soon).

notorious
February 11, 2009, 12:52 AM
How about marches in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Berkeley, and a few other ultra-liberal anti-gun cities to show that there are hardworking gun owners in their midst?

Covey Leader
February 11, 2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=427122

I also posted this in the rallying point section. I didnt know it was already posted here. We need to do whatever we can to get this done.

notorious
February 11, 2009, 01:09 AM
Good point as mentioned previously, we should get to the local marches and send in the money we save by not traveling to DC to a national body for lobbying and legislative fights.

Of course, that means a few thousand from Hawaiians and Alaskans and $10 from local DC and Virginians.

Evenflo76
February 11, 2009, 10:52 AM
I believe that it would be a large waste of time and resources. The Democrats/Progressives in Washington, and those who feed them are not trying to do away with the second amendment.

They know that they would never be able to do so. Heller helped us there. What they will do is the same thing they always do in every other situation. They will use a back door. i.e. AWB, Ammo Tax, Ban Carry. I honestly believe the AWB in its current form would never pass. Banning Hunting Rifles and all calibers 22 and up. It's ridiculous and they know it. This is why the bill has not left committee in 5 years. They also know that the industry is very strong right now, and has taken in Billions of dollars. If the congress tried to vote on this ban, the lobbyists would not just be from the firearm industry. Think of all the accessory manufacturers that would take huge losses. Even the power sports industry like Suzuki and Honda would stand to lose money if less people were buying quads to get into the woods with. It's not an issue for todays times anyway. They have bigger fish to fry right now.

Our time and money is better spent with NRA ( or similar organization ), and advocating Safe, Responsible, Legal Gun ownership.

If we were to march on Washington, it should not just be for the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution, it should be for all of the first 10 amendments as well as our other rights that are infringed upon as a daily exercises by our government. This would show common people are sick of the self governing body that congress has become( and greatly add to our numbers ). We need to take control of our government back, and not just on the issue of self defense. On ALL issues!

The 535 is the biggest Enemy of The People. It's time to raise the standards for admission. My $0.02

notorious
February 11, 2009, 10:46 PM
You really think so, Evenflo?

Evenflo76
February 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
Yes, especially the last two sentences.

BENELLIMONTE
February 12, 2009, 09:34 AM
I would think logistically it would be easier to do marches in each of the state capitals. I would be willing to help out with organizing in Idaho if I could get some help from other likeminded Idahoans. PM me if anyone is interested.

Boba Fett
February 12, 2009, 11:06 AM
I recently emailed the NRA about secondamendmentmarch.com (aka milliongunownermarch.com).

From me to the NRA
I have been reading about the Second Amendment March at http://secondamendmentmarch.com/ What is the NRA's thoughts on this idea and will the NRA back and/or attend the march. Are there any reasons the NRA has that members like myself should not be involved with this.

Reply from the NRA:
Thank you for your suggestion that NRA promote a pro-gun rally in Washington, D.C.. While we have entertained the idea of sponsoring such an event in the past, we have decided against it thus far because of the huge logistical undertakings involved and the fact that the media, no doubt, would slant the coverage so badly that in the long run, such an event would not be beneficial to our cause. Additionally, if the turnout was anything less than anticipated, the media would report that support for the NRA and the Second Amendment was waning.

Please note that we have not permanently ruled out such a rally, and have organized several rallies at the state level in response to legislative emergencies. In fact, during the debate on the 1994 Crime bill, NRA encouraged and sponsored many of these rallies right in the districts of various lawmakers. Unfortunately rallies are not always successful in blocking anti-gun legislation -- as was evidenced by passage of Clinton's Crime bill despite numerous demonstrations. This points to a central flaw in relying on rallies as legislative tools -- no one-day event, however large or well-organized, can be seen as a "silver bullet" that will settle an issue once and for all. Only a sustained and concerted grassroots effort will ultimately spell victory for gun owners.

Please review this website for information on how you can get more involved on the local level: www.nraila.org/actioncenter

Sincerely,

Krista Cupp

NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

I agree with the NRA's concerns about a march backfiring and that no one march will be the end all be all. But I'm still for going to Washington D.C. and marching anyway. I do think we need to go big with such a march as well as maintain the grassroots efforts.

Boba Fett
February 12, 2009, 11:08 AM
Anyone else having issues getting into secondamendmentmarch.com / milliongunownermarch.com ?

Covey Leader
February 13, 2009, 12:38 AM
Anyone else having issues getting into secondamendmentmarch.com / milliongunownermarch.com ?

Not as of 1126 pm.

I know some on here have said that this may be a mistake or that they would rather donate to the NRA. Thats your opinion and i respect it. But when is enough ..enough? What if each one of us donated 1 or 2 dollars to this cause. I know that many members on here are far away from DC, but what is wrong with doing a peaceful rally in your state? I just dont see how this could be negative to our fight.

I am worried about the future of my country and my 2nd amendment rights. I am a proud NRA member and will continue to donate to them. I just dont want to stand by and watch this administration reak havoc on our gun rights. I live in NJ and believe me, we already have some strict gun laws for law abiding citizens. I dont want to see NJ laws come to a national level. I will do whatever i can to prevent that.

Boba Fett
February 13, 2009, 07:47 AM
Well, the NRA does have a point. The media can easily slant this negatively. If even a couple of marchers are stupid, the media would use them to vilify the rest of us.

Example?

Washington DC does not allow conceal carry and has no reciprocity with any other states. So what if one of our marchers decides to break DC law and carry anyway and then does something stupid and gets caught. Then the media and anti-gunners will say, "See! THIS is why we need more gun control. They can't be trusted with guns. They broke the law and what is to stop them from doing worse!?"

As for turnout not being a million+, the media would slant it in such a way as to make us look too few and far between AND without any resolve.

But I agree, enough is enough and at some point we have to exercise our power to protest and get our point across. Which is why, even with the possible shortfalls involved, I'm still planning to go.

And, per SecondAmendmentMarch.com, Ted Nugent has agreed to be at the March in 2010. I think if more celebrities signed on, then the turn out would increase. So email all the gun friendly celebs we can! I seem to recall that Bruce Willis is pro gun:
"Everyone has a right to bear arms. If you take guns away from legal gun owners, then the only people who have guns are the bad guys."

May not be accurate, but a Google search found his addresses to be:

1453 Third St. #420
Santa Monica, CA 90401
USA

1122 S. Robertson Blvd. #15
Los Angeles, CA 90035
USA

22470 Pacific Coast Highway
Malibu, CA 90265
USA

So everyone send him a letter! Heck, everyone send ten letters to each address.

Covey Leader
February 14, 2009, 02:27 AM
http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com/

Newsletter link is now up again. sign up! Pass it along.

Just scroll down and enter your email.

notorious
February 14, 2009, 04:20 AM
Well, the NRA does have a point. The media can easily slant this negatively. If even a couple of marchers are stupid, the media would use them to vilify the rest of us.

Example?

Washington DC does not allow conceal carry and has no reciprocity with any other states. So what if one of our marchers decides to break DC law and carry anyway and then does something stupid and gets caught. Then the media and anti-gunners will say, "See! THIS is why we need more gun control. They can't be trusted with guns. They broke the law and what is to stop them from doing worse!?"

That might be the case... but LEOSA lets us carry in DC... just saying... having rank and file cops supporting the cauise would be awesome as well, no?

Just promise to put the squabbles about LEOSA aside. I heard enough of it.

pictoblu
February 14, 2009, 02:53 PM
Long ago I discovered a truth. This truth being : if I want it done right, I gotta do it myself.

To heck with giving more money to pro RKBA organizations, for now. Re-upped for 3 years w/NRA and so they are taken care of for the time being.

This Second Ammendment Rally/March/Show of Support is so much more than just another get together in DC.

It is THE WAKE-UP CALL to the traitors in .gov today. Has the potential to be the biggest thing since July 4, 1776. Obey the Constitution and Bill of Rights, traitors, or else we will be on your doorstep to oversee your incompetence. And be assured that you will be voted out of office.

Making plans to be in DC for this historic event along with my fellow American Brothers and Sisters. No excuses for not being there, other than on death bed, can't get up.

Interceptor_Knight
February 19, 2009, 04:47 AM
I see satellite marches in addition to a large Washington turn out as crucial to the nation wide impact of this.

Guntalk
February 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have been working with the Second Amendment March since Day 6. That is, the idea for the march started on a Monday. The next Sunday, I had Skip Coryell on my radio show, as his first national media appearance.

I immediately sent him a hefty donation (well, hefty for me -- not for George Soros!) to feed the kitty. Seed money is critical on these things.

Many people and many groups have jumped on this -- to support it or to be nay sayers. Some of the groups who immediately want to be involved are the ones seeking/needing validation, and they are groups you do not want involved.

This is, first and foremost, a media event. It will have to be constructed carefully. There will need to be structured news rollouts every few weeks. It will need to be a "big tent" event where all supporters of the Second Amendment are welcome. This includes the Pink Pistols, Liberals, Leftists, Democrats, Republicans, Conservatives, people who do not own guns, gun groups, civil rights groups, and anyone (especially!) that you wouldn't normally associate with guns.

There are many, many people who voted for Obama who would support this.

The moment it becomes an Obama bashing, it is doomed. The moment a speaker starts ranting about "liberals" it loses much of the effectiveness.

This movement has the potential to reach far into the next decade if done correctly. That will take vision, a plan, an understanding of how the media work, a willingness to be single-minded and not care about other issues when working with groups or people who will support the Second, and it will take a lot of money.

It's nice to have Ted involved, but if this becomes a Tedfest, it squanders the opportunity to show the public that we are diverse. There is a way to do this so that it has a real chance to change the way the public views gun owners and the Second Amendment. That, and only that, is the goal. All other calls to make it something else will need to be resisted.

Do not expect much support from the gun groups at first. There's too much of a turf war and a not-invented-here attitude at many of them.

And, since this is a "made for media" event, any roll the NRA has in this will need to be very carefully managed.

There will be some really loud voices telling us we should not do this. It might backfire (yeah, and then someone might introduce a bill to ban modern rifles, or to register guns, or . . . ), it might frighten the public (this is why it will have to be carefully controlled), etc. What some won't be saying, but will be thinking is "how can we make money out of this?"

This is a people's movement. We the people.

It is not a march ON Washington. It is a march in Washington. The difference is small, and it is huge. It is the difference between trying to beat your opponents into submission and understanding that the opposition will never admit that we are right, and we need to be talking to the public.

I'm on board. I'll be there. We'll be talking about it on the radio every week.

notorious
February 23, 2009, 02:16 AM
Amen, it's not about any political ideology or us versus them, it's about Americans who value their 2nd Amendment rights, regardless of any other leanings.

Get that part straight and it will show the true diversity in our ranks.

Marcus5aurelius
February 23, 2009, 10:39 AM
I think it's a great idea. I think we just need to stress that anyone who comes should not actually be carrying their rifles because then it would be a recipe for disaster. As far as an American march for the 2nd amendment that's not a bad idea at all.

Guntalk
February 23, 2009, 10:52 AM
The folks organizing the march have made it clear that people should not bring guns to the D.C. march.

At other locations, where guns are legal, all that is being said is to obey the law.

notorious
February 23, 2009, 02:49 PM
DC gets an annual infusion of foreign guns every May when the National Law Enforcement Memorial Week takes place. You think every cop there is unarmed?

I know quite a few cops might be interested in showing support.

Evenflo76
February 26, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'm signed up for their newsletters, and have passed the website link along to others, including the President of our local 2nd Amendment Club.

I may not be in DC, but my voice will be heard!

hso
February 28, 2009, 11:33 AM
No one should carry while in a march in DC. There is no legal accommodation for permit holders with the District. The very idea is destructive to helping win the political and cultural struggle we are facing.

There's a lot of talk going on here, but not a lot of organizing to do anything. Perhaps the http://secondamendmentmarch.com/ is the best way to get something done on this, but I would expect us to be able to come up with some ideas that would actually help make this come about.

gunfire876
March 1, 2009, 10:32 PM
We should do all we can for this cause.

leadcounsel
March 2, 2009, 12:48 PM
Count me in.

MT GUNNY
March 2, 2009, 01:59 PM
If anyone in Washington State Or Idaho Drives Throught Montana to get there, Pick me up Ill help with the Gas Bill!

Evenflo76
March 3, 2009, 10:35 AM
If we all add the hotlink to www.secondamendmentmarch.com to our sig lines on this and any other forums, the word will be spread...

Olympus
March 12, 2009, 12:23 PM
I'm from the midwest and I'd surely make a trip out there for the march!

I think we've already tossed the idea of carrying rifles. What about toy rifles for symbolism? Or empty holsters like the college students wore protesting the no CCW rules on college campuses?

When my dad was my age or maybe younger, he and a bunch of his friends made the trip to DC for the Tractorcade. I wished I was alive then because I would have loved to have been there.

Sheldon J
July 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
Went to a meeting last night hosted by a guy named Skip Corell, he has planned a million gun owner march on Washington April 19, 2010 to be proceeded by a state capital march.... Sounds very interesting....

Anyone interested in helping, joining or being there can check out his website at Second Amendment March (http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com/)

Sheldon J
July 18, 2009, 11:07 PM
come on people let's get active and support this sending a strong message the Washington.... feel free to copy and pass around too....

The_Shootist
July 18, 2009, 11:43 PM
Sounds tempting - if done right. I take it we'd just have signs slung over our backs and not our AK's :evil:

Sheldon J
July 19, 2009, 11:29 PM
Defiantly no guns at this gun rally, we do not want to look like bunch of nut jobs....

2RCO
July 19, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'm in if it is done the smart way. I'd like to see the whole crew wearing wristbands as well.

hso
July 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
As you can see the discussion on this started back in November of '08.

Probably the best thing to do is work with 2A march folks to make sure that participation is impressive.

Visit them at http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com/

chuckusaret
July 20, 2009, 01:39 AM
I agree with the NRA. Too risky, the media could take whatever slant on it they wanted and make us look like whackos.

I agree, but it should be done. The problem I see is that the news media would not honestly report on the event and down play attendance and overplay in incidents even the most minor. The million man march a few years past went off fairly well.

2RCO
July 20, 2009, 01:44 AM
Chuck I like the idea as I've posted--My one fear is that all we would need is one or two idiots to do something stupid and it would be all over the news.

Heres the nightmare scenario --some idiot comes to the event with a loaded weapon gets into it with an LEO fires shots. Boom= big win for the Antis.

We'll have to control bad apples on our own somehow.

danbrew
July 20, 2009, 10:26 AM
Sadly, American gun owners are a pretty apathetic bunch. Many believe that if it doesn't infringe upon their narrow field of the sport, they're ok if the government wants to outlaw machineguns, "assault rifles", "high capacity" feeding devices, etc.

On the one hand, I think the apathetic gun owners out there all deserve what they get, but on the other hand there are things that could be done.

Like them or not, the NRA is probably one of the best alternatives for those that want to write a check. I don't personally think the NRA has been that effective for what I care about the most (protecting the 2nd amendment, right to carry, etc.), but that still hasn't stopped me from sending them $500 every year for the last twenty years. I do believe that the NRA has some good shooting programs for youth and that will be one way to keep the 2nd amendment viable for future generations.

Given that there are about 80,000,000 gun owners in America, it's pretty sad that there are only about 4,300,000 NRA members. That's about 5.3%. There's probably a better way to think about the numbers, but assume that these 5% (4,300,000) of the gun owning Americans would be inclined to think positively towards a march on Washington (and that’s a stretch because most of us here at THR don’t think a march would be a viable thing). The typical response rate for a direct marketing piece is about 2%. So, one could theorize that out of that 4M+, about 86,000 would actually consider responding to a call to action for a march. Out of that 86k you’d have folks that would consider distance, time, money, etc. How many people would show up? Maybe 20%. So now you’ve spent all that time and effort reaching out to 4,300,000 folks and then had a turnout of about 17,000. You’d spend a ton of money reaching out to those 4M+ gun owners. The media wouldn’t help you to market to your audience – you’d be on your own in terms of dollars.

You’d also have to deal with the negative consequences of bringing together a bunch of activists. What about all the guys that would want to wear their Nazi and KKK shirts while they wave a rebel flag and talk about God, Guns, and America (and white people)? Even if it was only one guy, that guy would be a media sensation and would forever brand the American “gun movement”. Whether he would be a real life moron or a paid agitator is somewhat irrelevant to our cause.

Would you spend a buck to help? Sure, most would. Many much more. Think about those 80,000,000 gun owners. If each sent a buck to a specific politician each year, our cause could influence politics in a meaningful way. What if there were a pro-gun Senator that we wanted re-elected? $80,000,000 annually is a hell of a contribution to a war chest. I know we’ll never get 80M people to agree on anything. But it’s a hell of a thought, right?

The reality is that gun rights are being eroded in America and we apathetic gun owners will settle for more and more and more restrictive legislation until the 2nd is a distant memory. You’re kidding yourselves if you think your grandchildren will enjoy the same rights that we enjoy today. My take? The only thing that will reverse this erosion will be chaos of an unimaginable scale. As in the chaos of “One Second After” by William R. Forstchen.

chuckusaret
July 21, 2009, 10:27 AM
The removal of our 2nd Amendment rights is just one of the many rights that Obama has plans to either increase the restrictions on or total removal of the peoples rights. IMO we are going to need more than just one march or a dozen marches to get the presidents attention. Obama has an agenda and cares less if he has the approval of the American people. His plan is very clear, drive the nation into a depression and make the people totally dependent on the government-----------Socialism------------he is right on track.

RedAlert
July 21, 2009, 05:08 PM
Sadly, our distributed membership is our best weapon to protect our 2A rights. There is a significant proportion of US citizens who are anti 2A as well as generally afraid of guns in general.

Now you want to parade on National TV so they can see the crowds of gun-owners? I imagine they would actively lash out in fear to anyone who would listen. There are so many more of them than us. It could give the legislators all the excuse they need to really write restrictive gun laws or even start an ammendment to repeal the 2nd amendment. If that ever passed, kiss your guns good-bye.

Stay spread out, stay active,and keep your legislators informed of your concerns and your support for the 2A.

Ralph

RobertRogers
July 25, 2009, 09:27 PM
This is a great idea - and all of armed! They'd never be able to stop a million citizens!

Pack
July 26, 2009, 02:39 AM
The removal of our 2nd Amendment rights is just one of the many rights that Obama has plans to either increase the restrictions on or total removal of the peoples rights. IMO we are going to need more than just one march or a dozen marches to get the presidents attention. Obama has an agenda and cares less if he has the approval of the American people. His plan is very clear, drive the nation into a depression and make the people totally dependent on the government-----------Socialism------------he is right on track.
What the current President wants is total planning and control over the economy, as opposed to or in some cases in addition to communal or government ownership of the economic apparatus itself.

Ergo, the Socialist label is too charitable. If anything, he is a Communist - and would be in the Stalinist tradition, no less, if left to his own devices.

I'm in agreement that such an action would do more harm than good, politically. Why play into the leftist/statist fears of - gasp - the "militia" (they say it like it's a dirty word)? If 1 million of us, armed, are ever to assemble and march anywhere it had better be because we're prepared for a fight.

We'll only get to do it once, as you can be assured that if it's done just to make a peaceful statement, we'll be met with far more than the same.

BUGUDY
July 26, 2009, 12:34 PM
I believe the march would be infiltrated with antis who would act out the worse possible stereotype, and this image would be plastered all over the media. It could not remain a peaceful event, for the same reason, the antis are very organized, and take orders from the very top. Not to mention there funding. Acorn would turn the march into a circus, even with the best planning, it will only take one incident, phony or other wise and the cameras will be running. With our media nowdays, they might plan the incident. Great idea with bad results.
A march of all dissatisfied citizens, a conservative movement, might work better, with the same results in the end for gun owners.

alemonkey
July 26, 2009, 12:52 PM
I believe the march would be infiltrated with antis who would act out the worse possible stereotype, and this image would be plastered all over the media.

I'm afraid you're right. Not all anti's fit this mould, but there are many who are dishonest enough that they wouldn't think twice about planting people to incite violence and then blaming it on us.

BUGUDY
July 26, 2009, 10:12 PM
And the media would be waiting for just that moment. They ( many mainstream medias) also have an agenda .

chuckusaret
July 27, 2009, 09:37 PM
There are many gun forums on the web that have a million man march in the planning stages. I believe we need to get the word to our anti gun president but the march would most likely get us bad press. The news media would not overlook any of our group or outsiders that would cause the most minor incident. The black million man march to DC had many, many major crime issues associated with their marchers but none was reported. We would never be so lucky. I believe we should use newspaper and TV ads that point out the rights that Obama has eliminated and the ones he has plans to eliminate. Diane Fienstein again stated on national news last night that Obama will request a bill to eliminate our 2nd Amendment rights, but she stated that the time is not right to request the bill.

2RCO
July 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
http://www.2rco.com/sitebuilder/images/2ATSHIRTFront2-323x436.jpg

How about everyone picks a day and wears a shirt like this.. Heck I'll make em--you'll have to pay for them thought Mr. 2RCo isn't that rich.

Now available at WWW.SecondAmendmentWristband.COM

If you enjoyed reading about "How about a Million Gun March?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!