legal carry at work in FL?

PDA

matt nasty
January 25, 2009, 11:24 PM
Alright I dont have my CCW yet (working on it), but can I carry concealed at my family's business in the state of Florida legally? I thought I herd it from someone but I am not really sure it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "legal carry at work in FL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
January 25, 2009, 11:36 PM
Very grey, IMHO. Ask a lawyer:

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(1) DECLARATION OF POLICY.--The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to promote firearms safety and to curb and prevent the use of firearms and other weapons in crime and by incompetent persons without prohibiting the lawful use in defense of life, home, and property, and the use by United States or state military organizations, and as otherwise now authorized by law, including the right to use and own firearms for target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, and lawful hunting and other lawful purposes.

(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

GRIZ22
January 26, 2009, 12:32 AM
A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

Are you hanging out or actually working there? I think that would make a difference but as Navy LT said you should ask a lawyer.

matt nasty
January 26, 2009, 12:35 AM
I work there with family members, but anyway ill ask a lawyer to confirm things.

any body have any other info that might be useful..?

matt nasty
January 26, 2009, 10:43 PM
LOL thanks you guys its much appreciated.

p.s. thanks for the warm welcome :)

withdrawn34
January 28, 2009, 02:11 AM
LEGALLY? Sure. But if company policy forbids it, you will be out of a job.

Oh and BTW, I believe "place of business" refers to the business owner or manager. A business owner can carry concealed or open without the need for permit - the same rules as walking around in your house or yard apply for Florida.

MedWheeler
January 29, 2009, 11:16 PM
With the consent of the informed owner of the property you are on, you are not prohibited from carrying, concealed or openly, a firearm while on private property not open to the public at the time. This would include homes of friends and privately-owned businesses that are "off-hours", provided you are authorized to be on the premises.
However, if a business that is privately-owned is open to the public ("on-hours"), you would need to be an "on-duty" employee with the owner's permission, or an owner/co-owner yourself to lawfully carry without a CCW/CCF license.
This is the understanding I've held since the Florida CCW/CCF system was put in place in 1987. I'm not an attorney, however, so verify before exercising...

If you enjoyed reading about "legal carry at work in FL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!