Quentin's next: Kill Bill

PDA

Penforhire
September 29, 2003, 06:27 PM
So who else here has seen the previews for Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino's next film, and is fidgiting mightily awaiting its release? Haven't seen a thread on it here yet.

Oh, it MUST have guns in there somewhere, but the trailers make it out to be loaded with other weapons (love the brief skillet v. knife scene), like maybe Jackie Chan gave 'em ideas.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quentin's next: Kill Bill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
keederdag
September 29, 2003, 06:35 PM
In the begining of the trailer I saw, the Hotie's are armed with AR-15 and closing in on some kinda cabin? Can you say UUUUUUMMMMMAA:D

hansolo
September 29, 2003, 07:05 PM
I am the biggest fan of "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs".....
The only trailers I've seen for Tarantino's new flick look like "Crouching Tiger meets Bruce Lee". Maybe I haven't seen the good stuff, but I feel that it ain't going to be "Pulp II".....hopefully, I'm wrong.:confused:

bogie
September 29, 2003, 07:27 PM
QT's got a serious infatuation with Hong Kong cinema. I suspect that the flick is going to be both very good, and very bad.

Norm357
September 29, 2003, 07:29 PM
QT's got a serious infatuation with Hong Kong cinema. I suspect that the flick is going to be both very good, and very bad.

I suspect you right and I can't wait to see!:)

keederdag
September 29, 2003, 07:49 PM
Let's just hope He Don't bring out the Gimp again. I see one more male on male rape scene and I'll never eat again.:uhoh:

blades67
September 29, 2003, 07:58 PM
That wasn't rape. He told his agent he'd do whatever it took to get that part.:neener: :evil:

keederdag
September 29, 2003, 08:00 PM
Oh man, you guy's in Mesa.....:D

waterdog
September 29, 2003, 08:03 PM
Hey han solo, you noticed the Bruce Lee jumpsuit (from Game of Death) also.

This will be the 3rd time the yellow jumpsuit was used in a flick that had H2H combat, with increasingly difficult adversaries.

Can you guess what the 2nd one was?

waterdog

Mizzoutiger
September 29, 2003, 08:51 PM
You talking about Game of Death?

Kareem Abdul Jabar earned an oscar for that performance. If only the MTV Movie Awards were around for "Best Fight Scene".

mgjohn
September 29, 2003, 08:55 PM
Can not wait for it to get here. Looks like it will be good from the previews I have seen. I may hide all the knives before I let the girlfriend see it.

GSB
September 29, 2003, 09:45 PM
I read that the U.S. release is seriously edited down for length (in two parts?). Does anyone know the story on this?

Chupacabra
September 29, 2003, 10:37 PM
I read that the U.S. release is seriously edited down for length (in two parts?). Does anyone know the story on this?

IIRC, the studio told Tarantino to edit the final film down to a more reasonable length (originally it is like 3+ hours). He didn't want to do that so they compromised and decided to release the film in two parts. Volume 1 will be released Octoaber 10, and volume 2 in February.

I personally can't wait. It's gonna be an awesome film. The "COOL!" factor is way up there.

To keep this on topic...here's some "Kill Bill" gun related pics. :D

http://staff.washington.edu/bfiguero/Images/Bill/colt45.jpg

http://staff.washington.edu/bfiguero/Images/Bill/divas2.jpg

El Tejon
September 30, 2003, 12:03 AM
Loved QT's version of "Iron Monkey." Wait and see.:)

Preacherman
September 30, 2003, 12:07 AM
From Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,98244,00.html):

Tarantino's 'Kill Bill': A 'Pulp Fiction' Sequel

Thursday , September 25, 2003
By Roger Friedman

Success is a double-edged sword as we all know. Tomorrow, Miramax releases one of the worst films in its history, a misbegotten comedy called "Duplex" that stars Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore in a pale rip-off of "Meet the Parents."

On the other hand, three weeks from tomorrow the company will finally give us Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill: Volume 1." I've seen this much-anticipated film and I can tell you that it is absolutely brilliant, a real tour de force.

And it raises interesting questions: Why can Miramax only make this kind of film? Why are they unable to make high-concept Hollywood films? "Duplex" falls in the dubious category of "Kate & Leopold," "Serendipity," "A View from the Top" and "Bounce."

Oy! If only someone knew the answer.

But let's address "Kill Bill," which is the story of a character called The Bride (Uma Thurman), a hit woman who avenges her newlywed husband's bloody murder at the altar. The enemy is Bill, her former lover and employer and his squad of vicious killers known as the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, or DiVAS. They are played by Daryl Hannah, Lucy Liu, Vivica A. Fox and Michael Madsen.

You know this is a movie that's going to be a flash point for all the cinema-geek-Internet-whatever writers. Tarantino is a cult figure. His every move is dissected by these 'experts.' God love them, to have the time and interest for this minutiae. Some want him to fail. Some want him to succeed. Me? I really liked "Jackie Brown," so go figure. I have not watched the special edition DVD of "Pulp Fiction" over and over in slow-motion.

Three-and-a-half years ago Tarantino surfaced from a long absence on the scene during Oscar weekend 2000. He'd been someplace in the Caribbean for a while and was with a mysterious woman whom he'd met down there. He was supposedly working on a World War II movie. For some reason I can't remember, we were sitting on a piano bench at a party. All of a sudden he told me he was working on a script called "Kill Bill" that would star Warren Beatty and Uma Thurman. The rest is history.

Eventually Beatty, who I guess couldn't figure out exactly what was going on, dropped out of the project. He was replaced by "Kung Fu" star David Carradine.

I remember seeing Tarantino chewing the ears off of Thurman and her husband Ethan Hawke at the Miramax pre-Oscar bash that year -- almost to the point of distraction. In fact, I wrote about it in this column. He was so excited about "Kill Bill" and Thurman's participation that he ignored the skits being performed on stage by that year's Oscar nominees.

Ironically, this February, Tarantino and Thurman may be asked to perform similar sketches.

I will admit I'm not a fanatic expert on the subject of samurai movies, 'grind house' pictures, spaghetti westerns or Japanese anime. (The latter all looks like "Speed Racer" to me.) Until I read the extensive press notes for "Kill Bill," I assumed a "duck press" was something served a la orange or with plum sauce. But I do know that "Kill Bill, Volume 1" is the hippest thing I've seen on screen since "Pulp Fiction."

From the opening credits (which are in Japanese) to the big finale in a place called "The House of Blue Leaves" (sorry John Guare), "Kill Bill" is full of visual knockouts. There are set piece homages to Tarantino's favorite Japanese films, which are going to be parodied and copied as slavishly as "Pulp Fiction."

It's "Crouching Tiger" and "The Matrix," mixed together and served with hot sauce. What a meal these three films will make some day at a revival house!

What surprised me most about "Kill Bill," though, was Thurman. She's had an iffy movie career, with some good stuff ("Pulp Fiction," "Dangerous Liaisons," "Hysterical Blindness") and some famously bad stuff ("Gattaca," "The Avengers," "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues").

In a way, she's perfect Tarantino material -- someone we think of as a star whose resume is littered with junk. Tarantino taps into that very insightfully. "Kill Bill" sort of marries these two ideas together for Thurman. Now she'll be a star like never before. Her performance is just stunning, a really glorious piece of physical, witty exertion.

I'll tell you more about "Kill Bill" as its release date (Oct. 10) approaches. But these were the impressions I was left with after the screening: that it rocked, that the violence and spurting blood was cartoon-like fun, that Lucy Liu was the best she's ever been.

I also thought that "Kill Bill" succeeded on every level that "Charlie's Angels" didn't. And that I really wanted to see Part II as soon as possible (I'm told it's not finished yet), but that I was happy there was a break.

Oh yeah, and one more thing: The soundtrack is simply amazing.

45King
September 30, 2003, 07:38 AM
Ever since I saw the Kill Bill trailer that was on the Equilibrium DVD, I've been itching to see it. Glad to know it's due out soon. (Loved the music for the trailer.)

hansolo
September 30, 2003, 12:16 PM
The concept of "Fox Force Five(Five foxey chicks)," Uma's failed TV pilot in "Pulp" seems to be resurected in "Kill Bill"....Quentin is either parodying his past film, or hopes we have short memories.

P.S. RE: Gimp and Marcelles Wallace's, um, hillbilly abuse in "Pulp" -- that was not too pleasant, but the payback was great!.....Zed is dead!:rolleyes:

Nightfall
September 30, 2003, 12:43 PM
Oh, I definitely gotta see this one, if for no other reason than Lucy Liu is HOT! :D

Penforhire
September 30, 2003, 12:48 PM
Silly rabbit. (great Lucy line in the trailer)

jason10mm
September 30, 2003, 05:36 PM
QT did a version of "Iron Monkey"???

Braz
September 30, 2003, 06:07 PM
Firing Pin camera??

I'm there. :cool:

El Tejon
September 30, 2003, 06:44 PM
Jason, yes, around '98(?). Jet Li and Donnie Yee. Donnie (Dr. Wang) uses the Hung Ga boxing that his mother taught him (only important to martial arts geeks--usually the boxing is mishmash of sporterized Long Fist and other flashier styles).

Silly, unrealistic, goofy, but I loved it.:D Can hardly wait for "Hero" to come out. I hear it's already out in RoC. Wonder if twoblink has seen it? Don't know if he speaks Cantonese or the common language???

Mauserlady
September 30, 2003, 08:34 PM
QT's got a serious infatuation with Hong Kong cinema.

I'm here to tell ya that QT has a serious infatuation with ALL things cinema...

Those geeks included a hardy handful of contemporary filmmakers who are also world-class film buffs, including Joe Dante, John Landis, Curtis Hanson, Guillermo Del Toro, and Quentin Tarantino, who confessed to me on opening night that he was playing hooky from finishing the sound mix on his new movie Kill Bill. He so harangued his editor, Sally Menke, that she finally agreed to let him go to see Andre De Toth’s The Stranger Wore a Gun if he’d take her along, too.

http://www.leonardmaltin.com/

He was there for more than just Stranger Wore a Gun...

Holly76201
September 30, 2003, 09:07 PM
I can't wait to see it b/c Michael Madsen is in it. And nobody does a bad guy better than Michael!! and he ain't hard to look at either, whoo hoo!!!

David Park
September 30, 2003, 11:29 PM
I thought QT's only involvement with Iron Monkey was getting it released in theaters in the US.

El Tejon
October 1, 2003, 09:27 AM
Someone has to pull the wagon. Golden Rule and all.:D

Don Galt
October 2, 2003, 01:08 AM
I really liked Jackie Brown, but I only saw an early cut of it... I don't know what happened between then and the release.

Kill Bill looks good to me, and I'm anxious to see it.... but alos very happy that they split it into two movies (both of which better be 90 minutes with no filler!) rather than cut it down.

Just wish he'd make more movies... or if he doesn't have enough of his own scripts, work on some others scripts...

Bill Hook
October 2, 2003, 03:01 AM
Bill Klinton, I hope. :evil:

Mute
October 2, 2003, 01:30 PM
Jason, yes, around '98(?). Jet Li and Donnie Yee. Donnie (Dr. Wang) uses the Hung Ga boxing that his mother taught him (only important to martial arts geeks--usually the boxing is mishmash of sporterized Long Fist and other flashier styles).

Right about Donnie YEN, wrong about Jet Li (wasn't in the movie). QT didn't make the movie, he merely touched it up from the original HK movie for an American audience. The movie was directed by Yuen Woo Ping who directs and choreographs many of the HK kung fu flicks and the American flicks that uses the HK type of fighting stunts (for example, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Matrix and yes Kill Bill).

El Tejon
October 2, 2003, 04:20 PM
Mute, who was Dr. Yang? Certain it wasn't Jet Li? Jeez, my memory is bad. It's only been a few years, man, I'm a goner.:(

I remember when all this was orchards.:D

Mute
October 2, 2003, 06:33 PM
If you mean Dr. Wong, then that would be played by Donnie Yen, unless you're confusing this movie with Once Upon a Time in China II, the only movie I can think of that had both Donnie Yen and Jet Li in it.

Of course, you can't always trust the subtitles for the correct name either. Almost as bad as "Someone set us up the bomb!" and "All your base are belong to us."

El Tejon
October 2, 2003, 06:59 PM
Donnie Yen was Dr. Wang, but the "Iron Monkey" was Dr. Yang. Who played Dr. Yang, Mute?

Thought it was Jet Li. Hmmmm.

Mute
October 3, 2003, 12:43 PM
Ah! Right!. Dr. Yang - Rongguang Yu. He's done a number of HK movies. He was also one of the Imperial Guards in Shanghai Noon.

El Tejon
October 3, 2003, 01:52 PM
Mute, ah, thanks.

I have the memory of a much more mature man. I'm going to put on my black socks and sandals and go stand in line to eat at 4:30 pm.:D

Jrob24
October 12, 2003, 05:50 PM
I just saw it. Not much gunplay, but mucho swordplay.
Basically a comic book pretending to be a movie. And it's good too :D

GSB
October 12, 2003, 06:11 PM
I just saw it yesterday as well, and thought it was very good. I would say that if you like Tarantino films and like Japanese samurai films or martial-arts revenge flicks, you'll probably get Quentin's riff. It really is a remarkably smart homage to those genres, but it is a Tarantino film and it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Tarantino's content always tends to push the boundaries of good taste/bad taste and ludicrous overkill, so keep that in mind.

greyhound
October 12, 2003, 08:44 PM
My review : Ehh, not bad.

The GF almost walked out after the opening scene and the rape stuff.

Me, I'm an odd cat. I don't mind graphic gun violence, but squirm like a fool at too much graphic swords/knives etc.

Not much gunplay at all, but still pretty stylish and cool.

Fed168
October 13, 2003, 12:31 AM
I saw it today and fell asleep halfway through it- the wife woke me up snoring.

ysr_racer
October 13, 2003, 01:17 AM
What a disjointed piece of trash.

Don't worry; I won't give away the story, BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE.

His other movies at least had a plot. This story could have been told in 20 minutes. The cartoon was silly.

Have you ever seen "Desperately Seeking Susan"? I was desperately seeking my 14 bucks back after this abomination.

2 hours of my life I can never get back.

BamBam-31
October 13, 2003, 04:00 AM
I liked it. Very stylish. I had a feeling I would like it after it opened with the old Run Run Shaw intro (kinda like an old kung-fu flick version of the MGM lion's roar).

Can't believe Tarantino got away with so much bloodshed. Got around potential censors with creative cinematography (B&W, silhouettes), crafty devil.

It's very much a Tarantino flick, however--either you love it or hate it. If you want intricate plots a la "Usual Suspects" or word play a la "Shakespeare in Love," you're outta luck with this one. It's a B-movie genre with an A-movie budget.

I thought it was pretty cool. Thumbs up. ;)

Jim March
October 13, 2003, 07:22 AM
Oh my.

Quentin has flat gone nuts here :D.

There has NEVER been a movie like this one. Ye GODS, it's...whoa!

Over the top, completely outta control, loved it. Not for all tastes :eek:.

GSB
October 13, 2003, 08:13 AM
The cartoon was silly.

I thought the cartoon was great. An homage within an homage.

Holly76201
October 13, 2003, 08:58 AM
My favorites were the cereal box and the "door jam"
LOL Jerk should have had his nads in the door, too:evil:

stevelyn
October 13, 2003, 09:16 AM
What Nightfall said.:D

Sean Smith
October 13, 2003, 10:24 AM
Well, I saw it. It is definitely... different. Literally like nothing I've seen before. You can recognize stuff he's borrowing from, but the end result is this sort of wierd mutant of a movie. I might watch it again just so I can make something of it.

The plot comes down to two words: UMA REVENGE. I never liked her much but I like her in this role. A little age has made her more interesting-looking, I think.

The movie has an extreme level of gore, but it is extremely UNrealistic. 100x as much blood as possible. Intentionally fake looking severed heads. An untterly unconvincing disembowelment. Blood that doesn't even look so much like blood. And so on. The violence is almost all knife and sword fighting, with some oddball weapons and guns thrown in.

It doesn't have as much humor as Pulp Fiction, but it does have a fair amount of wit mixed in.

kentucky bucky
October 13, 2003, 10:26 PM
I heard that Hillary Clinton called it the feel good movie of the year.:D

Nightcrawler
October 13, 2003, 10:40 PM
Just saw it.

The violence and blood spray are ridiculously over the top. It really is like a comic book. Hell, one whole scene is done in comic format!

The violence was so unrealistic looking that it was humorous.

In short, I loved the flik and can't wait for part 2.

Mastrogiacomo
October 13, 2003, 10:58 PM
Boy Keederdag -- I hope it's not just the male on male rape scenes that turn you off but all acts of rape....

As for this flick -- Tarantino loves HK films so much, I don't think he's made an original one yet with the exception of JACKIE BROWN. It's the only movie to date he didn't lift from the Chinese. Looking forward to KILL BILL just the same...:D

ShaiVong
October 13, 2003, 11:10 PM
I have to say, the language made me squirm. The attempted comatose rape scene was just mostly language, with no 'rape'. The door scene was cool to :D . I loved how the guys leg twitched after she threw her back into it! :eek:

I dunno; I found the fight scene at the end in B&W quite ammusing, but I tried not to laugh out loud because it just didnt feel right. I think the blood was just water, it sure looked like it. Didn't even try to make it look believable, which i think was the point.

I LOVED that anime part with the soldier fighting the two gang thugs. He just rocked; too bad how it turned out :mad:

I really dont know what to think of it. The buckets of foul language turned my stomach; nearly ruined it for me. Yet some parts were AMAZING. I loved it and hated it.

One things for sure, I dont know anybody else who I could watch it with :rolleyes: , had to go to the movies alone.

Sean Smith
October 14, 2003, 09:21 AM
What? Dirty words in a Tarantino flick? Not :cuss: possible!

:D

barqfox
October 14, 2003, 01:19 PM
You'll love the movie if you have interests in:

Shaw Brothers style Hong Kong Cinema (the high contrast B&W segment)
Modern Hong Kong Cinema (Jet Li, Yuen Wo Ping, Crouching Tiger)
Japanese Samurai/Bushido (The fight with O-Ren and The Bride is intense)
Anime (Japanese animation based on "Manga" (Japanese comics))

The movie is over the top in some places, but it makes the sheer magnitude of the violence tolerable. And there's a LOT of spraying blood and guts! This is not a shiny, happy movie, it's is a movie about going to Hell, and then getting revenge on the people who sent you there, at any cost!

Sadly, the chapters and time-jumping are hard for some people to follow, but even though you know how some events are going to end up, getting there is half the fun. :D

-Tom

Rebel Gunman HK
October 14, 2003, 01:33 PM
Took off work early yesterday to check it out! This is by far the coolest flick of the year. Sorry Matrix:Reloaded, I love you too. I cant wait for volume II!
Im gonna get some people together and take them to see this for sure!
GO BACK TO YA MOMMA! :neener: AWESOME ****!

Jim March
October 14, 2003, 01:39 PM
"This <whack!> is <whack!> what <whack!> you <whack!> get <whack!> for <whack!> :cuss:ing <whack!> around <whack!> with <whack!> YAKUZA!"

:p

Ol' Badger
October 14, 2003, 01:54 PM
Cant we find a more attractive woman?

Aisan girls in school uniforms are nice thou! Does this make me sick or something?:D

kernal_panic
October 14, 2003, 02:19 PM
i'm going to pass on seeing it. frankly after seeing QT's other movies i really don't like them. that and i can't stand uma thurman. lucy liu on the other hand is a hottie and is good at the action thing (shanghai noon ballistec ecks vs sever)

and for the record matrix reloaded sucked.

Nightcrawler
October 14, 2003, 02:55 PM
Aisan girls in school uniforms are nice thou! Does this make me sick or something?

YES. LOL

Well, you and the literal legions of anime fanboys (http://www.megatokyo.com) out there. (Big anime fan myself, mind you, I just seem more assertive than your typical anime fan stereotype. That, and I don't read Japanese comics or anything, and I don't watch Anime in Japanese with subtitles; if I want to read I'll get a book.)

Seriously, I really don't understand why in all of these Animes (the adult-tageted ones, I mean, not the ones TARGETED at high school girls) the penchant for adolescent female heroes. It's like, 16 and 17 year old girls are always saving the world or something. Is 25 considered old in Japan? Is there some cultural penchant towards finding 15-16 year old girls attractive? (Of course, things used to be like that over here, too. I believe Edgar Allen Poe, for instance, married his fourteen year old cousin, which is just wrong on SO MANY LEVELS...)

Because frankly, grown men drooling over high school girls is wrong and you know it (http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=48). LOL :cool:

Mastrogiacomo
October 14, 2003, 04:41 PM
Personally, I can't take cross eyed Lucy Liu. She also can't act too great. You want beautiful women? Check out Brigitte Lin from EAST IS RED and SWORDMAN II. Also...Carina Lau and in my opinion, Anita Mui. Of course, there's always Michelle Yeoh...:)

Check out Tsui Hark's TIME AND TIDE if you want a good gun flick...:D

OF
October 14, 2003, 04:52 PM
I thought it was great. Tarantino's an arsehole, but the guy makes a great movie.

- Gabe

Penforhire
October 14, 2003, 08:31 PM
Saw it. It made a difference going into it that I knew it was supposed to be a distillation of every revenge flick Tarantino likes. It allowed me to go with the over-the-top moments (many many of those moments).

Left my girlfriend at home and it was probably the right decision. She would not get it or dig it. Scenes like the motorcycles escorting the limo and Uma's yellow motorcycle were very lyrical. The way he showed air travel on a map and the music he chose worked for me. The silhouetted sword combat near the end, too cool. I'm not convinced about the cartoon sequences. I'm a comic and anime fan but it reminded me too much of Natural Born Killers (and made me think he didn't want to budget the filming needed to show those flashbacks).

If anything was hard to swallow it was that Uma would be so physically fearsome. She's a tiny thing.

Felt like a rocking roller coaster ride to me. Queasy and thrilling sensations. I'd say mission-accomplished for Quentin. Can't wait for part 2.

Mastrogiacomo
October 14, 2003, 08:40 PM
Well...Bruce Lee was a small little thing -- and so weren't most of the masters of martial arts. You'd fear them if you pissed them off...:D

Cosmoline
October 14, 2003, 08:42 PM
I haven't seen this, but one of the things I like about QT is that his violence tends to be semi-realistic. I particularly appreciated the accidental shooting in "Pulp Fiction." That's what you get screwing around with your finger on the trigger!

Now, apparently, he's featuring some woman with a katana taking on 88 men at once and winning! Homage to anime or not, that's just silly. From all I've heard, the film is a perfect example of the school of thought which holds that a katana can slice through a tank. It's nonsense. It takes a full-force stroke from a very strong man to decapitate a bound victim with a freshly-sharpened katana. The notion that you're going to be able to slice through limb after limb like butter is classic Sillywood.

Anyway, it begs the question--why doesn't one of these guys just get a damn rifle and shoot her? (the famous scene from Indiana Jones comes to mind)

Plus, another thing I like about QT are his funky characters. Some were very memorable. But Kill Bill is apparently devoid of anything but ultra violence. I may pass unless I hear something better about it.

Mastrogiacomo
October 14, 2003, 08:48 PM
It's a MOVIE -- you want realism? Rent a documentary...:cool:

Nightcrawler
October 14, 2003, 08:49 PM
I want to now why the bleeped out the Bride's name.

Kill Bill was anything but realistic. (I mean, you really can't take your samurai sword on an airliner with you.)

But, it wasn't supposed to be. At least QT isn't trying to pass off over the top silly violence as real life, like a lot of other action movies.

LOVED the music in the movie, too.

Cosmoline
October 14, 2003, 08:59 PM
I guess I'm wondering--what's the point of it? Slashing and more slashing? With no sense of realism, there's no sense of danger. It's just a lot of silly nonsense. No different from cheap B-Movies where bad guys get blown out of windows with one shot from the cop's revolver. Now one of the cool things about QT is he took the silly exploitation movies and gave them realism. So now the cop's revolver doesn't blow the bad guy through the air, it just leaves him moaning. It was an interesting twist. But what is he trying to say with all these sliced off limbs?

I think I'm just prejudiced. I detest the katana fanboys, and this looks like a film tailor made for them.

Nightcrawler
October 14, 2003, 09:07 PM
I detest the katana fanboys, and this looks like a film tailor made for them.

Quite possibly. But, I just liked the style of the movie, the music and the cinematography. No guns? No problem.

After this, though, Quentin should make an equally stylish, but more realistic action movie with lots of guns. The hero or herioine should carry a nice blued S&W revolver in .45 Colt, and it should be slick and funny and violent.

Please?

Mastrogiacomo
October 14, 2003, 09:11 PM
I'm a female fan of the genre -- loved BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR, A CHINESE GHOST STORY, THE EAST IS RED, SWORDMAN II, PEKING OPERA BLUES, CHUNGKING EXPRESS, every Bruce Lee film done, Brigitte Lin, Samo Hung, Jackie Chan, Simon Yam, Leslie Cheung, Anita Mui, Carina Lau -- maybe Quintin had me in mind....:D

PaladinX13
October 14, 2003, 09:34 PM
1 bullet for the Bride
1 bullet from the cereal box
1 bullet into the burbon
4 bullets from under the bed
1 bullet to the back of the limo

This isn't much of a gun film....

Sean Smith
October 14, 2003, 11:41 PM
Lucy's character DOES wind up using what looks like a PSG-1 at one point. :D

Kill Bill is different. I don't even know if I liked it or not, and I usually form strong opinions about movies I've seen. I wouldn't whine about it being like such-and-such until you actually watch it, though. ;)

hksw
October 15, 2003, 01:03 AM
PSG-1

Animated, though.

Just saw it. An OK movie to me. Having seen more than my fair share of the Chinese Kung Fu, Japanese Boshido, Speghetti Western, anime films, I can understand what QT is trying to do. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of the general public not into those types of movies will like it as much. All that blood spraying and over-reacted death scenes made me smile a bit recalling those old Japanese movies.

Ant Mod
October 15, 2003, 01:22 AM
Worst movie I have ever seen, and I like pulp fiction. I would have to rate this as worse than The Cable Guy, the worst movie I had ever seen before this one. I wonder how much the movie company paid all those critics.

Nightcrawler
October 15, 2003, 01:52 AM
Kill Bill is the worst movie you've ever seen? Check this out. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44799)

And you've OBVIOUSLY never seen "Manos" the Hands of Fate. (The quotations are there because they appear in the title of the film as such.)

Listen for the haunting Torgo Theme...

Mastrogiacomo
October 15, 2003, 06:53 AM
Actually I thought PULP FICTION was the worst film I've seen -- JACKIE BROWN was his first film I've liked....

GSB
October 15, 2003, 08:35 AM
I guess I'm wondering--what's the point of it? Slashing and more slashing? With no sense of realism, there's no sense of danger. It's just a lot of silly nonsense. No different from cheap B-Movies where bad guys get blown out of windows with one shot from the cop's revolver.

I don't think you quite get Quentin's joke here. He's made an exploitation film of exploitation films. I think he'd agree that it's a lot of silly nonsense, although as with anything Tarantino does, there is a tremendous amount of genuine craftsmanship in it.

Justin
October 15, 2003, 10:41 AM
Caught it last night. Absolutely loved it. It was blatantly over-the-top from the word go, and had some very skillfully done homages in it ranging from Spaghetti Westerns, to Anime, Kung-Fu, and even Godzilla. (Don't think so? Check out that rockin' model setup of Tokyo.)

On top of that, I thought it had some excellent characterization, especially for a lot of the secondary characters- the sword maker, Lucy Liu's personal bodyguard, and the henpecked restaurant owner.

Rebel Gunman HK
October 15, 2003, 01:07 PM
Im gonna go watch it again! Whos comin with me?????:evil:
Got to admit. Ive never been an UMA fan but I think shes really foxy kewl now!:cool:

OF
October 15, 2003, 01:22 PM
think he'd agree that it's a lot of silly nonsense, although as with anything Tarantino does, there is a tremendous amount of genuine craftsmanship in it.Bingo!

It's an art film, folks. The best thing about Tarantino is that he doesn't take movies or art so seriously. He sees the medium as just that: a medium. Which is an important perspective for an artist to have. A very Zappa attitude.

Artists who take themseves too seriously make me gag. Like that guy who hosts Bravo's "Inside the Actor's Studio". The way he reverently lets the movie titles drip off his tounge makes me want to wretch. Every actor he interviews just thinks they walk on water.

Now that said, Tarantino is not anyone I'd want to have dinner with, but I like his stuff and I like his attitude towards moviemaking.

- Gabe

Nightcrawler
October 15, 2003, 07:55 PM
Saw it for the 2nd time today. Caught a lot more little things than I did last time.

Still lovin' it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quentin's next: Kill Bill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!