Look what followed me home today.

PDA

C-grunt
January 29, 2009, 03:43 AM
This looks like it was shot little. It has some scratches where apparently the previous owner had a hard time with removing/inserting the slide stop. I plan on installing an extended safety, and beaver tail with the bump, skeleton hammer and trigger.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/100_2060.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/100_2062.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/100_2068.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Look what followed me home today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big Daddy Grim
January 29, 2009, 03:46 AM
Nice I love when they follow me home my wife not so much.;)

C-grunt
January 29, 2009, 04:26 AM
Actually my wife was happy. I had a 1911 a few years ago when I was in the Army that she loved. We had to sell it due to bad financial decisions I made before we were married. She has always said I should get another.

Oro
January 29, 2009, 04:36 AM
has some scratches where apparently the previous owner had a hard time with removing/inserting the slide stop.

A simpler way to say it is "idiot mark" - that's the verbal short-hand for mishandling the slide stop when installing it. If you search that phrase and "1911" you'll see what I mean.

Welcome back to the Wonderful World of 1911.

Thomas Garrett
January 29, 2009, 08:24 AM
Nice SA !

DocBoCook
January 29, 2009, 08:26 AM
question is, will she let you keep it? :)

franconialocal
January 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
The one question still un-answered that we are all curious about.......how much did you shell out for it??!!:confused:

whitefeather
January 29, 2009, 10:44 PM
Very nice! I like the looks of an "old school" 1911 with spur hammer and arched MSH.

I am very partial to 1911's and have several including a Colt First Edition Stainless Delta Elite. It has the same polished Stainless finish as your Springer.

I picked it up used and it also had the "idiot" mark. A little bit of Flitz metal polish made it good as new. That's the nice thing about "brite" stainless, you can polish most scratches out very easily.

Walkalong
January 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
Very nice. Try it without the beaver tail safety first. They never bite my hand. Even the little one on my L/W Commander is no problem. You may find it's not needed and you can spend money elsewhere.

C-grunt
January 30, 2009, 01:42 AM
I actually paid only 40 bucks plus my trade in WASR 10.

I dont think the hammer will bite me, but I do like the bump at the bottom to help ensure the safety is depressed. First thing is definitely the extended safety. Its really stiff and I cant re-safe the gun with my shooting thumb.

RippinSVT
January 30, 2009, 02:16 AM
That's odd, I had a Savage Mako in .17 HMR follow me home today. What pestulent creatures guns are.

benderx4
January 30, 2009, 10:36 AM
Congrats on the Springfield - I second the suggestion for Flitz on the idiot mark.

Your among good company, I think all of us have had these things follow us home! (My most recent one was a Colt 6920 M4) Hate it when that happens!

mbt2001
January 30, 2009, 10:38 AM
I actually paid only 40 bucks plus my trade in WASR 10.

:what:

Good buy! Great Buy! Beautiful piece....

spyderdude
January 30, 2009, 11:44 AM
Nice Mil-Spec.

I just picked this up yesterday myself!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/Springfield1911Loaded.jpg

Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Light Weight, and I bought it for 725.

Jolly Rogers
January 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
Flitz will polish the surrounding metal too and will stick out when done. Suggest a scotch brite pad, grey or red in color. Be sure to only go with the grain in the bright area on the flats. If you go back and forth without lifting the pad it will leave swirly scratches that won't blend in with the finish. Just stroke the pad in line with the length of the frame and you can erase the scratch. The one down by the trigger is gonna be tough as that part of the frame is bead blasted. No real hope there without reblasting the section.
Joe

whitefeather
January 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
jolly rogers is right about the Flitz; you can polish too hard and create an overly "brite" area. I am careful to not go too hard and have had very good results. And yes, there's not much you can do about the part of the scratch that goes into the matte-finished trigger area.

In perspective, most of the "idiot" marks I have seen on stainless 1911's aren't all that bad to begin with (not nearly as bad as on blued or parked guns).

KentuckySteve
January 30, 2009, 08:13 PM
Son of a gun; I went to the Bass pro shop for some sale items (clothes, shoes) and some ammo and a new Ruger 380 LCP followed me right to the truck. He's a little guy, but Im glad he followed me home.

I was in Indiana, and he found my house all the way to Kentucky! It's the dangest thing, these guns.....

TRGRHPY
January 31, 2009, 12:09 AM
Nice I love when they follow me home my wife not so much

Did you just say that you don't like your wife following you home? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Look what followed me home today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!