Changing thumb safety on 1911...need instructions

PDA

C-grunt
January 29, 2009, 05:11 AM
Ok first off I did do a search and found a video on youtube on how to take off the ambi thumb safety on his RIA tactical. Is it the same way on my Springfield Milspec? I want an extended safety as the plunger is pretty stiff and its almost impossible for me to re-engage the safety with my shooting hand.

So if I have it right, I take off the slide and kinda put the safety in the half way position and wiggle it out. Is that right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Changing thumb safety on 1911...need instructions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Jimmy
January 29, 2009, 09:48 AM
You take off the grips too on ambi safeties as the right side is captured by the right grip...

chieftain
January 29, 2009, 10:40 AM
Ok first off I did do a search and found a video on youtube on how to take off the ambi thumb safety on his RIA tactical. Is it the same way on my Springfield Milspec? I want an extended safety as the plunger is pretty stiff and its almost impossible for me to re-engage the safety with my shooting hand. So if I have it right, I take off the slide and kinda put the safety in the half way position and wiggle it out. Is that right?

May I suggest some of the information you will probably need to fit your new safety can be found in one of two sites. (with pictures too) WWW.1911Forum.com and/or www.m1911.org Both are fine sights with a very large amount of useful information.

Note: DO NOT USE A :cuss: DREMEL TOOL. More 1911's have been ruined by dremel's than in combat or with bad reloads. Get a nice set of small files and stones. Look at Brownel's or Midway. There are others, but those are the two I use for most of my "smithing" tools.

Be advised, I am not a GunSmith, but I do all but the metal work of the frame or slide on my 1911's. In fact about 3 weeks ago I fitted a new Ed Brown Tactical thumb safety to my Carry piece, one of my Two Colt Gunsite Pistol's. I like the Ed Brown 'model' better than the excellent Wilson Combat version it came with.

Understand Wilson makes good parts too, I just subjectively prefer Ed Brown for extended magazine releases, and carry thumb safeties. I also get most of my Recoil plug and short military guides from them too.

Good luck, it will become a long journey with your 1911 as you begin to upgrade it and/or adapt it to "your" gun.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "Changing thumb safety on 1911...need instructions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!