Learning to hunt

PDA

Regen
January 29, 2009, 01:35 PM
I've been shooting for many years, but it has always been target shooting. I'm interested in learning to hunt. I live in northern Virginia and know that I need to get my hunting license. Will the safety course I completed for my CHP count for getting my license?

Any recommendations for guides/teachers to help me get started. Thinking of starting with groundhog hunting or something similar since there is an open season on them in Virginia. For ground hog, which would be better .22LR or .223?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Learning to hunt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bang_bang
January 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'm guessing you sat through the Hunter's Education Course in order to get your Concealed Carry Permit, right?

If that's the case, show the person selling licenses that paper, the wallet sized or picture frame sized one, and you'll have your hunting license.

Groundhog, easy and fun to hunt. They have rather poor vision if you wear neutral colors and move slowly. I've snuck up within a couple yards of them before. This is why I love hunting them.

.223 or .22lr will work. If kept within 75 yards, the .22lr will do. Any longer ranges and I would brink out the centerfire to make sure I get a kill shot.

I mainly use a .22 Magnum, but have taken groundhogs with .22lr many times. I've even rolled them with a 12 gauge with buckshot. Also used a dirtbike helmet once or twice....

Regen
January 29, 2009, 01:49 PM
Okay, I've got to ask, what caliber dirtbike helmet? :)

Regen
January 29, 2009, 01:50 PM
Actually, it was a course specifically for CHP. That is the question, is that course sufficient for the hunting license or do I need to take a specific Hunter's Education Course?

bang_bang
January 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
Fulmer, a yellow and black one, and also some type of red one.

If I remember correctly, we got one with a tobacco cutter too. :rolleyes:

bang_bang
January 29, 2009, 02:00 PM
Should look something like this for Hunters Education completion.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/ss_drummer/huntersed.jpg

This is from 10 years ago, so it might be a bit different.

snakeman
January 29, 2009, 02:02 PM
the internet can be the best teacher. I would say to start off in a stand. Set your feeder up about 100 yards away and be sure to feed the deer plenty. Good Luck!

Bearhands
January 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
the internet can be the best teacher. I would say to start off in a stand. Set your feeder up about 100 yards away and be sure to feed the deer plenty. Good Luck

FIRST...... check to see if baiting is allowed in Virginia.

bang_bang
January 29, 2009, 02:22 PM
That would be a no-no for deer.

From Sept through Feb I think, not sure though.

the muleskinner
January 29, 2009, 04:33 PM
No baiting in VA. from Sept. 1 through Jan. 3.

Ground hog hunting is the best practice I've ever found for deer hunting. There is no better way to practice shooting in hunting situations imo.

I use a .22mag. I like a little more range for groundhogs than the .22 lr can afford.

Good to see some more VA hunters on here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Learning to hunt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!