Just got bianchi leather inside waste band for G17 - help please!

PDA

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
This is my only gun, and I am trying this as my first concealment option.

It feels very bulky and awkward right now. I feel like my pants are stretching, etc.

Also, is this type of setup safe for a Glock? Could a ND easily happen in this scenario? Is the trigger adequately protected?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just got bianchi leather inside waste band for G17 - help please!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRIZ22
January 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
It might help if you posted a photo or told us what model holster.

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 03:11 PM
model 6D size 13

TeamPrecisionIT
January 30, 2009, 03:28 PM
For one, you usually need to step up the size of your pants to start with. When I started carrying I went up two full pant sizes on my jeans and then got a quality GUN BELT, notice the caps, and it started working much more comfortably. But if you're pants are tight, you might want to either a) lose 10-15lbs; or b) get a bigger waist size in pants/jeans. But do not forget to get a quality GUN belt. Search the forums for 'gun belt' and you will get a lot of results to help you.

The reason for getting a good quality gun belt, and yes I mean it will probably cost more than $50, is for the support it offers when carrying. A lot of guys IWB'ing (is that a word??) think they don't need a proper gun belt until they where one and realize the difference it makes.

Damian

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks, TeamPrecision.

Any word on the safety of these Bianchis for Glocks?

Also, what's the best position to place the holster in? Is it possible to use them on the side of the hip instead of front? What about in the back?

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
FYI this is the model, it even has my gun in the picture

http://store.packinheatleather.com/bimo6datbiws.html

crebralfix
January 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
RE: NDs

Is the trigger covered? Can you get something into the triggerguard and in front of the trigger? The answer is NO.

Keep your boogerhook off the trigger, check the chamber frequently when handling the gun, and all will be well. You can ND ***easily*** with ANY gun. So...don't screw up.

RE: New to CCW

The gun will feel weird for awhile. The problem I see is that you have a Glock 17 in a holster with NO forward cant. Forward cant aids in concealment. The long grip of the Glock will tend to bulge when you sit or lean over slightly. Forward cant just reduces the amount of grip that sticks out straight back.

However, you should be able to use this holster in the appendix position. This position gives you a faster draw since your hand is closer to the gun and you don't have to roll your shoulder back.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/crebralfix/holsters/glock19/01010073.jpg

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thank you crebralfix

I'm going to practice a LOT with it unloaded or one outside the chamber before I even consider carrying it in condition 1 - really paranoid about NDs. I'm going to do an NRA safety course as well.

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
On a related note, what is the safest way to put this on?

My theory is to put the gun into the holster with the strap on BEFORE putting it in the pants. There should never be any need to quickly put a gun into the holster when it's on your person - only to get it out.

IMO it's safest to put it in the pants with the gun already in it because the trigger is protected, you can't get your hand on the trigger, etc. I could see NDs happening really easily by trying to put a gun in a holster, whether inside waste band or totally outside.

Keoni
January 30, 2009, 05:37 PM
I could never carry with the muzzle toward my femoral artery or privates, not that there's anything wrong with that.

moooose102
January 30, 2009, 06:39 PM
give this a try, put the holster over your back pocket. see if that feels comfortable. if it does, you may have to buy a left handed holster to carry it there if you want to comfortably retrieve the gun with your right hand. that is what i use. i also bought a right hand iwb first, then discovered that the most comfotable spot was way back there, and i could not reach the darn thing. give it a try, it wont cost you a dime if you dont like it there. good luck, and welcome to ccw!

Glockman17366
January 30, 2009, 07:27 PM
Frankly, I don't care for IWB..and definitely not for a Glock (although Glocks are my favorite semi-auto handgun).
You will need to get trousers and jeans a size or so larger to accomodate IWB.That's part of the price. And, it will take a few weeks to get used to it...or, you may never get used to it. I never did, so I started wearing covering garments for OWB (vests and sports coats).
The main thing is to be very careful when holstering or reholstering your G17. Do NOT even consider going to a 3 lb trigger if you're going to IWB. In fact, I'd consider an increased poundage trigger pull.
There you go...words of wisdom fom a Glock fan.

On a related note, what is the safest way to put this on?

My theory is to put the gun into the holster with the strap on BEFORE putting it in the pants. There should never be any need to quickly put a gun into the holster when it's on your person - only to get it out.

IMO it's safest to put it in the pants with the gun already in it because the trigger is protected, you can't get your hand on the trigger, etc. I could see NDs happening really easily by trying to put a gun in a holster, whether inside waste band or totally outside.

This is what I did:
Keep your trigger finger inline with the slide
Use the fingers of your weak hand to spread the opening of the holster
Insert the gun in the holster and push down with enough force to seat it in your holster.
Practice this with an unloaded gun until you feel competent holstering your gun.

BTW, I got competent, but I never did feel comfortable...so, I went OWB.

Good luck!

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 07:39 PM
"Frankly, I don't care for IWB..and definitely not for a Glock (although Glocks are my favorite semi-auto handgun).
You will need to get trousers and jeans a size or so larger to accomodate IWB.That's part of the price. And, it will take a few weeks to get used to it...or, you may never get used to it. I never did, so I started wearing covering garments for OWB (vests and sports coats).
The main thing is to be very careful when holstering or reholstering your G17. Do NOT even consider going to a 3 lb trigger if you're going to IWB. In fact, I'd consider an increased poundage trigger pull.
There you go...words of wisdom fom a Glock fan."

Yikes...can you give me a scenario other than pulling the trigger with my finger where the gun would go off as I was unholstering it?

Glockman17366
January 30, 2009, 07:51 PM
Yikes...can you give me a scenario other than pulling the trigger with my finger where the gun would go off as I was unholstering it?

Keep your finger clear of the trigger guard and make sure there's no snagging of the trigger (by clothing) when you holster (that's when the two fingers spreading the holster helps, BTW).
Take your time and do it safely.
As long as that trigger isn't pulled, the gun will not fire.

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice - I do like the over back pocket, and it does make me nervous to have the gun pointed at any vital areas.

That's why I like on the side - but that really does require getting like 2 sizes bigger apparently, since I can barely breath if I try it now.

It's a bit of a compromise though - I don't feel like I can quite as quickly get to the gun when it's on the side as when it's on the appendix.

The apendix is relatively comfy and easy access - it just makes me nervous what the other people said.

newbie4help
January 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Glockman - do you approve of my idea of always holstering it before putting it in the pants, to almost eliminate the possibility of clothing or something catching?

Thanks for the advice on how to do it within the pants though! I just don't see that as ever being necessary imo.

Mello
January 30, 2009, 09:30 PM
newbie4help,

Like others have said get a good Gun Belt to distribute the weight and stabalixe the load. You are adding to the waistline. So if you have tight pants before adding the Glock; you need a larger waistline in your "carry" pants.

Your Glock is 1.18" wide, my 1911 is 0.915" wide and it still adds substantially to my waistline of 34" when I carry it in a IWB holster.
This ross leather IWB holster looks more stable that the one you have.

http://www.rossleather.com/images/M16S.jpg

I prefer IWB because it means I don't reveal the gun when I pull my wallet or get something from my pants pocket. Carrying a two pound package is going to feel bulky initially.

Have you given any thought to carrying a spare magazine or a flashlight?
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/farwalker/mitchrosenacc.jpg

Glockman17366
January 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks Glockman - do you approve of my idea of always holstering it before putting it in the pants, to almost eliminate the possibility of clothing or something catching?

Personally, I'd holster the gun after the holster is in place. If you ever have to remove the gun from the holster (in a self defense situation or any other reason), you'll have to reholster the gun...so you may as well learn now.
But that's just my opinion..and that's the opinion of a guy who doesn't carry IWB.
Do what's most comfortable for you...that's the most important thing.

BTW, several folks have suggested buying a gun belt. You know we like to spent other peoples's money! I have one (from the Beltman) and I like it...works great if you carry OWB. They do cost 50 bucks or more. I didn't find one necessary for the limited time I carried IWB, but you might find buying one to be a worthwhile investment.

BTW, I carry a .38 in my pocket all the time. I carry a Glock 19 on my hip some of the time when I can dress around it. My Glock 17 was originally a G17L which has the 3 lb trigger and I never ever carry that gun...

David E
January 30, 2009, 09:59 PM
That holster is crap. I had the forerunner that didn't have the thumb break. It moves around, comes out with the gun, impossible to reholster without taking the holster out (or picking it up off the ground) and reinserting it and putting the whole thing back inside the waist.

As for the pictured appendix draw, it might feel fast drawing it, but since a firing grip is impossible without first plucking the gun up enough to get that firing grip, it's slower than it needs to be.....of course, all it takes is time !

If you enjoyed reading about "Just got bianchi leather inside waste band for G17 - help please!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!