Pre 1898 sawed off rifle

PDA

545days
January 30, 2009, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know if I can legally build a handgun from a pre 1898 rifle receiver without crossing into NFA territory?

The project is a rusty old GEW-88 purchased from Centerfire systems as a relic with bulged barrel, broken stock, and no bolt head or extractor. I am not cutting down a valuable antique.

I would turn down a used .30 cal barrell, and ream it for 7.62x25 or maybe .32 S&W long (I have not thought out the bolt design yet.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Pre 1898 sawed off rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 30, 2009, 05:29 PM
No you can't.

A good friend and FFL lost his license & his business over a sawed-off French Lebel a Dough-boy had cut in two to get it in his duffel bag following the great war.

I also know of one prosecution involving a .22 pistol made from an 1890 Winchester action.

Once a rifle, always a rifle I guess.

rc

545days
January 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
I guess I will build a handgun caliber carbine instead.

I recall seeing a pistol built on a Martini Henry action posted here in the last few months. Of course, it could have been built on a Khyber Pass copy of a Martini...

I am uncomfortable with building a carbine utilizing a rifle cartridge in this action as it really does not have the built in protections for the shooter that deflect escaping from a ruptured case that the 98 Mauser and later designs employ.

Thank you for your quick reply.

kwelz
January 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
Actually it is once a pistol always a pistol. You can go from Rifle to pistol but never back.

WardenWolf
January 30, 2009, 11:50 PM
No, you're reversed there, Azizza. You can make a pistol into a rifle legally, through various methods, including paying a tax and getting license to build an SBR or rebarreling it to legal length. However, the only LEGAL way to make a pistol is if the receiver has NEVER had a stock on it. Once a rifle, always a rifle. A pistol can become a rifle, but a rifle can never become a pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pre 1898 sawed off rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!