Well I felt like an idiot today...

PDA

Fatheroffive
January 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
at the gun shop. I had ordered my first ever handgun... 2 Romanian Tokarev pistols from Classic Arms in Charlotte. I go to pick them up today from the FFL and he looks at me and says "i need to see your drivers license and your handgun permit"... :what:"I am sorry my handgun permit?" I said with a puzzled look on my face. It was at that moment that the imaginary DUNCE hat was placed on top of my head in front of a very busy gun shop. I think I heard an audible chuckle from behind me... :banghead:

Needless to say the FFL was very nice and explained everything to me, so it will likely take a week or 2 for me to be able to pick up my Tokarev's.

Please someone make me feel better and tell me that I am not the only one this has ever happened too... :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Well I felt like an idiot today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paul
January 30, 2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry 'bout that, I do feel your pain...
I have a handgun permit...
It's called the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution.:)
Good luck, and hope all works out in your favor, quickly.
p

Impureclient
January 30, 2009, 10:09 PM
handgun permit?

Leanwolf
January 30, 2009, 10:11 PM
FATHEROF FIVE - "... i need to see your drivers license and your handgun permit"... "

Are you required to have a "handgun permit" in North Carolina, to buy a handgun??

L.W.

ArmedBear
January 30, 2009, 10:12 PM
In California, you have to pay $25 and take a quiz to get your Handgun Safety Card (good for 5 years), then you have to pay $25 + dealer fees if any, then pay for the gun. Then, ten days later, you can go get it.

I didn't say "guns" because you can't buy two handguns. You can only buy one every 30 days.

There's no reason you should feel like an idiot. Gun laws never make much sense (except in the light of history, where a handgun permit in the Carolinas was issued if you passed a certain test, involving your complexion).

ArmedBear
January 30, 2009, 10:13 PM
Are you required to have a "handgun permit" in North Carolina, to buy a handgun??

Yes.

AFAIK it's a relic of Jim Crow. Separate but equal: both white and black citizens could apply for a permit if they wanted to...

average_shooter
January 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Please someone make me feel better and tell me that I am not the only one this has ever happened too...

You are not alone. It was only slightly embarrassing and a bit frustrating, but it all worked out in the end.

Now, right before handing over the cash, hitting the mag release, fumbling the mag and dropping in onto the floor while the counter guy and God only knows who else watched...that was embarrassing...

Fatheroffive
January 30, 2009, 10:23 PM
They told me that I needed to go to the Sherrifs Department in downtown Raleigh (Wake County) to the "Handgun Permit office" and apply for a permit. They stated that it was $5 each with a maximum of 5 at any given time and that they lasted 5 years. So if I thought I may be purchsing again in the next 5 years I may as well go ahead, pay the $25 for 5 of them. Once they complete the check (week or so) they will call me to come and pick them up. Then I can bring 2 of the permits to the FFL to pick up the handguns.

So it will take 2 trips downtown (totalling about 2 hours of my time) and $25 for 5 permits.

c5_nc
January 30, 2009, 10:24 PM
You probably should have applied for a C&R in advance, since they could have been mailed directly to you then, It probably would have already paid for itself ($30 for 3 years).

yeti
January 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
VERMONT, the only thing you don't need permits for, are guns.

nathan
January 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
You will love the tokarev pistol. I have a Chicom 54 -1 and its a hoot to shoot. It gobbles the Romanian ammo with no hiccup. I can rapid fire a full mag in seconds.

Even the Viet Army today still uses them. It looks ugly and old world but it has its own beauty once you shoot it.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc127/Dongha_97/2soldiers.jpg

DFW1911
January 30, 2009, 10:32 PM
Wow, that's crazy! There's nothing to be embarrassed over...how on earth are we supposed to remember every stinking rule???

One benefit of being a CHL in Texas is you get to skip the background check when you buy from an FFL.

Fatheroffive
January 30, 2009, 10:33 PM
What is a CHL in Texas?

nathan
January 30, 2009, 10:35 PM
The best is a face to face deal in a private sale

Grassman
January 30, 2009, 10:39 PM
PERMIT?? I've said it before, and I'll say it again................AIN'T TEXAS GREAT. No permit needed!!!

Grey_Mana
January 30, 2009, 10:39 PM
Maryland has a one-time requirement for training (and registration).
http://mdgunsafety.com/
The online video is actually ok; I'd recommend it as a basic firearms 101 course for complete novices.

cuervo
January 30, 2009, 10:41 PM

You are required to have a purchase permit, not a permit for the handgun itself. These are required for handguns, and may be used for rifles and shotguns as a bypass to NICS. Usually requires two trips to the sheriff's office, one to apply, one to pickup and pay, for your county and are $5 each with a max of 5 per trip. How frequently you make trips to the sheriff's office for permits isn't regulated, but I'm sure they keep a tally.

Or you can get your CCW and that counts for the permit and/or NICS for handguns and long guns.

Having a purchase permit is also technically required for FTF sales of handguns but not long guns.

nc76
January 30, 2009, 10:42 PM
Here in NC it makes sense to get your Concealed Carry Permit. You do not need individual hadgun permits when you have your CCP. To get your CC permit you must take an approved 8 hour course and then apply through your home county Sheriff's Dept. The fees are around $100 bucks for the course and $100 bucks for the permit. It takes about 90 days or less to get approved and is good for five years before renewal.

That way you can make impulse purchases as long as you have your CCP with you :)

BHP FAN
January 30, 2009, 11:41 PM
Tokarev is a wonderfull gun.I've had mine for years, put about a metric ton of ammo through it,then converted it to 9mm,put a few thousand more rounds through it,replaced the recoil spring,and it's still ticking.The Timex of pistols.

seale
January 31, 2009, 12:09 AM
They told me that I needed to go to the Sherrifs Department in downtown Raleigh (Wake County) to the "Handgun Permit office" and apply for a permit. They stated that it was $5 each with a maximum of 5 at any given time and that they lasted 5 years. So if I thought I may be purchsing again in the next 5 years I may as well go ahead, pay the $25 for 5 of them. Once they complete the check (week or so) they will call me to come and pick them up. Then I can bring 2 of the permits to the FFL to pick up the handguns.

So it will take 2 trips downtown (totalling about 2 hours of my time) and $25 for 5 permits.I don't mean to be rude but I am going to assume that A. you don't know who your state legislator is and B. that you have not contacted it to demand that this outrage be repealed. Again, I don't mean to be rude but this is usually the truth.

I would hope you are outraged enough to get involved. http://www.ncrpa.org/ http://www.grnc.org/

Here is a good gem from the ncrpa website:
Q: What is the deal with this Pistol Purchase Permit law? I moved from one NC county to another and found that the Sheriffs of each county have vastly different requirements for getting Permits. Isn't this covered by State law?

A: The Pistol Purchase Permit law was passed in 1919, and is a classic piece of Jim Crow-era legislation (Jim Crow History). The recognition of civil rights for blacks and other minorities meant that the Constitution applied to minorities. This meant that blacks and other minorities could exercise their natural right to self-defense, with the full support of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution and Article I, Sec. 30 of the North Carolina Constitution. This did not sit well with the Ku Klux Klan (which for many years was headquartered in Raleigh, just down the street from the Legislature) and other racist groups and influential individuals. The racist members of the State Legislature knew they could not overtly prevent minorities from purchasing handguns for protection, so the seemingly innocent Pistol Purchase Permit law was passed. This law allowed local Sheriffs and government officials to discriminate with impunity at the local level.

Even today, the Pistol Purchase Permit law is implemented in an arbitrary and capricious fashion by 100 individual County Sheriffs. Some Sheriffs do little more than collect the fees and hand out permits to the law-abiding, because more than that is not necessary. Others implement ridiculous, intrusive requirements that either discriminate on a wholesale basis or are selectively applied so that discrimination can be more personalized.

With the advent of the National Instant Check System (NICS) there is no public safety reason why the Pistol Purchase Permit system needs to continue. The Jim Crow era is over, and the laws of that era need to be eliminated. Most people agree with that in principle, but for some reason when it comes to guns a significant number of people seem to think that discrimination and arbitrary requirements are a good thing. This is something NCRPA totally disagrees with.

We have been trying for 10 years to get the Pistol Purchase Permit system completely eliminated. Apparently when it comes to gun control a lot of people think Jim Crow is still a good idea.

alaskanativeson
January 31, 2009, 12:20 AM
AIN'T TEXAS GREAT. No permit needed!!!
Yeah, but it ain't Alaska: No CCW needed!
(And you don't get those -40 winds coming off of the Bering Sea - But maybe you think that's a good thing! :D )

cloudcroft
January 31, 2009, 12:35 AM
Grassman,

No, Texas isn't THAT great -- it's still backwards in some ways re: gun issues. Mainly, it's not a Gold Star Open Carry state.

But we hope that will come soon.

-- John D.

ThrottleJockey
January 31, 2009, 12:54 AM
I too was victim of this. In MN you must have a "permit to purchase" for handguns and EBRs. But not for shotguns and hunting/sniper rifles. Don't expect the rules to make sense, after all the people making them don't make sense either. I felt sort of stupid, but more angry about the obvious infringement upon my 2a rights.

Grassman
January 31, 2009, 01:02 AM
I stated before, I'm no fan of open carry. If that's your thing, go for it, I would rather conceal.

polekitty
January 31, 2009, 01:09 AM
Kentucky is pretty good too. If you are a Ky resident you can carry your loaded handgun in the "factory installed glove box" witn no "permit" or license required. If you want to jump out of your car and take your gun into K-Mart you need the CCDW licnse. And please note: It's a LICENSE, not a "permit." Also, it is not a "gun license." It is a deadly weapon license. This covers guns, blackjacks, brass knuckles, knives and daggers and other sharp objects, and batons. No license required for open carry. However, since open carry makes the natives (liberals) nervouse, they prefer that you not carry open now that we have the CCDW license. We can also buy, all at one tme, as many "shooting thingies" as our credit card will cover.

logjam
January 31, 2009, 02:38 AM
You wanna talk stupid? I mean really, really drooling, falling down stupid?

So I walk into the local pawn shop. There is a second model Colt SAA with the 5 1/2 barrel. It's original nickle and like new. It's in 38 special
The gun locks up like new. The bore is mint. The action is as tight as the day it was made.

I pay $800 for the gun. I take it home. I look into all of my books and decide that it's been reworked and is really not all that nice. The stocks don't fit well.

The next day I return the gun.

Since that day I've discovered that the gun was legit and worth between 5 and 10 thousand dollars. Maybe more.

Everytime I drive past that pawn shop I have to stop to dry my tears. Boy did I screw up!

I'm so dumb I don't deserve to be fed.

Oro
January 31, 2009, 07:40 AM
Please someone make me feel better and tell me that I am not the only one this has ever happened too...

Honestly, you are probably the only member of the forum for less than six months who didn't know NC has a $5 handgun purchase permit from the local Sheriff. If you'd done some homework or been a THR member longer than two weeks, you'd have known it.

Knowing your local laws is rule one of being a responsible gun owner. Welcome to the forum, but ask your questions ahead of time, not in front of the BATF check...

Mello
January 31, 2009, 12:23 PM
The dealer from whom you ordered the guns should have informed you of the needed paperwork.

Limeyfellow
January 31, 2009, 12:29 PM

Its a transfer permit for taking handguns into your possession. You have to apply for them at your local police or sheriff department that you fall under, and they perform a quick background check on you and charge you $10. That permit is now usable for the next 12 months. Depending on where you live it can be easy to get a hold of or a pain in the rear. The way it is written you would need a permit to transfer a handgun to a relative as a gift too, or an inheritance etc. It kind of sucks.

A concealed handgun license gets around this of course.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well I felt like an idiot today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!