Whats the best lie you had a gun seller tell you

PDA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

FuzzyBunny
January 31, 2009, 10:41 AM
It might be a lie if just stupid story to get you to buy a gun.

For instance.
I once had a guy tell me "see where it says 1911-A1 ? That A1 means it was made got a General and this one was made for MacArthur"

I knew the guy and said . He said well I tried. I did not know if I was going to be able to say it with a straight face so I thought I would try it on you.

It was a nice tight good shooter as I had shot it before and the guy with me bought it for $200. That was a fair price and really did not need that story.

Whats the biggest load of BS that has been handed you you close a deal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best lie you had a gun seller tell you" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
axeman_g
January 31, 2009, 10:48 AM
I had a guy offer me $100 for a Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 stating that it was a bastardized gun that the Indians built from muskets to use against lever actions in the Indian Wars.

LJH
January 31, 2009, 10:54 AM
Had a dealer tell me that my NIB Python was just a useless revolver and no one would want to buy it because everyone wants autos now. He proceeded to then say that since I was such a nice guy he would give me $100 in the form of in-store credit as a trade in.

Clint C
January 31, 2009, 11:09 AM
"You can't kill an elk or bear with a .30-06. My father inlaw is the only one I know that could do that, but he was the number one shot in the state of Iowa. You need to buy this 300 win mag here."

It cost alot more

MMCSRET
January 31, 2009, 11:15 AM
Its never been fired after dark or carried fast over rough terrain!!!!

RDak
January 31, 2009, 11:19 AM
Had a dealer tell me that my NIB Python was just a useless revolver and no one would want to buy it because everyone wants autos now. He proceeded to then say that since I was such a nice guy he would give me $100 in the form of in-store credit as a trade in.

That FFL doesn't sound stupid, he sounds like a criminal IMHO.

ShadyScott999
January 31, 2009, 11:29 AM
Sure sounds like a crook to me. Not mto me but I did hear a guy at a gunshow tell a buddy theat the unfired Glock 27 he bought the day before was only worth $100 now because it would show up on GunFax as used.

RDak
January 31, 2009, 11:48 AM
Maybe this isn't too dumb but I heard a young salesman tell a buyer that an AR-15 stripped receiver marked "pistol" couldn't be used to make a rifle.

ChromeLibrarian
January 31, 2009, 11:52 AM
I don't know about lies. I've heard some pretty dumb things.

Like the time I was in a gun shop, and overheard a couple of 20-something guys looking at revolvers. Guy A was telling Guy B to buy the 38 instead of the 357 because the 38 was a bigger round. He got in a fight with the gun store employee over it.

"Everyone knows that the numbers stand for the width of the bullet. 38 is bigger than 35," Guy A tells the employee.

When the employee tried to tell them the 38 used a 35 caliber bullet, they called him a liar and a conman and went storming out.

ThrottleJockey
January 31, 2009, 11:59 AM
Why is that? Never did quite get it.

Duke of Doubt
January 31, 2009, 12:00 PM
Let's see.

No, I'd be at it all morning, and I've got some things to do.

But I'll share one.

A Steyr M95/30, import-marked as a non-existent "M95/34", chambered in 8x56R, manufactured in 1917, and sold by a dealer without paper as an "antique" 8x57 Mauser. And the guy at the next table sold me two boxes of 8x56R clipped ammunition, clearly marked as such, as 8x57 Mauser.

They really don't know what they have. They spend more time learning techniques of convincing us that they do, than they spend actually learning how to do.

Even the ones I like get it wrong. Just the other day ... no, I'll let it go.

ChromeLibrarian
January 31, 2009, 12:08 PM
One more.

Last summer, I went to the local swap meet. Some guy has a Marlin 1894 on his table. As I'm looking it over, he's telling me it's a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

He argued with me, even after I showed him the markings on the barrel. He says "It says 1894, that makes it a Winchester." When I pointed out that it actually said Marlin on it, he tells me that Marlin made it under contract for Winchester. At that point, I set the rifle down and walked away.

WarHall
January 31, 2009, 12:20 PM
Tell me I should by an AR, 'cause when TSHTF, The Army and NG's would have parts and ammo laying all over the place'. Like I was going to be the last man standing or something!

MikePGS
January 31, 2009, 12:22 PM
Tell me I should by an AR, 'cause when TSHTF, The Army and NG's would have parts and ammo laying all over the place'. Like I was going to be the last man standing or something!
Maybe he plays a lot of video games and thinks that when you shoot someone IRL that they're weapons and fully loaded magazines will be laying around glowing? :neener:

The Foo
January 31, 2009, 12:29 PM
"Obama's gonna ban it all, and what he can't he will tax the **** out of. So buy now while you still can."

Phydeaux642
January 31, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have one shop that I stop in on occaision and if there is a used gun I am interested in I'll ask them what the low dollar is. The owner will always start whining how he isn't making any money on these guns and he just can't come down on the price. I know that they are probably doubling their money on used guns, so, I always find this a bit irritating.

delta5
January 31, 2009, 12:31 PM
This really isnt a "lie". What cracks me up are these losers at the shows trying to sell wore out, beat to hell Yugoslavian SKS rifles for $250+. I told one guy he could at least clean it before it tosses it on to the table...

Duke of Doubt
January 31, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've never seen a "wore out" Yugoslavian M59/66. I'd pay $250 for a very good or excellent one if I saw it, knowing I could flip it for significantly more money than that around here if it didn't behave itself.

ChromeLibrarian
January 31, 2009, 12:35 PM
I have the advantage of living very close to J&G Sales. Makes it hard for the locals to overcharge for military rifles. Not when they know we can drive over to J&G and get the same rifle for the same price they paid for it.

highlander 5
January 31, 2009, 12:35 PM
you can't put a pre ban magazine in a post ban auto. and this was a dealer I knew well.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
January 31, 2009, 12:39 PM
I get the gun back and the work I had done I could've done better myself with a cordless drill, tap and Dremel tool.

Needless to say, the gun was basically ruined, so I traded it for something else.

Geno
January 31, 2009, 12:41 PM
Most laughable one I ever heard was:

Kimbers are great 1911s! You just have to break-it-in with 750 rounds.

ROTFLMBO! That ought to raise a few eyebrows. :D

Doc2005

Japle
January 31, 2009, 12:43 PM
Guy told me that polishing a Glock connector to get a smoother trigger pull would cause the gun to go full-auto.

delta5
January 31, 2009, 12:45 PM
Duke, im not even talking about the average SKS that the dealers get from the wholesalers. I have see a few at the last gunshow here in Lima Ohio that were totally wore out and junk. If that one rifle I saw was worth $250, then my until I bought it, unfired Yugo in perfect new condition ought to be worth about $500...

jpatterson
January 31, 2009, 12:52 PM
Maybe not so much a lie, but definitely a crazy old man:

I was in a small-town gun store with my buddy as we were passing by, so we decided to check it out. Incredible mark ups. I think they were selling beater 91/30s for $200. Anyway, my buddy is looking for a specific part for one of his rifles, so he goes up and asks the man behind the counter. After telling us that he doesn't have it, he begins yelling, literally about how we need to buy his guns, how Obama is going to force everyone to turn theirs in and we need to be ready for the revolution, or some other. We left pretty quick, LOL.

Went to another gun shop about 2 blocks away, prices were competitive (even with the Obama scare) for EBR's and the guy working was very friendly and helpful.

Guess you gotta just find a good one.

searcher451
January 31, 2009, 12:54 PM
"I don't pretend to be an expert on these things, you know. I just sell 'em."

Jim Watson
January 31, 2009, 01:00 PM
Guy told me that polishing a Glock connector to get a smoother trigger pull would cause the gun to go full-auto.

This is the case. You can overdo anything. A friend of mine let the local Glock pusher polish the guts of his G22 and sure enough it would frequently fire in two or three shot bursts. Never saw it run away and empty the magazine, though.

SundownRider
January 31, 2009, 01:01 PM
Had a guy at a gun show tell me that if I bought the Marlin 1894 in 45 colt, then I could fire 44 special, 44 mag, 44-40WCF and 38-40WCF in it. It was like getting 5 guns in one!
Since words failed me at that point, I just turned and walked away.

nathan
January 31, 2009, 01:08 PM
They dont make them no more , is the usual phase. Okey, je_Kface, keep lying.

Roadwild17
January 31, 2009, 01:16 PM
I walked up to an ammo guy who has cases of winchester and PMC 55gr FMJ.

Me: "Whats the going price on a case" and point to both.
Dealer: "450 for PMC 500 for win"
Me: "Hum.." It was the going price for the show it seamed
Dealer: "The win is better, Israeli commandos use this."
Me. "I see." Walked away "Yeah right"

Deer Hunter
January 31, 2009, 01:41 PM
"Glocks don't recoil as much as other pistols because their frame flexes and bends when you fire it."

Maybe that IS true, but that flexing wouldn't affect the recoil any appreciable amount.

tango2echo
January 31, 2009, 01:49 PM
"They don't make shotguns in 28 gauge anymore, and you can't get ammo for them either".

Same salesman...

"The .308 is too small and not powerfull enough for deer hunting. You really should look at this AK-47 if you want a good deer rifle. (was actually holding an SKS, not an AK)

Still LMAO at this guy.

T2E

coloradokevin
January 31, 2009, 02:05 PM
Had a guy at a gun show one time who was trying to hard sell this old Enfield on people for about $600, if memory serves. The thing was trashed, but he was bragging about how the bore was "perfect... brand new, never fired".

He even hands me the rifle and a bore light to check it out. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a bore in worse condition... corroded, rifling worn away, looked like it had been stored under water. I thanked the guy, and then asked him if I looked like an idiot, and kept walking.

Don't know the "collector value" on a gun like that, but I still call BS on that deal. I sure wouldn't have bought that thing for $600, regardless of how "valuable" it might have been :)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
January 31, 2009, 02:13 PM
I thanked the guy, and then asked him if I looked like an idiot, and kept walking.

Gun show salesman: Idiot :p
Your response: Priceless! :cool:

sm
January 31, 2009, 02:21 PM
Gun Show.

Seller informed folks punching out the charge holes on a Model 10 to accept .357 was doable, and perfectly safe, as the Model 19 was also built on a K frame.

Granted about 2 seconds after that was overheard, the buyers were correctly educated and seller had a emergency session meeting with not only those running the gun show, also some police, and even ATF.

rmb721
January 31, 2009, 02:55 PM
Whenever someone tries to tell me some BS, I usually ask if they have a mirror handy. When they ask why, I tell them I just want to see if I look that stupid.

Little_Bigman
January 31, 2009, 02:57 PM
I was in a little pawnshop looking at a .32 Llama, and the pawnshop guy told me it was brand new, never fired and a steal at 189$.

I popped back the slide ran my little finger in the chamber. It came back black as a coal miner's lung.

The pawnshop guy got a little upset when I dropped the gun on the counter and left.

It did look like a nice little gun though.

CoRoMo
January 31, 2009, 05:18 PM
I don't understand the term "best" lie, but here is a lie nonetheless.

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse and looking for a Ruger Blackhawk .357 for my Dad. He wanted a barrel of 7" or longer and he already owned a 10" Blackhawk. So I asked the manager of the gun section if they had one like that in stock.

He says,
Ruger never made a Blackhawk with a barrel longer than 6.5".

I say,
Oh, yeah they did. I've seen them.

He might have had a rotten day because he wasn't in the mood to accept what I was saying. He had no patients for me and he looks me seriously in the eye and says,
I guarantee you. You haven't.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/112/901867564/wm_md_1033018.jpg
Silly me.

sb_pete
January 31, 2009, 05:33 PM
Definitely the "HEADBONKER K31" (http://curioandrelicfirearmsforum.yuku.com/topic/7006)sale discussed in the Swiss Rifles Forum (http://curioandrelicfirearmsforum.yuku.com/forums/19).
Here is the text of the seller:
Here is another one for the Collectors! A Swiss Schmidt-Rubin K31 7.5x55 Caliber Bolt Action Swiss WW II Army Rifle. This gun was well used in the war, considering its age and use, and has some normal scuffing and wear around the butt end of the stock. Sometimes soldiers would creep up on the sleeping enemy if he was alone and bonk him on the head with his rifle if he was running low on ammunition; This would also keep the noise level down so as not to alert the rest of the enemy's camp! Side sling mounts and Hardwood stock standard equipment. Just the thing for any History buff! Add this one to your Collection Today!
:scrutiny::banghead::scrutiny:

Here is a screen cap of the actual sale page:
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo251/sb_pete/headbonkerk31.jpg

Yosemite Sam
January 31, 2009, 05:37 PM
Dick's salesman: "No such thing as a Mossberg 590. Oh, 500? Got one right here."

Gun shop guy, saying it as a joke: "God carries a 1911."

Boba Fett
January 31, 2009, 05:49 PM
Had a dealer tell me a shotgun was "lightly used" and only had about 20 rounds through it.

Yeah...maybe he should have cleaned the mud out of the barrel and the rust off the action first before telling me it was "like new."

This dealer is always at the Houston gun shows and he always lies about his inventory and has outrageous prices on his used or "like new" guns. And he either claims his optics are new (but have no box of course) or are lightly used. But $10 off the MSRP of a scope because it is "lightly used" isn't really a deal. I'd rather buy the scope new for that kind of "discount."

Also had a dealer tell me that a Mosin-Nagant he was selling was new. Maybe if the stock didn't have any nicks or the metal didn't have any scratches I'd be more likely to believe him.

JWF III
January 31, 2009, 05:50 PM
These are some hilarious stories. Generally I like to know what I'm looking for/at when I go to buy a gun (anything really). So I ask very few questions, if any, other than what's the best price I can get. All that being said, I can't recall any stupid lies that have been told to me. I might just start playing stupid when I go shopping for my next gun. Might make for an entertaining day.

Wyman

Shireman
January 31, 2009, 05:53 PM
At a local gun shop: I asked a salesguy nearby to tell me about the Chinese Paratrooper SKS they had. He said "Yeah its a decent gun but someone sawed off about 4 inches of the barrel. They usually have a grenade launcher on it." There was a Yugo sks next to it.

LeonCarr
January 31, 2009, 06:03 PM
I like how EVERY beat to hell Chinese SKS is a bring back from Vietnam, used during the Tet Offensive, is a collectors item, and is worth 750 bucks :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Shung
January 31, 2009, 06:13 PM
Here is another one for the Collectors! A Swiss Schmidt-Rubin K31 7.5x55 Caliber Bolt Action Swiss WW II Army Rifle. This gun was well used in the war, considering its age and use, and has some normal scuffing and wear around the butt end of the stock. Sometimes soldiers would creep up on the sleeping enemy if he was alone and bonk him on the head with his rifle if he was running low on ammunition; This would also keep the noise level down so as not to alert the rest of the enemy's camp! Side sling mounts and Hardwood stock standard equipment. Just the thing for any History buff! Add this one to your Collection Today!

oh man.. why nobody told me that our infantry actually fought in WW2 ??? (we had some air dogfights though..)

ulflyer
January 31, 2009, 06:39 PM
I told this one long ago but will repeat it: a gun show walk around was offering "the luger that Hitler used to
kill himself". It had obvious blood pitting on outside.
I traded him a Tarus 22 pistol for it. Exc bore and good shooter. He prob went away laughing at the sucker who traded with him. :D

Kman
January 31, 2009, 07:38 PM
At every show, " it's never been fired," course not I say, don't think any gun in here has been!

thorazine
January 31, 2009, 07:41 PM
Gun Show.

Seller informed folks punching out the charge holes on a Model 10 to accept .357 was doable, and perfectly safe, as the Model 19 was also built on a K frame.

Granted about 2 seconds after that was overheard, the buyers were correctly educated and seller had a emergency session meeting with not only those running the gun show, also some police, and even ATF.

Police and ATF?

Really?

Just for misinformation (stupidity)?

Are you trying to sell a gun here?

Whats the best lie you had a gun seller tell you

FuzzyBunny
January 31, 2009, 09:00 PM
Are you trying to sell a gun here?

Just a 1911-A1 that used to belong to Gen MacArthur

Hans Esker
January 31, 2009, 09:22 PM
That a Desert Eagle did not have a lot of recoil. Even as a noob at the time Doubted it.

armoredman
January 31, 2009, 09:51 PM
GunSMITH lied once, badly. Took my wife's brand new taurus 85 down there, cyclinder wouldn't come out. Dumb me didn't know at the time, to check for cyclinder rod unscrewing.
"Gunsmith" took it in back, hear hammering and swearing. Turns out he actually hammered it open, and charged me for it.
Once again, I wasn't into wheelguns at this time, but we decided we'd better test fire this thing. Cyclinder started binding after 10 rounds, and the manager of the range, (and future boss :) ) took one look, and showed me where the "gunsmith" had bent not just the ejector rod, but actually managed to bend the crane as well. Back to Taurus for service, came back with new cylinder/crane assembly. Fastest Taurus customer service ever, 5 weeks.
Never ever went to that "gunsmith" again, thousands swear by the guy.

Had a pawnshop guy swear the Mosin M44 he wanted to sell me was a Vietnam bringback, with the import "billboard"and ATFE serial number right there, missing the bayonet and wood looks like it barely missed the shredder. Priced at SALE! $199.99!!!

goldie
January 31, 2009, 09:58 PM
heres a good one ; he knows a guy who kills deer at 600 yards with a lever action rifle firing from the hip :rolleyes:

gunmaker2872
January 31, 2009, 10:10 PM
went to a local gunshop the other day to see if they would trade me there romanian PSL for my upgraded bushmaster AR 15 with a 400$ scope untop, he said he just picked one up that day brand new in the box for 800$, i said where did you get that? he said he ordered it from bushmaster,, i said wow i thought they were back ordered, he then just stared at me? so i said keep in mind mine has has been upgraded, he took a peek in my case and said yep thats the exact same one i just got from bushamster,, i said so you ordered the XM15 E2S patrolmans carbine, he said yep, so i said i see but mine has been fitted with a free float quad rail, flat top reciever, 16 inch threaded chrome lined barrel, scope and so on, he looked at me kinda funny and said whats a free float quad rail? i kinda laughed and then showed him, then he asked what a flat top reciever was??? at that point i asked him how long he had been working there and he told me he was half owner,, then he said why do you want to trade anyway, i said well for one the ammo would be a hell of alot cheaper,,, his jaw dropped and he said are you kidding me you do realize thats 7.62 54r, thats way more expensive then AR rounds,,, at that point i grabbed my gun and left

rbernie
January 31, 2009, 10:10 PM
Whats the best lie you had a gun seller tell you "I accept your offer - I'll be right over the finish the deal."

jbkebert
January 31, 2009, 10:35 PM
I watched a guy the other day in a local theft shop i mean gun shop trade a parade grade M-1 garand and a bereta 96fs plus $450 for a remington r-15. I went back three days later and the M-1 is on the shelf priced at $1750.00 the rem was only $1000.00 and that is probably $900 more than I would pay for it.

Deadheadted37
January 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
I was looking at a Springfield M1 Garand chambered in .308 and the salesman told my that .308 is a crappy round. I said really, hows that? He said because of the .308, that is why the Garand is not a standard issue weapon for the military anymore. I just smiled and walked away.

btr-cj
January 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
My brother and I bought a 3 pack of Norinco SKS’s from a shop going out of business.
We decided to sell one at a garage sale we had.

This moron looks it over and said hey this is a Japanese triad gun. Very rare.
I tried to tell him it was a Chinese SKS but he said see this triangle (pointing to the factory 26 triangle) this is a triad mark.

I did not bother to ask him what the “Norinco Made in China” markings mean. I did ask him if he wanted it but he said no, he had 2 at home.

C.J.

mm1ut1
January 31, 2009, 10:53 PM
just hang around the Cabela's gun library. The salesman there would put a used car dealer to shame.

Matt-J2
January 31, 2009, 11:21 PM
I hear fairly often that there's only a couple of item X on Gunbroker going for such and such price. Usually turns out there's numerous of those items. Enough of them that I don't bother counting.
The price seems to be the variable. Sometimes they tell me it's much higher than it is, but lately the price has been about right. I think some dealers on GB(much like ebay) just don't know how to label and/or search.

Gunnerpalace
January 31, 2009, 11:21 PM
I have not experienced any..............I'm young though,

Doc_Jude
January 31, 2009, 11:41 PM
Had a guy at a gun show one time who was trying to hard sell this old Enfield on people for about $600, if memory serves. The thing was trashed, but he was bragging about how the bore was "perfect... brand new, never fired".

He even hands me the rifle and a bore light to check it out. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a bore in worse condition... corroded, rifling worn away, looked like it had been stored under water. I thanked the guy, and then asked him if I looked like an idiot, and kept walking.

Don't know the "collector value" on a gun like that, but I still call BS on that deal. I sure wouldn't have bought that thing for $600, regardless of how "valuable" it might have been

That sounds very sketchy, good for you spotting it AND DEALING HARSHLY WITH THE S.O.B.

OTOH, I saw an ACTUAL UNFIRED, UNISSUED Perfectly Mint Lee Enfield No 4 SMLE go for about $900. Hell, if I had had the cash available, I would have bought it myself! I love those guns, they're great.

MatthewVanitas
January 31, 2009, 11:42 PM
At Lock Stock & Guns in 29 Palms, CA:

Me: *looks around* Well, I just got stationed at the base, thought I'd drop by and check out the local gunshops...

Owner: Boy, there ain't no gunshops between here and Loos Angelees, and maybe none left there either. It's the California government running them all out of business. We're about the only one left.

I find out over the next couple weeks that there are two gunshops in Palm Springs 30min away, a Big 5 that sells rifles down the road, and a Yellow Mart sporting-goods store that sells rifles and pistols directly across the street.

Another THR member had a similar experience at the same shop (not to steal his story), where he mentioned that J&G Sales had CA-legal SKSs for $169, and asked if the owner could come down from $450 on the Yugo SKS on the wall. Says the owner: "An SKS, in California, for under $400? You're a liar."

In situations like those, I wish that I or others had the foresight to say "Swell, let's put cash on it! I bet I find an ad selling CA-legal SKS for that price, $100 to the winner.

Big Daddy Grim
January 31, 2009, 11:51 PM
Had a guy tell me that the Kimber he was selling was a custom guarenteed to shoot perfect 3IN. groups at 100yds. :what:

JCDenton
February 1, 2009, 12:05 AM
this is a rather benevolent lie:
a dealer at my local shows has a sign on his case that says
"all modern gun sales must go through an FFL"

my dad and i asked him about it, and he said that since he's a private dealer and doesnt do background checks, that sign is his way of refusing sales to people who he doesnt "like the way they look, talk, walk" act etc.

lol we thought that was pretty good.

TeamPrecisionIT
February 1, 2009, 12:10 AM
Had guy at a shop tell me that Glocks are indestructible that you could throw it in a volcano and pull it out after it melted and still fire it. I have also heard the 'God carries a 1911' statement.

Damian

ljnowell
February 1, 2009, 12:43 AM
Had guy at a shop tell me that Glocks are indestructible that you could throw it in a volcano and pull it out after it melted and still fire it.

you can't? :D

jakemccoy
February 1, 2009, 12:45 AM
"Don't worry because it's not loaded," as the seller was sweeping me.

novaDAK
February 1, 2009, 12:57 AM
Like the time I was in a gun shop, and overheard a couple of 20-something guys looking at revolvers. Guy A was telling Guy B to buy the 38 instead of the 357 because the 38 was a bigger round. He got in a fight with the gun store employee over it.

"Everyone knows that the numbers stand for the width of the bullet. 38 is bigger than 35," Guy A tells the employee.

When the employee tried to tell them the 38 used a 35 caliber bullet, they called him a liar and a conman and went storming out.Why is that? Never did quite get it.The .38 special cartridge was based of off previous cartridge designs which used a .38cal bullet which was the same diameter as the case (like how a .22LR is today still). They just kept the .38 name.

Maxx409
February 1, 2009, 01:41 AM
A Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun wasn't big enough to take squirrel without SERIOUS gunsmith mods to the choke. I needed at least a $500 shotgun, but it would still be cheaper and better than modding the Remington.:eek:

kentucky bucky
February 1, 2009, 01:53 AM
I had a guy tell me that I needed a .270 because the bullet didn't drop any out to 400 yards and you could sight it in at 100 yards and shoot to the same point of aim at any distance you could see an animal.:rolleyes:

I had a vendor of a gun show say that a 30-06 is a dead round an I should buy the more powerful .308 he had, because it's a more modern round and nobody wants a 30-06 anymore. :rolleyes:

I'll give you that gun for LESS than wholesale and I'll probably lose money, but I'll throw in a box of shells too. , but that's only today..........the prices are going to go up shortly......you know everything's going up........it may be the last day they are at this price.....

MinnMooney
February 1, 2009, 02:46 AM
I've never been lied to by a seller - that I know of, anyway. Most people that I've dealt with seem to be very trustworthy and fairly honest.

The only "lie" was when a guy sent me MORE than I had purchased. He sent my rifle in a brand, new, padded case that I hadn't bargained on - FREE - 'cause he thought I might be able to use it!

ljnowell
February 1, 2009, 03:17 AM
I was lied to once by a dealer, but it worked out against him. At a gunshow in Belleville IL. There was this older gent that had a table with about four glocks and a couple of sigs on it right by the front door. I had went to the show with the sole purpose of finding a g21. New, used, didnt matter as long as it was a 3rd gen with finger grooves and a rail. We looked around at all the tabes, and actually found a couple of good deals. I had noted that this guy had a third gen glock but it was in the tupperware box, the serial was dst####us. It was an early 200os (I think May 02, but I dont remember exactly. He was selling it NIB. I knew that it obviously wasnt. He gave me permission to field strip, it had a little powder residue in it, but still had the glock copper grease in all the right places, and looked nice. I noticed that it had a lasermax guiderod laser in it, that still has all of the numbers and looked as though it hadnt been shot much with it in it(the numbers start to wear on them after about 100 rounds). I asked him if he was sure it was new. He said "I know for a fact that it is, I bought it from a shop that went out of business." OK, well we bargained a little bit and I got it for 500OTD. 2 mags, box all the paperwork, etc. He thought he was getting one over on the used gun as new, he didnt even know that it had a 300 dollar guiderod laser installed.

pgeleven
February 1, 2009, 03:34 AM
i took my Savage 10FP to Gander Mtn to have the barrel cryo-accurized (i had bought ti from another store).

the man behind the counter stated that my rifle was 'not intended for shooting animals, this is for shooting people', and stated he wouldnt be suprised if the gunsmith wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole (which he actuall DID service for me)

he also asked why i spent $800 on this rifle when i could have bought another because it would not be accurate at long range. (it is, VERY much so)

rayman
February 1, 2009, 03:34 AM
I was in Sioux City Iowa, Schaels sporting goods in the mall. I was looking at a DPMS AR15. The sales man said it was THE exact issue weapon the Marines & soldiers were using in Iraq & Afganistan. If it's good enough for government work, it was good enough for me... I wanted to punch him in the mouth.

cleardiddion
February 1, 2009, 03:38 AM
I've dealt with Shoot Straight down here in Fl. 'nuf said.

And if you're not very familiar with them it's the only place I've seen a beater M-44 go for $450 as a 'war bring back' and a sporter Carcano with no bolt for $300 as 'the Kennedy rifle'.

laguna0seca
February 1, 2009, 03:52 AM
Had a guy tell me that Obama was going to issue an executive order banning all guns.

MatthewVanitas
February 1, 2009, 04:40 AM
Are Triple K magazines "utter garbage", or did the gunshow seller just say that because he didn't have any to sell me, and wanted to steer me to something that he did have on the table?

I've heard some pretty hilarious versions of "Brand X? Those guns are junk, trust me. They come back broken half the time. Oh, and we don't have any in stock now anyway. Now Brand Y, like this one right here in my case, now these are just great..."

Ian
February 1, 2009, 04:44 AM
I once had dealer pitch me General Patton's tanker M1 for a mere $2800...

bang_bang
February 1, 2009, 05:11 AM
I'm lucky I guess....

My good ol' friend that runs a gun shop close by is as honest as he can be. He's a goofball, and I often spend 2-3 hours just talking with him. He's a one of a kind person, and merely runs the shop to get out of the house and as a hobby. He's retired, and makes just enough to pay the bills for the shop.

The other guys I've just become associated with are some of the nicest, most knowledgeable people around. Their prices are super cheap compared to other gun shops, and they will assist you in any way possible. I'm fairly new to reloading, and those guys set me up with powder, bullets, primer, and some handbooks and gave me some tips on reloading.

Just the other day, I took my Para Ordnance P10 over to have the threads cleaned up in the frame for the grip screws. The guy took it in the back, cleaned them up, put new screws in it in about 10 minutes. When we walked up to the counter I asked him how much I was to pay him. He simply said, "Just come back and see us."
I bought a 100 pack of primers and called it even.:neener:

Cajun Glocker
February 1, 2009, 09:50 AM
Vendor at gun show selling XD's talking to customer...
"You DON'T want a Glock. They aren't safe to carry
cause they don't have any safeties. They can go off
by themselves!"
Idiot.

Wheeler
February 1, 2009, 10:19 AM
I had a dealer tell me one time that Walther quit shipping their P99s with two magazines to keep costs down, then offered to sell me an additional 10 round magazine for $40. I walked on that one.

At gun shows, carrying around a gun of some sort that I want to get rid of, "I'll trade you ANYTHING on this table for that gun!" How about that one?
"Well, any gun on this table but that one..."

It goes on and on... I think the people that work on gun stores go further to give gun owners a bad name than any other group.

Wheeler

goldie
February 1, 2009, 10:32 AM
speaking of patton,i had a dealer tell me he had pattons 1911.....

Greybeard
February 1, 2009, 12:44 PM
After Smith and Wesson had just introduced the 12-ounce .357 (Model 340), I went into Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine to see if they had any yet. After describing what I was looking for, young kid behind the counter says "A FIVE-shot revolver? Smith and Wesson does not even make a FIVE shot revolver." :rolleyes:

markallen
February 1, 2009, 01:47 PM
I was a flea market last summer. There was a guy there with a tent with army surplus. Most of it was clothing and flags. "All American Genuine Army Surplus" hand printed on his tent. First off, everything labeled as "Made in America"
was new, not surplus, and had made in China labels.
Did anyone remember the Surplus guy in " Pulp Fiction" ? The owner could have been his twin, Shaved head, fingers cut of glove ( in 90 degree heat) and black stocking cap rolled edges to just above his ears.
The only reason I stopped was I saw two 7.62Nato battlepacks laying in the dirt in front of his tent.
I stopped and asked him if he had anymore of the battlepacks. His response "You must have a British rifle that shoots those"." No it's 7.62 nato, not .303" I tell him.
"Well those numbers on the side are code to confuse the enemy if they find this stuff, that way if they try to use it in their guns it will blow up".
Then he leans in and whispers, covering the side of his face with his left gloved hand, " I have the better stuff in the back" wink, wink," you know the armor piercing stuff".
Now last summer I turned 49. And I have some gray in my beard and at my temples. So I could look like I was maybe in Nam. And this is what he asks me." Were you in Nam Too"? "Were you"? I asked him." Oh Yea, I served two years". He was thirty if even that. So I asked him if I could take that junk ammo off his hands, being as it's not the "Good Stuff".
Walked away with 400 rounds of 7.62 Nato, " AKA .303" for thirty dollars.

Grey_Mana
February 1, 2009, 02:03 PM
Maryland has a law, where if dealers post a notice of deposit forfeit, if you put a deposit down on a gun and you have a problem with (either with the federal background check or the state police) your deposit is forfeit to the seller (maybe other states have this law too?). Maryland has a lot of paperwork for the seller to fill out, so it seems to me that any seller could intentionally mess up somewhere and pocket the deposit.

There is a hole-in-the-wall gun shop in Glen Burnie Maryland that charges a 50% re-stocking fee if the the paperwork isn't approved. They had a gun I needed for a great price, so I figured I'll just pay with a credit card, and dispute the charge if there is a problem.

The owner's son tells me they have a 15% surcharge if I don't pay cash. He actually insisted it was a great advantage to me to only pay the 50% deposit with cash, and called me stupid for doubting him. Needless to say, they lost the sale of that gun and all my future business.

jeff-10
February 1, 2009, 02:13 PM
One dealer told me, "their is no way that George Bush will let the AWB sunset in 2004"...

I sure hope he sold that M4 configured Colt AR for $2,500 before it expired.

Crunker1337
February 1, 2009, 02:33 PM
I've had people tell me that Desert Eagles are combat firearms.

And yes, that is people in the plural...

patsygarret
February 1, 2009, 02:43 PM
Had a guy at a gun show tell me that the 17 hmr has no drop from the muzzle to 350 yards and also no drift because " it is going so fast" I told him that for coon hunting I prefer th 22 magnum and he states that ,that cartridge was only made to use as the parent case for the 17 hmr and even if I could find a rifle chambered for it the ammo is so expensive, he did have a ruger 10/22 magnum that was a prototype before they decided to neck it down to 17. the rifle was 1100.00 I told him that I have two of those rifles at home that I payed no more than 400.00 for each and walmart carries the ammo for 8-15 dollars a box. he said you must have a 22LR. I quit there and just walked away. but if any of you are interesed in a non existent 22 magnum I can make you a great deal, I will even throw in some expirimental CCi stinger ammo

mathewsman99
February 1, 2009, 04:15 PM
I was looking to buy a 300 wsm for elk hunting and when i was talking about it to the guy behind the counter he said that a 300 wasn't big enough for large game it was more of a whitetail deer gun. of course sence i haven't went elk hunting yet it only shoots ground hogs

Next a guy came in to wally world and was asking the sporting goods person for 10/22 shells the both couldn't find them.

rojocorsa
February 1, 2009, 04:45 PM
speaking of patton,i had a dealer tell me he had pattons 1911.....

Even though we all know that he carried a Colt SAA with ivory grips.

Duke of Doubt
February 1, 2009, 04:50 PM
Patton ND'd a 1911. Nearly blew his own foot off. That's why he didn't like them.

SpeedAKL
February 1, 2009, 06:14 PM
LOL! This thread made my day:).

Most of the local shops here are pretty straightforward, I've never heard outright BS.

Some of the salesmen at the big box stores are good, others not so much. I was told at Dick's once that a Remington 770 will shoot 0.25 MOA out of the box in any caliber and that a Savage 110 package gun will do 0.5 MOA out of the box.

Also got told once that .308 and .30-06 are not enough for big bucks, and the guy then tried to sell me a Savage lightweight gun in .338 Win Mag. I mentioned ammo cost, and he didn't say another word...

SpeedAKL
February 1, 2009, 06:20 PM
I did almost get shafted once at a gun show. A table selling magazines told me that he had these new H&K high reliability AR magazines in, with special red followers that he said would never fail. He specifically told me my AR would never fail to feed if I used these mags. I didn't end up buying, and wondered why such revolutionary technology would be $14 per magazine.

Anyhow, I searched for H&K high reliability mags on the web when I got home and, needless to say, the real things were not $14.

bearmgc
February 1, 2009, 06:31 PM
That he had a Savage 99 made in 2007.

phish
February 1, 2009, 06:42 PM
actually it was a forum member(smithiac). He told me his SW 686 7 shot was discontinued so it brings a premium. He wanted me to add $100 on top of a gun package trade that was worth a hell of a lot more than his used 686.

I proceeded to show him a link of his "discontinued" gun at buds gun shop(it was in stock and priced at $643)

jerkface11
February 1, 2009, 06:42 PM
The $14 mags were probably higher quality than the H&K ones anyway.

delta5
February 1, 2009, 06:44 PM
One thing that annoys me is dealers that walk around a gunshow looking at what you happen to be carrying. They are looking to lowball you on stuff they think they can quickly flip for an outrageous price.

Pilot
February 1, 2009, 06:57 PM
TheFoo wrote:

"Obama's gonna ban it all, and what he can't he will tax the **** out of. So buy now while you still can."

That may be the only true one of the bunch, except he should have added Obama and Congress......

Keep whistling past the graveyard in Maryland buddy. :rolleyes:

Ky Larry
February 1, 2009, 07:02 PM
Went in Bud's Gun Shop years ago when he was on Industry Rd. in Lexington. I was looking at a Rem 700 ADL in .30-06. Bud walked up to me and said:" Larry, if you don't buy that rifle today, I'm going to have to close the doors. I can't even pay the light bill." Total B.S. Even Bud couldn't keep a straight face after that tall tale.

Slade797
February 1, 2009, 07:05 PM
I build AK-47 rifles, so i know a bit about 'em from my research. I was looking at a Romanian G at a local shop, a Century build. Of course it was stamped "CIA." Dealer tried to tell me that stood for "Central intelligence Agency." I asked him if that was the reason for the insanely high price of $850. :evil:

sturmgewehr667
February 1, 2009, 07:11 PM
ARs are better than garands :barf:

MatthewVanitas
February 1, 2009, 08:23 PM
ARs are better than garands

:rolleyes:

Clearly a lie, which is precisely why the US military is pulling M16-A4s from the frontlines in Afghanistan and re-issuing M1s to entire platoons.

Now that would be a great gunseller lie, and apparently some shops apparently claim that about the M14. Sure a few M14s have been hauled out of storage to be DM rifles, but that's a very tiny, tiny number for a very specialized job, and certainly doesn't reflect a general dissatisfaction with the M16. Ditto the whole M9 issue; a bare handful of folks use the M1911 or M11 (Sig228) these days, but clearly the military doesn't think it an important enough issue to recall the thousands of M9s out in the field.

lanternlad1
February 1, 2009, 08:28 PM
"Had a guy tell me that Obama was going to issue an executive order banning all guns."

I had one guy tell me that Obama is going to pass a 500% increase in ammo taxes all by himself and he doesn't need Congress to do it, as he can do it by Executive Order. I then pointed out that:

1.) Obama doesn't have the power to pass legislative action like that by himself as he is in the Executive branch of gov't, not the Legislative branch...

2.) The last President/Congress that tried something stupid like that (1994 AWB) lost dearly at the polls...

3.) Such a tax has been deemed unconstitutional by a Federal court. (Murdock vs. Pennsylvania 319 US 105 (1942))...

4.) That the "facts" for this rumor came from the fact that he had voted for such a idiotic bill in the Illinois State senate already (which failed, I believe)...

5.) The .223 he was trying to sell me was paper punching ammo, (Rem UMC) not "premium HD" ammo, and thus not worth $20.00/20 rounds. This was enforced by the fact that it was FMJ, not JHP or JSP...

His eyes started to glaze over half way through and he just walked away when I finished speaking.

I can play the "Know-It-All" game too... :)

Baba Louie
February 1, 2009, 09:25 PM
I've posted this once before...

Bass Pro Shops... looking at S&W's TRR327 or whatever its called, and was told that the 4 attachment screw holes for the top Picatinny rail were (and I quote) "to fine tune the barrel's harmonics for accuracy".

To which I replied, "Well I'll be. The heck you say. Didn't know that." ;)

He pointed out the shroud and barrel being 2 components and said S&W "Just invented the barrel & shroud concept and as he was a bullseye shooter he could vouch for their accuracy" (I do not doubt their accuracy)

I thought it was a pretty fine little tale myself. Creative, plausible and delivered w/ a very straight face (looked me right in the eye he did!).

unspellable
February 1, 2009, 09:56 PM
First I know that I am a Luger fan. I'd heard the apocryphal story about the pusher claiming his nickle plated piece was an "officer's special". never thought I'd see it. (Oops! I mean hear it.)

Then it happened at the local show. Guy behind the table claimed his nickle plated Luger was an "officer's special". This Luger had pretty thick nickle plating on it, but not thick enough to hide the fact that no self respecting German soldier, office or other ranks, would have been caught dead with such a piece of scrap iron. Looked like it was a British "bring back" that had been fished out of the channel 40 years after the British soldiers were informed they'd be in d**p s***t if caught with such a trophy and tossed them over the rail.

Macmac
February 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
Had a dealer try to sell me a 30-40 Krag Model 1898, as a late American Civil War musket once.. :D

snipe300
February 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
Had a guy in a gunshop in Dickson, TN (he didn't work there) start preaching to me about how a .300 WM was good out to even 300 yards. Not really a lie, but I dont like being taken for a rookie who doesn't know his ballistics.

chihuahuatn
February 2, 2009, 01:05 AM
True story, when I called Sig-Arms (while in the Keys, on the beach btw) to order a new recoil spring for my SIG P229 .40, he told me that they were rated for 100k rounds before replacement was needed, I was like, "well I need one just in case". A very nice salesman...but when I got off the phone (sipped my Pina Colada) and kept thinking they getting short in recoil spings at SIG ARMS :D

sigman69
February 2, 2009, 08:48 AM
i remember at a gun show a dealer that was next to our table said that he would never own an sks cause the chrome lined barrels wear out quicker than a standard barrel and that the sks are so inaccurate...I told the guy...arent you talking about a mini 14!!! he didnt like that response!!!!

expvideo
February 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
Sure sounds like a crook to me. Not mto me but I did hear a guy at a gunshow tell a buddy theat the unfired Glock 27 he bought the day before was only worth $100 now because it would show up on GunFax as used.
LOL, Gunfax.

So there are a few lies that I've heard, but some of the more entertaining ones are:

"They're going to ban assault rifles soon!" (ever since 2004, more so recently, but very much so before Obama was even running for office)

"They're gonna run out of 7.62x39 ammo!"

I had a guy at a pawn shop tell me that there was a mandatory 10 business day hold on handguns, even if you have a CPL. He told me that it was because they were a pawn shop and there was some special law for pawn shops. I went to the other pawn shop that was up the street 5 blocks, and we had a good laugh at the other shop's expense. There is no hold period. There never has been. If you have a CPL, you can take the gun with you that day. If you don't, there is a waiting period, but it sure isn't 10 business days!

Vonderek
February 2, 2009, 10:29 AM
"We don't carry Walther...they're junk." (customer leaves)

".45 Hyrdrashock is garbage...they don't expand. That's why I carry FMJ."

".308 will just go through a wall but .223 will be like a hand grenade on the other side."

These three gems and more were all uttered by the same pawn shop commando in under 5-minutes of one-sided conversation.

BBQLS1
February 2, 2009, 11:12 AM

He doesn't? :confused:

Flame Red
February 2, 2009, 11:49 AM
I've dealt with Shoot Straight down here in Fl. 'nuf said.

And if you're not very familiar with them it's the only place I've seen a beater M-44 go for $450 as a 'war bring back' and a sporter Carcano with no bolt for $300 as 'the Kennedy rifle'.

LoL! Yeah, I love Larry, the Gun Shop Guy at Shoot Straight. My brother-in-law goes in thinking about trading in a AR-15 in a Klinton post ban configuration after the ban expired. Larry worked him out a trade deal on a pistol he wanted. But Larry did not realize that my brother-in-law was in a few days before. The deal Larry wanted HIM to pay an extra $100 to take it off his hands over the deal without the trade a few days before!

Monolith
February 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
Had a guy at work once tell me that the 50AE with a Desert Eagle was designed by the Israelis to shoot down helicopters.

Seriously, I can't make this up.

The Lone Haranguer
February 2, 2009, 03:26 PM
I can't say if it was a lie or a mistaken statement, but I was looking for a S&W 640-1 in .357 Magnum when they first came out and the guy told me it was "for law enforcement only." :rolleyes: I ordered one from another dealer later.

BTW, I liked that gun until the first time I shot it. ;)

expvideo
February 2, 2009, 04:03 PM
I can't say if it was a lie or a mistaken statement, but I was looking for a S&W 640-1 in .357 Magnum when they first came out and the guy told me it was "for law enforcement only." I ordered one from another dealer later.

BTW, I liked that gun until the first time I shot it.
A lot of guns are available for LEO purchase only before they are available for the general public. Beretta's PX4 was marked as LEO only on their website before its release date. I think that it is standard practice in the gun industry to give "first dibs" to LEO agencies when a new gun is released.

Norinco982lover
February 2, 2009, 05:18 PM
When I was looking at my Norinco 982 the man at the gunshow table told me "it's probably never been shot" ... The gun has approximately 12 scratches on it's black finish covering the entire gun. I just smiled and handed over the $100. I don't really know if the gun was ever shot or not... I suppose someone might have dropped it on the ground and stomped on it a few times just for fun. It's been a great gun for me.

~Norinco

sturmgewehr667
February 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
pawn shop commando

lol, that is a term i will start using

sturmgewehr667
February 2, 2009, 06:00 PM

lol, everyone knows that god carries a garand and jesus carries a 1911

pyle
February 2, 2009, 06:02 PM
That you could shoot a man in the pinkie finger with a .45 auto and it would knock him down to the ground.....

indoorsoccerfrea
February 2, 2009, 06:05 PM
well it could....if it then continued to penetrate the rest of his body

Acera
February 2, 2009, 06:23 PM
How many times have I heard,

If you flute a barrel it will make it more rigid, lol..............

melikesguns
February 2, 2009, 06:30 PM
My local pawn shop has nothing but "new" guns. He obviously means new to him. Thats OK, He got my Kimber Tactical II Special Edition for A steal at $1200.00

Special Edition meant a stripped down model I gave $700.00 for.

I had done nothing to it, but for my story, it had a match trigger and barrel. Also upgraded internals, and was a custom, ala "special edition" stamp.

He thought I really had $2500.00 in it. I only did that because, back before I knew better, he sold me a "new" P11 that was worn out.

.cheese.
February 2, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have been told over and over at gun shows by vendors when I ask if they have any 5.56mm ammo, that there is no difference at all between 5.56 and .223 Rem and that I'm not going to find 5.56mm marked ammunition because that's for the military. The civilian equivalent is .223 Rem.

What's stupid is the number of times I've been told this by different (or I assumed) vendors.

Speedo66
February 2, 2009, 07:36 PM
The first words out of many a gun show parts vender is "what are you looking for". Then whatever they have, that's it.

I've learned if I see something that might be it, to make them tell me what gun it's for before I'll tell them which gun part I'm looking for.

Guess they feel they'll never see you again, but I have a long memory for BS like that.

Rimmer
February 2, 2009, 07:39 PM
delta5
One thing that annoys me is dealers that walk around a gunshow looking at what you happen to be carrying. They are looking to lowball you on stuff they think they can quickly flip for an outrageous price.

I grew tired of Dealers wanting to look at what I was carring around the gun shows and then saying to me, after I gave them my price, "Bring it back around later and I'll make you a fair offer". The two times I went back they offered me half of what I eventually sold it for.

Now when I walk through and they ask, I just tell them, "You can't afford it" and walk away.

Dealers are there to sell whatever they have at whatever price they can get. They have no incentive to pay you what it's worth so don't bother asking them. If a new-be/virgin gets stung it will be his fault for not asking/researching before he walked in.

That said, I've always offered my 2˘ and more than once have had people stop me and ask for more info before they buy.

I have rarely had a dealer give me a completely truthful answer to my question. The few that have, have correctly sized me up based on my questions.

steak-knife
February 2, 2009, 08:33 PM
Sales guy told me a little bit of a whopper to get me to buy more ammo.

Long story short, I found a stash of "new" old store stock .38 special non+P Nyclads, which were only until recently discontinued. They were reasonably priced, so I bought a few boxes, leaving the remaining boxes behind because I was at my wallets limit. Yes, guns & ammo= good, but I also have to buy food and everthing else "necessary" for the family.

Sales guy tells me that I better buy up the rest because the Nyclads were armor piercing and that they're "really getting hard to get" and will be probably sold out within the next few nano-seconds.....

Had to hold my tongue and not blurt out a "Oh, really....?" before politely correcting him that the whole point of Nyclads was to help the bullet expand, not penetrate armor. He also gave me a look as if I were wearing a tinfoil hat when I told him that Federal was making Nyclads again.

The Lone Haranguer
February 2, 2009, 08:39 PM
I have been told over and over at gun shows by vendors when I ask if they have any 5.56mm ammo, that there is no difference at all between 5.56 and .223 Rem and that I'm not going to find 5.56mm marked ammunition because that's for the military. The civilian equivalent is .223 Rem.

That could be another mistaken statement borne of a misconception, rather than a lie. I didn't know about the one-way interchangeability myself until fairly recently.

Redneck with a 40
February 2, 2009, 08:42 PM
I actually heard a dealer at a gun show, tell some guy, that a Taurus Judge 45/410 is the ultimate home defense gun, lol! The ultimate home defense gun, in my opinion, is a 12 gauge.

As far as Kimber 1911's go, it does say in the owners manual, that you should run 500 rounds of ball ammo through it, before its deemed reliable.

RP88
February 2, 2009, 08:44 PM
"We got the best AK and AR prices in the area."

This usually translates as "we're the only ones with ARs and AKs left in the area." Go figure.

Simpleman04
February 2, 2009, 09:18 PM
when I got my mp340 at a show, he said it i'll hurt like hell after 50rounds of full power loads, oh wait he was right.

But when I was young dumb and stupid I bought a S&W Sigma 40ve for 350 because he said its a new and improved version of a glock. Actually I bought it becasue I had 400 to spend which ment I could shoot 100 rounds and buy a box of golden sabers.

45crittergitter
February 2, 2009, 09:57 PM
I really hate to admit it, but once a guy sold me some .41 Magnum Black Talons. :banghead: Yeah. They really were Black Talons - 10mm loaded into .41 cases. :cuss:

:o

Travis Bickle
February 2, 2009, 10:05 PM
Some of these posts remind me of why I never go to gun shows anymore. Seems like there's nothing there in the way of off-paper sales except for lots of sketchy characters trying to unload worthless, shot-out junk to newbies who don't know any better.

If you prefer to purchase your guns off-paper, classified ads are a much better way to go. Someone is much less likely to try and pull a fast one if you know where they live.

I hate to say this, but if the antis manage to get gun shows shut down, it wouldn't really bother me that much. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of folks.

cuervo
February 2, 2009, 11:22 PM
"Last chance to buy this Springfield A4 Sniper Rifle" showing me a sporterized A3. I passed on this one. I did buy a Wamo .22 from him.

Another one when I didn't know any better was that "this Fed-Ord" is mil-spec and is made much better than a Springfield M1A.

LSU Fan
February 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
Overheard a salesman tell a mother looking to buy a pistol for her son say that...

"This is a glock. The thing about the glock is that it doesn't have any kind of safety on it, and the only way to safely carry a glock is without one in the chamber. If you ever have to use it you will have to quickly rack one in the chamber before you can shoot."

I thought about saying something, but I just turned around and walked away.

Olympus
February 3, 2009, 12:55 PM
I might have told this one before, but it bears repeating. I was looking at a Ruger No.1 at a small gun shop out of town. I'll give the guy this, I probably did look like a yuppie from the city with my shirt and tie on but I left right from work. Anyway, he's a got a No.1 with a red pad in decent condition for $875. I ask what's the best he can do on the rifle for a cash sale. He says oh I couldn't take anything less than $875 for it. He says that probably because there's quite a few other customers standing around looking at other guns. So I tell him that I can order a brand new one for $800. This catches him off guard because he looks at me for a second. Then he says this: "Not in .243 you can't, they don't make a Ruger No.1 in .243 anymore." I just couldn't help grinning on that one. I said "Hey, you wouldn't have a Ruger catalog around or the internet I could look at on that do you?" Then he notices all the other customers looking at him funny and decides to change his story. He says, "What I mean is you can't get one with the red pad anymore." I said obviously and whistled my way out the door. :D

ArmedBear
February 3, 2009, 12:55 PM
A 10/22 is a great gun.

cleardiddion
February 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
Lol, AmredBear!

True that, my Marlin 60 will shoot the tacks off the 10/22's shotgun-patterned target :p

chuckusaret
February 3, 2009, 04:03 PM
I took my Mossberg 500 12 ga 20" barrel with all the after market crap to the local gun shop to have it ported. When I took it out of the case the salesman helping another customer said to his customer; "There is the reason they are going to ban assult weapons". This gun is only good as an attention getter.

gopguy
February 3, 2009, 08:15 PM
A little off as this was not a story to me, but a rip off nonetheless.

I was in a gun shop when two old ladies came in with three nice shotguns . A Remington 870 and Ithaca 37 both in 410. and a Browning Auto 5. Ones husband had died and so she did not want the guns in the house. The dealer offered them $150 for all three, and to my stunned amazement they took it, with delight...

Merkelman
February 3, 2009, 08:48 PM
When they tell you their cost!!

crazy-mp
February 3, 2009, 11:58 PM
Had a woman pawn shop dealer try to tell me that her Remington made Mosin 91/30 was made by Remington for U.S. troop in 7.62 X 54 so if we ever got into a war with the Russian we could use those guns to fight them with their own ammo. (the glowing ammo from one of the earlier responses comes to mind) This gun was probably snuck out of a armory somewhere, or might have been a bring back.

Ok I have waders and I am not afraid to get in too deep, but here’s what really made me mad

When I went back to pick up the gun a couple weeks later, I was going to use my C&R license. She tells me that the C&R licenses are only good for buying parts kits and that the ATF will not allow her to transfer a gun to a C&R license.

I am still being calm at this point :fire:

So I fill out the required paper work, they call it in, and guess what I am not a criminal or wanted by any major law enforcement groups. Then she tries to take a copy of my C&R.

Yeah that’s pretty much when I lost it, I told her that she would not get a copy of it, and I reminded her of what she told me about the parts kits, and asked her how many guns she was going to put in her book that I bought from her.

It is amazing what I did for a $75 gun.:evil::D

RaferJanders
February 5, 2009, 07:59 PM
Well, 66912 and myself were in a gun shop in Portland's East Side, can not recall the Name, One of the owner's Daughters works the counter Not only hotter than a 150 dollar AK, but a wealth of information on all types of firearms, What a gal, Well one of her regulars remarked how he bought that last 38 for his daughter and she took back to Arizona were she lives and is a resident, The incredbly beautiful gun saleswomen early 20ies Replied " Why did you tell me That!" We could lose our shop, Because you made a straw purchase. The old crank started to tell the girl she was wrong and he could buy a gun for anyone he wants, He was getting loud and rude, So I stepped in and explainned the Law to him, He replied, Well your not going to take away my civil rights! With that comment, 66912 was laughing so hard and the Hot girl was laughing, I just smiled and Nope they are not going to take your civil rights, and you know what? He said What? I said you cant fix stupid! He said thats right! and stormed out. She smiled and said thanks, Well I went to another part of the store, and When I returned to the area she works in, She had removed her sweatshirt and was sporting a very nice yellow tank top, 66912 smiled and said she did that for you, I went yea sure, As we were leaving she smiled and said I hope I see you again soon, I smiled and said Of course you do!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 5, 2009, 08:29 PM
I can't top most of these 6 pages, but like most I suspect, I've been told that an AK type in x39 is a long range sniper rifle.

delta5
I grew tired of Dealers wanting to look at what I was carring around the gun shows and then saying to me, after I gave them my price, "Bring it back around later and I'll make you a fair offer". The two times I went back they offered me half of what I eventually sold it for.

Now when I walk through and they ask, I just tell them, "You can't afford it" and walk away.

Yep, I got sick of vendors lowballing me and wasting my valuable show-walking time, so now I just say "It's not for sale" or "I don't sell to vendors".

Claude Clay
February 5, 2009, 08:32 PM
Had a woman pawn shop dealer try to tell me that her Remington made Mosin 91/30.......

model of 1916 made by remington and westinghouse.......
not well known but they do exist

Coyote_Hunter_
February 5, 2009, 08:48 PM
Was looking at a new Howa at a gunshow last weekend.

The seller claimed it was made by Weatherby...

Bartkowski
February 5, 2009, 08:59 PM
Had a woman pawn shop dealer try to tell me that her Remington made Mosin 91/30 was made by Remington for U.S. troop in 7.62 X 54 so if we ever got into a war with the Russian we could use those guns to fight them with their own ammo. (the glowing ammo from one of the earlier responses comes to mind) This gun was probably snuck out of a armory somewhere, or might have been a bring back.

Remington did make some Mosins. Did you see the gun? She may have confused the gun for a 91/30. Could have been a great deal for you if she did.

cracked junior
February 5, 2009, 10:01 PM
A few weeks ago had a Cabelas counter person tell me that the Luepold VX-III 6.5-20x40 is not a good scope and I will not be happy with it. instead I should buy theTasco target/varmint 6-24x42.

TX1911fan
February 6, 2009, 11:33 AM
Well one of her regulars remarked how he bought that last 38 for his daughter and she took back to Arizona were she lives and is a resident,

This doesn't sound like a straw purchase to me, but rather an illegal transfer across state lines. I've bought a bunch of guns for people as gifts. Nothing wrong with that. But none of them are residents in other states. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think I am. We should make sure our information is correct if we are going to have 6 pages of stories of other people getting it wrong.

Travis Bickle
February 6, 2009, 11:58 AM
This doesn't sound like a straw purchase to me, but rather an illegal transfer across state lines.

If it was legal for her to posses the gun in the state she was given it in, and also legal for her to posses it in Arizona, then it sounds to me like she'd be protected by McClure/Volkmer.

hksw
February 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
Well one of her regulars remarked how he bought that last 38 for his daughter and she took back to Arizona were she lives and is a resident,...

Sounds to me like the gun was gifted from father to daughter. Quite legal if she is not excluded from purchasing (those types of) firearms (in her area of residence).

gdcpony
February 6, 2009, 01:56 PM
Was looking at a new Howa at a gunshow last weekend.

The seller claimed it was made by Weatherby...
May not have been an intentional lie. The Howa 1500 is made in the same Japanese factory that made the Weatherby Vanguard action. Might be a little confusion. I hear (never tried) that all the parts are interchangeable from one to the other. I know the scope mounts are the same.

logjam
February 6, 2009, 02:58 PM
I was a teenager. I showed a dealor my dad's issue 1911. It had a 41,000 serial number. It was made in 1915.

The dealor said, "Boy the finish sure is rough, why don't you have it reblued?"

I said that it was pretty rare. He said that, "Naw these things were made by the boat load. They have no real value".

So I followed the guy's advice and gave it to him to be reblued! New sights too.

I could shoot myself!

2RCO
February 6, 2009, 03:06 PM
logjam unless this was 20 years ago you should kick him square in the junk.

sarge83
February 6, 2009, 03:08 PM
I was in a gun store that I seldom frequent because the owner is the slime of humanity. The owner of this notorious shop saunters up to me while I am looking at a used Model 10 S&W. He pulls out a Bryco .380 chrome plated POS and proceeds to tell me how it was the most reliable gun on the market and the .380 caliber was a real man stopped and he would work with me to get it OTD for $200 instead of the $250 marked price.

I just rolled my eyes and walked out. Every now and then I will go back in just to take a look and then I hear the owner bsing some poor bas*ard and end up walking out wondering why I go in there twice a year for...

Walkalong
February 6, 2009, 03:10 PM
I heard a guy at the last gun show tell a would be buyer that the double action revolver he was looking at had a "safety" "You let the hammer down to it, about halfway down"

I don't think he was lying, I just think he was seriously ignorant.

Ignatius
February 6, 2009, 04:36 PM
This REALLY happened to me!

I was about 30 yrs old and my best friend wanted to buy a Beretta 92 and he knew that a Gun show was coming soon to our city. He went and did the required paperwork to get a permit to purchase a pistol and the day before the gun show his wife went out of town and had his wallet in her car so he didnt have a state issued drivers license with him, instead he had his US Passport. We looked at several tables and he found the Beretta that he wanted (Inox by the way) and he handed over the cash, the pistol permit and his passport to the vendor. "Whoa there buddy, I need your DL or I cant sell this to you" My friend: "Sir, that is a US Passport and it is a Federally issued ID confirming my identity and address, its as good as or better then a state isued DL" The vendor refused to sell him the Beretta claiming that he was trying to buy it with invalid ID.

here is the best part

The guy at the NEXT table heard the whole thing and as we started to walk away he said "I have the same Beretta in Inox and will sell it at the same price and I know that the Passport is acceptable as ID for the transaction"

The first vendor watched in shock as we handed over the cash and the vendor who actually made the sale looked at him and said "buddy you are a total dumbass and I just made a $500 sale because you dont know what a passport is"

My friend still has that Beretta too.

sturmgewehr667
February 6, 2009, 05:03 PM
"if you remove the firing pin, the gun will be full auto"

"you need a license to buy sheenguns" (he actually said sheenguns)

"this here is a german mp40" (holding up a m&p 40)

"you'll shoot yer eye out"

"you can't hunt with sheenguns like that ak-47"

"only criminals use assault rifles"

"45-70 drops 25' at 200 yards"

"30-06 is obsolete"

"glocks are completely plastic"

"garands are junk"

"no one makes 1911s anymore"

and many more

Boats
February 7, 2009, 01:34 AM
I was at a gun show looking for an M&P when the new S&W had come out. At one of the tables full of older black tupperware the guy asks, "Why you want one of them? All the cops 'round here use Glocks, so ya know they're the best."

I just moved on, but not before saying, "That lowest bidder concept must be one of those internet fairy tales or something."

lanternlad1
February 7, 2009, 01:43 AM
I once saw a dealer at a show sell a USED Hi-Point 9mm to a sucker for $250. (For those who don't know, you can get them for $150 new)

Yosemite Sam
February 7, 2009, 05:17 AM
Just last night, salesman was referring to a screw-in "tactical" choke on the muzzle of a pump action shotgun:

"Yeah, it's real sharp. If you ram it against a door knob, it'll bust the door down. The gun's made for going into a house, not coming out."

4Freedom
February 7, 2009, 06:46 AM
Obama is going to ban all our guns, especially assault weapons. HAHAHA, like he would ever do that. :neener:

Maverick223
February 7, 2009, 02:38 PM
"no one makes 1911s anymore"
That's true...every1 makes 1911s. :D

federalfarmer
February 7, 2009, 03:07 PM
Cabela's Gun Library.........the computer they use to 'look up gun values' is really the long list of lies recently approved by managment.
Anyone notice that 'gun prices went up about 2 years ago on that style' and you just missed the deals!
And my favorite.....'if your over 30 you can't see any more detail then what a pine ridge scope can show you!'

delta53
February 7, 2009, 03:20 PM
This Century91 is almost as good as HK91 Bob @sarco

barman
February 7, 2009, 03:35 PM
I've been lied to by an antique arms dealer.

He had a nice 1860 Army Colt 2nd generation he was trying to pass as an original 19th century gun.

I pointed out to him that the gun looked too much in a good shape to be real and that "mint" ones like that would generally cost 3 times the priced asked.
Too good to be true.

He answered that it had been re-polished and re-blued, which was true, but it was obvious that the replica maker's markings under the barrel had been sanded off/

I'll never visit that shop again.

smokemaker
February 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
True that, my Marlin 60 will shoot the tacks off the 10/22's shotgun-patterned target

I've got a bone stock 10-22 with the cheapest Tasco 4X you can buy on it that will scare most Marlins off the range.

And no, I'm not a Ruger fan... at all. I guess even a blind pig (Ruger) finds an acorn (a 10-22 that thinks it's a match Anschutz) once in a while.

Or maybe I'm a blind pig. Who knows.

Anyways, had a gunstore cowboy tell me the .300 Savage was Savages answer to the .308 WCF, but the short throat kept it from being as fast as the .308. I replied, with head cocked like a curious dog, "REALLY?"

snead888
February 7, 2009, 08:08 PM
I was holding a cz-452 to purchase at a gun shop and the clerk asks me which one it was so he could go get it in the back. I told him it was the cz-452 ultra lux, then he says to me, "you mean the American with iron sights? Cause the one you said doesn't exist." I ask him to go back and check and sure enough he comes back with an ultra lux and tail between his legs. At least he admited his mistake and didn't actually lie. But still kinda bad.

Glockman17366
February 7, 2009, 09:48 PM
I don't know where you folks shop, but I've never had a dealer lie to me.
Normally, I know exactly what I want and am quite knowledgeable about what I want before I buy.

Yosemite Sam
February 7, 2009, 11:10 PM
Dick's Sporting Goods and Cabela's. The smaller standalone gun shops aren't as bad. They may not know everything about every model, but at least they don't BS you.

txgolfer45
February 7, 2009, 11:17 PM
Bushmaster AR-15 is the same as Colt AR-15. See, the flat top has the same mark on it. Both are made with the same components. :eek:

FuzzyBunny
February 8, 2009, 10:08 AM
Never owned a AR.
But I thought Bushmaster AR-15 parts were interchangeable with the Colt AR-15. Is that wrong?

LTR shooter
February 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
A few years back I briefly played with the idea of trading my Marlin 39 , dealer says I can give you $175 tops - we sell used ones all the time for $200. Really?:rolleyes: I'll buy all you can get at that price.

I overhear a Gander Mountain "legal expert" giving advice to a woman who has a restraining order on her ex and wanting a gun for defense. Was showing her a DA revolver and said "As soon as you pull the hammer back for SA its considered premeditated murder." I am wondering? If she shoots her ex dead in self defense in her own home is his ghost going to hire a lawyer and file charges - "She shot me dead in the SA mode."

Halo is for Kids
February 8, 2009, 11:24 AM
Springfield Armory is the oldest gun maker in the USA

This sales person decided to demonstrate the virtues of the XD line of handguns:
-He removed it from the locked display case without ever clearing it.
-He waved it around and muzzle swept everyone to his left (group of teens) while pulling the trigger to show how the trigger and grip safety worked.

txgolfer45
February 8, 2009, 12:12 PM
With an AR-15, yes, most parts are very much interchangeable. But, out of the box, the components in a Colt are not all identical to the components in a Bushmaster. For example, the barrel may have a different twist ratio, type of steel and come from a different vendor our built in-house. They may look the same. But, they are different.

skeet king
February 8, 2009, 03:11 PM
I was going to buy a tc icon I had cabelas hold for me I walked in and asked to see the gun, and the guy hands me a .270 (I had them hold a 30.06) and when I point out the mistake, he tells me they are the same thing... I just turned and left
I should have thanked the bum, cause I went to gander and the nice guy behind the counter sold me a beautiful savage 114

X-Rap
February 8, 2009, 04:31 PM
Had a buyer ounce tell me he was California bound to meet Steven Seagal for some tactical training.:rolleyes:

Maverick223
February 8, 2009, 04:36 PM
Had a buyer ounce tell me he was California bound to meet Steven Seagal for some tactical training.
Don't let Stevie hear ya...he's a bad day maker... :D

Maverick223
February 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
When asked to be put on the waiting list for a Kahr P380..."Kahr doesn't make a 380, you mean a Kel-Tec P3AT". Hindsight, it is somewhat true...will they ever make more than one 380? Kahr website: expected delivery..."June 08'...August 08'...Last Quarter 08'...January 09'...Sometime in 2009...Maybe in 2012...Did We Say .380?..." :banghead:

22lr
February 8, 2009, 04:49 PM
Best I had was a dealer stopped me and asked me if I was selling my Henry 22lr (I did a few shows later) he proceded to offer $150 in trade or $120 cash. I looked at his table and saw a marlin lever 22lr that someone had painted the stock (a nice poo brown color), had hammer marks all over the receiver (that were really deep) and the action was quite stiff. I asked him how much and he offered a strait trade I said I could do a trade + $100 he countered with the gun +20 (my Henry was LNIB) I thanked him left and sold it for $210 cash.

Ive been told that its ok to make my Sigma automatic, kinda just chuckled as I walked away (quickly).

Most guys I deal with are honest hard working people who will sell a gun but not until you know what your getting.

desidog
February 8, 2009, 05:00 PM
I had some pawnshop guy in Hailey, ID tell me that it was "common for competition shooters to cut down fluted barrels...so they're shorter and lighter...but they don't lose accuracy since the fluting makes the barrel more accurate." I said, "wow, have any pictures of that?" ...nope.

f4t9r
February 8, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have heard some good ones. Here are some repeated ones.
I have only shot it a couple times.
They only made a limited suppy of this model (Marlin model 60).
Like new in the box in some cases is way off.

22lr
February 8, 2009, 05:27 PM
O ya I remember a funny one. I was looking at a guy who had a lot of collectibles (real stuff) from the civil war, Indian wars. So im talking to him about some of his stuff and he pulls out some war clubs, he hands me one and goes it was used to brain a soldier and proceeds to show me some white stuff in a crevice calling it dried brains. I look at him kinda half way believing him and half way thinking he was BSing me. He starts laughing kinda hard and said he had wanted to tell someone that for a long time (I was new at the game still). We had a good laugh and while I didn't buy anything (that club was going for about 2k if memory is correct) I still go by his booth every show and chew the fat. Great guy.

usp9
February 8, 2009, 06:13 PM
At a gun show I was looking at a CZ82. It looked like it lost a long fight with a weed-whacker, or was worn in a concrete holster.:uhoh: Anyway, the seller walks up and says what a nice gun it is and then says "It's new". "New", I ask??, :confused: "Yes, new in box", he huffed!

Best laugh I had that day for sure. :D

GlenJ
February 8, 2009, 06:17 PM
At the last show here I saw an $1100 price tag on an Romy AK-47. That's a pretty big lie to me!!!!!!!!

45crittergitter
February 16, 2009, 12:53 PM
Here's a couple more:

Pinaire (spelling?) Gunsmithing's ads actually state that fluting a barrel increases rigidity. As a professional engineer, I hereby call them on that lie.

Once a gunshow dealer tried to convince me that a Benelli auto shotgun was essentially a blowback action - that the bolt was unlocked and was pushed back to operate by the recoil of the shell.

Like someone before said, you can't fix stupid.

larry_minn
February 16, 2009, 01:53 PM
With regards to "fluting" it does increase rigidity of barrel VS a thin barrel alone. So for the WEIGHT savings (vs bull barrel) it is more rigid then pencil barrel. (Plus you get cool looking cooling fins.) :) :)

Regards the mod 10 bored out to .357mag. Why was ATF/Police called??? I recall a gun rag where they (I actually think it was Mass Ayyobe) (sp) Long before they made .357mag snub nose on K frame he had one bored out. IIRC there was a limit on ammo as too long a over all length could cause problems. And the warning of damage to frame in large number of rds.

I can buy conversion "case" to fire .22lr thru any .223/5.56 chamber. I have seen similar cases for 308 and 06 (I forget what pistol shell they fired)
I understand many of the wildcat major calibers started out with overboreing existing chambers.. In the 38 to .357 you don't thin chamber walls just take down the front ridge .

hksw
February 16, 2009, 02:24 PM
Pinaire (spelling?) Gunsmithing's ads actually state that fluting a barrel increases rigidity. As a professional engineer, I hereby call them on that lie.

Depends. Certainly, taking a tube and grinding or cutting furrows into it will weaken the structure. That is, start with the finished OD, cut grooves into it.

However, if you start off with a larger diameter and cut the grooves down to the OD above, it certainly would strengthen it. Or, (starting with the larger OD) you fluted down so that the weight (or volume if made of the same material) of the unfluted tube is identical to that of the fluted one, rigidity of the fluted on should be slightly greater.

The Benelli (non-M4) is not a simple blowback but is not too far from it. It is indeed operated by the recoil. Where it deviates is that the bolt carrier, due to it's mass, stays stationary relative to the rest of the gun for a very brief moment under recoil and keeps the action close for that time to allow pressures to drop. (Similar to other operating systems like most handguns 9mm and larger where the opening of the action is delayed very slightly somehow.) The gun must see a certain amount of recoil for the action to work correctly, though. That is why there are problems with attaching all types of do-dads to the inertia recoiled Benellis which weighs them down and dampens recoil.

eye5600
February 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
The Benelli (non-M4) is not a simple blowback but is not too far from it.

I would say there is a pretty big difference between a blowback action where gas blows thru the action and a recoil action where it does not. Besides which a shotgun is much to big to use anything called "blowback" without some other adjective.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
It looked like it lost a long fight with a weed-whacker, or was worn in a concrete holster

That's funny right there! :D

That is exactly correct. Fluting "a barrel" - taking a GIVEN barrel of X thickness and fluting THAT barrel will make it less rigid, not more rigid, than it was before the fluting. Always. (Although the "rigidity to weight ratio" may be improved). The engineer knows of what he speaks. I'm sure he also understands the completely different situation of comparing a fluted thicker barrel of Y WEIGHT with an unfluted thinner barrel barrel of Y WEIGHT, the fluted will be more rigid. But that's apples & oranges from what he said. I think y'all know that, but just clarifying.

Maverick223
February 16, 2009, 08:26 PM
that extend all the way to the butt end of the chamber...umm...for strength. :uhoh:

Plus you get cool looking cooling fins.

As an civil engineer myself, the strength to weight ratio is greater, but at the expense of strength.:D

Also most fluted barrels are on long rifles and sniper rifles...the cooling capacity of a fluted barrel is less than a bull barrel due to the lesser mass. The fluted barrel does have superior radiant efficiency, it dissipates the heat to the air more rapidly, and thereby is more practical for a automatic firearm or semi. When used in this manner it would facilitate cooling to the air for rapid fire (note rings on Thompson SMGs and cooling shrouds on Heavy MGs). A long rifle is definitely not the most practical application for this innovation. :neener:

hksw
February 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
I would say there is a pretty big difference between a blowback action where gas blows thru the action and a recoil action where it does not.

I don't think I've ever seen simples blowbacks that use small caliber relatively low pressure pistol rounds (e.g,, .22 lr, .25ACP, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, etc.) use the gas instead of the recoil to work the action. Could you provide a platform example of one?

Maverick223
February 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
Plus you get cool looking cooling fins.

If we could only make water jackets look cool. :rolleyes: Any1 want a water jacket for a Win. M70...with flutes! :neener:

ADVERTISEMENT: Uhmm...The flutes impart a greater moment of inertia to the water containment structure...to uh...better contain the cooling medium. For best results use our specially designed solution that is liquid at standard temperature & pressure and retains negligible compressibility in a liquid state. ;)

Maverick223
February 16, 2009, 11:28 PM
I can buy conversion "case" to fire .22lr thru any .223/5.56 chamber.

Larry: Where...how much...made by whom? Or was this another lie? I'd like to get one for my M17S if it'll work. I have seen em' for a M16/AR15/M4, for $$$, but nothing else. Thanks, Mav.

larry_minn
February 16, 2009, 11:44 PM
I have not seen them (IN person) for over a decade. What it looked like was a 5.56 brass made out of metal. You unscrew it about a inch (IIRC) below the shoulder. You insert a .22lr with lead toward front. The primer pocket was a rod that goes to edge of .22lr. They were $12 each in mid 90s...

JWF III
February 17, 2009, 02:02 AM
blowback action where gas blows thru the action and a recoil action

All Benellis (with possible exception to the M4, I don't know about that one) use absolutely no gas to function the action. They are 100% recoil operated, or as they call it "Inertia Driven". Shotguns (and any other platform) that use gas, in any way, function on a gas operated action.

The easiest way to see a big difference. Take 2 newer (not broken in) shotguns, 1 gas operated and 1 recoil (inertia) operated. Fire 1 oz. skeet loads from each. But when shooting the guns, do not shoulder the gun. Shoot from "the hip", and don't grasp the wrist of the buttstock with your trigger hand. A gas operated shotgun will function flawlessly, while a recoil operated shotgun will jam. The recoil operated gun requires that it be shouldered to provide some force for the recoil to push against. With the gun shouldered, The "weakest link" from the pressure pushing against the bolt face, to the ground (where recoil stops) is the action. Without the weapon being shouldered, the weakest link is the force that the gun is recoiling against.

I don't think I've ever seen simples blowbacks that use small caliber relatively low pressure pistol rounds (e.g,, .22 lr, .25ACP, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, etc.) use the gas instead of the recoil to work the action. Could you provide a platform example of one?

I'm not perfectly clear on what you're asking here. If you want gas operated firearms in those cartridges, I can't give you any. Maybe some new design? If you want blowback operated (some of these may actually be a retarded blowback); Ruger Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, Walther PP, PPK, PPK/S, P22, Glocks (yes they make a .380), Baby Brownings, Colt Pocket Pistol, Colt Woodsman, CZ 27, Jennings, Davis. With more time (and a book to help my memory), many more could be named. AFAIK every semi-auto pistol ever designed (and produced) has been a blowback action. There could be a gas operated pistol out there (not counting ARs or AKs as pistols), but I couldn't name even one. As stated elsewhere most of them use some kind of retarded blowback. Meaning that the barrel is locked in place for a split second before it unlocks to allow the slide to move rearward. (.22 lr pistols are the only ones that are not slowed in this manor.

Wyman

Maverick223
February 17, 2009, 10:01 AM
for the info.

You insert...with lead toward front

Wouldn't have it any other way. :neener:

Bill2e
February 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
Pre-Election. Big retailer had a table full of overpriced AR's

Stag (or the like) with a Green Laser on the verticle forgrip.

Nice looking package, but for $1500 I was not really interested.

Anyway he proceeds to tell me that the Laser for grip was worth $500.

I put it down and said then somebody is going to get a nice deal on a rifle, just not me.:neener:

Maverick223
February 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
There could be a gas operated pistol out there

A couple off the top of my head: Desert Eagle and Wildey, however IMHO they should be considered carbines due to their excessive size and weight.

sharkhunter2018
February 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
should be considered carbines due to their excessive size and weight.

Do what?

Add a stock and you have a carbine. But till then, they can't be and never will be considered a carbine. Hold it your hand, you shoot it...therefore they are indeed handguns.

Best lie? I had a guy try to tell me that the PSL sitting on the rack was a Dragunov. I told him he was full of **** and that the two don't even take the same mags, have a different shaped safety lever and in general really have nothing in common except their intended purpose and their looks. He didn't say anything about it after that :D.

hksw
February 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm not perfectly clear on what you're asking here. If you want gas operated firearms in those cartridges, I can't give you any. Maybe some new design? If you want blowback operated (some of these may actually be a retarded blowback); Ruger Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, Walther PP, PPK, PPK/S, P22, Glocks (yes they make a .380), Baby Brownings, Colt Pocket Pistol, Colt Woodsman, CZ 27, Jennings, Davis. With more time (and a book to help my memory), many more could be named. AFAIK every semi-auto pistol ever designed (and produced) has been a blowback action. There could be a gas operated pistol out there (not counting ARs or AKs as pistols), but I couldn't name even one. As stated elsewhere most of them use some kind of retarded blowback. Meaning that the barrel is locked in place for a split second before it unlocks to allow the slide to move rearward. (.22 lr pistols are the only ones that are not slowed in this manor.

Wyman

The question refers back to the post above it by eye5600 requesting additional information to the poster's reply,

I would say there is a pretty big difference between a blowback action where gas blows thru the action and a recoil action where it does not.

I've never seen a gas op simple blowback before. There are plenty of recoil operated simple blowbacks including the ones you listed plus many many more. (In short, I agree with your post.)

The Benelli M4 is gas op.

Jim Watson
February 17, 2009, 01:32 PM
I've never seen a gas op simple blowback before. There are plenty of recoil operated simple blowbacks including the ones you listed plus many many more.

I'm confused. I have blowback, gas operated, and recoil operated guns. Three different systems. I can't visualize a "recoil operated simple blowback." A blowback action operates as chamber pressure drives the cartridge case back against the breechface as it is driving the bullet out the barrel. Recoil not involved. Although Beretta did at one time call the Model 92 "delayed blowback" in company advertising.

HexHead
February 17, 2009, 02:04 PM
When I was buying a Colt Mustang a couple of weeks ago, after the dealer came down to $650 for it, his buddy mentions they have a standing offer of $900 from another dealer for the Mustangs.

Well then *** were you even bothering to ask $700 for them?
:banghead: :D:D:D

Maverick223
February 17, 2009, 07:40 PM
Do what?

Add a stock and you have a carbine. But till then, they can't be and never will be considered a carbine. Hold it your hand, you shoot it...therefore they are indeed handguns.

Yeah...:scrutiny:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

sharkhunter2018
February 17, 2009, 08:34 PM
Maverick - Yea, I'm aware of sarcasm. Use it quite often, but you know how trying to decipher text is.

In my defense, I had just woke up so get off me.:D

Maybe next time you're being sarcastic, you could learn to insert one of these ":rolleyes:" :neener::neener:

Maverick223
February 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
No fence, none taken... :neener:

Eagles6
February 17, 2009, 10:04 PM
Bought a Taurus .22 mag Ultralite for a female family member. Taurus .22 cal revolvers have a 12 lb DA trigger pull unlike their larger caliber brothers.
Gave it to an "expert gunsmith" friend of a friend for a trigger job, $45 he said.
Got it back and the cylinder wouldn't open with the muzzle pointed down. He said that Taurus revolvers didn't have a "firing pin return spring" and you had to keep the muzzle pointed up when opening and closing the cylinder so the firing pin wouldn't hit.
I knew this was bs but paid the now $90 bill, he said he polished this and that, etc., etc...Took off the side plate and cleared the firing pin well of metal shavings and metal dust, cleaned off and lubed the non-existent firing pin return spring, put the sideplate back on and went to the range.
Now it would only fire about 4-6 rds from the 8 shot cylinder. Called "Lenny the gunsmith" up and explained the situation. He said I must have done something to the revolver and it worked fine when he finished with it. I mentioned the "non-existent firing pin return spring" and he hung up and never answered his phone again.
After replacing all of the springs it still wouldn't fire correctly. I sent it back to Taurus with a note what had happened fully expecting to pay a hefty bill. Taurus rebuilt the revolver to factory new, reinstated the factory warranty all at no charge

hostilecrab
February 17, 2009, 10:15 PM
Overheard dealer telling this guy that Glocks are an inferior designed handgun - since there is no safety and that the gun could AD at any moment.

Then a few moments later the same dealer is telling the same guy how superior Glocks are because most law enforcement have gone to using them.

I just chuckled and walked away. What an idiot.

snakeman
February 17, 2009, 10:23 PM
i had a guy tell me laminate stocked guns are cheaper and weaker than synthetics. and one guy tell me he gets 4500 fps out of a 25-06 with 75grain b.t.

SilentArmy
February 17, 2009, 10:41 PM
I was in Cabelas with a friend this weekend helping him choose his first handgun. I stood at the counter as countless noobs handled the hardware and I listened to a couple of the sales staff give the schpeel to these people who of course didnt know any better. In this day and age you would think that Cabelas could be held civilly liable for the Bullsh*t that there employees are feeding to the customers! Amongst information so false and dangerous that I will not repeat it on this forum, I heard that "Americans are born with a natural angle in their wrists that makes the Glock grip angle seem unnnatural" as well as "The slimline Glocks are very popular in all calibers" All ONE caliber! (.45 Model 36) Wouldnt you get tired of hearing yourself repeat what you HAVE to know is Crap? If you are looking at every model Glock available in front of you and only one is single stack mag and narrow, could you deduct that? Also, Did you Know that "every person who carries concealed should have a Laser on their gun"? SOS pepole!:banghead:

shotgunjoel
February 18, 2009, 02:00 AM
JWF III, if what you say about the inertia system is true, then how done Tom Knapp and Tim Bradley can do all of this? They are shooting off the shoulder too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibBgBhwafGM

t-diddy
February 18, 2009, 05:11 AM
"ALL AR's REDUCED"...
cheapest being around $1650.
"DUE TO THE CURRENT POLITICAL CLIMATE..." we can charge $375 for 500 rounds of Federal XM-193. I know, a couple weeks ago it was only $210.

JWF III
February 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
JWF III, if what you say about the inertia system is true, then how done Tom Knapp and Tim Bradley can do all of this? They are shooting off the shoulder too

They also grip the wrist of the shotgun, and have the shotgun pushed forward in front of them. (You will notice that their forearm is closer to parallel to the stock than perpendicular.) Doing this gives enough force for the gun to recoil against.

What I'm talking about doing is hold the gun with your off hand by the forearm. To pull the trigger, put your finger in the trigger guard and do not grip the buttstock. (Similar to bump firing a rifle.)

Wyman

ljnowell
February 18, 2009, 04:46 PM
the cooling capacity of a fluted barrel is less than a bull barrel due to the lesser mass

I wouldnt think that the mass would matter as much as the surface area. I would think that a barrel with more surface area exposed would be able to cool faster than a barrel with less,

Kindrox
February 18, 2009, 05:08 PM
the cooling capacity of a fluted barrel is less than a bull barrel due to the lesser mass

It's probably true for the first couple of shots. More mass = more heat capacity at the same temp. But more surface area will mean for a given temp, it should cool quicker.

eye5600
February 18, 2009, 05:55 PM
They also grip the wrist of the shotgun, and have the shotgun pushed forward in front of them. (You will notice that their forearm is closer to parallel to the stock than perpendicular.) Doing this gives enough force for the gun to recoil against.

Not to belabor the point, but I thought it was the other way around: the Benelli "Inertia Driven" shotguns won't cycle if the butt is against a solid object, like a post.

Maverick223
February 18, 2009, 06:06 PM
I wouldnt think that the mass would matter as much as the surface area. I would think that a barrel with more surface area exposed would be able to cool faster than a barrel with less

For a repeating arm yes...for a long gun/sniper rifle no. The barrel should never need to radiate the heat quickly due to the infrequency of the shots.

It's probably true for the first couple of shots. More mass = more heat capacity at the same temp. But more surface area will mean for a given temp, it should cool quicker.

As stated in my original post... The fluted barrel does have superior radiant efficiency, it dissipates the heat to the air more rapidly, and thereby is more practical for a automatic firearm or semi. When used in this manner it would facilitate cooling to the air for rapid fire ...however if radiant cooling efficiency was paramount then barrels should be finned and aluminum plated (better radiant efficiency than copper or silver). :neener:

U.S.SFC_RET
February 18, 2009, 07:03 PM
Looking at a mauser that had seen better days. Had so much slop in the bolt action. The bolt was loose as a goose. "Oh there is nothing wrong with that". After I pointed it out to him. :rolleyes: I have seen much better mausers in my day. Worn out lugs are what they are.

Master Blaster
February 19, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have one shop that I stop in on occaision and if there is a used gun I am interested in I'll ask them what the low dollar is. The owner will always start whining how he isn't making any money on these guns and he just can't come down on the price. I know that they are probably doubling their money on used guns, so, I always find this a bit irritating.

Yep the day before they offered me 1/2 blue book value for a used gun, which is what they always do. So you know they only paid 1/2 of the sale price for any used gun in the case.

45crittergitter
March 7, 2009, 10:19 PM
Take 2 newer (not broken in) shotguns, 1 gas operated and 1 recoil (inertia) operated. Fire 1 oz. skeet loads from each. But when shooting the guns, do not shoulder the gun. Shoot from "the hip", and don't grasp the wrist of the buttstock with your trigger hand. A gas operated shotgun will function flawlessly, while a recoil operated shotgun will jam. The recoil operated gun requires that it be shouldered to provide some force for the recoil to push against. With the gun shouldered, The "weakest link" from the pressure pushing against the bolt face, to the ground (where recoil stops) is the action. Without the weapon being shouldered, the weakest link is the force that the gun is recoiling against.

That's pretty much true for most autoloading handguns (delayed recoil) and some recoil operated long guns, but is pretty much the opposite of true for the Benelli system. Those guns will not work if the gun itself cannot move rearward a bit. The Benelli system is much more reliable "from the hip" than on the shoulder with light loads. That's because the gun is free to recoil, a requirement with that system. Read your manual.

As far as the fluting for those who aren't knowledgeable, if fluting makes a barrel stiffer, then just keep on fluting it more and more, making it stiffer and stiffer, until there's no steel left, and see how stiff it became....

higene
March 10, 2009, 04:22 AM
Hah. All you guys got screwed. I got Patton's Colt SAA .45 (complete with pearl grips) for only $5,000.

Higene

:neener:

RSABear
March 10, 2009, 04:54 AM
During the 80s I was shopping for a hi-capacity 9mm Pistol, the dealer told me that shooting two consecutive 15 round magazines causes this particular make of pistol to overheat and jam. :what:

It was a Beretta 92, never got one, but still can't believe anyone can utter such nonsense.

JWF III
March 10, 2009, 08:31 AM
but is pretty much the opposite of true for the Benelli system. Those guns will not work if the gun itself cannot move rearward a bit.

Read your manual.

Been around a good many of them. And each that was tried would not function without an opposing force. Maybe everyone that I've tried this with has been a lemon. If that's the case, Benelli's are trash because I've yet to see one work as is stated in the manual. Glad I still refuse to own one.

Wyman

tinygnat219
March 10, 2009, 08:32 AM
Taurus is a quality gun.

Maverick223
March 10, 2009, 09:19 AM
Taurus is a quality gun. I always thought their revolvers were pretty good, but I'm not a revolver guy. IMHO their autos suck... :confused:

ZXD9
March 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
I was told that you never have to clean a Glock. They were made to not require any cleaning.

1911's were not made to be carried with one in the chamber. You pull it out and rack the slide on the draw stroke.

earlthegoat2
March 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
Is it just me or do I not want some of the people on this thread working at my local Benelli dealer. They would just perpetuate the title of this thread.

I really, really, hate Benelli but I do know how they work.

RebelKangaroo
March 10, 2009, 05:55 PM
I had a salesman at a local gun store tell me that I needed to slowly let the slide to return to battery on a Walther PPS instead of just punching the slide release and letting the springs take care of it "because it could damage the plastic rails."

Why wouldn't they be damaged by just firing the thing if this was the case?

zt77
March 10, 2009, 06:27 PM
+1 to the guy that said taurus was a quality revolver lol

goldie
March 10, 2009, 11:11 PM
heres a quote from a guy behind the counter while i looking at a mini 14; "you can kill a coyote at 600 yards" !...:rolleyes:

ishida
March 11, 2009, 12:27 AM
I always thought their revolvers were pretty good, but I'm not a revolver guy. IMHO their autos suck...

Odd, I haven't had a problem with their PT1911 at all, other than the trouble of cleaning out the factory grease.

anyheck
March 11, 2009, 02:16 AM
'Scandium' S&W revolver is "100% pure Scandium".

I've worked in a labs doing science with exotic metals... 99.9% purity Scandium costs about 300 U.S. dollars per _gram_ last time I checked.

Maverick223
March 11, 2009, 09:13 AM
Odd, I haven't had a problem with their PT1911 at all, other than the trouble of cleaning out the factory grease.
Haven't shot one of their 1911s, but would not be surprised if it was good. If you screw up a 1911, there are hundreds of other manufacturers that are willing to take your place. A friend of mine recently bought a Taurus 145...last weekend he took it out with some blazer brass, and was complaining of bad ammo. I noticed the soft primer strikes and placed one of the cartridges in my HK USP45...bang. Still havent had a failure of any kind out of that gun (other than failure to line up the sights properly :neener: ) :D

chuckusaret
March 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
Took my Mossberg TactiKool playtoy to a local Gunshop/Gunsmith several months ago to have the barrel ported. When I took it out of the case and placed it on the counter a salesman helping another customer, pointed to my shotgun and told his customer. "That is why there will be a assult rifle ban" or words to that effect

Maverick223
March 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
"That is why there will be a assult rifle ban"
Time for a new gunshop/gunsmith...:D

makarovnik
March 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
I see this one all the time:

Jennings 9mm stainless steel slide.

If only it were.

Gryffydd
March 11, 2009, 06:03 PM
Not exactly lies, but I've heard the following from the local Sportsmans' Warehouse:

"If you're carrying concealed and somebody sees the bottom of your holster you could get arrested for brandishing"
(OK, I guess you can get *arrested* for anything, given a dumb enough cop, but it's certainly not illegal here)

They also tried to tell me there's no such thing as a convertible Ruger Blackhawk, and that Ruger never made a 5" GP100.

FunYet
March 15, 2009, 04:35 PM
#1 - Vendor at a local show referred too a KelTec as a "mini-Glock". He claimed Glock made all of the parts and sold them to KelTec. I never was sure if he really believed it or if he was just lying.

#2 - ALL FFLs and the military are going to .40 caliber becuase 9mm and anything blow 9mm has proven totally worthless.

#3 - My favorite - A gun show vendor told me the USED Rohrbaugh 9mm he was selling for OVER $1500.00 was made of the same material as the Space Shuttle. This guy was dead serious. I couldn't stop laughing when he said it.

Hungry Seagull
March 15, 2009, 04:51 PM
ChuckUSARET, That would be time to find a new gunshop.

I have not been in a shop long enough to have heard what I think to be a lie yet. However I have heard much storytelling and .... embellishments from the Customers IN the said shops over the years.

Acera
March 15, 2009, 06:06 PM
#3 - My favorite - A gun show vendor told me the USED Rohrbaugh 9mm he was selling for OVER $1500.00 was made of the same material as the Space Shuttle. This guy was dead serious. I couldn't stop laughing when he said it.

So what is wrong with that?

The gun is constructed of stainless steel and aircraft aluminum alloy, so what is the shuttle constructed of? Probably a lot of those same materials, and many others. (You know it is not just one hunk of ceramic wonder stuff they whittled it out of, don't you?)

Not so much a lie, but pretty excessive him wanting that much for a used one. $1k seems about what most are selling for. But if someone pays that for his, he wins.

servantofinari
March 16, 2009, 01:52 AM
here it goes, I've got a Glock 7 in back i tolled him he was BSing me, he said I was right and wanted to know if i'd buy into it. Why does everyone think i'm an idiot?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 16, 2009, 02:31 AM
Jennings 9mm stainless steel slide.

If only it were.

Hmm, that's quite a conundrum, as to which is better. Is it better for a gun to jam 10,000 times consecutively before disintegrating (steel), or jam 1,000 times consecutively before disintegrating (status quo / pot metal)?? The latter would be a lot less irritating. :uhoh:

CapnMac
March 16, 2009, 02:46 AM
Let's see, my fave would be that "Universal Carbines was the fake name the CIA put on the Bay of Pigs guns..."

Or that AR-15 & AK47 use the same, completely interchangeable ammo. Or that Type 56 is a different caliber than the AK47.

Or that you had to stay away from an AKM--it's full auto you know.

Lots of bilge out there passing for potable.

cleardiddion
March 16, 2009, 05:16 AM
Here's a recent one from an email correspondance:

"I'm sorry to inform you that I cannot offer you your asking price for your LE (Lee Enfield) because it is something that I'm not really looking for plus it is something that is just not made anymore and therefore not worth as much as recently made weapons."... It goes one like that for a little bit then..."but because I feel for you I can offer you $75 in cash. Have a nice day! :))"

Just made me shake my head...

Jbabbler
March 16, 2009, 09:54 AM
I asked a seller on Gun Broker if the Steyr M40-A1 he had for sale at $550.00 was different than the one's CDNN sells for $349. She replied that that was the dealer price and that only dealers can buy from CDNN.

Sourdough
March 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
"So you got this old 38-40 Bisley colt with this short 4 1/2" barrel? Well I don't know. I guess I might be able to take it in on trade for this 4 power bushnel scope. "
I was young and dumb (50 years ago) and did it.:uhoh:

6_gunner
March 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
I might have mentioned this before, but I had a guy at a gunshow tell me that an old 1911 was stainless steel, when it was obviously a carbon steel gun which was missing nearly all of its finish.

It was actually pretty reasonably priced, but I didn't appreciate being lied to like that.

I also had one guy at a pawn shop tell me that a run-of-the-mill Arisaka was a "Japanese sniper rifle," but he might have actually thought that. I suppose that any full-sized rifle is a "sniper rifle" to some people.

PT1911
March 19, 2009, 08:32 PM
I always thought their revolvers were pretty good, but I'm not a revolver guy. IMHO their autos suck...

I have several taurus guns, all of which can shoot shot for shot as well or better than my springfields and smiths....this includes their semi-autos.

Shung
March 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
"So you got this old 38-40 Bisley colt with this short 4 1/2" barrel? Well I don't know. I guess I might be able to take it in on trade for this 4 power bushnel scope. "
I was young and dumb (50 years ago) and did it.

Wow.. this is bad. I feel for you. I hope 50years were enough to forgive.. ;)

Maverick223
March 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
I have several taurus guns, all of which can shoot shot for shot as well or better than my springfields and smiths....this includes their semi-autos.
Glad you had a good experience with em'...

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best lie you had a gun seller tell you" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!