Mossberg 930

PDA

Guero4179
January 31, 2009, 04:51 PM
Has anyone tried a 95065 heat shield on a 18.5" Mossberg 930
Basically the SPX is unavailable so I want to look into making an ersatz tactical if the 18.5" barrel can be found anywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 930" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
February 1, 2009, 01:37 AM
Just get the Field/Security combo- it comes with the 18.5" barrel, and a 28" VR barrel too (both smoothbore). I haven't seen anyone mention putting a heat shield on a 930 so far, dunno if it would fit or not. You'd have to check with the Mossberg go-to folks around here for that answer, and unfortunately I'm not a Mossberg expert (or much of any other kind either, for that matter).

IMHO heat shields are needless weight, and complications to cleaning and maintenance as well. The 930 has plenty of forearm to hold onto, since it can easily be loaded at the shoulder there's no need to turn it over for anything. And unless you're involved in turning ammo into expensive noise just for the heck of it, you aren't going to get the barrel too hot to touch. But if you're dead set on adding one, someone will come along sooner or later to tell you how. It's your money and your gun, you should get what you want.

BTW, my 930 combo literally just came in- I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet. I gave up on ever finding a 930 SPX too, and decided to 'settle' for a plain ol' 930 just to see how it runs. My dealer got it from R&R, apparently just in time because they are out of stock again too ( http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G85325 ). Still out of stock on the SPX too, I see ( http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G85360 ).

For most shooters a multi- role shotgun is a better deal, and the combo fills that bill very nicely. I usually do pumpguns, and mostly 870s, so a Mossberg semi is kind of a stretch for me, but so far so good. It's gonna take some getting used to, but that's OK, a man needs to stay flexible. One thing for sure, though- good or bad, anything you hear from me is definitely not coming from a Mossberg fanboy. I do try to be objective, how well I manage that is open to debate of course. I like good solid guns at reasonable prices, and I don't care whose name is on 'em.

I've torn my 930 down and cleaned it, put on the short barrel (naturally) and pulled off the recoil pad to check out the return spring tube in the stock. #1 strike on this design- it'll be a bear to shorten the stock, and no way can I get it short enough for my wife (who likes a 12.5" LOP) to use, far as I know. It's a shame, too, because the gun is light and well balanced enough for her to handle. The factory LOP is 14 1/4" by my tape. My wife said, "Some guns are just made for big people," and this seems to be one of them. Problem is, not everyone in the world wears a 37" sleeve like I do.

So far the gun looks good and feels good. The test will come when it starts flinging hulls. :D

hth,

lpl

paulgl26
February 1, 2009, 10:33 AM
i have a 930 tactical and love it
so far a lot of companies are working on aftermarket parts so they will be out soon
i don't need to ad anything to this gun it is perfect for me the way it is
the shield is going to make it just heavier,i do not see it useful in any way

mauiglide
February 2, 2009, 04:15 AM
Has Mossberg stop making the the 930 SPX? I've been searching for an Internet vendor that has them but all the web dealers are out of stock and for quite a while now.

rallyhound
February 3, 2009, 09:31 PM
For what it's worth. Here in Minneapolis the SPX has been in stock at every Dicks store I have been to in the last 18 months.

That is the only place I have been able to find them.

4thPointOfContact
February 3, 2009, 10:49 PM
Mossberg hasn't stopped producing the 930 SPX or any other 930 model. They're just not able to build enough to satisfy the demand.:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 930" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!