Is the author one of us?

PDA

Oleg Volk
January 16, 2003, 10:33 AM
Just got done reading Far Edge of Darkness (http://www.baen.com/library/0671877356/0671877356.htm) by Linda Evans (Copyright 1996, so probably written a year or two before). This is a basic time-travel science fiction story. Couldn't help noticing a number of details which made me wonder about the author...in a good way.

And Granny Johnson would've had that rifle, too—the one Sibyl had sold right after the funeral so it wouldn't be in the house, the one she'd never understood the need for, propped so sinisterly in her grandmother's bedroom corner next to the quilt stand.

When he smiled, Charlie repressed the instinctive urge to reach for his backup gun.

He could draw either a revolver or a semiauto pistol from concealment and dump six rounds into a playing card at fifteen feet in under three seconds.
What she needed was a machine gun, about a million spare rounds of ammo, and a working time machine.
And Charlie Flynn with a sword in his fist, even better if he had one of those ban-list, high-capacity semiautomatics the press had such a field day with (she'd learned a lot in the few years since her grandmother's death).

At another level entirely, she felt something soft and liberal and naïve die within her. And found she didn't mourn its passing.
Nobody raped Sibyl Johnson and got away with it.
It was a hard, bitter lesson, but she understood at last why Granny Johnson had proudly displayed a needlepoint sampler which read, "A woman with a gun is nobody's victim."

After the lame approach to this issue by many sci-fi writers, this type of detail is pleasant. The storyline itself isn't unique but the novel made for good reading, with well-developed characters and a bit of an intro to ancient history.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the author one of us?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris Rhines
January 16, 2003, 11:03 AM
Far Edge of Darkness was good work. I had trouble getting started with it (too many disparite storylines) but it all come together nicely at the end.

As for Linda Evans, well, here's her "About the Author" blurb from Slepnir:
Linda Evans was born on Christmas night, carrying the family tradition of first-born daughters into its third generation. Ms. Evans achieved national attention as 1991–1992 president of the North-Central Florida Sportsman's Association, the NRA's Outstanding Club in America for 1992. Ms. Evans has volunteered many hours as a firearms safety instructor, and delivered speeches at the 1991 Gun Rights Policy Conference and across the country on the subject of firearms safety and civil rights.

Ms. Evans is also a volunteer at the Florida Museum of Natural History, and an amateur jeweler. She shares living quarters with, among other sentient beings, an inherited cat named for Jack the Ripper.
I'd say that she's probably one of us. :D

- Chris

4v50 Gary
January 16, 2003, 11:22 AM
If not, she otta be.

wingnutx
January 16, 2003, 11:24 AM
Sounds like she'd make Robert Heinlein proud :)

Oleg Volk
January 16, 2003, 11:25 AM
Too bad I couldn't find any contact info...else I'd email the author.

4v50 Gary
January 16, 2003, 11:29 AM
Anybody near the FL Nat. History Museum or can somebody look up their email addy and give it to Oleg?

Oleg Volk
January 16, 2003, 11:35 AM
I think that Florida Museum is a past stomping ground. Her web site URL is also outdated.

eoR
January 16, 2003, 11:42 AM
The ebook is available free online from the publisher:
http://www.baen.com/library/levans.htm
She could probably be contacted through the publisher.

Devin

Blackhawk
January 16, 2003, 11:45 AM
Either that, or maybe the author uses "us" for research.... :neener:

Tamara
January 16, 2003, 12:33 PM
Swell. Just swell.

Another book I need to read.

"Buy this gun!", "Read this book!", "Try this knife!", "See this movie!". Hanging out at TFL/THR is so dang expensive! :eek:

Oleg Volk
January 16, 2003, 12:38 PM
Excuse me, Tam: who got me hooked on Alongside Night by J.Neil Schulman? You by the way of Kaylee.

By contrast, the book I mentioned is on-line at Baen free library.

MonkeyMan
January 16, 2003, 12:45 PM
<sigh> Well, I do need something to read. I see from the website that she's co-authored books with Robert Asprin. His series of books about Ahz (no relation:D ) kept me in stitches. Thanks Oleg.

Stay safe.

Mauserlady
January 16, 2003, 10:03 PM
Swell. Just swell.

Another book I need to read.

Bwaaaaahahahahaha... exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread this morning.

Was I smart and didn't click on the link? Noooooooooooo.... Blew a good chunk of time at work reading the first few chapters....

Boss: So what are you working on today?

Me: Getting all these trailers that *M* gave me entered into the database...

:what: :evil:

4v50 Gary
January 16, 2003, 11:24 PM
Me: Getting all the trailers that *M* gave me entered into the database.

You see! You see! That's why guns and gun talk is banned in the workplace. No productivity at all. Work grinds to a halt and everybody talks about their guns, the weekend at the range, what's new at the store and what's on the net. It has nothing to do with "workplace violence." :D

Steelharp
January 17, 2003, 12:24 AM
Oleg, I don't know. I used to work with Granny Johnson at the Nashville Palace... she was scared to death of guns. And I know Charlie Flynn... he ain't skeered o' nuttin'...

Mikey D...

George Hill
January 17, 2003, 12:25 AM
Let's see... 50 books on my iPaq right now...

*checking memory meter*

Yup... I have room for a couple more.

PAshooter
January 17, 2003, 08:38 AM
sez Tamara:

"Swell. Just swell.

"Another book I need to read.

"Buy this gun!, Read this book!, Try this knife!, See this movie!. Hanging out at TFL/THR is so dang expensive!"

It's not just hanging out at TFL that'll do this to ya. My darling wife bought me the boxed DVD set of Band of Brothers for Christmas... I told her it was an extravagant gift, to which she replied that $65 (or whatever it was) wasn't too much to spend. What she didn't realize was that what I meant was now I gotta get a Garand... :D

cordex
January 22, 2003, 03:04 PM
Just finished it.
Thought the ending was a bit anticlimactic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the author one of us?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!