Value of Thompson Contenter

PDA

SGR
February 1, 2009, 02:25 PM
I have a chance to buy a Thompson Contender in .223. It has a 2.5 power Leipold Gold scope. Don't think it's been shot more than 50 times, so it's in perfect condition. He wants $300. Don't really want to keep it, but would it be a good buy (for trading for something later)? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of Thompson Contenter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PotatoJudge
February 1, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yep, great price especially with the scope.

jbkebert
February 1, 2009, 02:42 PM
Great price I would not think twice about it. Would even consider buying it from you depending on what you will want after this purchase.

Coltdriver
February 1, 2009, 03:04 PM
The frame alone is worth about $250. The barrel is worth from $100 to $200 but that highly depends on the barrel. The stock and forearm another $50.

So $300 is a great deal unless something is broken.

DAN LESTER
February 1, 2009, 04:21 PM
Find out what T/C it is
contender,G2
or what
then look for parts
ALL THE FUN OF T/C IS INTERCHANGABILITY
I own Contender w/8 10" barrels

SGR
February 1, 2009, 04:24 PM
I appreciate the replys so far, but I'm looking for a guess at the value, either for re-sale or trade......

MatthewVanitas
February 1, 2009, 05:03 PM
So far as establishing value:

-Is it a T/C Contender, or a T/C G2 (2d Generation Contender)? The Contender has engravings on the side, the G2 looks like a scaled-down T/C Encore.

-If it's a Contender, is the serial under 195000? If so, as I understand it, compatability with later frames is suspect. I've personally had that problem with an early T/C, and from what I've seen on GunBroker early T/Cs sell for notably less because of that.

Assuming it's a pre-G2, but above 195000, and has that Leupold scope, I'm thinking $500ish based on what I see of Gunbroker and THR sales. .223 is an extremely popular barrel, so that makes it even easier to sell.

If the serial is below 195000, I'd think you'd knock about $150 off the value. It it's a G2, add maybe $50 to the value.

SGR
February 1, 2009, 05:12 PM
It's the Contender, engraving on the side, serial number 201XXX. It says Super 14, .223 Rem on the barrel.

Ky Larry
February 1, 2009, 05:18 PM
Don't be so quick to trade it if you get it. Shoot it. You'll be surprised at the level of accuracy. I have an old T/C Contender in .223, 14" bull barrel, 2X7 T/C scope. Before age and diabetes started wrecking my eye sight, I could hang with most peoples .223 rifles out to 100 yards. Good luck.

MatthewVanitas
February 1, 2009, 06:13 PM
It's the Contender, engraving on the side, serial number 201XXX. It says Super 14, .223 Rem on the barrel.

Yep, $500ish is my guess.

Though I agree with the above posters that you might want to try it out for a while. It's a very neat type of firearm, and very versatile. Also known for great accuracy.

coverpass
April 5, 2009, 06:23 AM
hey yawl,

was reading the discussion above and i happen to be in a similar place where i have an opportunity to trade for a new (never fired) PRE-g2 contender with a .357 barrel. i can't figure out the specific model cus i've only seen a picture, but it has the critter etched on the side (a give away for a pre-g2 apparently), an adjustable scope, and what looks to be a 10" barrel. anyone have an idea of the value this gun has today? what i really want is one of the new g2's, and would prefer using the gun if possible - being's it's never been fired - to use as a sort of down payment toward a new or even slightly used g2. i'll even add the picture of the gun for help. any info would be great!!!

Coltdriver
April 5, 2009, 12:33 PM
SGR if you want a Contender that is a smokin deal.

You could break it up and sell it off at 175 to 200 for the frame, 150 for the barrel and 40 for the stock. Don't know what you'd get for the scope but you can see that you have a good deal there.

Coverpass unless you want to shoot a caliber on the G2 that the Contender won't handle there is no advantage to a G2. I'd go to an Encore first for the heavier calibers anyway. As to value for an unfired unit you would probably really have to look to find someone who would put a premium value on that. Figure around 400 if you sold it. Maybe a bit more with that barrel.

jbkebert
April 5, 2009, 12:52 PM
Coverpass unless you want to shoot a caliber on the G2 that the Contender won't handle there is no advantage to a G2. I'd go to an Encore first for the heavier calibers anyway. As to value for an unfired unit you would probably really have to look to find someone who would put a premium value on that. Figure around 400 if you sold it. Maybe a bit more with that barrel.

Agreed I have not seen a huge benifit to the G2 over the contender model. I bought a original contender for $389 chambered in .35 rem with a burris fixed 4X on it. Nice gun but the encore is the cadilac but pricey. I ended up wrapping a little over a grand in my encore pistol with just one barrel. The contenders are lighter weight than the G2 and the encore and recoil will be harsh with heavy calibers. If you are shooting a .357, .44, 7mm-08, .308 just changing the grips will help. Anything beyond that I would opt for the heavier gun.

coverpass
April 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
thanks for the info! can anyone help with the value of the gun? I'm just trying to figure whether the trade I might do is gonna be worth it. thanks a lot!

Brian Williams
April 5, 2009, 06:03 PM
I would give you $350 + shipping, for it. It does not have the cool octagon barrel and it has fixed sights attached. There is a + for the octagon barrel and a + for no sights, just scope mounts.

coverpass
April 5, 2009, 11:34 PM
ok, thanks to all of you above for the handy input. seems the person trying to barter the gun to me might be living in the clouds a bit if he was thinking the gun was worth five to six-hundred. if that were the case i think i would go right for it, it's real tempting cus the gun is unfired and has many good virtues. over-and-out

PO2Hammer
April 7, 2009, 11:27 AM
The unfired Contender w/10" .357 magnum could be worth more than $400. the old Contenders are highly sought after, a minty gun like that would do well on gunbroker.

To the right buyer $500 won't seem extreme for a truly unfired, mint Contender. Go to Gunbroker.com and see how much used ones are getting these days.

coverpass
April 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
thanks for that consise response, that really helps.

chuckusaret
April 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
$300 is a great deal, I'd buy it if I were you. In my area they go for $4 to $500

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 7, 2009, 05:34 PM
Where can I find it?

Does that question answer your question?! :p

Fantastic deal without the scope, in that condition.

coverpass
April 7, 2009, 06:15 PM
there's actually a good chance this deal may fall through and if that does i would like to call on all of you for a recommended alternative. i liked the Thompson Contender because of it's known accuracy, versatility, looks, and uniqueness. but i'm fairly new to the hand gun/pistol arena, so i don't know all the reputable makers out there. can anyone suggest a pistol that competes with the Contender? any info would be awesome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Value of Thompson Contenter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!