Opinion of Daewoo - DP52 (.22lr) in particular

PDA

westtx28
February 2, 2009, 10:36 AM
I've been looking for a .22 pistol in a PPK form factor. The purpose of the gun is just pleasure plinking at cow crap and tree stumps.

A FFL buddy of mine who I usually order through happened to have several brand new Daewoo handguns from .22 through .40S&W. I was going to have him order me a Firestorm (Bersa) but he told me to take the DP52 home and put a few rounds through it. Well, the few rounds turned into a hundred and the gun performed flawlessly even with cheap bulk ammo. I keep going back and forth and I really, really want to not like this Korean gun but the fit and finish is great and it performed so well. Major issue is parts and mag availability. I don't think there is any. Not sure what to do and would appreciate any opinion on the Daewoo or other similar guns I should consider.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion of Daewoo - DP52 (.22lr) in particular" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp9
February 2, 2009, 01:54 PM
I would love to have one of those. I've only ever seen the .380acp and they appear to be of good quality.

Norinco982lover
February 2, 2009, 02:16 PM
If the gun works...keep it. Now I would NEVER buy a car made by Daewoo but that's just me...

Mad Magyar
February 2, 2009, 02:18 PM
If you can acquire one, go for it...Very rare in these parts..I've had the 9mm & .40S&W, and performed quite well. Besides the .22 & .380, Daewoo also made a .45acp in fast-action; but after searching in this country for a few years: gave up on the search...:(
Good luck on the .22....

Funderb
February 2, 2009, 02:22 PM
I hear daewoo makes a very fine firearm. NOT a prestige firearm, but one that works, and well. You said yourself, this is not a nostalgia piece, just one for plinking.

It's okay to be the guy that drives a toyota with a "proud to be american" sticker on the bumper.

westtx28
February 2, 2009, 02:49 PM
It's okay to be the guy that drives a toyota with a "proud to be american" sticker on the bumper.

It's funny you said that because I have three gas guzzling Toyotas in my garage and and two big obnoxious flags in the front, one American and one Texas!

Thanks for replying to my post.

Jason_G
February 2, 2009, 07:18 PM
If something ever breaks, what is the parts availability? A bit like hen's teeth I would guess, but I do not know for sure. I would look into it if it is to be a regular shooter though.

Jason

westtx28
February 2, 2009, 10:40 PM
The parts issue is my biggest concern. I plan on putting many thousands of rounds through it. That's why I wanted that type of .22 in the first place, cheap ammo. If it is a good quality solid built gun though it should handle it without missing a beat. Sucks about not being able to get magazines though.

tr5140
February 10, 2009, 07:40 PM
A good gunsmith with the right tools can make almost any part. The mags might be a bigger issue. Does any one know if Walther ppk .22lr mags will fit the DP52? The Dp51 (a 5906 and 6906 clone) uses smith 59 mags so I would think the same would be true for the dp52.

usp9
February 14, 2009, 02:30 PM
Well, small world. I just bought a Daewoo DP52 w/ box manual, 2 mags, in very good condition. When I get a chance to shoot I'll post again. These are not easy to find, so I'm pleased. Now I need a Walther PP to compare it.:D

usp9
February 17, 2009, 05:48 PM
Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but I thought I'd post a couple pictures. The pistol is very well made and is most impressive quality wise. It compares very well in every way with a Walther. Fit and finish is top notch. It comes with a warning not to use +P+. Is there such a thing in .22lr?

The DA trigger pull is pretty hefty, but the SA is so smooth and easy and breaks perfectly clean...much better than I expected. The magazines are substancial, not flimsy like many .22lr pistols. The safety/decocker works just the same as on the PP. In fact the two guns are so similar I expect to see a Walther banner somewhere on the gun. The finish is utilitarian, not the beautful blue of the PP but it appears perfectly applied, even, smooth and attractive.

Here it is...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/DaewooDP52001.jpg

With a Walther PP...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/DaewooDP52003.jpg

Mad Magyar
February 17, 2009, 07:05 PM
The pistol is very well made and is most impressive quality wise.
I'm extremely jealous!:D I'm getting Daewoo fever again......:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinion of Daewoo - DP52 (.22lr) in particular" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!