30-30 recoil pad

PDA

76shuvlinoff
February 2, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah I know most of you wouldn't probably need a recoil pad for a 30-30, but I am pretty sure I do . A motorcycle accident 5 years ago left my scapula looking like a spider web with two busted ribs under it and a dinked up rotator cuff. 12 ga from the shoulder?? fugettaboutit. Makes me whimper some.

I'd like to get a recoil pad for the TW 30-30 I just picked up, heck probably one for the 870 too. I don't want to cut stocks (if I don't have to) so real thick isn't gonna get it for me. I searched and see Limbsaver mentioned.

Sometimes you just need to cut loose with something more than rimfire. I'm willing to pay for comfort because comfort = more shooting. suggestions?

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "30-30 recoil pad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
February 2, 2009, 10:22 PM
limbsaver and decelerator are excellent pads, but you will probably have to cut the stock as they are going to increase your length of pull an inch - unless your factory stocks are already ill-fitting because they are too short.

_N4Z_
February 2, 2009, 10:50 PM
I put a Limbsaver on my Marlin 336 30-30.

It's a precision fit model #10102, and I like it alot. It swapped out with the factory butt plate damn near perfect. Think I had to drill one new screw hole.

Makes it a powder puff to shoot 170gr handloads in nothing more than a t-shirt on hot days at the range.

My rifles get much exercise, so minimizing the meat tenderizing of my shoulder is always a consideration. ;)

batmann
February 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
I put a Pachmayr pre-fit 'Decelerator'
pad from Cabela's on my Winchester Md 94 .30-30 and actually made the lenght of pull more comfortable for me and I do not long arms. While the .30-30 is not known as a hard kicker, but for someone with bad shoulders (me) it has become a lot of fun to shoot.

76shuvlinoff
February 3, 2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the info! I am not big fella at 5'8", I'd guess you'd say my arms are "average" but when I shoulder the rifle I feel like a little more length on the stock isn't going to hurt me. Since my spill a good punch in the shoulder talks to me all day. Probably why I have spent more time plinking with sidearms and rimfire than anything else for several years. We shall see.

Thanks again.

Rmac58
February 3, 2009, 07:15 AM
Another vote for limbsaver.

76shuvlinoff
February 3, 2009, 07:14 PM
N4Z,
when I googled that part number it came up for an 870 (which is fine I need one of those too). Would you verify that's what is on your 336? do you think it would it fit a Win 94?

_N4Z_
February 3, 2009, 08:12 PM
OK here's the scoop.

I've got the box right here in front of me which lists part number to weapon.

#10102 fits both Rem870 WingMaster and Marlin336, and several others, but not a Win94.

For a Winchester Model 94 (.44 mag) the back of the box calls for #10003. That is the only Winny lever listed on the box. The listings on the back are not complete. I'm not familiar with Winchesters so I can't really give you any informed advise past whats already here. Hope it gets you in the ball park though.

moooose102
February 3, 2009, 11:33 PM
limbsaver for me also. made a world of difference on my 300 mag, and 45/70. i would think a 30-30 with one would be like shooting a 22.

76shuvlinoff
February 4, 2009, 06:46 AM
appreciate the help guys

With this shoulder I'd be bolting 300 mags and 45-70s to a block wall.

Nhsport
February 4, 2009, 08:22 AM
It is quite surpriseing what a good recoil pad can do for comfort . Note I say good because some of the old crummy pads kicking around are about worthless. I am not sure if they were ever any good or if they got hard with age.
I have a sportized springfield (I didn't do the deed, it came that way) in the original 30-06 that had a old pad on it and it would make me see stars. A guy at my club got a grind to fit pad somewhere and tossed it because he didn't want to do the work on his gun, so I grabbed it. Wow- the difference is like night and day!
30-30s can have a surpriseing ammount of felt recoil. The light weight of the gun , hard metal or plastic butplate, and a short stock all work together to slap you silly. Takeing a couple of shots with your heavy hunting coat is not so bad . but sit down at the range bench on a nice summer day with your tee shirt with a couple boxes of ammo and your shoulder will get a workout.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2009, 08:29 AM
There are those slip-on pads that you can try to see if you really need one.

It sounds like with your shoulder prognosis/diagnosis, you most likely do need one. The slip-on one lets you decide and compare whether to actually make one permanant.

If you enjoyed reading about "30-30 recoil pad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!