Anyone use fiber optic sights for daily carry?

PDA

Hot brass
September 30, 2003, 03:37 PM
I like the idea of the fiber optic sight, but will it stay in place in a holster and not fall out? If the fiber optic will not work for everyday carry what is a better choice? This will be for a full size 1911/45.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use fiber optic sights for daily carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smoke
September 30, 2003, 03:48 PM
I know a very good shooting deputy that carries a full size Caspian with a fiber optic sight. It's her primary weapon. She loves it.

I don't know that she has ever had a problem with it. Carries in a Galco pancake style holster.

Keith
September 30, 2003, 04:49 PM
I have a fiber-optic sight on my Kimber Compact and it's just terrific! Far brighter than tritium and far cheaper!

Mine looks to be pretty secure, but I dabbed a bit of glue in there just to make sure. Worst case, if it fell out I'd just have basic iron sights. I've shot at least a thousand rounds through the gun since putting on the sights, and they haven't fallen out.

Most of these sights have a choice of colors. I've found the green to be the brightest, but you can swap them out if you prefer something else. Some of these sights give you a choice of size as well - you can stick in a fine dot for target shooting, a larger, brighter one for carry, etc.

Keith

Andrew Rothman
September 30, 2003, 05:36 PM
Got a link? Example? Picture?

Keith
September 30, 2003, 05:44 PM
Here's an example of one manufacturers sights: http://www.hivizsights.com/content/category/category_3.asp

There are a number of others - check Brownells.

Keith

bpisler
September 30, 2003, 07:33 PM
Truglo and williams firesights are a couple of others that come to mind. www.midwayusa.com carries these.

RTFM
October 1, 2003, 10:24 AM
I have a Green HiViz on the front of my Sig P229 40 for daily carry.

RTFM

XLMiguel
October 1, 2003, 05:39 PM
I've got a Brazos Lightning Rod on my full sized Kimber. [http://www.brazoscustom.com/], cost about $35-40,IIRC. It's not a carry gun, but it's in & out of a beltslide a fair amount. I use a small butane torch-style lighter to 'mushroom' the ends of the fiber rod when I change it out (they do get dirty over time), but I've never had one come loose or fall out. I can't decide which I like better (red or green), but I will tell you that it's very fast to acquire and an absolute boon to my over-50 bifocal eyes. Try it, you'll like it

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use fiber optic sights for daily carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!