Blue vs Stainless

PDA

RKellogg
February 3, 2009, 10:59 AM
Are there any real advantages to buying stainless . I know about the rusting and that kind of stuff . I am talking shooting better . Are they known for shooting better groups or anything like that .
I am look to buy a 50 cal ML Encore and was thinking if I should spend the extra for the stainless . Then I start thinking why should I , because I have to clean it after every time I shoot it anyways .
What are your thoughts .

If you enjoyed reading about "Blue vs Stainless" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maelstrom
February 3, 2009, 11:02 AM
Actually, as I understand it, the blued barrels have a reputation for shooting better. I also believe the metallurgy makes cobalt steel more resistant to wear in high friction areas such as the rifling.

Duke of Doubt
February 3, 2009, 11:03 AM
To the contrary, stainless steel tends to be softer than high carbon blued steel (this is why stainless knives rarely take or keep a good edge), and so stainless guns tend to get "shot loose" faster, hence can be less accurate. Not anywhere nearly as bad as brass-framed guns, but the same idea. There is no free lunch; otherwise all knives, guns and other steel implements would be "stainless" alloyed.

General Geoff
February 3, 2009, 11:04 AM
No reason to buy stainless other than aesthetic value and corrosion resistance.

rmfnla
February 3, 2009, 12:06 PM
I like the fact that if you scratch stainless you can clean it up with sandpaper. Makes me less likely to "baby" the gun and more willing to use (and enjoy!) it.

The Lone Haranguer
February 3, 2009, 02:04 PM
The only real advantage of stainless is the corrosion resistance. It still does not make them corrosion-proof, but they are more forgiving of weather conditions and less than timely maintenance.

MT GUNNY
February 3, 2009, 02:21 PM
One thing Ive noticed is the stainless barrels are easier to clean.

bhk
February 3, 2009, 06:17 PM
Less accurate? How come all the target and benchrest barrels are stainless?

heron
February 3, 2009, 06:28 PM
To the contrary, stainless steel tends to be softer than high carbon blued steel (this is why stainless knives rarely take or keep a good edge)That isn't really correct . . . the reason stainless knives don't take as good an edge is that stainless has a much coarser grain structure than carbon steel, although even that is only a generalization. Newer stainless alloys have better properties (but they're more expensive); go visit the knife forum. Stainless is not softer, either; I have hands-on experience of that, although in some cases it's more brittle. Try welding some and you'll see.

I don't know what alloys they use for gun barrels, but I'm sure it could make a difference.

BBQLS1
February 3, 2009, 09:57 PM
There are so many different variations of each that many of the properties overlap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blue vs Stainless" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!