TX handgun ownership legality?

PDA

cratti
February 3, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, ive been nosing around your forums for a while and finally decided to join in the fun. bear with my poor punctuation and grammar for a bit here as ive got an injured hand.
in any case, ive got a quick question for you.
i am 19 and am looking to buy a handgun from an individual -- just something to take to the indoor range, since the only long guns they allow are .22LR or smaller and shotguns loaded with 00bk or slugs (expensive!)
Will I be breaking any laws by owning a handgun, given my age? Don't plan on carrying it around, save for sticking it in the case and driving up to the range.
thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "TX handgun ownership legality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
February 3, 2009, 01:23 PM
Nope.

Folks under 21 can buy handguns from private individuals.

Have fun :)

cratti
February 3, 2009, 01:28 PM
woohoo. In that case, i know a gentleman offering a Taurus 24/7PRO DS in .40S&W for $375 NIB. Looks like I need to take a trip today.

... Then wait for my hand to heal so I can shoot the dang thing.:banghead:

In any case, thank you for your help.

rbernie
February 3, 2009, 01:31 PM
Federal law requires that you be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer, but 18 to possess one. Texas state law has an equivalent clause. This means that a 19 year old can buy a handgun via private sale in Texas. Other states may have additional laws that preclude handgun ownership under 21.

You cannot buy ammo if you're under 21, so you will have difficulty in feeding the handgun.

Many public ranges will not allow anyone under 21 to shoot a handgun unless they're accompanied by someone over 21.

NavyLCDR
February 3, 2009, 01:32 PM
Be aware, though, you'll have to buy your ammo from a private party as well, ammunition for use in a handgun can only be purchased from a dealer by 21 and over :banghead:

Never mind, got beat to it!

cratti
February 3, 2009, 01:38 PM
No worries; my roommate's 26 and besides, my range lets people 18+ rent guns as long as they've signed a release form. But then you need to use their ammo, and it gets pricey. very, very pricey.
making him buy the ammo is not a big deal, but I'm not going to flagrantly disregard the law and have HIM buy my handgun from a dealer.

In any case, I appreciate all the help, guys.

Grey_Mana
February 4, 2009, 07:34 PM
Relatedly, my home owner's insurance provides me peace-of-mind, if something stupid happens at the range that I'm responsible for.

Are you covered under your parent's policy, or do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance?

kurtmax
February 4, 2009, 07:54 PM
The selling 'handgun' ammo age restriction only applies to a licensed dealer of firearms. You don't need a license to just sell ammo. Many online retailers sell ammo pretty much regardless of age. I use AmmunitionToGo.. they seem pretty good.

Also there is no specific definition of 'handgun ammo'. Pretty much all ammo is chambered in rifles AND handguns. If you go to wal-mart they will most likely ask if it's for a handgun or rifle. It's not illegal to lie to the clerk or to buy the ammo through lies....

NavyLCDR
February 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
It's not illegal to lie to the clerk or to buy the ammo through lies....

Really? Looks pretty illegal to me.

18 USC 922:
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;

kurtmax
February 5, 2009, 12:29 PM
Notice that I wasn't talking about a licensed dealer, and when I was under 21 I did own rifles in the same caliber as my handguns.

NavyLCDR
February 5, 2009, 12:42 PM
Notice that I wasn't talking about a licensed dealer, and when I was under 21 I did own rifles in the same caliber as my handguns.

Interesting, it sure looked like in your post you were talking about buying from dealers (do private party sellers have clerks?):

If you go to wal-mart they will most likely ask if it's for a handgun or rifle. It's not illegal to lie to the clerk or to buy the ammo through lies....

Additionally, there would be no reason to lie to a private party about the purchase of the ammunition by an 18 to 20 year old.

cratti
February 6, 2009, 11:50 AM
Now, y'all are gonna hate me but I DO work at Wal-Mart. Store 535 in Abilene, TX. And i know better than to lie about the rifle/handgun thing, especially to my co-workers. I like to play by the rules, if only for the sake of saving my own butt.

NavyLCDR
February 6, 2009, 01:21 PM
Now, y'all are gonna hate me but I DO work at Wal-Mart.

Two things. As long as you are the Wal-Mart employee who actually likes the fact that I open carry in the store and either doesn't hassle me about it or makes good conversation about it, you're good to go with me!

Second, where do the US red/green maps for long gun sales at Wal Mart come from? Can you get them for other states?

cratti
February 7, 2009, 01:31 AM
Erhhh. dunno that question about the red/green map thing, i can take a close look at it tomorrow and maybe i'll be able to tell ya something.
And... at least here in Texas, they don't allow open carry unless you're law enforcement. Personally, i've had too many bad brushes with customers to calmly accept it. (but i suppose those are stories for other threads) if you posed no threat, i'd be okay after the initial fit of paranoia.

WardenWolf
February 7, 2009, 01:34 AM
Of course, you can also treat yourself to a nice .357 lever gun and truthfully say, "It's for a carbine". Then mix and match.

cratti
February 7, 2009, 03:03 AM
Problem: Already bought a .40 caliber auto.
Like I said, my roommate generally supplies the ammo, in exchange I typically teach him things about guns.
When I'm not shooting at the range I'm generally out shooting with co-workers. And typically, I offer to pay for a box of whatever just for letting me come over, and we'll hit the store together (thank goodness for the 10% employee discount...)

Dokkalfar
February 7, 2009, 02:46 PM
And... at least here in Texas, they don't allow open carry unless you're law enforcement.

Texas doesnt allow open carry of a handgun. It must be concealed, and kept that way. If you bend over and someone sees the firearm, that is not illegal. it is illegal if you half-reveal it on purpose though.

NavyLCDR
February 9, 2009, 10:25 AM
And... at least here in Texas, they don't allow open carry unless you're law enforcement. Personally, i've had too many bad brushes with customers to calmly accept it. (but i suppose those are stories for other threads) if you posed no threat, i'd be okay after the initial fit of paranoia.

But in WA, open carry is perfectly legal for everyone, with no permit required. It's really funny, that in Oak Harbor at least, the only "customers" who have been nervous seing a person open carrying are Wal Mart customers. K-Mart, multiple grocery stores, hardware store, all the auto parts store, Home Depot, Blockbuster Video, two Starbucks, the public library - none of those places have "customers" that feel nervous. This is observation based on the fact that Wal-Mart is the only place a manager has asked me to conceal my firearm - a very discreet PT-145 carried in a tight fitting Uncle Mike's holster with a retention strap - and the Wal Mart manage stated it was because the "customers" were feeling nervous.

Oh well - Wal-Mart is a unique place....

Cyborg
February 9, 2009, 10:55 AM
NavyLT
I think you are missing the point of cratti's post. You said As long as you are the Wal-Mart employee who actually likes the fact that I open carry in the store and either doesn't hassle me about it or makes good conversation about it, you're good to go with me!
I can see where he might not be happy if he has had bad experiences in the past. It doesn't mean that if Texas DOES repeal the parts of the Penal Code that characterize openly carrying a handgun as an offense he will not serve you. I figure he will.

But right now, unless you are a Peace Officer under the definition in the Code Of Criminal Procedure and licensed by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Education (T-close in common parlance) openly carrying a handgun or having it in plain view in your vehicle is a misdemeanor of the highest level and carrys a maximum penalty of a year in county lockup, $1,000 fine or both. If you openly carry "on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages (licenses are issued for the sale of hard liquor, permits for beer - Cyborg)" you could get 2 - 10 in the state penitentiary system, $10K fine or both.

Be careful young man, if you move to Texas. We don't have a lot of gun control laws but in some jurisdictions what we have is "vigorously" enforced to say the least.

Note also that to date I can find no evidence that any bill to repeal the relevant sections of the TPC has actually been submitted.

Cy

If you enjoyed reading about "TX handgun ownership legality?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!