I Want My Mag Disconnect Off!

PDA

Ben86
February 3, 2009, 05:29 PM
So I accidently bought an S&W M&P9c with a magazine disconnect for my wife. I didn't even think about it. Of course they wouldn't take it back. I can't seem to find a gunsmith that will take it off. Even if I sign a legal waiver of his liability. Lately I believe it might be stopping the sear disconnect lever from going all the way up like its supposed to when you insert a magazine. Does anyone know of a gun smith that will take it off?

If you enjoyed reading about "I Want My Mag Disconnect Off!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
February 3, 2009, 06:05 PM
Burwell Gunsmithing - how to remove mag disconnect (http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm)

Bezoar
February 3, 2009, 08:56 PM
dont you love a feature that can keep you from using your gun to save the slow crawling aurstrailian baby from the malnurished australian dingo?

Ben86
February 4, 2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks Haranguer, if I can find a new spring and work up the courage I'll try that. :)

I equate the mag disconnect to those automatic seatbelts. I mean you should always check the chamber before dry firing. And if you are close enough to your assailant to push the tiny mag release button you might as well disarm him instead.

rscalzo
February 4, 2009, 03:12 PM
We had them on our 2nd and 3rd. generation S&W autos. Well over 150 handguns and never had a problen with that feature. Of course it was a different design.

If modified and later sold I would document that it was removed for liability purposes.

CountGlockula
February 4, 2009, 03:20 PM
If you're honestly not happy with it, sell it and get one without the mag disconnect.

Ben86
February 5, 2009, 05:40 PM
I never considered the legal liability of removing it if for some reason I want to sell it in the future. Hmm..

GRIZ22
February 5, 2009, 06:09 PM
I never considered the legal liability of removing it if for some reason I want to sell it in the future. Hmm

There is also the consideration if you ever have to use the gun in a SD situation or if you lend the gun to someone and they accidently shoot someone and a civil suit afterward. The plantiff's attorney would most assuredly bring up the fact you removed a factory installed safety device even if it had nothing to do with the shooting. Could this be defended? Certainly, but why expose yourself to the possibility in any case?

Ben86
February 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
Can the magazine disconnect be damaged from dry firing without a magazine in the gun? I've heard this can happen with rugers. I've been doing this a lot, maybe I should stop.

Snarlingiron
February 17, 2009, 01:32 PM
If it were mine, I would have removed it long ago. Chances are about 1 in a million that either you or your wife will ever have to use it in a self defense situation.

The idea that an attorney will bring it up is little deterrent. They are going to bring up everything anyway whether it has relevance or not. Your sex life, your relationship with your kids, your potty training, your ammunition, your disregard for human life, your disregard for animal life, your disregard for plant life, etc.

If, however, you manage to get yourself killed because you have dropped a magazine to reload, and can't fire the round that is in the chamber, well you are dead then aren't you?

If you are fearful of removing it, then as CountGlockula said, get rid of it and get something without that "feature".

HisSoldier
February 17, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure about that model, but when I remove a worthless stupid mag safety I save the parts so the next owner can have it if they are a moron. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "I Want My Mag Disconnect Off!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!