I just got a call from my bank...

PDA

SIGarmed
January 16, 2003, 12:12 PM
They just wanted to make sure it was me making a purchase with my check card at the "L.A. Guns" store. Funny thing is I've made bigger purchases on other stuff. Its nice to know they care. :rolleyes:
I'm using cash next time.

If you enjoyed reading about "I just got a call from my bank..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ebbtide
January 16, 2003, 12:14 PM
My cerit card company called after my last gun purchase and asked the same thing.

That is good looking out :rolleyes:

45R
January 16, 2003, 12:26 PM
I have charged several pistols. My credit card company has never even blinked an eye. (MBNA)

I charged a Fender Telecaster............the transaction would not go through until a rep was able to talk to me on the phone. Whats up that that!!!!:what:

Neal Bloom
January 16, 2003, 12:35 PM
Does this have something to do with the Patriot Act and banks? Will banks be required to inform the govt. of any gun purchases just like they do with cash transactions over $10K?

I'll put my tinfoil hat back on.

Mike Irwin
January 16, 2003, 12:46 PM
Some card issuers place "watches" on certain purchases, ones that are apparently most likely to be made by someone who has stolen your card.

Firearms and stereo equipment are on some card watchs, expensive clothing on others.

One card I had for awhile wouldn't allow internet purchases until I called an authorized them specifically. That one was quite annoying, but I can understand how it could help cut down on fraud.

Mr. Chitlin
January 16, 2003, 03:12 PM
My wife and I were in Cancun a while back, and when we tried to purchase jewelry at a silver store, the purchase would not go through. We had to call the 800 number and give them the personal password so that they would let the transaction go through. They were just making sure that no fraud was being committed. It was kind of an annoyance at first, but when I realized that they were protecting them and me, it was OK.

41 Redhawk
January 16, 2003, 03:34 PM
They also look for purchases outside your normal buying habits. An example would be someone who never travel's credit card being used across the country. It is simply an effort to reduce fraud.

10-Ring
January 16, 2003, 03:47 PM
I guess I've been lucky (so far, knock on wood :scrutiny: ). My CC company has let my gun purchases go....but then again, guns are about all I charge. :evil:

Blackhawk
January 16, 2003, 03:52 PM
One morning, I got a call from one of my card companies asking if I'd authorized a laundry list of purchases I'd never heard about including a $1,000 cash transfer. "No, to all of them, but how did you know?" They have a computer program watching all the accounts for "unusual" activity.

Smart business practice, since they absorb the losses, not the card holders.

Can't say as I mind.... If I want privacy, cash is the way to go, even though it's not completely private either.

bogie
January 16, 2003, 03:54 PM
I've been "shut down" on a trip before - seems that if you make too many gasoline purchases (the pumps can't determine ID) in too short a time, that's flagged.

4v50 Gary
January 16, 2003, 04:16 PM
Whoever watches over me knows I buy a lot of books & ammo. If something like an electronic good (stereo, TV, speakers) shows up, I hope they red flag it and call me.

RustyHammer
January 16, 2003, 04:21 PM
Yup .. those guys are almost as good as my wife at checking my credit card purchases. Shesh ...

Citadel99
January 16, 2003, 04:37 PM
I used to work in the credit card business. There's not "anybody" looking at your purchases. As mentioned, it's merely a computer program that looks for changes from your normal purchasing habits. This can include large purchases and purchases out of state. FWIW, a similar system watches over the stores as well to make sure they aren't moving money as low interest loans (factoring).

If you're making a large purchase like a Barrett it's best to call your customer service and let them know it's coming through. I think they even mention it at Dells site when you buy a computer.

It's not a conspiracy, just the credit card company trying to cover their backside from fraud as well as yours.

Mark

Capital Punishment
January 16, 2003, 04:39 PM
One more reason i pay in cash.

Airwolf
January 16, 2003, 04:43 PM
Hmm. Went to the gun store last week. Wrote a check for the purchase. They use one of those scan and debit type machines. Came back and said denied. Hmmm... had plenty in the account to cover (just checked and even put in a bit more via the Credit Uniion website).

The sales guy, after calling, entering all my information TWICE via the telephone keypad, getting an operator, giving her the info AGAIN, he got an approval code.

Last time I did the same thing (couple of months ago) it went right through.

Paranoid? Nah, not me.

Ledbetter
January 16, 2003, 04:47 PM
Only time I can remember them having to call the card in and the operator wanted to talk to me to verify that I wasn't just some guy on a long joyride.

SIGarmed
January 16, 2003, 07:13 PM
Well the amount wasn't that large. No Barret or anything like that.
I've bought from the same place before with no problem. Who knows?

Sisco
January 16, 2003, 07:28 PM
A couple of years ago someone lifted my wifes debit card from her purse she left in a restruant.
When we got home a few days later, found several messages from Visa inquiring about unusual spending habits.
Jerk that took the card spent a little over $6,000 in three days. Sure makes it hard to balance your check book when they do that. :fire:

Hawk
January 16, 2003, 08:03 PM
My credit card bank has never made a peep even with several firearms related purchases in a single day.

...course it is the Fleet issued card that the NRA is pushing, with NRA plastered all over the (admittedly good looking) front of it.

Brian Maffei
January 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
I assume it has to do with purchases 'out of the norm', as Redhawk says. I buy firearms with cash, never use my credit card for things over $100 dollars....but one time I made a rather large auto parts purchase and got a call from the bank confirming it was me.

ed dixon
January 16, 2003, 09:24 PM
Well, whether they called or not, of course they would have still known the purchase had been made. The call was a security measure, nothing more. Last year my mother got the same kind of call, which proved to be the tipoff that two of her credit cards had been lifted from her purse when she was getting some tests done in a hospital. Scum was even recorded using the cards in a Home Depot but camera was so far away no good i.d. could be made. I'd relax a little on this one. Remember, they already knew. They always know and they're always watching, so...relax.:uhoh:

larry_minn
January 17, 2003, 01:09 AM
I just called my former credit card company "Amoco Visa" and he said I had to give my code. I couldn't think of it so made a guess. He had pity on me and gave me a hint. Two letters and three numbers. I got it on first try. :) I then made sure the account was cancelled. :) They charged me $29 late fee on two occasions where I KNOW I sent it in plenty of time. Over 15yrs with amoco and almost 10 with their Visa. I had the numbers memorized. Now to learn new ones.

80fl
January 17, 2003, 06:13 AM
I assume it has to do with purchases 'out of the norm', as Redhawk says.

I travel 5-6 times per year across the country. One card I have, invariably shuts down on the motel and fuel purchases, even though the only time I use the card is for motel and fuel purchases.

Twice I have spoken to the rep, stating that I travel allot, and I only use this card explicitly for travel.

Finally, they got it through their thick skulls that it is normal behavior and they no longer shut it down.

If you enjoyed reading about "I just got a call from my bank..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!