Need advice on meeting someone "half way" for a FTF deal

PDA

Anna's Dad
February 4, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a gun that I've been looking for, from someone who is a couple hours away from me. I don't know him, he just responded to an ad.

He offered to meet me half way which I think is great. My question is where do we meet? When I meet locally, I pick a gun range. Well lit, busy, no one freaks out when they see a gun.

He wants to meet near an interstate exit to avoid driving miles off the beaten path (which seems reasonable) so I don't think a range is an option.

What do you think about meeting in some other public place like a shopping center parking lot. Would you be concerned either about safety or someone passing by possibly seeing a gun and freaking out?

I'd appreciate advice, especially from others who have done something similar.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on meeting someone "half way" for a FTF deal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rklessdriver
February 4, 2009, 03:52 PM
I've used parking lots before. Wal-Marts, K-Marts, Kroger, Food Lion's, Even a County fair ground parking lot next to the National Guard Armory... To me it's just not that big of a deal. Your not doing anything illegal. He has ligitimate legal goods to sell and you want to buy it. Just try to be accomodating to one another and pick somewhere your both comfortable with.

As long as your not playing sniper, sighting the weapon at everything in the parking lot, most other people won't even know what's going on. That's the good thing about most Americans these days, we are blatently self absorbed.
Will

hso
February 4, 2009, 03:54 PM
When I meet locally, I pick a gun range. Well lit, busy, no one freaks out when they see a gun.

Great idea.

He wants to meet near an interstate exit to avoid driving miles off the beaten path (which seems reasonable) so I don't think a range is an option.

NO

Find a range or gunshop between the two of you and meet there. Tell him that it is best for the safety of each of you. In an area where there are plenty of witnesses neither you or he are likely to face a hijacking/robber and at a place where guns are common you're not likely to have the cops called by a well meaning third party.

If he isn't willing to do that, don't go.

mbpautz762
February 4, 2009, 03:55 PM
really, anywhere that's well lit will do. I'm assuming this isn't across state lines. anyway, I met someone face to face in the parking lot of a sporting goods store before. they seem to work very well. any gun store of course will work, but really any large parking lot that's lit well will be ok as long as you're not brandishing or waving anythng around.

Spyvie
February 4, 2009, 04:00 PM
I bought an SKS FTF from a THR member, we agreed to meet half way in a Taco Bell parking lot. When he arrived in broad daylight , he casually stepped out of his truck with the uncased rifle in hand. We proceeded to examine the gun, with him working the action and removing the bolt to show me how clean it was. It looked good to me, I paid the man, put the rifle in the trunk of my car and drove away no problem.

All of this happened right in front of TB customers and passing traffic in a suburban Denver area neighborhood.

NavyLCDR
February 4, 2009, 04:02 PM
Before the divorce, I just used to have my wife cover me from the car with her piece when making a deal. If you can, I would take a ride along, I've done transactions in McDonald's and Wal Mart parking lots just off the interstate before. Funny how Wal Mart always come up, isn't it!

CRDNLPLT
February 4, 2009, 04:04 PM
I met at a Hooters last FTF I did.

Gunfighter123
February 4, 2009, 04:08 PM
A gun or major sporting good/fishing store is my first choice.

But then again -- CRDNLPLT has a very good idea !!!!!!!!!!!

ny32182
February 4, 2009, 04:15 PM
Are you expecting this to go down like some tactical espionage action out of Miami Vice or something? I don't see the big deal. What "safety concern" exists? You aren't doing anything illegal. I'd have no problem with meeting in the back of a Walmart parking lot.

I wouldn't be waving the gun around for all to see, but that is simply because others in the parking lot may then be inclined to make a "man with a gun" 911 call.

The bonus to the Walmart parking lot is that if your wife needs to provide sniper coverage, she can do it from the Walmart roof.:rolleyes:

alaskanativeson
February 4, 2009, 04:20 PM
***BIG FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS JUST WENT OFF IN MY HEAD***

I understand the desire for convenience. I have very little trust in the public at large these days though, and any transaction regarding a firearm has the potential to be a setup. Large amounts of money invloved, weapons being exchanged, there's just too much liability. If it's done in a very public place where there is plenty of other activity I'd be less concerned, but near an exit of an interstate? That just has "News Headlines" written all over it to me.

Anna's Dad
February 4, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hooters does have great customer service. Maybe I'll look for one!

ny32182: No, not at all. Just don't know the seller from Adam. It does concern me a little meeting someone I don't know in a parking lot who knows I'll be carrying a decent amount of cash. I'm not concerned about going to jail. I'm cocnerned about my safety and any hassle from (as hso put it) a well-meaning third party.

I have found that there are Wal-Marts, Home Depots, etc. near the interstate. I think I'll go with one of those. It will be daylight and I would expect those places would be pretty well traveled.

Thanks much for the suggestions.

WOPR
February 4, 2009, 04:25 PM
i've done multiple FTF transactions here in FL, and all have gone smoothly - none at a gun range.

your thinking is spot on, preferring a range, but as you've found out, its just not always feasible. Just pick somewhere well lit and populated, and don't wave it around. those before me are right that no one will be looking twice at two people talking in a parking lot.

if its a handgun, I ask the owner if they mind if I inspect it from the privacy of mine/their vehicle, that way no passers by are the wiser. and if its the seller themselves that worry, well, bring a friend, or two.

also, its highly unlikely that any gun store is interested in the legal liabilities of having third parties transfer weapons on/in their store/premises. I would not suggest attempting to conduct your business inside of someone else's.

ny32182
February 4, 2009, 04:26 PM
Would you be asking these same questions about meeting someone to buy a TV or sofa?

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 4, 2009, 04:27 PM
The bonus to the Walmart parking lot is that if your wife needs to provide sniper coverage, she can do it from the Walmart roof.

Now that gave me a chuckle!

I agree with others. If everything is above board and LEGAL, do it anywhere, just don't be aiming the gun all over the place and sweeping thousands of people with it at the rock concert parking lot.:eek:

expvideo
February 4, 2009, 04:28 PM
***BIG FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS JUST WENT OFF IN MY HEAD***

I understand the desire for convenience. I have very little trust in the public at large these days though, and any transaction regarding a firearm has the potential to be a setup. Large amounts of money invloved, weapons being exchanged, there's just too much liability. If it's done in a very public place where there is plenty of other activity I'd be less concerned, but near an exit of an interstate? That just has "News Headlines" written all over it to me.
+1

Heed our advice, do NOT meet this guy at a freeway exit. If a range is completely out of the question, at least find a well lit and public area like a supermarket parking lot.

Pack. Don't think about it, just pack. If you're not licensed to conceal, then open carry. Do NOT go to this meeting unarmed.

It's probably not a setup for a robbery. But it is very possible that it is. People get robbed like this all... the... time. Really. Just be cautious and enjoy your paperwork-free transaction.

eta, if it is at all possible, bring someone with you that also is packing. Make sure that if the other person brings a friend, that they aren't trying to box you in. Also be sure that you and your friend aren't boxing the other person in. Be polite and friendly, and everything will go great. But be prepared in case it doesn't.

Anna's Dad
February 4, 2009, 04:28 PM
ny32182: Yes, if it was someone that I was not familar with, significant money was involved and the meeting place was unfamiliar to me I would ask the exact same questions.

Anna's Dad
February 4, 2009, 04:30 PM
expvideo: I always carry which reduces my concern but certainly doesn't eliminate it!

Thank you, though, for the suggestion.

ny32182
February 4, 2009, 04:34 PM
AD, It sounds like you are being reasonable about it; I'm just chuckling at some of the other replies here.

For the record, if you think you are going to get robbed, you should probably not be considering the sale in the first place.

If I were driving an hour+ to sell or buy a gun, and the guy didn't want to meet near the freeway, he wouldn't have to worry about it since I wouldn't be going anyway. I'd simply find a less paranoid individual to deal with.

expvideo
February 4, 2009, 04:35 PM
I added this to my post:
eta, if it is at all possible, bring someone with you that also is packing. Make sure that if the other person brings a friend, that they aren't trying to box you in. Also be sure that you and your friend aren't boxing the other person in. Be polite and friendly, and everything will go great. But be prepared in case it doesn't.
Just don't want you to miss this part because it's important.

35Rem
February 4, 2009, 05:06 PM
I met at a Hooters last FTF I did.
Sounds like a good place to meet in the middle.

I would make sure it's a busy place. Why not at a police station/sherrif's office parking lot?

rcmodel
February 4, 2009, 05:26 PM
What "safety concern" exists?You must not ever watch the 5:00 news, or else live in a far safer part of the country then kansas.

I can recall at least two FTF car sales from newspaper adds in the K.C. area in the last few years that ended with the buyer shot & robbed of his car money.

Same thing happened to a kid who sold an I-Phone on Cragslists & went to make a FTF just about a month ago.

rc

Grassman
February 4, 2009, 05:29 PM
I recently sold a Winchester 30/30 FTF, and we met at a local gas station. Who drives up when we do, a Texas Highway Patrol officer. We were not doing anything wrong, but we both acted like we were, as not to draw any attention to us. It was weird.

Anna's Dad
February 4, 2009, 05:47 PM
I'm not truly expecting to have a problem. I've had many other local deals on my terms and all went smoothly and as expected.

I believe I'm prepared to go forward.

Unfortunately, I don't have any gunny friends in the area so it will be just me.

I'm sure everything will be OK. Just wanted to hear other opinions. I guess if every one of you had said "what are you nuts" I probably would have backed out. I am relieved that many of you have had similar meetings that were successful.

If it were under a bridge at night I wouldn't be going forward with it. In what will likely be a busy parking lot in broad daylight, however, I suspect all will be fine.

Thanks again to all. I really didn't expect this much feedback!

theken206
February 4, 2009, 05:51 PM
parking lot of a sporting goods store/gun store

rcmodel
February 4, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think you can tell an awful lot about the character of the seller by talking to him on the phone to arrange the meeting.
At least that has been my experience so far.

Still, in todays world, it pays to keep both eyes open!

rc

solareclipse
February 4, 2009, 06:01 PM
Meet him in an area YOU know well.

Doesnt matter if its near and exit or out in the middle of nowhere. If you know the place you can determine if its good enough or not.

Ignore all the nonsense about near an exist and all that; paranoia. If you know the location, you determine for yourself if its good. If not, you move it to a place you know.

hso
February 4, 2009, 06:02 PM
Would you be asking these same questions about meeting someone to buy a TV or sofa?

The sofa, no, but something portable and valuable you should be. You should ask yourself how you can make sure that your safety is taken care of. While the odds are low the results of finding yourself in the middle of a theft in such a situation are unacceptable. Meet during the day in a well populated area after verifying the name and address of the folks you're meeting. If you go to someone's house you're probably dealing with a safer situation than at a removed location with nothing to link them to the transaction. No need to be paranoid, but proper caution should be exercised.

JH225
February 4, 2009, 06:20 PM
Crowded parking lot, in the daytime, bring a co-rider, both are armed.

Have HIM call you on your cell phone and tell you exactly where he is in the parking lot. You can then drive over there, write his plate number down when you get there. Both you and your rider get out for the meet.

Ask for ID from the seller.

If he balks, get back in your car and drive away. If he is legit, he should have no problems with any of that.

If it is good to go, do the transaction and you part ways. No big deal.

Macmac
February 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
Things are so impersonal these days.. Why not meet in a coffee shop and buy the guy a coffee, talk a bit and then sit in his car or yours.

All anyone will see is 2 guys getting in the same car after having a cup of coffee. happens all the time, then do the deal.

tkaction
February 4, 2009, 06:47 PM
U dont have any friends to go along! They dont have to shoot anybody.

Larry Ashcraft
February 4, 2009, 07:15 PM
I think you can tell an awful lot about the character of the seller by talking to him on the phone to arrange the meeting.
That's a very important point. I've done two FTF deals with THR members from up north, one from Cheyenne and the other from Denver, and I pretty much trusted them after a couple of phone calls.

The first I met at a (closed) tire store off of 120th Street in Northglenn, right next to a busy Denny's on a Sunday morning. Young couple, who had a kid with them. A very nice transaction. The scariest part of that one was driving back across Denver with a rifle and 7000+ rounds of ammo in the trunk. :uhoh:

The second one, I met in north Colorado Springs on a Sunday morning. I found a Home Depot with a nice high parking lot where I could watch all the coming and going traffic. I called him and told him where I was and what I was driving, he told me where he was and what he was driving. Sold the nice young man an SKS and a crate of ammo at a very good price, and we both went home happy.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but after almost 40 years in retail, I can read people pretty well, even over the phone.

rich636
February 4, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have always met in a gun range parking lot. The two ranges I've exchanged at won't let you do the exchange inside for legal liability reasons I suppose.

John828
February 4, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hooters does have great customer service.

Yes they do, and they also have great chicken wings--kind of like Buffalo Wild Wings without all the diversity. Or WingMasters on Broadway in Nord Minneapolis without all the ghetto trash loitering on the corners (and all the crack baggies inside my fence.)

Anyway, I think you can tell an awful lot about the character of the seller by talking to him on the phone to arrange the meeting... sounds vaguely familiar. My ftf experience here in the great state of Arkansas has been perfect. What is said on the phone occurs where the rubber meets the road. While a partner needs not to perform back-up duty, I have felt quite comfortable no matter where the meet and greet happens to occur. Situational awareness begins prior to the situation. I wrote that without beating my chest btw. It's just using your noggin.

ZombiesAhead
February 4, 2009, 10:59 PM
Why is a gun so much different from any other item you're selling FTF through someone you met on the internet?

Check their ID, make sure they are a resident of your home state and meet wherever you like. Don't do anything stupid (brandishing, loading any non-carry guns) and feel out your buyer.

If I have to meet halfway, we just meet in a well-traveled parking lot off the highway. No reason to make this more difficult than it has to be.

X-Rap
February 4, 2009, 11:14 PM
Bad things happen to people who don't pay attention.
Go with a friend, get lic. plt. # , meet on your terms.

Lone_Gunman
February 4, 2009, 11:17 PM
The last couple of times I sold guns, I met buyers in a McDonalds parking at --- God forbid --- an interstate exit. I actually survived the encounter. The guy was really scary... he had a 2 year old with him.

I always carry a gun when I meet to do a deal, and I always presume the other person to be armed as well.

I have never had a problem. I don't think meeting in a parking lot of a store on the Interstate is a bad idea, but would do it in the daytime, at a busy time.

leadcounsel
February 4, 2009, 11:22 PM
There are a lot of variables involved.

If this guy is a seemingly legit seller (a long time history of selling on Glocktalk, for instance), and you can see positive feedback, etc. and he's willing to drive a couple hours, it's likely a perfectly legit transaction.

I would still be hesitant to buy at an interestate exit though. I would at least pick a busy place like others have stated. The disadvantage of a gas station, McDonalds, Walmart, etc. is that you may not feel comfortable really taking the time to examine the gun, work the action, etc. I know b/c I've purchased at the above locations. I was at ease in some of them, and not at ease in others.

I like the idea of a gun store lot or a sporting goods store lot.

Also, bring a friend and pack a gun yourself if possible.

pgeleven
February 4, 2009, 11:30 PM
i would pick the parking lot of a gunshop, or a place widely reputed to sell firearms (i.e. outdoor world, cabelas, gander mtn, bass pro shop, etc...) or more preferably a smaller local name shop. this way you wont arouse suspicion witha firearm in your hand or inspecting it.

plus having witnesses or CCTV in the area is a bonus in case its one of the .0001% chances where the guy is just trying to pop you for your wallet and truck. im sure you can find something suitable in the middle even if one of you has to drive 30 minutes longer than the other

and i also would not make the travel alone

Claude Clay
February 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
+1 on gut feelings

as you walk to him/them be 'talking' on your cell but actually taking a couple pictures--him & license plate

have someone with you even if-:eek:-its a girl. he wont know her capabilities or if she is armed and she is a witness.....

being honest, he also has qualms i bet.

arrange to greet and shake hands between your vehicles which i would park a couple of spaces apart. perhaps flip a coin to decide which vehicle to conduct the transaction in.

and i bet all this posturing will be for nothing. but careful can be its own reward.
good luck & let us know how it goes.
by the way--what is it that he has??

John828
February 5, 2009, 12:11 AM
Resolution:

I resolve, to write my congress critter tomorrow with a copy of this thread as to why gun control is as unnecesary as a screen door on a submarine.

Most of you should do the same.

ReadyontheRight
February 5, 2009, 12:29 AM
Meet in the parking lot of a major retailer like Target, Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, Cabelas, etc. They have video surveillance.

Also - before you meet, ask him for some references - like here on THR or eBay.

Get his phone number and e-mail (assumably part of the communication process).

If you have all this, he's gone to a lot of work for a couple hundred bucks.

If any of it feels wrong, there's always another deal.

ReadyontheRight
February 5, 2009, 12:51 AM
Oh - and keep the guns cased until you are sitting in one of your cars.

As far as meeting at a shooting range, I did that once to do an FFL transfer and I was not allowed to uncase the shotgun to take a look. But still not a bad meeting place if there is one handy.

I would NOT meet in a place without a bunch of people around.

As far as meeting at his house, I had some idiot somehow pick my address to meet a guy and rob him of the money he brought to buy Superbowl tickets. It happened in my backyard right under my bedroom window. Both guys disappeared when I racked the slide on my Remington 760 deer rifle and yelled "what's going on?" out the window while my wife called 911. So...people DO pretend a house is theirs when it is not.

And yes, I would think this way for any easily-portable item worth a few hundred dollars or more. Although my spidey sense kicks in when an item as easily portable, steal-able and valuable as a gun is involved.

PTK
February 5, 2009, 01:24 AM
I bought an SKS FTF from a THR member, we agreed to meet half way in a Taco Bell parking lot. When he arrived in broad daylight , he casually stepped out of his truck with the uncased rifle in hand. We proceeded to examine the gun, with him working the action and removing the bolt to show me how clean it was. It looked good to me, I paid the man, put the rifle in the trunk of my car and drove away no problem.

All of this happened right in front of TB customers and passing traffic in a suburban Denver area neighborhood.

Was that me? That sounds like me.... :D

Dookie
February 5, 2009, 04:43 AM
Would you be asking these same questions about meeting someone to buy a TV or sofa?Because it is not a TV or a sofa. Believe it or not, buying a firearm from a total stranger, alone, can be dangerous, you don't know if the gun has been unloaded, you don't know if the guy will start waving it around.

Everything has been mentioned that you should do.
Well lit public area, take a friend, take the license plate number, call him and talk to him to get an idea of his state of mind.

If it makes you nervous or it just does not feel right, bail, or offer to take it to a gunshop and have it done on the books.

Grey_Mana
February 5, 2009, 04:44 AM
Meet in Washington DC, North East. Take North Capitol up to Michigan, turn Right, go a quater mile, and use the open air drug market. Can't miss it. ;)

moooose102
February 5, 2009, 06:20 AM
if you are nervous (which apparently you are), just take someone with you. preferably, someone with a ccw. then you dont have to worry so much, and you can relax and concentrate on what is important.

Dave P
February 5, 2009, 08:33 AM
If we knew where you lived, maybe we could offer more specific info...

And don't forget, the seller doesn't know you either - what if ... never mind.

qajaq59
February 5, 2009, 10:33 AM
Bring a friend.

jgh4445
February 5, 2009, 11:01 AM
I'm just curious, how many of these FTF deals are done with either party actually verifying state of residence by looking at an ID? In my state both the buyer and seller of a handgun must reside in Alabama but I'm not required to ask for proof.

Old Dog
February 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
In every state, you can only buy/sell handguns within the state to a fellow state resident -- and the smart buyers and sellers will ask for proof.

Every FTF deal I've conducted in my state, both parties agree to show CPL and WA DL at a first meeting ... after a while, we seem to find ourselves doing repeat transactions.

Pretty much it seems that those of us up here who deal off internet forums all know each other, or have mutual acquaintances.

Still, we all usually meet at a gun shop, a range or a local park-n-ride lot (they all have security cameras up here, too).

Harold Mayo
February 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
Not likely to have any problems but you never know. If I do ftf, it's after checking them out on the forum where we met (looking for high post counts, general tone of posts, etc.), looking them up on Zabasearch and then Zillowing their address (guys who live in $1 million homes in the Midwest aren't generally anything but white collar criminals, at worst), looking at any other forums where they might be a member (the majority of folks use the same handle on different forums), and just Googling them (a name along with a company or town will generally get some sort of information on most folks) will usually handle things. Used to use subscribe to a search engine that accessed public databases to look for criminal histories, driving records, and property ownership that would also give some info.

NavyLCDR
February 5, 2009, 12:57 PM
In every state, you can only buy/sell handguns within the state to a fellow state resident -- and the smart buyers and sellers will ask for proof.

Long guns too. And it is a Federal law.

Anna's Dad
February 6, 2009, 05:00 PM
Just to "close the loop", everything went fine with the transaction.

The other fellow brought his wife along so maybe he was a little concerned too.

I was relieved that she sat quietly in the car rather than providing tactical support from a distance as had been previously suggested! ;)

Harold Mayo
February 6, 2009, 05:35 PM
You never know...their kid may have had you in the crosshairs from the top of a nearby building.

michiganfan
February 6, 2009, 07:07 PM
heck i've done a deal in a mcdonald's

evan price
February 7, 2009, 03:22 AM
LOL, I once did a three-way deal in which four guns were exchanged amongst three people plus a couple bags of brass and some primers. We did it in the parking lot of a BP gas station right off the interstate. There were several pistols and a large rifle. All were examined in broad daylight. Money changed hands, and everyone went their own way. I stopped in the BP to get a soda. The clerk rang me up and asked me if I had bought the rifle (I hadn't). He also pointed out my Open Carried SIG and asked me if I had a CCW- I said I did, and he said he wanted to get his and how did he do it? I went back out to my truck and got my Ohio AG pamphlet I carry in there and gave it to him, along with the phone number of a couple trainers in the area.

My last FTF was at a McDonalds.

As long as it is public with no obvious negatives around (Like, NOT in sight of a school, for instance) I arrive early, check the place out, and wait. Sometimes people make it more paranoid than it is.

I sell cars and stuff on the side sometimes, and I have been ambushed and attempted to be jumped. I've been around the block enough times to know when to listen to that little voice in the back of my head that starts yelling when stuff looks or sounds hinky.

TRUST that voice.

Grey_Mana
February 7, 2009, 04:37 PM

Long guns too. And it is a Federal law.

Uh, not true for Maryland.
http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gps&5-204
5–204.
(a) In this section, “adjacent state” means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.
(b) If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.
(c) If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State.

Lumpy76
February 7, 2009, 05:13 PM
Just got back from one today with a board member. Showed up early @ Home Depo, checked everything out and met a nice guy. Never had a bad experience, but I usually trade or buy from people on the boards I visit. Then you can poke through their old posts and get a feel for the guy.

sernv99
February 7, 2009, 06:11 PM
the comments about having another person provide "cover" for you, armed, is a bit over the edge. I mean if you have to have that type of security, I would quit doing any FTF transactions.

I never did a FTF but if I did, it would be at a gun range. I wouldn't do it at a public place like a Home Depot, etc. I don't know, if I saw two people handling a gun in the parking lot of a Home Depot, I would think they are up to no good, but I guess it would depend on the people involved (e.g. two old guys looking over a gun vs. two young kids handling a gun, etc.)

WVMountainBoy
February 8, 2009, 01:00 AM
Most public places are fine for a discreat transaction. While not the ideal place I've found McDonald's parking lots make for a good place as they're usually populated. Quoting another thread "You're not a criminal, don't act like it" If the weapon is transported legally and sold legally, then theres no problem. Unless you intend to set up a yard sale and show the gun to every passer-by there is little chance the average joe will notice two men talking beside their vehicles and unless you try to make it look like a Top secret exchange, then it won't look like a top secret exchange.

walker944
February 8, 2009, 08:53 AM
I did two public place trades (oops, make that 3) in the last week. One was at a Walmart parking lot, with board member Senior. The next was in a parking lot of a Pawn Shop with a guy I saw walking in to sell a long gun. It turns out the didn't offer him enough money for it, so I did. The last was this past Friday in a Whataburger parking lot.

It's all good. Just use common sense and appropriate behavior. As far as trusting the other person...just don't be paranoid. Use the same common sense as if you are buying something off of CraigsList from someone locally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on meeting someone "half way" for a FTF deal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!