best reasonably-priced clay thrower?

PDA

MoNsTeR
January 16, 2003, 01:21 PM
I've been looking at the Outers ones, as they say they're "balanced" and don't need to be staked into the ground. Are they any good? Or is there something better out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "best reasonably-priced clay thrower?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Denton T. Young
January 16, 2003, 07:29 PM
I have a Trius 1 Step. It was $75 (with online $10 coupon) from the Sportsmans Guide. It is very easy to use. No cocking....step on it to release.....throws singles or doubles. I don't stake it because I don't mind if the angle changes a bit.

SASS#23149
January 17, 2003, 01:32 AM
I'll second the vote for the Trius one step.You can shoot by yourself if need be,and no strain to cocking it..your foot does all the work.
WARNING on the Trius.Mine jammed in the down postion one day because the chain got lodged in the frame.I reached over to "fiddle" with it,and it released the peddle under full tension!!Cost me about eight stitches in the web of my thumb..coulda been a lot worse. Just a fluke,,but I like to warn people of the possibility.
It is a good trap for the money.
A frined just bought one and we shoot together with em both,adds to the fun..one throws,the other guy shoots.
I am thinking of getting a do-all,the one with a chair on it for about a hundred bucks just to see if it'll throw farther.
Have fun,shoot safe.
Mike

podwich
January 17, 2003, 07:42 AM
Trius one-step. Much, much better than your average trap. If you're shooting by yourself, it makes it so much easier to shoot (none of this cock the trap, grab the string, pick up the gun, pull the string, drop the string, raise the gun, shoot, drop the gun, cock the trap...). All you do is put a clay on it and step on the foot pedal. So much nicer (and easier on the hands and arms). If you're with friends it still makes it easier because you don't have to cock it by hand all the time.

The one thing I don't like about it-you can't easily change the vertical angle on it as you have to move the release chain as well (takes a few more seconds).

Still, I greatly prefer this to other cheaper traps.

MoNsTeR
January 19, 2003, 08:48 PM
OK the One-step looks pretty interesting. Does it have to be staked into the ground though? The ground at my outdoor shooting spot is this impenetrable wet sand/gravel crud, so I'd like to avoid anything that needs staking.

Dave R
January 19, 2003, 09:56 PM
It is possible to throw for yourself with the red plastic throwers. You won't get any close ones, though.

SASS#23149
January 20, 2003, 12:15 AM
The one-steps work fine without staking.the angle of throw might change a little,but not much.I use mine on cement sometimes and it works fine.Since your standing on it with half your body weight when it releases,it can't move far.!

Be warned they only throw doubles a short distance,but I don't suppose any "cheaper" trap does much better.

Marshall
January 20, 2003, 12:22 AM
How far in yards, is what you are calling a short distance? Thanks for letting me but in.;)

Denton T. Young
January 20, 2003, 03:10 AM
I estimate that my Trius throws doubles around 40 yards. Of course, this is a rough estimate. I might be off plus or minus 10 yards.

podwich
January 20, 2003, 04:25 AM
You'll be fine in the wet sand/gravel stuff. As for distance doubles are thrown, I've found it throws them a rather decent distance (the spring is adjustable to compensate for the extra weight). I daresay that SASS's problem with the distance may result from using it on concrete-you're going to lose some of the throwing energy to the base twisting under it.

If you enjoyed reading about "best reasonably-priced clay thrower?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!