THR Postal Match Series -- interested?

PDA

ReadyontheRight
January 16, 2003, 12:32 PM
Is anyone interested in starting a series of THR postal matches? I'm thinking a series of monthly matches with different calibers. You print out a target, take it to the range, shoot X number of shots at the specified distance and mail it in for scoring -- all on the honor system. Starting with handguns and moving up to rifles as the weather warms up.

Informal, no $$$ involved. Winners get bragging rights and maybe a paper certificate and some sort of "THR Shooting Champ" icon by their sig line.

If there's interest, I'd be willing to organize it and record the results -- unless of course we have another volunteer.

Please vote and let me know if it's worthwhile.

If you enjoyed reading about "THR Postal Match Series -- interested?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReadyontheRight
January 16, 2003, 12:36 PM
Oleg -- Of course feel free to delete this post if you have any reasons you don't want this organized through THR.

Thanks!

Oleg Volk
January 16, 2003, 01:01 PM
Sounds good to me. One thought here: wouldn't having folks scan and post their targets with a ruler or a coin for scale be easier?

ReadyontheRight
January 16, 2003, 01:11 PM
One thought here: wouldn't having folks scan and post their targets with a ruler or a coin for scale be easier?

I had thought of that, but I figured not everyone has a scanner. If we have enough interest to do it, that could be an option.

I figure this can be a good use of good old "classic mail".

Guy B. Meredith
January 16, 2003, 01:45 PM
Make sure there is a revolver catagory/stage. I don't have any of those fantastical automaical things. Well, maybe a very stock Ruger MK512.

Ledbetter
January 16, 2003, 01:50 PM
Sounds like fun. We better have different classes though. There's lots of folks here in the upper reaches of the accuracy atmosphere.

Also, we need lots of complicated rules. :cuss:

Chris Rhines
January 16, 2003, 02:36 PM
I'm game.

One small thing, though. Instead of printing out a target, how 'bout using a standard NRA target of some kind? Scoring a close group on 40-bond printer paper will drive you out of your mind, voice of experience here...

- Chris

Parke1
January 16, 2003, 02:39 PM
Hmm, sounds mighty interesting. I couldn't participate until the summer, since I'm at school away from my guns right now, but I definitely like the idea!

-Parke1

ACP230
January 16, 2003, 02:57 PM
The snow is up to my knees here and someone seems to have changed the combination at the outdoor range, so shooting farther than 25 yards would be tough right now.

I'd like to shoot a match or two when the winter quits, though.

Brian Williams
January 16, 2003, 03:15 PM
have different catagories,

Pistol Auto & Revolver
rimfire Optics & Iron sights
Centerfire stock
Centerfire custom

Rifle
Rimfire
Hunting
Target - Varmit rifles includes here
C&R
Milspec

Ian
January 16, 2003, 03:18 PM
Count me in, especially if there's a .22 category!

bogie
January 16, 2003, 03:32 PM
Suggestion: For rifles...

Centerfire factory (factory barrel, do whatever else you want)
Centerfire custom
Rimfire factory
Rimfire custom

Use an NBRSA or IBS style (they're the same thing) target.

If shooting for group size, measure 'em. If we do it for score, use the NBRSA or IBS hunter class targets (5 targets to a sheet, clear scoring).

I don't know from handguns...

T.Stahl
January 16, 2003, 03:42 PM
Count me in for the transatlantic/intercontinental THR Postal Match Series. :D

How about a open-sights, centerfire, semi-auto rifle category for the guys and girls with oh-so evil black rifles? :cool:

Mal H
January 16, 2003, 07:21 PM
Great idea! I've participated in a few postal matches and they are a lot of fun. I think the targets will have to mailed in instead of scanned since some of the subtleties of bullet holes can be lost in a picture - might make a big difference in scoring.

Steve Smith
January 16, 2003, 08:04 PM
I'm game. How about 6" black circles at 100 yards, with a 1" x ring and 2" 10 ring? :D

I can do Rimfire too. All will be shot from field positions.

I'd be really interested if we could develop the rules a little more and have a "field position" class and a "benchrest" class, as well as scoped, open sight, and a few other things. Asking too much?

Sam
January 16, 2003, 09:13 PM
Sounds great.
I'm open for most anything. I especially like that open sighted service rifle item.

Sam

larryw
January 16, 2003, 09:42 PM
I'm all for it, count me in. Agree with Oleg on doing this digitally, and I'd be happy to photograph targets and upload/email the pictures. (please PM for mailing address).

Don't understand why we need to wait for the weather though, it was 70 and sunny today... :cool:

Also, there's a rifle match (http://www.proshooter.org/rifle-match.html) going on at Proshooter.org that could use some more entrants.

Blueduck
January 16, 2003, 09:53 PM
I'd love to do it, considering of course that my scores are not used against me in future threads:uhoh:

Triad
January 16, 2003, 11:44 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

J.Gillespie
January 17, 2003, 12:33 AM
Sounds great to me! I will just have to learn as we go. I have never entered any type of competition. This sounds like a good start and fun

I must confess: I'm good......I'm real good!:eek: :D
:D

hansolo
January 17, 2003, 12:40 AM
Well, ah guess ah'm good to go, y'all. ...but 100 yards on a black background and my 4" Bbl. .38 Special with fixed sights seems a bit, uh, difficult:rolleyes: Aww, what the hey; I needed an excuse to buy a scoped long gun! :uhoh:

Bergeron
January 17, 2003, 03:15 AM
Sounds good, count me in!

denfoote
January 17, 2003, 06:39 AM
Yeah, I'm game!! :)

I always wanted to "go postal"!!! :)

Mal H
January 17, 2003, 10:07 AM
hansolo - I think each type of competition would have the appropriate yardage assigned. For example, 25 yds (or shorter) for pistol/revolver; maybe 50 yds for rimfire rifle; 100 yds for centerfire rifle, etc. Some specialty contests can be done, like 100 yds with your snubby, etc.

We should also keep in mind that some members will not have access to long range ranges, so there should be plenty of 25 yd contests so everyone who wants to can compete.

TheFrontRange
January 17, 2003, 03:21 PM
I'd love to participate in something like that!

ReadyontheRight
January 17, 2003, 05:33 PM
It looks like we have enough interest. I will post a separate thread with the inaugural THR Mail in Match rules and info. Lots of great suggestions, but a word of warning -- I'm going to keep it very simple.

Glad to see the all interest in some friendly competition!

pbman
January 18, 2003, 01:26 AM
Sounds good, i like the standard NRA targets. They are usually avalible at wal-mart or k-mart.

blades67
January 18, 2003, 01:30 AM
Sounds like fun.

ACP230
January 18, 2003, 11:40 AM
I second the use of NRA approved targets. Midway, Midsouth Shooter's Supply and lots of other mail order places have them if the local stores don't.
The timed and rapid pistol targets also work pretty well for rifles at 50 and 100 yards.

bowhnter
January 18, 2003, 12:19 PM
Yeah, bring it on..... I have access to a 100 yd outdoor range and 50' indoor .22 rim only range. :p

ReadyontheRight
January 18, 2003, 04:59 PM
January Mail in Match details at this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4649

m.i.sanders
January 18, 2003, 05:58 PM
Sounds like fun to me, count me in. Hopefully I won't miss TOO much:D

coonan357
January 18, 2003, 07:00 PM
sounds like fun to me , I'm gonna ask some buddies of mine to participate also (also act as witnesses for each other ) :scrutiny:

griz
January 18, 2003, 07:50 PM
Great idea. Put me in the use all the target class instead of the all the shots in the middle class.;)

12-34hom
January 18, 2003, 10:20 PM
Sounds like a plan to me, count me in for the rifle catagory.

12-34hom.

Ala Dan
January 19, 2003, 01:15 AM
Hello All-

Many member's here at THR either have participated
in Postal Pistol Match'es; or they are currently engaged
with the same, in a handgun or rifle category or both?
The secret here is HONESTY! This MUST be established
from the top to the bottom; with NO EXCEPTIONS. A few
year's ago I was an avid member of one of these type
event's that was run by a person I will refer to as a
"ROGUE". My experiece with this operation revealed
that if you questioned, or happened to disagree with
a rule; the ROGUE booted you out of further competition!

I would have to really give it some thought, before I
decided to enter this type of event in the forseeable
future?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

jrhines
January 19, 2003, 11:20 AM
I've got three new shooters on my road that would all participate. We would be limited to indoor stuff, but we would shoot at the NRA HQ range.

J.Rhines
Seneca, MD

ReadyontheRight
January 19, 2003, 03:30 PM
The Mail in Match for Fellow THR Members is up and running with a lot of interest already.

January's match will feature .38/.357 wheelguns - with classes for 1. Barrels shorter than or equal to 6", 2. Barrels longer than 6" or otherwise significantly modified. 3. Scoped .38/.357s. There is also an Open Class if you don't have access to the featured weapon.

Rules, other info, downloadable targets and a forum for questions at this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthre...=&threadid=4649

Print out a target and go shoot. The goal is to make this an informal, fun competition featuring real weapons that THR members own.

If you enjoyed reading about "THR Postal Match Series -- interested?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!