What Firearms for Mars Exploration?

PDA

scotjute
February 5, 2009, 12:33 PM
While it probably several years down the road if ever, there is a chance that we could see a manned exploration trip to Mars.
If so what firearms if any would they carry?
Did the lunar astronauts carry any?
My initial guess would be something like a couple of slimmed down bare-bones .22WMR rifles with a 200-300 rounds of ammo. Some power, low weight, there's probably nothing there anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Firearms for Mars Exploration?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mello
February 5, 2009, 12:34 PM
I never heard of an astronaut carrying a firearm on a mission to the moon. A golf club yes.

No need for a firearm.

I don't think they will find a Mars like John Carter did in Edgar R. Burroughs novels.

Walkalong
February 5, 2009, 12:35 PM
They won't bring guns, they'll bring Marines.

franconialocal
February 5, 2009, 12:37 PM
Way too far fetched.........
Get your digs in boys and girls cuz' it wont be long before this one gets locked, just like the "firearms in the shower" thread did.....for being too far fetched...

mljdeckard
February 5, 2009, 12:37 PM
What are you shooting? There are no bad guys. There is no game to eat. If there is....some entity bad enough it needs to be killed, how do you know it will be vulnerable to small arms, or projectile weapons at all?

By the time we get to Mars, we would probably be looking at energy beam weapons anyway.

Mike OTDP
February 5, 2009, 12:39 PM
You bring an Olympic-grade air pistol. No sense in losing your edge on a long trip...and you can set up some targets and hold the First Martian Olympic Games.

rcmodel
February 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
The only firearms in space I ever heard of where ones carried by the Soviet capsules.

They land in Siberia where a large carnivore might eat them before they get picked up, so they need a survival gun.

Anyway, the Martians all have force-field shields around them so firearms would not be effective in the least.

rc

CWL
February 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
You really think there's something to shoot on Mars, even after the Explorer has been there beaming back pictures for so long?

JImbothefiveth
February 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
Something flat-shooting, just so I could try and shoot ultra-long-range in the low gravity.
And a .22, for target shooting.

Landor
February 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think this is a far fetched question. Just as we want to be able to carry in national parks due to the unknown, I would think Mars is considered unknown. A FN PS90 would work.

Claude Clay
February 5, 2009, 12:45 PM
due to mars weaker gravity i think a 500 S&W would allow you to shoot the moon :D

rcmodel
February 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
A FN PS90 would work.How do you know it would work?

It wouldn't work in many places on the earth.

And if life on Mars is "unknown", that means we don't know what it might take to shoot & kill it.

You might only pizz'm off!

rc

ConstitutionCowboy
February 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
One thing, though ... You wouldn't need to worry about windage! :D

Woody

Damn, you'd think that Spell-Check on a gun forum would know what "windage" is!

I added it in.

Claude Clay
February 5, 2009, 12:53 PM
^ actually there are wind storms +100mph. thats part of the reason the rovers have lived so long: the wind blows the sand & dust off of the solar panels allowing the batteries to keep charged. nasa originally figured a 3 month life based on part due to the accumulation of dust on the solar panels choking the batteries.

Shung
February 5, 2009, 12:55 PM
I think there is wind on mars !

edit: Claude Clay grilled me

Duke of Doubt
February 5, 2009, 12:57 PM
Soviet Cosmonauts carried pistols. It was a point of discussion during Apollo/Soyuz. They weren't for shooting little green men, they were for survival if they crashed on Earth far from rescue.

jerkface11
February 5, 2009, 12:58 PM
Nuke It From Orbit. It's the only way to be sure

rcmodel
February 5, 2009, 01:05 PM
Toz TP-82 Soviet Space Survival-Gun:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/10/13/tp-82-russian-space-pistol-shotgun-carbine-flare-gun-no-longer-being-carried-into-space/

rc

KaintGetwright
There is, at least as far as I've learned, wind on Mars. But with an average atmospheric pressure of .13 psi ( less than 1% of ours), that just lets you know how extreme the temperature swings are.

testar77
:rolleyes: Oh brother, society gets weirder all the dang time. I guess it's bound to trickle into the gun world too! :(

Toby

MikePGS
February 5, 2009, 01:06 PM
It won't matter. If Robert Heinlein taught me anything, its that the Martian Old Ones can simply will you out of existence with a thought. Grok what I'm saying?

woodybrighton
February 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure if the shuttle has a survival gun somewhere in case they come down miles form anywhere.
if they go to mars might have an ar7 tucked away for when they get home though a big stick might be more use:uhoh:

KaintGetwright
February 5, 2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah right Mike. I bet your the kind of guy to tell me there are dragons on Venus too.

Duke of Doubt
February 5, 2009, 01:12 PM
Sadly, the shuttle has no ejection mechanism or parachute like the capsule series did. If it doesn't land where it's supposed to, it's a probable hull loss, fatal.

HoosierQ
February 5, 2009, 01:25 PM
Actually, the wind is terrible on Mars you would have to worry about...IF THERE WAS ANYTHING TO SHOOT:scrutiny:

3pairs12
February 5, 2009, 01:28 PM
I think it will have to be one of those crazy looking Ithaca shotguns. We used to call them space guns they would fit right in out there.

ShadyScott999
February 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
Is there actually enough o2 on Mars for combustion? Answered my own question.

http://www.truveo.com/Can-A-Gun-Fire-In-Space-Kids-Quiz-Astronaut/id/2305843013407040646

HeavenlySword
February 5, 2009, 01:30 PM
A cartridge contains air inside it...

You can't fire bullets underwater because the water inside the barrel is incompressible, so your gun would blow up, but if the cartridge was made properly it would fire in vacuum

Duke of Doubt
February 5, 2009, 01:31 PM
There need not be any oxygen in the environment for the cartridge to fire.

hso
February 5, 2009, 01:32 PM
I bet your the kind of guy to tell me there are dragons on Venus too.

Whaddayamean? No dragons on Venus???

First, there would be no need of a firearm on Mars. Second, a firearm as part of the survival kit for return might be of some benefit, but considering the critical weight restrictions that pound of weight would be much better used elsewhere.

The_Shootist
February 5, 2009, 01:36 PM
Why consider anything NATIVE on Mars to shoot (likely isn't anything but who knows)?

I mean, if we make it to Mars, maybe something else has too. Hopefully they are peaceful (or more likely have the common sense to avoid us). Chances are having come a greater distance their transportation tech would be WAY ahead of ours, and by default their weapons systems too.

I don't think this discussion is far fetched. Sending a manned mission to Mars I would consider it reasonably prudent (if weight allows it) to toss a shottie or revolver into the supplies "just in case".

Why should a mission to Mars be considered any different than a journey to any unknown, uncivilized area on Earth?

GregGry
February 5, 2009, 01:42 PM
a firearm as part of the survival kit for return might be of some benefit

There is a return flight?

Shear_stress
February 5, 2009, 01:47 PM
A cartridge contains air inside it...

Wouldn't matter one way or another--gunpowder contains its own oxidizer.

Kind of Blued
February 5, 2009, 01:52 PM
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd rather off myself than wait it out and freeze to death 36 million miles from the closest human if I missed an orbit loop.

Landing in the wrong location on earth, being found by some aboriginal tribe, I'd want a gun. There would likely be jets and helicopters there before some painted fellow with a pointy stick, but it couldn't hurt.

But basically I'd want a gun simply by principle. The Second Amendment should be spread to the rest of the universe, since it has yet been actualized on Earth in my opinion. :)

And cool it with all of the IBTL nonsense. This can be an interesting, humorous, and insightful topic. Hell, this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=345234)made it five pages and got quite technical. One note of interest was that while solar radiation (I think) keeps exposed surfaces at a relatively tolerable temperature, unexposed areas, such as the chamber, trigger mechanism, etc. will likely cool to extremely low temperatures, making failures highly likely.

Lightninstrike
February 5, 2009, 01:54 PM
Vasquez: All right, we got seven canisters of CN-20. I say we roll them in there and nerve gas the whole ******* nest

Lock please.

HeavenlySword
February 5, 2009, 01:58 PM
Don't lock, just clean it up.

This is sorta interesting.

+1 Kind of Blued

HGUNHNTR
February 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
I would carry the venerable .332 Martian.

Eric F
February 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
well marvin marsan likes the uridium p49 space modulator

nyggis
February 5, 2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.tk560.com/studioprops/studioprops-Images/29.jpg'

Im lucky my girlfriend is just as nerdy as me. Otherwise I would never get laid.. :D

HeavenlySword
February 5, 2009, 02:12 PM
Where is that from?

And before I forget, how are firearm laws in sweden?

CWL
February 5, 2009, 02:14 PM
Gyroget carbine. ...to shoot the unicorns that live there.

Mal H
February 5, 2009, 02:20 PM
Sorry - fantasy time is over, everybody back to work!

If you enjoyed reading about "What Firearms for Mars Exploration?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!