Bersa - I'm completely disgusted.

PDA

CrankyOldGuy
February 5, 2009, 10:06 PM
It looked like a well made firearm. The fit and finish were quite reasonable, and the trigger felt decent.

I should have known better.

20-25% failures to fire right out of the box and this continued for 100 rounds of various factory loads while I tried a "break in". I took it home and flushed out the firing pin channel with a spray solvent and was rewarded with a ton of metal shavings.

Obviously this requires a trip to the warranty service center. So I took it back to the local gun shop who shipped it to Colorado Gun Works, a factory certified service center.

It came back worse than it left with the magazine release flopping around and unable to lock in the magazine.

How in the world you can repair a failure to fire with a defective magazine lock is beyond me, but somehow they determined it was "good to go" and shipped it back unable to even hold the mag in. It fell out of the pistol when we removed it from the box.

I thought it was a possibility for my petite wife to carry. I discovered that it's utter garbage and the warranty service is a joke.

Most of you already know, but for those who don't, Bersa is trash...avoid at all costs.

A costly lesson for me. I won't sell it because I an not that dishonest and I won't risk someone elses life on a POS. I'm thinking a trip to the band saw and toss the pieces in the garbage can.

This has been a public service announcement. :mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "Bersa - I'm completely disgusted." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
February 5, 2009, 10:09 PM
Cut the water-works already.

What model Bersa?

My Brother in Law's thunder-9 has been 100% for various HP and FMJ loads.

CrankyOldGuy
February 5, 2009, 10:14 PM
Thunder .380 DLX.
1-3 rounds per mag fail to fire...ammo independent.
Now completely useless after a "factory repair".

Not water works, just really poor treatment and utter disgust.

Sorry you feel differently.

Regards,
The old guy

oneounceload
February 5, 2009, 10:22 PM
Did you try calling the factory rep/service center?? Maybe you should send it to them??

BHP FAN
February 5, 2009, 10:23 PM
This is why I mostly work on my own guns.
I had a Bersa .22,and it was a nicely made,low cost bargain.The best you can do at this point is too get it serviced again,by a different warranty provider.

CrankyOldGuy
February 5, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, the gun shop sent it back to the "premier" service provider: Colorado Gun Works. What a joke.

At this point I can get pushy and screw my local gun shop who are very decent folks so I won't do that...or I can eat the POS.

I'll never trust a Bersa or anything touched by the idiots at Colorado Gun Works with my life after this experience. It's just not worth dying over. I've shot worn out armory trash that functioned better than this brand new pistol after being "massaged" by the premier Bersa smiths.

Very sad. Some of you may love your Bersas. I sure as hell hope you never have to rely on them...but if you do, I pray they don't kill you.

Kindrox
February 5, 2009, 10:32 PM
I think trash is a bit harsh, when all you really have so far is a bad service experiance. Bersa subcontracts out service work, so I'd start there.

All gun manufacturers have a few duds. I think enough Bersas have been sold to keep the brand out of the "trash" bin. I have two myself which have been flawless.

I'd lay off the crank and pick up the phone.

CrankyOldGuy
February 5, 2009, 10:38 PM
Kindrox,
Hey, I've got a factory "massaged" Bersa Thunder .380 DLX. Reworked by the "best" factory smith according to Bersa. I'm willing to let it go for my purchase price. ;) PM if interested.

DaBull
February 5, 2009, 11:06 PM
Why not offer it up in the classifieds? You will recoup some of your losses and somebody with more confidence in Bersa and its service centers can get it fixed to their satisfaction.

CrankyOldGuy
February 5, 2009, 11:12 PM
DaBull,

I'd rather keep sticking Bersa and CGW with the shipping charges and repair bills. Eventually I'll get tired of it and cut it up so no one get's killed depending on it.

But if you're adamant, I'll sell it to you for my purchase price, $295. No extra charge for the CGW "custom" work.

Interested?

Regards,
Steve

DaBull
February 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
You must be kidding. Why would I want your headache?

I meant offer it up to recoup the money you said you were out for buying it. In other words, try to sell it for something more than $0 (which is what you would get for bandsawing it and tossing it in the trash) and the $295 you paid for it. I think you will find a Bersa-lover willing to pay $100 for a fixer-upper...especially if they live in the same city as an authorized service center.

Impureclient
February 5, 2009, 11:51 PM
Cranky: I think everyone is missing the point in your humor.

I believed you were jokingly saying that by defending the Bersa, if it's not so bad,
then they should buy it from you. Is that right??
I vote for returning it over and over til they work it out or get tired of you and
replace it for one that works.
Too bad guns didn't have a lemon law. You are relying on it with your life after all.

SigP229R
February 6, 2009, 12:13 AM
Sorry to be a cold rag in the face but I have a tutone .380 and have never had a problem with it.My wife loves it ! I would not hesitate to use if for my primary carry if it was all I had.

gbelleh
February 6, 2009, 12:24 AM
Sorry you had a bad experience, but it's hardly enough to label an entire line of products as garbage, trash, or POS.

There are many satisfied Bersa owners on this site. I've had similar or worse experiences with several "high end" guns. There's always a chance of getting a lemon. Good luck getting it fixed.

model of 1905
February 6, 2009, 12:40 AM
Im trying to get this straight in my mind.
1. you paid 295.00 for a new gun
2. you are disappointed in the quality of this gun
3. ????:banghead:

Boba Fett
February 6, 2009, 12:49 AM
Sorry the Bersa was such a bust for you CrankyOldGuy.

I personally don't care for them, but I never had any failures.

Im trying to get this straight in my mind.
1. you paid 295.00 for a new gun
2. you are disappointed in the quality of this gun
3. ????

I would like to point out that the price does not necessarily reflect poor quality. My P3AT was under $300 NIB and it has been accurate and had no problems
My Bersa, before I sold it, was also under $300 NIB and presented no problems, I just didn't like the feel of shooting it and at the time wanted something a bit bigger.
My Ruger MKII target was $280 NIB and has been an absolute dream

Compared to my S&W SW990L which I paid right at about $500NIB which was complete crap.

High priced firearms do not mean that they are good nor do inexpensive firearms mean that they are bad.

nwilliams
February 6, 2009, 01:14 AM
Every company produces a lemon product now and then I would send it back and have it looked at. Perhaps they will send you back the gun in working order and you can finally enjoy it.

Good Luck

model of 1905
February 6, 2009, 01:26 AM
High priced firearms do not mean that they are good nor do inexpensive firearms mean that they are bad.

I dont disagree. However you can generally expect lower quality in a lower priced gun. I'm not sure how you can refute that. It holds true in all consumable goods, guns are no exception. I give a whole lot more creedence to the complaints of Kimber buyers than I do Bersa buyers. You dont always get what you pay for but when you dont pay much dont expect much.

C-grunt
February 6, 2009, 02:16 AM
Ive never seen a bad Bersa .380. I think you just got a bad one. It happens. Guy I know lemon lawed a freakin new Toyota Corolla for heavens sake in 2006.

MICHAEL T
February 6, 2009, 02:41 AM
Now he over here spreading his story. We locked him down after after 4 pages of this dribble 10 posts after he said he wasn't going to post any more. I also pointed out I don't allow personal attacks on members of the board He was doing this also.
First he said HE mailed it to factory Once that was point out as not true It became dealer sent to Colorado Gun Works But was returned from a different address. Colorado Gun Works, has been the warrenty center on Bersa Talk for about 2 years now . This is the first complaint We have had on BT about their work. He is rated the top warrenty center for Bersa in US with over 20 years experiance .
I haven't been able to talk with the Colorado Gun Works, yet. But I would like to hear their side also. He claims the dealer offered to take back pistol but he wouldn't do that either.
At this point I don't think any one could make him happy . He is enjoying the attention he's getting
No company makes a perfect pistol 100% of time All of them turn out a bad one now and then . He orginally started off with the same attitude you see here with Colorado Gun Works, In his first post in Tec Sec. Like I said no one is going to make him happy
I and one of my mods have locked but not deleted his threads . They are their to be seen.
Over 5500 happy members and one old crank. You decide.

tostada
February 6, 2009, 03:17 AM
CrankyOldGuy is obviously lying. Funny how he doesn't have any pictures of this POS that spits out metal shavings and can't hold the mag in.

Look how crazy his statements are:

"I won't sell it because I an not that dishonest and I won't risk someone elses life on a POS. I'm thinking a trip to the band saw and toss the pieces in the garbage can."

"At this point I can get pushy and screw my local gun shop who are very decent folks so I won't do that...or I can eat the POS."

"I'm willing to let it go for my purchase price. PM if interested."

"I'll sell it to you for my purchase price, $295. No extra charge for the CGW 'custom' work."

So, by his own admission:

1) He's not willing to try a different service center to get it fixed right.

2) He's not willing to call Bersa and straighten it out.

3) He's not willing to take it back to where he bought it. Apparently they're willing to give him a refund, and if the guns they sell are such trash he should be glad to take the refund.

4) Here's the real hypocrisy: He says he would never trust it and will just cut it up and throw it away, but then he repeatedly offers to sell it for the full price he paid for it and nothing less. $100 is worth more than nothing, and people would gladly give him that for it.

I think someone from Bersa or Colorado Gun Works would be willing to take him up on that $295 buy-back offer just so they could get his information to sue him for libel.

Lonestar.45
February 6, 2009, 04:37 PM
You and my brother in law follow the same basic philosophy of gun buying it seems:

1. Buy cheapest gun possible in it's class

2. take to range--it jams

3. get pissed

4. talk about how you want to throw it away and it is a POS

I see this over and over.
My personal experience: I bought a cheapo Kel Tec 3AT. It jammed every mag. I shot and shot it, trying different ammo and mags. Finally, at around round 200, with Speer Gold Dot, it started running like a champ. 400 rounds later and it still runs with no hiccups.

It just needed to be broken in, and yes it's finicky w/certain ammo but I found out what it likes and that's what I feed it.

What more do you expect from one of the cheapest options on the market?

I have to laugh when folks buy the cheapest option, it doesn't work during the first range trip, and then they gripe about what a POS they bought. Bersas are good guns, they just might need some TLC and tweaking out of the box like my Kel Tec did. If you don't want to mess with that, buy a Glock.

Mal H
February 6, 2009, 04:43 PM
Closed at the request of the OP. If he or Michael T request that it be opened again I will do so. (Michael T has graciously offered to help resolve the issue.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Bersa - I'm completely disgusted." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!