I just heard the scariest story of my life

PDA

nsf003
September 30, 2003, 10:40 PM
My mom just got off the phone with my grandmother. She had an interesting story to tell. Long story ahead, but very interesting. Makes you re-evaluate your home security strategy. Leaving your doors unlocked for a few minutes when you go outside could let an assailant in who will hide and attack you later.

My aunt was working on a vacuum cleaner, putting it together. SHe went to fill it with water and came back and found that the wheels were missing. They were in the middle of the hall a second before. SHe thought nothing of it. A few days later, while working in the yard, her neighbor told her(whom she never talks to) that she had a peeping tom. He said that he heard the tom at night, he sits at the end of her pool and watches her. Nobody saw him, but everyone heard. She went to the place where the neighbor heard the tom and sure enough the grass was all pushed down and there was some empty beer cans there. She had found beer cans there before but thought nothing of it. She called her daughter and told her. Her daughter(nicole) asked about calling the police, but my aunt didn't. Nicole had to call the cops. They recognized the threat and told her that if she called, units would respond immediately.

Stick with me, my story gets better.

Her son in law Aaron came over to her house, heard her story, and figured out that he had gotten in the house. The tom has been sneaking in a garage window(doesn't lock), through the door between house and garage(doesn't lock) and into her house. The verdict was that he was sleeping in her son's room at night(empty room, son moved out), and waking up/leaving before she got up.:what: He memorized her schedule and knew that she went to church on sundays. When she had the vacuum cleaner incident, she didn't go to church and must have suprised him, he probably slept late. Didn't call the police then.

Stick with me, my story gets even better.

Aaron came over again and nailed the garage window shut. He put sticks in some other windows to lock them. He did an all around home security check. The next night, she heard a thump thumping on the window downstairs. Instead of calling the cops, she just layed there hoping it would go away.:what: The next morning, she found that the tom had pried the window open about an inch, nails and all. He was pounding on it for at least 3-5 minutes, noisily too. The next night, her son in law and son waited in the garage, but the tom didn't come. He must have seen their cars in the driveway.

I am just dreading the news, waiting for her to turn up dead. My mom figures its only a matter of time.

I taught her how to shoot my family's Ruger P94 9mm and my Taurus 357. I have suggested to her to buy a firearm many times. I don't know what to do.

She has no common sense. She told my grandma(who is an absolute wreck by the way) that she really wants to sneak down sometime and shine a flashlight in the toms face, to see who it is.:what:

nsf003

If you enjoyed reading about "I just heard the scariest story of my life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DorGunR
September 30, 2003, 10:50 PM
she really wants to sneak down sometime and shine a flashlight in the toms face, to see who it is.
She can always find out who it is after she puts a few rounds thru him.:mad:

P95Carry
September 30, 2003, 10:51 PM
Not a good state of affairs at all ..... no way to know if this idiot is armed or not ... still could be dangerous tho.

Sure sounds like it needs looked into further, unless he is scared away for good ... that is unlikely as these types tend to be obsessional, as well as probably nutty.

A piece on hand would be very wise ... if only she would take advice ... but then also, a new firearms owner would need some tuition .... nothing bothers me more than the total novice .... they can finish up shooting themselves or an innocent party.

I'd like to think this can get resolved -- any security lights outside .. motion detector types? That could be useful.

Keep us up to date ...

Bigjake
September 30, 2003, 11:01 PM
south centeral PA huh??.... hmm, a little closer and i would VOLUNTEER to get a bunch of good ol boys to wait up in that garage with me some night and personaly kick the guys ???. thats really really scarey. how can she be such a... sheep? wait any maybe it will go away? she has some sick individual who apparently has free reign of the house, time to do something about it..

Black92LX
September 30, 2003, 11:21 PM
i don't think he will hurt her. he would have done it by now. but i think i would move. what are people thinking these days??

BHPshooter
September 30, 2003, 11:22 PM
Yesterday, my parents gave me a lot of crap because I keep (or kept, I guess) my gun and a mag nearby (bad neighbors). I was wearing it on my hip, so I put the mag in. Well, my Dad flipped out, took my gun, and later my parents and I had a "talk."

There was a lot of the socially accepted liberal propaganda floating about through the entire conversation, among which were that "the gun could go off," and "ARE YOU INSANE?!?" But this is the one that really pissed me off: "Nothing good can come from having a gun and ammo nearby."

Yeah, that's right. I'm thinking of having them read the original post. :mad: Think it'll do any good? I have hope, but am not sure.

Anyway, for those who care, they said that IF they give my gun back, they're gonna make me lock both gun and ammo up, in separate locations. Thus effectively neutering the ability to use it for its intended purpose. :banghead:

Wes, the parentally-labeled radical. :fire:

Standing Wolf
September 30, 2003, 11:26 PM
She told my grandma(who is an absolute wreck by the way) that she really wants to sneak down sometime and shine a flashlight in the toms face, to see who it is.

As long as it's a muzzle flash...

Balog
September 30, 2003, 11:31 PM
It's a sad fact of life that unless someone is violently assaulted or raped [or see it happen to someone close to them], they often believe it "can't happen to them." And they give high-school and college kids a tough time about doing foolish things because they feel "invincible.":eek: :banghead:

P95Carry
September 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
Wes ..... true indeed . gun and ammo separately locked .... might as well be 1,000 miles away!:rolleyes: :(

We all live with risk, every day .. but for most of us that risk is minimal, fortunately. However, out of apparant stability, sanity and calm, can come the unexpected ....... it is that for which most of us bear arms. The ability to protect self .... as no-one else can.

I do wonder if your Dad consideras the scenario where you just maybe were under threat and injured or killed ... all because you had no equalizer.

It sounds like you are yet young but ... if responsible enough to own and know how to use a weapon then ...... there should be no prob with loaded carry or possession."the gun could go off," and "ARE YOU INSANE?!?" But this is the one that really pissed me off: "Nothing good can come from having a gun and ammo nearby." ''Nothing good''??? Sorry, this I place in same category as the ''get guns of the streets'' mindset ......... it suggests that the mere presence and ownership carries some dastardly consequence ......

Oh my ...... sympathy dude, sympathy .......

nsf003
September 30, 2003, 11:38 PM
She can always find out who it is after she puts a few rounds thru him
As long as it's a muzzle flash...

Thats my kind of flashlight.

A piece on hand would be very wise ... if only she would take advice ... but then also, a new firearms owner would need some tuition .... nothing bothers me more than the total novice .... they can finish up shooting themselves or an innocent party.

I taught her to shoot and she has had some instruction at the range, but i don't know if she has enough common sense to use a gun properly.

Yeah, that's right. I'm thinking of having them read the original post

Couldn't hurt, my mom told me that she doesn't really like guns but would really want one in this situation. Told me she would have loaded in her nightgown.

south centeral PA huh??.... hmm, a little closer and i would VOLUNTEER to get a bunch of good ol boys to wait up in that garage with me some night and personaly kick the guys ???. thats really really scarey.

Thats what i would really like to do, but be less suspicious than the son and son in law.

I keep everyone updated on new events as they occur. Just hope you don't end up reading about her in the paper.

nsf003

PawDaddy
September 30, 2003, 11:48 PM
I think that maybe the aunt's children should stay with their mother or INSIST that she come and stay with them.

Also, why not have the daughter drop off her brother or husband so that there will be no cars in the drive. They could slip in and grab the guy the next time he comes around. It sounds like he does this quite often, so it shouldn't take but a few nights to catch him.

Someone said that he probably would have already done something if he was intending on harming her, but you never can tell. He may have big plans for her. Right now it may be just a turn on to be able to sneak around, but you don't know when that will become boring to him. There are some weird, sick people roaming around.

DigMe
September 30, 2003, 11:58 PM
Wes,

Sounds like it's time to get a job and a place of your own, eh?

brad cook

Daedalus
October 1, 2003, 12:11 AM
Just hope you don't end up reading about her in the paper.

I hope I read "Intruder Shot Dead by Local Woman"

Zundfolge
October 1, 2003, 12:16 AM
Thefumegator, it is their house and as such they have the right to make the rules. Too bad their own rules make them less safe.

DigMe has the right idea. (aside from being able to store your guns as you see fit, its also nice to have your own place when it comes to the ladies ;) )

BHPshooter
October 1, 2003, 12:22 AM
Wes,

Sounds like it's time to get a job and a place of your own, eh?

Job... check!

Place of my own -- I think (and hope) it will be coming up soon. Things were going so good since I moved back from college, and now are going downhill again. You have no idea how much I would love to move out.

I guess before I do I'll have to research the law and coax my Dad into writing up a bill of sale... for MY gun, because I'm not moving somewhere without a gun. He's way paranoid, and treats me like a 3-year-old. "If you do anything with that, it's in my name, so it's MY BUTT!" he says. Since I'm 19, he bought it in my behalf, and I believe that in Utah I can have it at 18, just can't buy it. Now I just have to find the actual law to back it up, and have he and I sign a bill of sale, and it would be mine, right?

What pisses me off so bad is that my younger brother, who has more guns than I do, never gets so much as a question or a second look. But me, who happens to be more into pistols, I'm the Damien child. We all know that pistols are evil, right? Or at least my parents do. :banghead: In the last week, I have really started to question how "pro-gun" they really are. I kid you not, during the "lecture," just about every statement they made was right out of the anti-gun propaganda book.

During said "talk," my Dad also started into how immature I was because I was thinking for myself rather than blindly following rules. "Following rules and laws is a sign of maturity." So Gen. Washington and Thomas Jefferson must've been pretty damn immature. :cuss:

Sorry, I'm ranting. :fire:

Wes

Quartus
October 1, 2003, 12:30 AM
'Fumegator, Zundy is right - it's their house. I think you'd have done better to be a little less conspicuous with your weapon. You might still have the ammo and gun together. Be chill, lay low, and hope it blows over. Then be more careful - if there's a next time. I can relate - I found coming home after 4 years in the Army didn't work out. Somehow after being a sergeant I didn't take well to being treated like a child. Be prepared to write off the pistol for now, but don't burn your bridges.

i don't think he will hurt her. he would have done it by now.

Not a good plan. Wackos often 'work up' to a killing, pushing and pushing a little at a time to see what resistance there is. The safe route is to assume she's in serious danger.

But is that "no common sense" condition a family trait, nsf? They parked IN THE DRIVEWAY to wait for him???? :what:

Hmmm. Lessee - letting intruders bang on the window hoping it will go away... parking in the driveway to surprise a peeper..... trying to wrestle a strange dog off the pool cover....

I don't mean to be insulting to your family, my young friend, but where did YOU come from?

;)

(most of my family is no better, BTW. :) )

son of a gun
October 1, 2003, 12:32 AM
why doesn't she just put a sign in the window telling the vagrant that the gig is up. Any one that callous to sneak in a house must have some serious psychological problems. I can't believe the family members would allow her to remain there with this situation.

Mike Irwin
October 1, 2003, 12:41 AM
Is this the night that all Pennsylvania residents forget how to call the freaking police?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=516573#post516573

pax
October 1, 2003, 12:46 AM
nsf003 --

Don't suggest she should have a gun.

If she's not smart enough to call the cops, if she's not smart enough to Do Something when someone is pounding on a window breaking into her house, if she's not smart enough to know that shining a flashlight in the guy's face would be a pretty stupid thing to do, then she's simply not smart enough to use a gun. She honestly would get it taken away and used against her.

Her kids could and maybe should stake out the place, only without leaving a buncha cars in the driveway this time (d'oh!). That might help, maybe.

If she doesn't have any common sense, and isn't inclined to take advice, there really isn't much you can do but hope it all works out in the end. :(

pax

What drives people crazy is trying to live outside reality. Reality is terrible. It can kill you. Given time, it certainly will kill you. The reality is pain ... But it's the lies, the evasions of reality, that drive you crazy. – Ursula K. LeGuin

twoblink
October 1, 2003, 12:54 AM
If you are going to use a flashlight to shine it on the tom..

http://www.dentrinity.com/shop/gp/m3lighta.jpg

Might I suggest a 9mm to go with it?

Scary story..

My friend had quite a few breakin's, so many so that he was thinking of not going on vacation as every time he did, his house got broken into..

So I shot up a few siloutte targets for him to hang on the front door, the back door, and the garage..

First time in 6 years, no theft :D

I'd highly recommend you do the same, as a gift.. If guns are not welcome in the house, they surely wouldn't mind a few target-men riddled with holes right?

It works MUCH better than "do not disturb"..
:p

But I have to say, scary story..

4v50 Gary
October 1, 2003, 12:54 AM
If he's thumping away for 3-5 minutes to get in, he probably feels that he has a right to be in his "home." Trespasser.

son of a gun
October 1, 2003, 01:18 AM
She needs a dog even one of those 10 pound little yappy dogs would scare him away hopefully.

Mike Irwin
October 1, 2003, 01:30 AM
She needs a dog alright...

A freaking Charter Arms Bulldog...

J.J.
October 1, 2003, 02:11 AM
Sadly I get a mental picture of a squatter, "I have lived here for 6 months it’s now my property YOU LEAVE..."

All I can think is you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink.

jimpeel
October 1, 2003, 02:42 AM
Your sig line has "Molon Labe" in it. Sounds like Mom and Dad did just that. Watch what you wish for.

Remember, A gun in the hand is worth two in separate locked cabinets.

Kharn
October 1, 2003, 07:14 AM
Find Auntie a nice dog to keep her company (got a spare you could lend her?). A 10lb Jack Russell Terrorist on crack or a good-sized Golden Retriever, it doesnt matter, just one that'll bark its head off when the peeper comes around.

Kharn

Atticus
October 1, 2003, 09:45 AM
Perhaps she should just charge him rent. She seems not to mind the company.

Wes- To quote my dad when I was 18, " You want rights? Get out!!"
I did move out. And fifteen years later..... I was finally able to pay my own way through college.

Quartus
October 1, 2003, 10:18 AM
She needs a dog alright...

A freaking Charter Arms Bulldog...

I give that crack http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

:D

Daedalus
October 1, 2003, 10:37 AM
So I shot up a few siloutte targets for him to hang on the front door, the back door, and the garage..

The first thing any intruder into my home would see before entering the residential wing of the house is my silhouette collection. My friends and I have a little tradition where bring back the silhouettes we use when we are done with them and have a bunch tacked up on the wall, wall calendar style with the latest one in front. Posted right now is "2 AKs, an SKS, and 500 rounds of ammo"

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=517110

nsf003
October 1, 2003, 11:08 AM
Update.
She finally called the cops last night to tell them about the banging on the window. She then got a strange phone call. She kept asking the caller who he wanted to talk to and he just mumbled and breathed heavily. The tom is now calling.

I have a bunch of shot up silhouette targets in my basement from my birtday thing this year. Shot one apart with an MP5. Maybe i should give them to her.

I also agree with pax, she doesn't have enough common sense to use a gun. Heck, she didn't even call the police.

I don't mean to be insulting to your family, my young friend, but where did YOU come from?

I would say i'm the black sheep, but i can't be considered a sheeple.:) So i have no idea.

nsf003

TallPine
October 1, 2003, 11:37 AM
1) Un-nail the window

2) Hide out in the house (without your car in driveway, geez ... :rolleyes: )

3) Introduce yourself to Tom when he comes in .... :D

RustyHammer
October 1, 2003, 11:56 AM
..... sounds like everyone passed up a great chance to catch him to me!

.45FMJoe
October 1, 2003, 11:59 AM
Jesus H. Christ!!!

Now he has moved up to calling? Is nobody else realizing what is going on here? Mumbling and breathnig heavily!!!! Do you not realize what he *might* be doing?? It's probably making him go blind. ;)

This is typical behavior and is following a really nice pattern. Eventually it WILL lead to some form of confrontation. Be it rape/robbery/murder, whatever.

There is a little voice in my head that says this cannot be a real story. How can anyone be so naieve? Is your aunt really that stupid? What about the rest of the family? How about not having the cars in the driveway but being in the garage at night. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If this is a true story, then she is more than likely in grave danger. How can somebody have their head lodged that far up their a__????

Personally, as soon as she found out what was going on, the VERY NEXT night he would be met with my Mossberg 500. Some nice Fedral 00 Buckshot would do the trick.

Bill Hook
October 1, 2003, 12:14 PM
No offense intended, but your aunt doesn't sound like the brightest bulb by a long shot.

Hoping someone B&Eing would go away? Shine a flashlight at him? DuHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

MaterDei
October 1, 2003, 12:26 PM
I bet you're hoping by now that you came from the opposite end of her gene pool. Seriously, has she been checked for Alzheimers? Her reaction to all this defies logic. She is acting as a child might act.

Blue Skies

MaterDei
October 1, 2003, 12:28 PM
btw, what did the cops do?

MJRW
October 1, 2003, 12:39 PM
I can't understand this mentality. This is like the third time I've heard something like this.

"I don't want to call the cops, I want to catch/see him first!"

Well, what the hell for? You can see him when the cops have him in the back of the cruiser. And if the cops catch him, in my opinion, it is better than if you catch him. It is what they are paid for. Their testimony will carry a little bit more weight when trying to get him locked up. The person is less likely to respond violently. And the person ends up just as caught as if you did it.

nsf003
October 1, 2003, 12:41 PM
No offense intended, but your aunt doesn't sound like the brightest bulb by a long shot.

Yeah, she never really was. She always acts almost like a child would, flaky.

Hide out in the house (without your car in driveway, geez ... )

When my grandma told my mom about the son and son in law in the garage, my mom asked about the cars in the driveway. Response, Oh, i never thought he would notice them.:confused: Logic is certainly not my aunt's middle name, but she has always been like that.

nsf003

gulogulo1970
October 1, 2003, 12:42 PM
Broken record... hide your car, hide in the house with a shotgun and a phone. If you ever feel your life or your aunt's life is in danger take care of the threat. If you are not theatened hold him for the police. If you lived in Texas somone crawling though a pried open window at night can be shot theat or no threat of danger. Gotta love Texas.
Good luck, hope every thing comes to a happy ending. You have to get your aunt more involved with her own protection or she will be easy prey, for the rest of her life. Remember to be careful. If you deal with her problem check your local laws on when force can be applied.

nsf003
October 1, 2003, 12:42 PM
btw, what did the cops do?

Checked the house again, and told her to F------ CALL THEM if he was trying to get in.:banghead:

I don't think she will heed any of the good suggestions that have been given so far.

nsf003

Meowhead
October 1, 2003, 12:56 PM
Ugh...I'm not sure what's more shocking about the original post, some maladjusted freak stalking a woman or her completely boneheaded reaction. Shining a flashlight to see who it is? Hoping he'll go away on his own? nsf003, forget about her doing anything on her own. Even if you explained exactly how, with pictures and hand puppets and very short words, she wouldn't even think of defending herself.

Good luck with the police. Leaving the freak's favorite entry window open and confronting him just as he enters (with camera, drawn shotguns and very bright lights) would seem the best course of action. As long as the people you gather for this surprise don't warn him by parking in the driveway, anyway..

spacemanspiff
October 1, 2003, 12:59 PM
this last summer i was with my mother and my sisters kids, when we got to my mothers house, i got to the front door and noticed it was open. its not like my mother to leave the house like that, so the first thing i did was to tell her to keep the kids outside while i cleared the home. in my haste, i forgot i wasnt carrying chambered so my pistol in hand would have been useless if i needed to use it.

for as much anti- leanings my mother displays, she sure didnt say anything negative about my being armed taht day.

nsf, perhaps you could call the police and speak to the officers who came by your aunts home. maybe she downplayed the situation to them, and you could give them the full story. since it IS b&e, the question remains: why didnt police try to find fingerprints? surely they wouldnt wait until a violent crime has been commited, right?

son of a gun
October 1, 2003, 01:00 PM
After a second and a third thought about it, this is unbelievable
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/edoom/Thinkingof_.gif

nsf003
October 1, 2003, 01:08 PM
After a second and a third thought about it, this is unbelievable

I'm not making it up. I wish i was. My parents said its almost like a movie.

Good luck with the police. Leaving the freak's favorite entry window open and confronting him just as he enters (with camera, drawn shotguns and very bright lights) would seem the best course of action. As long as the people you gather for this surprise don't warn him by parking in the driveway, anyway..

I'm 16 and i live an hour away from her. I don't think it's going to be me in that garage. I don't know the whole story about dusting for fingerprints, will have to talk with my mom and get details when she gets home. I think she should be the one to call the police, because she is an adult and responsible for her own decisions.

nsf003

TallPine
October 1, 2003, 01:12 PM
surely they wouldnt wait until a violent crime has been commited, right?
Well, that's what keeps them in business .... :rolleyes:

Bill Hook
October 1, 2003, 01:53 PM
I don't think she will heed any of the good suggestions that have been given so far.

Did your aunt have children?

My feeling about this is strangely Darwinistic. If some folks are determined to weed themselves out of the gene pool, either through their actions or inactions, who are we to argue?

I guess your aunt is kinda like my dog, you love 'em, but you can't really stop them from getting themselves in trouble and have to face up that they may be gone b/c of it. In his case, he likes to dig out (even w/ invisible fence) and run away across a busy street. He has a better excuse, since he's running on instinct.

chaim
October 1, 2003, 02:33 PM
The camera idea someone posted a few posts back is probably the best I've heard for you yet. You are on THR, of course you've probably thought about having you or another family member there to greet the guy with a shotgun. The camera though will give you evidence that they guy indeed broke in (if you get the picture of him coming in). Maybe you can get one of those motion activated cameras meant for hunters and aim it at the window so you will definately get the picture of him coming in. Then if it goes bad and he has to be shot you have a little extra insurance against the courts getting weird on you. Certainly, since your aunt is too flaky to do anything, and you and other family don't want anything to happen to her, I would set up a schedule with your unkles and cousins (maybe your dad too) to sleep in her house and have a shotgun ready. Not to be sexist, if you have any other aunts or if your mother is good with guns they can be in on the rotation as well.

nsf003
October 1, 2003, 03:01 PM
Update,

Son in law Aaron went over to her house, boarded up the gargage windows, put sticks in all the other windows, and fixed the door from garage to house. Last night, she kept every light in and around the house on, she slept in a different room, and kept the phone and a baseball bat by the bed. Aaron came over late last night to check on her. Tom didn't come around, but he did call. She contacted the police and tried to get them to send a cruiser by the neighborhood at random times in the night, but i don't know if they will. She is also working on getting the phone call traced.

Still not sure about dusting for fingerprints.

nsf003

Quartus
October 1, 2003, 03:02 PM
Laying in wait with a weapon is a good way to find out how you like striped sunlight.

Shouldn't be that way, but it is...

Daniel T
October 1, 2003, 03:23 PM
Quartus is right. Setting an ambush will be considered intent, no matter how justified it might seem. Let the cops do their thing and be prepared, but not "prepared". Get it?

spacemanspiff
October 1, 2003, 03:25 PM
yeah, i was going to mention that 'lying in wait' thing...however, walking around the home with a weapon on you shouldnt get you in too much trouble, provided the occupant of the home followed whatever laws there may be about 'duty to retreat' (if applicable) and whatnot.

good thing the window is boarded up now. if it wasnt, might have been an opportune place to leave some sharp objects that conveniently are covered by a towel. not like a boobytrap though, cause that of course is illegal.

bogie
October 1, 2003, 03:29 PM
You know, your aunt needs a cactus collection.

Harbor Freight had some el-cheapo surveillance cameras last time I was there. Point a light at the window, hook up the camera, run the wire into a locked closet, put the cactus UNDER the window, and save the tape for America's Most Painful Crooks...

gulogulo1970
October 1, 2003, 03:41 PM
"Laying in wait with a weapon is a good way to find out how you like striped sunlight."

Well yes and no.

Say your waiting for a family member to come home and you blast them=JAIL/MURDER.

Say your going to a family members house because she has a serial B&E subject camping out in the house in the middle of the night and you confront them. Then they do anything the least which threatening, you get to shoot them at that point= NO JAIL/SELF DEFENSE. Officer I feared for my life and the life of my Aunt.

Depending on the state you live in of course. All I know about is Texas, where if someone is breaking into your house (read not broken into), you can shoot a person trying to get into your house. You can shoot a vandal at night in Texas. You just open yourself up to civil liabilty if you use deadly force without being in danger. I wouldn't shoot anyone unless they did something that threatened my safety or my loved ones safety. PA law my be less liberal in the use of force than Texas. Again, check your laws. But breaking into peoples houses in the dead of night should get you shot in my mind.

nsf003
October 1, 2003, 03:47 PM
Just talked with my mom. Se told me that my aunt actually thought about it for a while, figured out that this guy is serious, and is now scared ----less. I think the call finally convinced her what a nutcase he is. She gets off work late and has to pull into her garage at night. I don't know if she has an electric opener. She now thinks that he will slip under the garage door while she is getting in her car.

I hope she will use more common sense now.

good thing the window is boarded up now. if it wasnt, might have been an opportune place to leave some sharp objects that conveniently are covered by a towel. not like a boobytrap though, cause that of course is illegal.

Not only boarded up, but has a ton of heavy filing cabnets and tables in front of it. Should do that for each of the other windows, some kitchen knives... It would be satisfying but she would probably go to jail.

nsf003

chaim
October 1, 2003, 03:47 PM
She is also working on getting the phone call traced. *69 right after the call will give you what number called you. I used it when I got what I thought was a prank call IDing himself as an FBI agent wanting me to confirm what guns I own and to account for my whereabouts the week before (this was during the DC sniper stuff, you can do a search on TFL if you'd like). I called the FBI Baltimore office to let them know that there was a prank caller asking for sensitive info IDing himself as FBI and gave the number. The guy got quiet and said, that is one of our numbers from the Sniper Task Force in DC. Anyway, it works, it is cheap (your phone company will charge something like 50 cents) and maybe the police will do something with the information.

Note: *69 is here, I don't know if it is local. If it is, I'm sure the service is available elsewhere so check your phonebook or check with your local phone company to find out what to dial for the service where you are.

bogie
October 1, 2003, 04:28 PM
Er... Just had a gnarsty thought - Maybe the guy was INSIDE when the window was closed, and broke it open to get out?

Cornered rats (now where've I heard that before?) can be dangerous...

saddenedcitizen
October 1, 2003, 04:51 PM
(I'm gonna suggest this but based on your description
of her behavior it may not work)
Tell your anut that the call can be traced as long as
SHE DOESN'T HANG UP (doesn't matter about the
'other end')
This has been true for YEARS despite what you have
seen in movies.
Does she have a cell phone where she can then call
the police ???
Camera & bright lights (along w/ a few relatives)
sounds like a great idea too.
This 'perp to be' or maybe 'perp already' is going to
hurt someone or already has.
Do WHATEVER it takes to stop this sicko NOW.
I understand you are young but you MUST make
someone take this seriously and take action.
If all of what I have read is true and nothing
changes, well, I've got a bad feeling about this.

moa
October 1, 2003, 05:59 PM
It could be the B&E guy is armed. Confronting him could be quite dangerous regardless of how well you are armed and how many of you guys are there.

If this story is true, the B&E guy qualifies at least as a "cat burglar". Police will tell you they are one of the most dangerous kinds of criminal. I am surprised that the police have not done more. Besides being a cat burglar, he is also a stalker.

By the way, nsf, do you know if your state laws have provision for citizen's arrest? Some states do.

Dr.Rob
October 1, 2003, 07:14 PM
This pretty much puts all the zombie/alien/werewolf/shtf threads to shame.

This guy needs to be behind bars. Maybe a padded cell because he's crazy. But he definitely does NOT need to be out in public or in her home.

Be proactive. Make a difference. This will not end well if it's allowed to continue.

DorGunR
October 1, 2003, 07:30 PM
Tell your anut that the call can be traced

Whats wrong with using caller ID????:confused:

jacketch
October 1, 2003, 09:31 PM
Interesting story!

It seems that every security rule in existance has been broken on this one.:confused:

Feanaro
October 1, 2003, 10:00 PM
I have always assumed everyone had a small little voice of survival. I would hope that when someone is sneaking into your house and sleeping it in, that voice would say "Dear Stupid, will you CALL THE COPS FOR GOODNESS SAKE!" Or it might tell you to install windows and doors that lock. I'm suprised she hasn't drown in a pool or fallen into a sewer drain. :scrutiny:

Don Gwinn
October 1, 2003, 10:09 PM
After much deliberation, I believe I have found the only possible solution. It's risky, but it has worked in the past. Let's review your situation:

You've got a stalker/peeper,
He's sneaking into a woman's garage and house
No one has managed to catch him yet

How no one has brought this up so far is beyond me, but it's perfectly clear that what you need is . . . .

LAWDOG!*

* You don't have . . . ahem . . . . armadillos in central Pennsylvania, do you?

Quartus
October 1, 2003, 10:12 PM
AWRIGHT DON! UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS! 10 YARDS!

How's that song go now? "Rub it in, rub it in...."

:D

Kharn
October 1, 2003, 10:17 PM
You don't have . . . ahem . . . . armadillos in central Pennsylvania, do you?

LMAO, to hear the tales of "What's your sign, baby?" in armadillo-ese (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35526&highlight=armadillo) again.

Kharn

son of a gun
October 1, 2003, 10:20 PM
DorGunR

Tell your aunt that the call can be traced
Whats wrong with using caller ID????

All you have to do is dial a code like *67 before dialing the call and caller ID is blocked, this dude is most likely calling from a pay phone so the number wouldn't be a smoking gun.

Don Gwinn
October 1, 2003, 10:38 PM
"Vut happened vas foolish, Gregor. And more to ze point, it vas unnecessary! I vas not consulted before it vas done. . . . "
--Some shifty Russian from Ronin

All right, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I'll just say that we've all got loopy relations. Mine is my aunt Denise. She's as wildly anti-gun as they come, which was a relatively minor one among a lot of reasons why her marriage to uncle John didn't work out. It wasn't all her fault, of course.
Anyway, when they were still married, uncle John was a reserve cop for awhile. He carried an old .38 revolver and kept it in the dresser when he wasn't working. He was alternating working midnights at the Pillsbury plant and doing midnight shifts with the police department in sleepy little Virden, IL. Aunt Denise hated having him gone all the time, but she loathed that gun. She nagged him day and night to get rid of it. He didn't really need a gun to do police work in such a nice little town, she said, and the gun was dangerous. She was pregnant and was sure the baby would somehow find the gun once it was born.

Anyway, one night when he was gone, she heard noise outside. To her credit, she didn't just lay there and wait for it to go away. She jumped up and got out uncle John's revolver, cocked the hammer, and jumped back into bed. Then she decided to go down the hall and call her father (who lived an hour away) and tell him how scared she was and to come get her. He, being a sensible if crusty old man, told her to hang up and call the police immediately and he'd be down as soon as he could (this at 1 a.m., mind you) which, again to her credit, she did. The cop told her to get back in bed, pull her knees up, put the gun between them and cover it with the sheet. If anybody got into her room before the police arrived, she was to fire through the sheets. This strikes me as an uncomfortable way to fire a revolver, but that's the advice he gave. I guess it's better than "leave this to the professionals, ma'am" but in aunt Denise's case, that might have been the right call!

She just couldn't sit in that room and wonder what was going on, so she went downstairs and checked the entire house. She didn't use a light or turn any on. When she heard a knock on the back door, she answered it by throwing open the door and thrusting the revolver into the face of the startled man standing there, with the hammer cocked and her finger on the trigger.

And that's the story of how my crazy aunt (and my cousin Rob) survived pointing a loaded and cocked revolver at a policeman in the middle of the night. :what:

Feanaro
October 1, 2003, 10:57 PM
Perhaps it's best that anti-gunners stay that way, I'd hate to have a world filled with crazy aunts like that.

Holly76201
October 2, 2003, 03:01 PM
NSF,
I realize you and other family members are doing all you can to help your Aunt. I think you have gotten lots of good advice. I just wanted to add a few words of caution from my perspective as someone who used to work {as a Parole Officer} with Sex Offenders. He started out as a peeper. Then he was hiding in the house, but not confronting your Aunt. Now he has escalated to calling her. His next escalation will be RAPE!!! Please, Please convey this to your Aunt. Maybe it will wake her up, or at least Scare her into a more realistic mindset. I talked to a great number of the victims of the offenders I oversaw. They never thought they would be victims, "Oh, no, it won't/couldn't happen to me. I'm too old/ugly/fat/young/fit." Tell her that sexual predators don't stop, they escalate until they are caught and jailed, then when released on parole or probation they start up again.
Good Luck to you and your family in keeping the Aunt safe.
Holly

standingbear
October 2, 2003, 08:14 PM
my gma was burglarized and almost killed the same way.i had been staying with her on weekends to help round the house.the very nite i didnt stay,5 guys tried to get her.they broke into the garage,the poodle she had barked and these guys werent even scared off.she saw them walking around her windows and heard the ones in the garage trying to get the door to the house open.she called the cops and they caught all of them running through a field down to the freeway.they left their car parked off the road in a turn around. one stayed in the car- was just a 14 year old kid,he had a gun ready for me or her.they had a ball bat beside the kitchen door and a another was waiting in the shrubs by the front door where she saw him standing through the window.i think the punks turned out to be related to the guy that she rented off of.what got me was these guys thought they could get away with it and didnt bother to run when the dog barked or my gma picked up the phone and called the cops..through a well lit kitchen.the cops said apparantly the punks were waiting on her to let the dog out but tried the garage as a way in when she dialed the police..gma moved 2 days later.you can never be too careful,it can happen to anyone.

nsf003
October 2, 2003, 09:23 PM
I talked to her, told her about sexual predators and how they don't stop unless jailed or killed. He hasn't been around for a 2 days, and she thinks he's long gone. I begged to differ. Aaron turned the place into a pretty secure house, but the guy could still kick down the sliding glass doors in back of her house if he was in the least bit determined.

Before bed, she turns every light in the house on, outside lights on, and sleeps in a different room every night. Good idea, but she needs to take it a few steps farther.

I'm hoping to go down this weekend and help her look for some motion sensor security lights in the very least, and maybe changing her locks just to be sure. Probably no firearms talk.

nsf003

Holly76201
October 3, 2003, 07:50 AM
You are an incredibly devoted neice. With all the frustration you've been through with her, I'm surprised you didn't just give up. Good Girl.

nsf003
October 3, 2003, 07:56 AM
Holly

If you change niece to nephew.....:what: :neener: :D

nsf003

Holly76201
October 3, 2003, 10:17 AM
So Sorry, NSF, my BAAAD.

nsf003
October 3, 2003, 11:23 AM
No offense taken, I had a good laugh.

nsf003

mattd
October 3, 2003, 12:01 PM
There is a movie where a hit man is killing this group of people for something they did and this gun nut guy is the last one he is trying to get, but the gun guy gets ready for him, stays up at night time, camouflaged to look like his wall, he rigged up spot lights everywhere in the room and loud music to turn on with a press of button, anyways the hit man comes in the room and didn't know it and they both died because the hit man had a another hidden gun. Its pretty insane, anyone happen to know the name of this movie?

I'd sneek into the house and hide in the garage all night for a week with a gun, mace and a flash light setup something to fall and wake me up if he came in. Or setup a IR Camera in the garage and loan her a gun to take everywhere illegally if its not legal.

Watching women like this is only a first step for rapists.

Snake Eyes
October 3, 2003, 12:32 PM
Mattd--

I think the movie you are referring to is "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead". The character you refer to is "Critical Bill".

Great movie. Even if it's not the one you meant!

standingbear
October 3, 2003, 06:13 PM
if she is intent on staying there.add the motion lights-set them up high enough that the bulbs cant be unscrewed easily.if she gets a alarm system,get one that dials via cell phone.regular lines can be cut and disabled.add some nice thorny type shrubbery around the windows,keep them trimmed to knee level so no one can hide in them easily.another nice feature is the window film that can be applied to the inside.those thick glass block windows are gret for basement windows-but they are very expensive.a yippity dog such as a small poodle can alert her to movement too.you could always bury boards with nails poking up in the mulch by the windows but that would be illegal and the burglar could sue you if he injured himself.just because you havent seen him recently doesnt mean he hasnt been around.he maybe watching the place waiting for things to settle down.it seems odd why this psycho would pick your aunt and keep escalating his threats,perhaps he thinks he cant be caught?..he could be a new neighbor.

mussi
October 3, 2003, 07:07 PM
Get a couple of belligerent Rottweilers. Usually very effective - if you find them one morning sleeping in the sun with full stomachs, you know that Thomas Respasser had been had a for a little "casse-croutte" at night. :)

nsf003
October 3, 2003, 07:53 PM
Standingbear,

Does ADT or Brinks offer services that dial the police over a cell phone? I never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

nsf003

4v50 Gary
October 3, 2003, 08:48 PM
You can get panic buttons through alarm companies. They call the police for you.

BTW, if she won't get a good size dog, a 4" 38 revolver should be her companion.

son of a gun
October 3, 2003, 09:06 PM
This festering situation so stupid have the cops arrest him, there dogs can track this drunk. The guy hangs out behind her house and drinks beer.

Wayne
October 3, 2003, 10:36 PM
thats one sick story. If i was you, after he had started to get into the house i would have waited with a few friends at captain screwball's main entrance and as he was on his way in, i would have kicked his peeping ???.

Balog
October 6, 2003, 12:30 PM
So nsf, any word from your aunt over the weekend? Is everything still calm, or has she had more problems?

wingnutx
October 7, 2003, 03:27 PM
This festering situation so stupid have the cops arrest him, there dogs can track this drunk. The guy hangs out behind her house and drinks beer.

Beer cans would be a great place to lift prints and DNA.

bogie
October 7, 2003, 04:23 PM
Take a small bottle of cheap brandy or monkey david... grind up about 10-20 mg worth of valium/diazepam, and let it dissolve. "Accidentally" leave the bottle on the back porch. Visit the bushes in the morning, hogtie the fellow, and call the cops.

nsf003
October 7, 2003, 04:46 PM
As far as I know, this scumbag hasn't been lurking around. He hasn't caused any trouble as of recently, but my aunt says the stuff in her shed was messed with.

I think he is waiting for the right time to strike, contrarily, my aunt and grandmother think he left the country.

nsf003

chaim
October 7, 2003, 05:12 PM
As far as I know, this scumbag hasn't been lurking around. He hasn't caused any trouble as of recently, but my aunt says the stuff in her shed was messed with Emphasis is of course, mine

Um, I think if the stuff in her shed was messed with then he is still lurking around and causing trouble. Be very careful and be sure your aunt knows to be careful. Do not let the family let down their guard until the guy is caught (and become a pest to the cops if you must).

mattd
October 7, 2003, 06:16 PM
He is prob stalking another women thanks to her inaction.

Quartus
October 7, 2003, 09:23 PM
As far as I know, this scumbag hasn't been lurking around. He hasn't caused any trouble as of recently, but my aunt says the stuff in her shed was messed with

He is prob stalking another women thanks to her inaction.

Nope. He is still stalking HER.

gundam007
October 7, 2003, 09:46 PM
Since Im not of gun ownership age, and no guns in my house (my mom is GC).. If someone broke in, I would take my semi dull katana and get Japanese feudal on their ***...so.. if she doesnt like guns, get her a knife... and teach her how to use it

son of a gun
October 7, 2003, 10:00 PM
Beer cans would be a great place to lift prints and DNA.

The fingerprints would be good to determine if he's a habitual offender they could ID him and have a risk assessment on him to tell if he's a local drunk vagrant or an escaped psychopath.

gundam007
October 7, 2003, 10:05 PM
As far as I know, this scumbag hasn't been lurking around. He hasn't caused any trouble as of recently, but my aunt says the stuff in her shed was messed with.
well, he might be hiding a weapon there so he doesnt have to sneak it into her yard...

mattd
October 8, 2003, 10:39 AM
How about a bat with nails in it.

If you enjoyed reading about "I just heard the scariest story of my life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!