Which is better: Zombie Threads or Redundant Threads (of redundancy)?

PDA

MikePGS
February 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Not sure if this would be better for the technical forum or not, please move acordingly.

Is it better to ressurect an old thread, or to make a new one that has been done dozens of times before? I see some people complain when an old thread is ressurected, while others seem to object to someone making another "what gun should I get" thread. So which one is better to do?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is better: Zombie Threads or Redundant Threads (of redundancy)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
February 6, 2009, 11:58 AM
My personal opinion is that you should only post in an old thread when you have additional information that is particularly relevant to the thread and the timeliness of the information is not crucial. The biggest problem with old threads coming back up is they tend to be posts that add little to the topic.

MikePGS
February 6, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thank you for moving this to the appropriate forum.

Also theres trouble I think with each additional post swaying something into being off topic. For instance if someone is asking about a certain round for .243 (this happened a week or two ago) I also had a question, but if I were to ask about my round there is the potential for seriously derailing said thread, which is not fair to the OP. But at the same time we do have quite a few of "New gun, what should I buy" "My wife needs a gun" "What caliber for black bear" type of things, so its hard sometimes to decide if you should rez an old thread or make a new one. Not trying to be argumentative or anything at all I just would like to hear some opinions on which option would be better.

bikerdoc
February 6, 2009, 12:22 PM
New thread please, but be specific.

dwave
February 6, 2009, 01:15 PM
I always hate seeing 2 year old (or older) threads revived just to say, "I agree!" or "I have one too!"

melikesguns
February 6, 2009, 02:06 PM
I have one too!! J/K

I hate redundant , redone, redundancy, for redundancy of infancy threads.

MMCSRET
February 6, 2009, 07:06 PM
Order of the Day: Help stamp out redundancy and repetition!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimboKhan
February 8, 2009, 05:55 PM
Well, the problem is that for every new thread posted on a previously discussed topic, you get a slew of "Search is your friend" remarks. What boggles me is why someone would take the time to get on a thread on a topic that they know they have already looked at and have no apparent interest in just to point out that someone in 2007 already extensively covered the topic.

THR is a big forum with a large and changing membership roll, and really, there is only so much we can talk about here. Even when there is a discussion on the most obscure, esoteric facet of something, there is a good chance it has been covered already. I say let the new threads refresh the pool and delete all "search function is your friend" posts on sight.

bikerdoc
February 8, 2009, 06:27 PM
Timbo is right, dont tell em to search it ussually sounds rude and not very HIGHROAD

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is better: Zombie Threads or Redundant Threads (of redundancy)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!