Acquired FEG PA-63 in like new condition but feed ramp is like a washboard

PDA

JonF
February 6, 2009, 02:43 PM
I received one up from CDNN the other day in the "like new/test fired" condition and overall its general physical is very clean as advertised. The only thing i notice is that the feed ramp looks like a washboard in that its is actually serrated in appearance rather than the smooth surface normally expected from such a component. Now, i have no idea if this is normal or if it had any detrimental effect since i have a. never owned or seen another FEG before and b. have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I can only say that i was impressed that, as a test, it successfully fed an empty 9mm luger shell casing out of the mag. I've tried that trick with other guns/calibers with little success but this one does it every time so perhaps the ramp surface wont hurt especially considering it will be just a range toy/project gun relegated to FMJ.

If you enjoyed reading about "Acquired FEG PA-63 in like new condition but feed ramp is like a washboard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wizzegun
February 6, 2009, 03:22 PM
I would test fire the PA-63 but I'm sure it will be fine. Remember it's 9mm Makarov. I did polish my feed ramp as mine had the bumps. I never had any problems but did it since I sometimed use it as a CCW and wanted it as reliable as possible with HPs.

Duke of Doubt
February 6, 2009, 03:33 PM
My FEG PMK380 wouldn't feed even a SINGLE ROUND of JHP. I had to manually push the round into the chamber to get one in. It fed FMJ just fine. I finally traded it away, not so much for that as for the ludicrously heavy double action trigger pull and a mainspring that made racking the slide like stringing a longbow.

woad_yurt
February 6, 2009, 05:18 PM
Try shooting it before you do anything. It'll probably work perfectly. Get the Wolff mainspring and recoil springs for it. It'll be a whole 'nother gun.

JonF
February 8, 2009, 10:58 PM
Well, i shot the thing this weekend and it seemed to have some feeding issues. Not sure if its from the rough ramp or something else. are there any general troubleshooting tips for feeding issues in autos?

trickyasafox
February 9, 2009, 01:36 PM
My PA-63 won't feed hollowpoints either- I know its the feedramp, I just haven't had time to address it.

woad_yurt
February 9, 2009, 01:57 PM
You may want to re-think using 9X18 hollowpoints. Do they really have the required energy to penetrate and expand? It's kind of borderline. I'd rather have the guaranteed penetration of the FMJ than to chance having shallowly-placed expansion.

JonF
February 9, 2009, 02:21 PM
I'm just using FMJ... this isn't for carry, just a range toy.

Coronach
February 9, 2009, 07:33 PM
Shoot it and see if it needs any modification before you do anything.

Mike

JonF
February 9, 2009, 11:24 PM
Mike, i just shot it a couple days ago and its giving me FT Feed issues. I'm going to try the new wolff springs that i just got (hi power recoil, low power hammer) to see if the feeding issues changes any. I'm hoping the higher power recoil spring will help coerce the rounds past the rough ramp area with more force.

If you enjoyed reading about "Acquired FEG PA-63 in like new condition but feed ramp is like a washboard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!