people find out you carry?

PDA

fourdeuce82d
October 1, 2003, 01:45 AM
Saw the "CCW Screw Up" post, and got me thinking. (by the way, author's "oops" sounds like a fairly innocent boo-boo to me.)

I don't make a point of telling people I carry, I don't "show off" my gun, but people that know me, like my mom, relatives, friends I've had for twenty years, know that a) I like to shoot, b) I've got a CHL. I assumed they'd connect the dots.

For the past five years, I've been carrying everytime I've seen my mom and her lefty doctor boyfriend- (and you know you're getting old when you can shrug THAT one off) dinners, plays, helping to clear out a garage, movies, day trips, all that stuff.

Last Saturday during dinner w/mom and the lefty doc , myComp-Tac twin mag holder broke (unusual- Greg Garrett makes great stuff) and I happened to notice it om the parking lot.. I said something like "well poop- one of my belt clips broke."

Doc was stunned that I was carrying. Tired to explain that I've been doing so ever since I met him- 1911/Glock in casual dress, .38 Airweight in pocket holster for formal events... He was flabbergasted.

On the one hand, I guess it's good to know I can conceal from a lefty type guy...might not work w/a cop/gang banger/whatever.

Anybody have similar experiences?

rgds,
ms

If you enjoyed reading about "people find out you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
October 1, 2003, 02:02 AM
Anybody have similar experiences?
Sorta-kinda. Awhile back, a friend of mine and I were talking, and he said he was thinking about getting his CCW.

Somewhere in the middle of the conversation, he told me, "I'm thinking I'll just carry it in my backpack, because there's no way I'd be able to conceal it under my clothes without anyone spotting it."

I kind of blinked for a moment, then asked, "Why do you say that? You planning to carry your Desert Eagle or something?" *laugh*

He said, "Mmmm, no, it's just that it seems as if it would be pretty hard, and there's no way I could keep it concealed all the time. Someone would spot it."

So I asked him. "Hey, have you ever spotted my gun?"

He said, "Well, no, but you don't wear it around me unless we're going to the range or something."

*laugh*

I had to tell him that he had never seen me without it. :D He was shocked.

pax

In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out. -- Robert Heinlein

Okiecruffler
October 1, 2003, 10:46 AM
I had one of my co-workers overhear myself and a doctor talking about our personal choices for carrying, and she was just appalled. She couldn't believe that society would trust me to carry a gun around. I just pointed to my patient, a 3 kilo little girl with a rebuilt heart dependant on a vent to breath, and with so many chest tubes that you had to look for baby. "They trust me with her." I replied. Kinda funny, we all went to the state fair last week and she came in close and whispered, "You're carrying your gun aren't you?" I said, "I am, and so's the wife." She and the wife spent the rest of the day talking about shooting the way most women talk about shoes. It may be time to invite her for a range trip. Assimilation is our salvation.

Glockster35
October 1, 2003, 12:39 PM
I was carrying openly last time I visited my mothers house, since I no longer have a CCW. I was visiting for a few weeks before I left for Germany. The purpose of the visit was to drop all of my firearms at my mothers house, while I was away.

She asked me if I felt it necessary to carry a gun everywhere I went, and then said she would prefer if I didn't carry it in her house. My father had a CCW for the 10 years before he passed, and had carried anytime they left our hometown.

I explained that I carry my gun for self protection/defense situations and the protection of my family, and those I love. We had a long discussion about firearms, and how since at the time I was a USAF Firearms Instructor, I know I am capable of handling the weapon safely. She kept telling me she wasn't comfortable around guns, mostly because she felt they were dangerous and beyond her comprehension of how to work one. I offered to teach her everything she needed to know, but she refused. Wasn't really good enough for her.

I told her that If she wanted me to take the gun off, I would rather leave and not return. I explained how I prefer to have a gun by my side, just in case something were to happen. I then told my wife, to begin packing because we were going to get a hotel room.

My mother was pretty upset that I would leave because of the gun issue. I again sat her down and told her, that as much as I love her, and my family I feel the responsibility to do what I have to do to protect my family.

She has since started dating a man who is also an avid gun owner. He took her camping a few months ago and while they were out he taught her to shoot a Glock .40 (Model 22 I think). She was telling me about it one day and how she understands how I felt about self defense. She said she was thinking of getting a gun for the house since she lives alone. While talking to her on the phone I told her to open my gun safe, take out the black Glock tupperware box, and consider it a gift. She recently bought a purse with hideaway holster system, a bedside gun safe, and also bought a belkt slide holster. She tells me that when I return to the states, she wants me to help her buy her own gun.

Rebel Gunman HK
October 1, 2003, 12:53 PM
Well here in NM I can carry concealed yet. So I carry my 1911 out in the open. Alot of the times people dont even notice. But the ones who do, dont understand. Always get asked. Why are you carring a gun? And my answer. "Cause the politions dont want me too." I cant wait to get my ccw in January though.

Edward429451
October 1, 2003, 01:02 PM
Never been made yet cept for the one time we went to a friends to play cards and one of their young'uns ran up to me to hug me and conked their head on my CW. Ouch.

An old friend from Ohio had his 1911 break loose from his shoulder holster and clunk onto the counter in Walgreens once...:what:

TonyB
October 1, 2003, 04:32 PM
We were at a friends house recently and I was looking at my buddies 22's.He says he wants something bigger for HD and I'm suggesting shotguns or maybe getting his pistol permit....his wife says to my wife"I just don't think I'd be comfortable w/ a loaded gun in the house."
My wife kind of shot me look and a smile(I always carry).....I decided not to let on that I carry.....no news is good news...:cool:

Mike Irwin
October 1, 2003, 04:50 PM
Don't really care if people find out that I carry or not...

Deepdiver
October 1, 2003, 08:02 PM
Don't really care if people find out that I carry or not...

...thats kinda how I feel. I treat it as a "need to know" kinda of thing, anyway. Only my wife and a couple of close friends (who also carry) know, and they only know because we go shooting together, and I encouraged them to get their permits.

If anyone else finds out, and doesn't like it, - I guess they will have to deal with it.

Besides, pissing off liberals is kind of a sport for me:D ! Listening to them whine is kinda like playing squat tag in an asparagus patch:D !!

spacemanspiff
October 1, 2003, 08:59 PM
my friends know i carry, but thats due to the fact that guns are a frequent topic of discussion. i do stress to them though that they are privy to such info because i am comfortable with them knowing, and dont want it announced to everyone around.

course, i dont have much of a social life anyways, but......
the few times i've been asked to disarm i've explained that there is no way for my gun to go off without my disengaging the thumb safety and engaging the grip safety and then pulling the trigger. while it is holstered it is entirely safe, and i'd rather not risk anything happening while unholstering/holstering. people seem to understand that concept.

Oracle
October 1, 2003, 10:26 PM
Most of my friends carry, so it's really only suprising when one of us isn't carrying. I was at a friend's house and was asked "where are you concealing your gun", when I said that I wasn't carrying on my person that night, I got the "are you nuts" look. Oh well, I guess my social circles are a bit different from most.

Standing Wolf
October 1, 2003, 10:34 PM
Most of my friends are surprised I carry only one gun.

DigMe
October 1, 2003, 10:44 PM
I carry an S&W Sigma .40 (until I can afford an XD) in a cheap IWB holster every time I'm out except for church (wife is generally supportive but for some reason is somewhat sensitive about packing in church - I probably will anyway when I get a suitable tuckable holster or smartcarry). I've never been made except a couple of times when my wife hugs me or puts her arm around me. She still expresses surprise for some reason. I carry around my family and hers, I carry at my Bible study and around good friends for long periods of time. Never been made. I usually wear shorts or jeans and t-shirt or button-down untucked. It really amazes me sometimes.

brad cook

Big Mike
October 2, 2003, 04:18 AM
Count me in the group that doesn't really care if people know or don't know I'm carrying. I do use discretion and carry ccw, but clothes that I wear are reflecting my ccw efforts, and if in the untimely event my shirt hikes up exposing the butt of a pistol, I print badly, or there is a huge "clunk" when I step back into a wall, oh well. It happens. HTH, Mike

CrudeGT
October 2, 2003, 04:43 AM
I'm in that I don't care, but I'm not gonna advertise it group. My friends and family all know I carry. My boss knows I keep it in my car, and I close at night, so he may not like guns but he feels good knowing his employees are safer. I do have one friend who feels the need to show my personal possessions to everyone he meets. The kind of guy who thinks it would be funny to walk into a bank and ask me if my gun is chafing me. I am trying to teach him to STFU about it. now I tell him that I don't have it with me everytime i see him. That way he'll keep his mouth shut.

but i've been in stores or something where I reach up on the top shelf and my shirt raises and the butt is exposed or something, it doesn't bother me that much. If I'm gonna rob a place, I'm not gonna walk around and shop first, and I think most people realize that, and probably think I'm a cop or something. Fine with me.

Zach S
October 2, 2003, 09:54 AM
the few times i've been asked to disarm i've explained that there is no way for my gun to go off without my disengaging the thumb safety and engaging the grip safety and then pulling the trigger. while it is holstered it is entirely safe, and i'd rather not risk anything happening while unholstering/holstering. people seem to understand that concept. Works for me too.

P95Carry
October 2, 2003, 10:09 AM
Good thread ....... well, I'm the dude who posted re the ''CCW screw up'' ..... :p ..... and have surprised a few who discovered way down the line that I'd always been packing when around them .... which I guess goes to show that good concealment works (usually!!! :D ).

Actually, I carry with pride and responsibility and if the subject crops up, say as much. Mostly this is, like with many here, in circles where shooting is a frequent subject of conversation but, also, with more lefty types too. I welcome every opportunity to try and dispel myths like ''guns are dangerous'', and ''won't you risk getting hurt''. Seems like there are many around who have the quaint notion that having a gun on one's person is some sorta ''invite'' to trouble ...... always really cracks me up that one!!

Glockster35 ....... good result re your mother ...... she seems to have seen the light.:)

Bravo11
October 2, 2003, 11:39 AM
I don't know if I've ever been made by a stranger while I was out but I'm in the "I don't care" crowd.
At work and close friends know I carry but I wouldn't try to hide the fact from someone that asked.

Skunkabilly
October 2, 2003, 11:50 AM
As far as guns, I'm more open with like-minded strangers than I am with fence-sitting friends.

Jesse H
October 2, 2003, 02:00 PM
I don't mind that my close friends know...but I make it a point to keep quiet about it around dumb loudmouths. Last thing I want to happen in case something goes down is for a dumb loudmouth to blabber,

"Hey Jesse, use your gun!"

Last week I had a brainfart and didn't leave the gun and spare mag in the car when I was getting fitted for a tux.

"Ok, now Imma need to measure your waist."

"Oh you won't need to, it's a 31."

"Ok I'm still going to have to." She reaches around me and bumps my spare mag. "Oh is this a cell phone, I'll need you to remove it."

"Um, kinda, yeah...actually it's..."

"Is this something ILLEGAL?"

"Oh no no, here." I produce my CHL

"Oh, ok then how should we do this?"

"I'll be right back."

I ended up going out to the car and leaving it there. Last time I got fitted for a suit it was in a private room, so I could just warn the guy doing the measurements. Men's Warehouse measures you in the middle of the store for everyone to see. Oh, and I was right anyways, I am a 31.

Big Mike
October 2, 2003, 02:05 PM
Jesse,

You should've left it on, that way when you wear your new tuxedo there is room for an IWB holster without making you too uncomfortable. Though I say this tongue-in-cheek, I do ensure that my trousers are a smidgen (one size) larger than my waist to accomodate an IWB holster. Mike

Jesse H
October 2, 2003, 02:33 PM
Mike,

I thought about it, but then I realized that tux's usually do not have belt loops. If they did they usually won't accomodate my 1.5" belt. If they did, my buckle is just darn ugly. :D

I'll be bellyband carrying at the wedding (not mind thank God).

Poohgyrr
October 3, 2003, 02:13 PM
Basically, only immediate family and very close friends have a hint I carry. Folks don't need to know or worry about it. I don't need someone to blurt it out at a bad time.

And yes, people often misunderstand concealment. I remember discussing this with someone who should have known better, and did not. The acid test was showing my 4" 686 in a Sparks SS-II, after he had looked closely and said I wasn't carrying. Then he also noticed two Safariland Split Sixes with reloads.

And all that gear weighed much, much less than what I carry every day at work. And that is also a lot less than what our troops carry out in the field. I make myself remember that any time I think a full size pistola weighs "too much" to carry.

Best.....

Mike Irwin
October 3, 2003, 03:11 PM
Jesse,

I'm not sure which offends me more...

The fact that the woman immediately thought you had something illegal, or that you have a 31-inch waist!

Zach S
October 3, 2003, 03:19 PM
Mike, I can carry a Kimber Polymer Stainless (BUL M5) IWB at 4:00 and still have room for my Para C7.45 LDA carried mexican at 8:00, in jeans with a 30" waist. I eat like an elephant.

I'm gonna hate it when it catches up to me though...

Mike Irwin
October 3, 2003, 03:27 PM
I eat like an elephant, and I look like an elephant.

There's a certain sychronicity in that, I guess...

Okiecruffler
October 3, 2003, 04:36 PM
I was only nine and my mommy wouldn't let me.

ARperson
October 3, 2003, 05:41 PM
I hardly ever get made carrying since mine is usually tucked inside it's respective pocket in the purse. :D

Occassionally though, when I think the situation might warrant quicker access to something, I'll carry the glock (IWB) on the strong-side hip with a suit jacket or longer shirt to cover. I'm assuming most people think cell phone or something if it prints.

But I don't really care if they know. And I usually don't mind telling people if the situation/conversation gets around to it.

I had a disagreement with a fella on another board who said it was stupid to let people know, that it gave away the element of surprise and that I'd be the first targeted in a crime spree. I had to remind him that I didn't advertise it to the world and that crimes in which the bad guys shoot first and then rob, steal, or whatever later generally had planned that out in the first place, so the fact that I carried probably wouldn't even become an issue. He kept using bank robbings as an example.

But that's another discussion! :neener:

aerod1
October 4, 2003, 12:36 AM
I carry every day. In Texas it is legal for CHL holders to carry in church. I understand our pastor owns some shotguns for bird hunting but he is a weasel and he also comes from **********. I'm not saying all **********ns are weasels...just him. I have discussed this with some guys in our church who also carry and we have agreed it is none of our pastors business if we carry in church. He is the type who wouldn't approve. This guy has never seen me without a firearm on my person and I don't think he has a clue.

Jim Hall

WESHOOT2
October 5, 2003, 08:36 AM
I was wearing a Jackass shoulder-holster with a stainless 4" Security Six; motorcycle jacket (torn at left armpit -- oops), movie theater, barrel poking from under my arm out back due to riding motorcyle; funny looks (I finally caught on when I visited men's room and happened to notice in mirror -- still gives me the chuckles).

If you enjoyed reading about "people find out you carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!