High Speed Shotgun Shot Photo

PDA

user3214
February 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/photofile-c/shotgun-shot-seq-1g.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "High Speed Shotgun Shot Photo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smithiac
February 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
Thats pretty cool

psyopspec
February 7, 2009, 04:23 PM
I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

sharkhunter2018
February 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
That's awesome.

Rmac58
February 8, 2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah, really cool, thanks.

statelineblues
February 8, 2009, 01:25 PM
Definately cool!

Any info on camera, settings, etc.? And what gauge/type of shot used?

iiibdsiil
February 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
Would be cool to see it at different distances too.

crushbup
February 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
This reminds me of something that was on the history channel last night. It had something to do with guns in general, and they had a segment where two competition skeet shooters competed against one another. During one of the 7-clay hand thrown shoots, they filmed it in high speed, and you could see the shot moving to hit the clays in midair.

SwearNoAllegiance
February 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
That is really snazzy.

DFW1911
February 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
That's cool; the "swarm" of pellets in the last photo look pretty mean!

chuckusaret
February 8, 2009, 07:04 PM
Pretty neat. Can you just picture what a 00 or 000 buck shot looks like.

wally
February 8, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'd love to see the shots repeated for the various chokes.

--wally.

microtus
February 8, 2009, 08:17 PM
Here is a slightly bigger "shotgun" video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgn1nhUEgo8)

snipe300
February 9, 2009, 03:12 PM
That 120mm is the coolest thing I've seen in a LONG time! I'm just curious as to how they managed to track all that shot with a camera?

resonance
February 10, 2009, 04:46 PM
Snipe, those pictures were produced with multiple cameras along the flight path of the shot. ;)

Eightball
February 10, 2009, 05:07 PM
What was the stats on the shot? What distances from the muzzle were all the shots taken?

And to mimic an above poster--why not repeat it at various chokes? A "picture guide" to common cartridges' expansion at the various distances/different chokes would be pretty cool.

Cannonball888
February 10, 2009, 05:15 PM
Specialy photography never ceases to amaze me when it comes to revealing the mysteries of firearms.

I recently had an MRI done on my P08 and wow...just wow

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Cannonball888/Luger.jpg

MinnMooney
February 10, 2009, 05:20 PM
That kind of photography (high-speed) must really be expensive.

I wonder if it's more affordable now with digital. At least they don't have to develope 200 prints!

Cannonball888
February 10, 2009, 05:25 PM
That kind of photography (high-speed) must really be expensive.
Not at all. It can be done with a common strobe (flash) and a simple SLR camera shutter left open (B "bulb"). Tripping the strobe can be done via a sound switch or even breaking a black trip wire.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 10, 2009, 05:31 PM
I remember when shotgun shells came out with the plastic wad hull. I remember all the advertising about how it will keep the shot together and uniform with less flyers.

Now, about 40 years later, I get to see exactly what they were talking about! When I first started shooting shotgun in the mid 60's, there was no such thing. There were several pieces of cardboard or another type of material between the shot and the charge. The shot would scrape the inside of the barrel as it was discharged.

I remember when the "Power Piston" first came out. I think Remington was the first to use the "Power Piston." I remember dissecting a Winchester shell at the time and instead of a cup to hold the shot, there was just a thin plastic sleeve that wrapped around the shot to protect the shot from scraping the barrel interior.
This is a 1967 ad:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/ggardenour/AR670052.JPG

That high-speed photo assembly in post #1 looks to be about #4 or #6 shot.

Owen
February 10, 2009, 05:53 PM
High Speed video is very expensive. High Speed photography is less expensive, but its difficult to get the timing just right.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 10, 2009, 05:58 PM
I always thought you could just sandwich foil together with a piece of paper in the middle and the contacts secured to each of the foil pieces that are not in contact with one another, but are instead separated by the paper.

The wires to the two leads coming from the two separate pieces of foil could go to the camera shutter switch.

When you shoot at the layered foil, the shot will make contact between the foil pieces and release the shutter. If it is dark enough and you have a fast enough flash, you should see the bullet, shot, or what have you, hitting the foil you have the camera aimed at.

Owen
February 10, 2009, 06:04 PM
Inspector,

the problem is getting the shutter open. The solution is to use a strobe, and leave the shutter open as a previous poster stated.

On an SLR, the shutter takes quite a while to open an close, relative to the amount of time the shot will be in the frame.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
I see, then the strobe would be a better choice as the duration would be ONLY the duration of the flash -- PERIOD!

user3214
February 10, 2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry guys, don't have any info on camera, settings etc..

blitzen
February 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
I don't know anything about taking pictures but if you did take pictures of the shot charge further from the muzzle you would see that there are pellets well to the front and pellets to the rear and flyers (deformed pellets) leaving the pattern. If you shot at a stationary target most of the shot charge would land near your point of aim. If however you were swinging your shotgun through a crossing target you would notice an elongated pattern. Not a dense circle with a few flyers. The leed pellets hit first and the following pellets are strung out as though it were the stroke of a paint brush. As we all know the harder the shot the less deformed pellets = less flyers=more pellets on target to do the work.

If you enjoyed reading about "High Speed Shotgun Shot Photo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!