New GLOCKS

PDA

Rat Robb
February 7, 2009, 09:17 PM
Anybody heard when the new 17's (along with the rest of the lineup besides the 22) are hitting the market?

Figured I oughta wait to get the latest and greatest.

Thanks

-Robb

If you enjoyed reading about "New GLOCKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
legion3
February 7, 2009, 09:29 PM
Assuming this generation is the latest and greatest, frankly a good old 2nd Generation might have been Glocks best offering.

mr2guru
February 8, 2009, 12:43 AM
Surprise.... I thought "GLOCK" was censored on THR. I guess not.

jon_in_wv
February 8, 2009, 09:58 AM
Is there a new gen coming out? What are the changes this time?

The Lone Haranguer
February 8, 2009, 10:26 AM
Is there a new gen coming out? What are the changes this time?
Grip texture (on the sides) like very coarse sandpaper, curved slide serrations. I hope the curvature is functional, because it sure is ugly. :barf:

Rat Robb
February 8, 2009, 11:27 AM
^^^

Its supposed to help according to different articles I've come across.

-Robb

DougW
February 8, 2009, 11:41 AM
I called Glock this past week and asked when the new grip frame (some ae calling the 4th gen Glocks) would be available on the G17. They said there were no plans or a timetable for the chang over. I held a new G22 (why Glock started out with that pistol is a mystery to me) and fell totally in love. I went ahead and purchased a 3rd Gen G17, but will wait for the new frame to get a G34.

aquapong
February 8, 2009, 11:44 AM
The rought textured frame or RTF, is not the 4th generation frame. It is simply an option that is available like the SF frames. The regular 3rd generation frame Glocks aren't going anywhere. Why would Glock change anything when they are so far behind in production?

onebigelf
February 8, 2009, 12:47 PM
Minor changes. I don't think any of them are a big deal. Frankly I don't put a light or lazer on mine, so Gen 1, 2, 3, 4...
I bought a Gen 3 because that was what was out. Would be equally well served with any, but heck might as well get teh latest and greatest.

John

jjspec4
February 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
I can confirm the mags are now shipping with the 4th gen ambi release point (new) as well as the left side (old) indentation. I got .45s and 9mm both with those points.

CountGlockula
February 8, 2009, 02:03 PM
I found this picture from Glock Talk, serial number ***024:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/TCrea72/DSC00444.jpg

Zach S
February 8, 2009, 09:26 PM
One thing I like about the new grip is that it would be easier to stipple. The checkering made things interesting when I stippled my previously owned G17 and my current G19. The guys behind the counter said that no one has liked the new texture, so if it goes into production across the board I think there's going to be a lot more glocks that have had a woodburning pen or soldering iron took to them.

I don't like the new serrations. IMO the old ones work as well as without looking weird.

They've been shipping the mags for the ambi release for a while, I haven't got glock mags in three or four months, but my last two G17 mags have it.

These are not the forth gen frames with the ambi mag release.

AVESguy
February 8, 2009, 10:33 PM
I handled one of the RTF Glock 22's at the SHOT show. I thought it was GREAT. I asked them when it will be coming out in other models, they said just the 22 for now, and maybe others later.

It felt just terrific to me, way better than the standard grip.

Kind of Blued
February 9, 2009, 01:02 AM
Why won't they make the spare junk in the trunk optional with replacable backstraps?!?!?!?!

jon_in_wv
February 15, 2009, 03:13 AM
Looks like a step in the wrong direction to me. I would of loved to see them contour the grip a little and maybe an optional interchangeable grip if they really wanted to make an option for it. Or better yet, maybe a little contour to that slide. The whole square thing is just a little TOO utilitarian.

ljnowell
February 15, 2009, 03:16 AM
If they wanted to improve the grip they should have shaved down that 2x4 some. A real disapointment to those of us wanting a change.

legion3
February 15, 2009, 07:11 AM
If they wanted to improve the grip they should have shaved down that 2x4 some. A real disapointment to those of us wanting a change.

Looks like a step in the wrong direction to me. I would of loved to see them contour the grip a little and maybe an optional interchangeable grip if they really wanted to make an option for it. Or better yet, maybe a little contour to that slide. The whole square thing is just a little TOO utilitarian.

Why won't they make the spare junk in the trunk optional with replacable backstraps?!?!?!?!

And to those of us who think Glock is "perfect" just the way it is and don't want "change", (I guess some of you still are looking for change we can believe in ;)) I will say that this new model would be fine except they made a fine looking gun look bad. I just can't carry an unattractive Glock. Sigh...

ljnowell
February 15, 2009, 01:22 PM
And to those of us who think Glock is "perfect" just the way it is and don't want "change", (I guess some of you still are looking for change we can believe in ) I will say that this new model would be fine except they made a fine looking gun look bad. I just can't carry an unattractive Glock. Sigh...

I love the glock that I own, and wouldnt sell it. However, the "changes" were disapointing, IMO.

jon_in_wv
February 15, 2009, 06:10 PM
The new texture is truly ugly. I hear is is optional however and you can still get the original texture as well.

aHFo3
February 15, 2009, 07:58 PM
I hope the curvature is functional, because it sure is ugly.

I agree, the serrations are ugly. As far as the functionality goes: A curved slide serration is longer than a straight slide serration, therefore there is more to grip, not that there wasn't enough to grip with the first 3 generations.

AKElroy
February 15, 2009, 08:07 PM
As a GLOCK owner & defender, I have always considered them functionally beautiful, which is to say, puposefully ugly. The new GLOCK I just saw posted is now officially to ugly to own. U G L Y. War XDm.

Geezer Glide
February 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
All but one of my Glocks are 2nd Generation. The best, in my opinion. I don't care for the finger grooves and I don't hang the ninja stuff under mine so the rail is of no use to me. My G30 is 3rd Generation but I bought it from aguy that really wanted to sell it and I couldn't pass it up.

R3dundantC
February 15, 2009, 09:02 PM
I held a new G22 (why Glock started out with that pistol is a mystery to me)

I think its because more and more police departments are going to the .40 cal and dropping the 9.

Prince Yamato
February 15, 2009, 11:09 PM
I had a chance to hold one recently. The grip actually felt thinner. Not by much, but I'd swear it was a couple millimeters different. Also, the texture of the frame is superb. It's less like sand paper and more like gripping the hard, fine bristles of a hair brush. It's quite nice. The slide is also slightly easier to rack.

legion3
February 16, 2009, 07:33 AM
I think its because more and more police departments are going to the .40 cal and dropping the 9.

Well they are the only ones who can afford the ammo :(
Especially since they don't practice that often ;)

Murphster
February 16, 2009, 08:04 AM
The nice folks at Sports World in Tulsa let me handle one. I appreciate Glocks, but have for some reason never been able to grip them well. I either don't have Austrian shaped hands or have skin that is turning to Teflon. Always had to apply rubberized sticker things to be able to hang on. Glock fixed that with the new texture. It really permitted me to get a firm grip on the pistol. I was duly impressed with the improvement.

DougW
February 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
R3, the comment about the RTF starting out in a G22 as a mystery to me is that used trade in G22's are a dime a dozen these days. Most all distributors have plenty of 2nd and 3rd gen G22's for sale in the $359 to $399 range (wholeale). Glock sells many times more 9mm G19's and G17's than they do G22's. Even a G23 with the RTF frame would make more sence to me. Just my opinion.

jon_in_wv
February 17, 2009, 03:17 PM
I understand that the Glock is a tool like any other but a pretty hammer drives nails just like an ugly one. That being said, I don't think the "new" look is working for me. I would really like to see them adopt the slide profile of the smaller 26/27 to the bigger Glocks. It not only looks better but the tapered slide does have function as well. The texture of the grip on the current models I thought was pretty smart. It had aggressive checkering on the front and backstrap and smoother sides that ride against your body. If you wanted it more aggressive a wood burner fixes that in a jiffy. I have a few M&Ps. If you want to feel a slick grip shoot an M&P compact. I like the shape much better but the texture is pretty useless. Shape also plays a role though. My HiPower has smooth grips and it fits my hand and doesn't feel slick at all. The same with my M&P fullsize. It fits your hand and feels locked in without aggressive texture. There has to be a way that Glock can come up with something better than this new stuff.

Also, the slide serrations on the M&Ps are nice looking and very positive. Several smaller curves does the job better than one big one I would think. I'm sure either way the Glocks will still be great no matter which way they go.

If you enjoyed reading about "New GLOCKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!