CZ: 75 Compact vs 2075 RAMI.

PDA

Deus Machina
February 8, 2009, 09:26 PM
Getting my tax return soon (I hope) and in the market for another carry gun, and think I narrowed it down. Held both, like both.

I already carry a S&W 469 (second-gen metal-framed compact, double-stack) so can use that for reference.

Both in 9mm. Pros/cons of each? Personal experiences? Availability of new sights?

Questions from me:
The width on both is listed at around 1 3/8". Where is this measured at? The slide or the edge of the controls? I doesn't seem like it's that much thicker than my Smith, and the width is the reason I didn't go to the M&P. My behemothly hulking five-ten, 135-pound frame just can't hide it.

The 'run what you brung' factor--will both (either?) accept the Kadet Kit? They appear based on the same frame, but I've hardly had the chance to take calipers to them.

Weight? I can't imagine a modern compact being much weightier than my reassuringly heavy Smith. But it is a minor factor, and may make me look toward the RAMI P instead of the normal one.

The safeties? I know both have solid safeties, but does either have a decocker? I'm a fan of the DA/SA, and like to carry the way is was meant to be. If I really wanted to carry cocked and locked, I'd go 1911. Solid safety and the ability to thumb the hammer down is also acceptable.

Does any model come with a bobbed hammer, or have an aftermarket one out? Nothing major, but it's a nice little accessory I might like to carry over from the Smith.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ: 75 Compact vs 2075 RAMI." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
February 8, 2009, 10:59 PM
If you like the decocker system instead of the manual safety but want a gun the size/shape of the Compact, consider a PCR Compact. And the RAMI metal frame is now available with a decocker.

Deus Machina
February 8, 2009, 11:43 PM
I don't mind a manual safety, if there's a way to safely drop the hammer above a loaded chamber with it.

I know the decocker will, but don't know if the manual safety would let it fall with a trigger pull or something.

MJZZZ
February 9, 2009, 05:13 AM
I have an alloy Rami BD, alloy P-01 and a steel satin nickel Compact. I have yet to find a holster and belt combo that makes the Compact a comfy carry gun as it's kinda heavy, but it is a fantastic range gun. It has a manual safety and it's fun, accurate and reliable, plus my Kadet kit makes for some cheap practice. The P-01 is my nightstand gun, decocker and just as accurate as the Compact. I originally bought the polymer Rami and had some problems with. I sent it back twice before I even got to fire it, manual safety problem and then the trigger spring broke. CZ replaced it with the Rami BD, it came with nightsights and 2 ten round mags. I have shot about 350 rounds and dry fired with snap caps another 600 times, then the trigger spring broke on the new one. I already bought a beautiful custom holster from Hazel Leather and was getting used to carrying the gun and then this issue comes up. It's back at CZ right now and it will get one more chance, the new trigger springs are supposed to last around 60,000 trigger pulls and I'm not going to write the gun off because of it. It is a little thicker than I like for IWB carry, but the compact frame size and accuracy has me hooked. Since I carry a spare mag and the SP-01 19 round mag fits and works in it, that is next on my list of needs. I came real close to buying a used PCR last week, as I am quickly gravitating toward decocker guns. Not that I don't like Cocked and Locked, I just don't like to train with both manual safety and non-safety guns. Mike

Pilot
February 9, 2009, 08:29 AM
I own and carry a PCR and it does accept the Kadet Kit. I have never shot the RAMI so can't comment on it. The PCR is one of the best all around guns out there.

NG VI
February 9, 2009, 11:00 AM
Another vote for the PCR, you'll get a gun the size of the Compact with distinct looks (like a scaled down 75BD, instead of a shortened 75B like the compact), with a lighter alloy frame, can use Kadet kit, and fits in P01 holsters.

Deus Machina
February 9, 2009, 02:07 PM
Okay, so the PCR's looking good.

Will need to take a trip to the local shops and see what they can get me one for. Maybe layaway.

So, making short of it--no way to drop the hammer on a normal 75 Compact or RAMI, anyway? Just the newer decocker models?

Pilot
February 9, 2009, 06:27 PM
Find a PCR on the net. Gunsamerica, Gunbroker, Auctionarms, etc and get a local FFL to do the transfer for you. Many charge just $15.

Guns and more
February 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
My Rami decocker has been flawless. I do think it's too wide for a everyday carry.

The Lone Haranguer
February 9, 2009, 08:06 PM
Manual safety models do not decock. You must do this manually.

EAJ
February 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
I have both and would also recommend the PCR for carry. :)

PhiloebeddoUSA
February 10, 2009, 11:17 AM
Own the Compact. Did not go for the Decocker model. You can drop the hammer manually with rearward hammer pull and trigger pressure.

Great pistol. Bigger than I expected and fairly heavy, but a great purchase.

good luck.

skers69
February 10, 2009, 07:39 PM
My PCR has been running well for just about 4 years now. I have not shot or even held the Rami. Good question on the Kadet kit for the Rami vs PCR. I know the PCR will accept the kit but I am not sure about the Rami. If you can try both at a range that rents guns.

MJZZZ
February 10, 2009, 09:03 PM
The Kadet kit works on the Rami but will not lock the slide back on an empty mag, it will with a different slide stop. Call CZ and they will send you a slide stop that works for free. Mike

Deus Machina
February 11, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hmmm... Gun show at the end of the month. :D

Alright, since my eyes aren't that great, I'll want to put night sights on it.

How easy is it to find sights for all these? Any standard dovetail cuts here?

armoredman
February 11, 2009, 06:02 AM
I have or have had all the models spoken of here, with the exception of the RAMI BD, but the wife wants one of those, too.
I carry a PO1 and PCR off duty, and with good leather, no issues whatsoever. I am no huge guy either, and the HBE COMMIII IWB rig carries the PO1 with ease.
As for decocking, I carried as full size steel frame Witness 40 CZ clone for 13+ years, and decocked it without incident, but you DO have to be careful. Also, the half cock notch is preferred.
The RAMI is light and easy to use, and rides in my wife's Blackhawk fanny pack. She loves it, and can shoot quite well with it. I prefer the slightly larger PCR and PO1, but the RAMI is pretty darn easy to use for me, too.
Sights are available, I believe Mepro light had some, and another company whose name escapes me right now. They can be installed by any competant gunsmith - I have a set for the wife's RAMI waiting to be put in right now.
Whichever you get, you should be happy.

CZF
February 11, 2009, 08:03 PM
Tru-dots for the RAMI.

Kadet Kit does work.
Even though I named the P-01 for CZ.

I don't really care for the Compacts over the RAMI.

If I need 14 rounds, I can just insert a compact mag.

Accuracy with most loads in the RAMI is even with the
P-01, except at longer ranges than 20 yards.

My bigger CZ75s can handle the long range tasks.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/RAMI07.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ: 75 Compact vs 2075 RAMI." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!