XD or Glock 9mm

PDA

alwayswithmyp11
February 9, 2009, 12:04 AM
My CC gun is a Kel Tec P11 and I'd like to get a larger gun for the range as I cannot go to the range with just a Kel Tec lol.

I'd like to stick with 9mm so I only have to buy one caliber I can stock up on.

I'm really looking hard at an Springfield XD-9 and Glock 17. They seem to be the most gun for the buck I can find in the $500 and less range.

Problem is I cannot make up my mind, and I'd like to hear input from people who have owned or own these guns.

Thanks for your help, and if you have a 9mm your looking to get rid of, email me at loudandlow@gmail.com

Thanks guys!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "XD or Glock 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jc650
February 9, 2009, 12:11 AM
They are both good guns. No one can tell you for sure because what is comfortable for one person may not be for another. In short handle both and decide from there. Glocks fit me well so thats what I like but those SA's are pretty good too. Good luck.

twoclones
February 9, 2009, 12:12 AM
When shopping for an auto loader, I picked up a Glock and raised it like I was going to fire it. Then did the same with an XD and that was all I had to know. For me, the XD pointed where I was looking and the Glock pointed way high.

Buy what feels good in your hand.

9mmepiphany
February 9, 2009, 01:58 AM
the grip angle is the most noticeable difference when shooting. some folks just can't get used to one or the other.

i'm actually most comfortable with the shorter Glock (19 fits my hand better) and the longer XD (tactical balances better)

additionally the XD has a mag release on both sides of the frame and i find the takedown lever easier to use. if you get the XDm model, it has the interchangeable backstraps and match barrel

louie19
February 9, 2009, 03:39 AM
Why would you be ashamed of your carry Kel-Tec? If it works for you, just bring it. Plus I would want to practice with whatever gun I carry.

That being said, if you're looking for a Glock, get a G26. It is the closest in size to your P11 and uses the same ammo. If you want a Glock you can get your pinky on, then get the G19.

With the XD, you'll introduce the grip safety which doesn't exist on your P11.

viperstarbuck
February 9, 2009, 03:46 AM
Both are great and fairly similar. It'll depend on preference on things like grip angle and grip safety. Find out which pistol fells better in your hand. I have shot both and carry the Glock, and i would take either anywhere.

possum
February 9, 2009, 08:47 PM
they are both great, really it comes down to what ever you like best. my xd has over 12000rds through it, and i couldn't be happier, i have a glock 23, and though it is a fine handgun, i would take the xd over the glock.

phantomak47
February 9, 2009, 08:49 PM
Xd XD Xd XD, compare both of them, you will pick the XD.

Quack
February 9, 2009, 08:54 PM
see if a range near you rent them & try them out. i tried to like the XD 3 different times. sold them because i like my Glocks better.

that being said, i sold most of my glocks and bought 1911s.

wow6599
February 9, 2009, 09:04 PM
IMHO, the S&W M&P9 is a better gun than a Glock or XD, and it's made in America by Americans - not in Austria or Croatia. The M&P line is the only "plastic fantastic" gun line I REALLY like. I also have a Kel-Tec P11 for my CCW, and it a darn good gun for that.

fxstchewy
February 9, 2009, 09:07 PM
I like my XD service for the range but i like my G26 for carry over the XD9 or XDSC9.

stogiegila
February 9, 2009, 09:10 PM
I started off wanting a Glock, (G19 to be exact), but once I saw the XD and felt it, and saw all the extras (i.e.grip safety, round indicator etc). I went with the XD. After shooting it for a while, I sold it for the G19. I discovered that I shot the Glock much better. The XD has a lot of muzzle flip, too much so for my liking and the Glock seemed easier to handle and I was shooting much more accurately.

I later sold the G19 for a G26, which is better suited for my daily carry. I would recommend the G19 to anyone. But if you are trying to decide between the two, I strongly recommend renting each at a range and comparing. The XD felt great in my hand, until I actually shot it. Also the G19 is a gun that can be CCW'd ( I just like the G26 better).

PhillyGlocker
February 9, 2009, 10:11 PM
Get a G19 or G26. Don't be lured away to purchase a Glock copy. Get the original.

tbraddy
February 9, 2009, 10:32 PM
The best advice given yet: try both and see which one you like the best. The same engineer designed both pistols. I have a most anal friend who just sold his Glock for an XD. He says it fits his hand better, and he feels more comfortable with it. Both are stone reliable, get the one that fits.

tbraddy
February 9, 2009, 10:34 PM
And, by all means, practice with your Kel-Tec. Know it well if it's your CCW.

onebigelf
February 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
The Glock has a history. There are plenty of years of use, plenty of examples of them shooting hundreds of thousands of rounds. Of all the things that can be said about the XD or the S&W M&P, that isn't one of them.

John

FreuderLocks
February 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
I just sold a Glock for an XD, a 9mm, and for accuracy sake (i cant say for reliability yet) I will NEVER go back. Just from my experience shooting out of the box.
FL=Sold on SA XDM

alwayswithmyp11
February 10, 2009, 01:40 AM
haha, thanks guys, the posts go

glock
xd
glock
xd

It's great. Well I took your advise and went and shot them both. I almost threw the G17, hated how it felt in my hand, but the it kicked at least 1/2 as hard as the XD9.

I did like the way the XD9 felt in my hand better, but hated the kick and my accuracy was better w/ the Glock.

Couldn't make up my mind, so I tried a Glock 19... I think that's the one!!

Now... WHO HAS A G19 FOR SALE?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hanafuda
February 10, 2009, 02:44 AM
Don't overlook the Smith M&P. Just sayin'.

WaltherPPK
February 10, 2009, 01:21 PM
Both are great guns. But, my suggestion is to try the new XDm in 9mm.

Ben86
February 10, 2009, 01:26 PM
Both are reliable and accurate and all that good stuff. The xd is more ergonomical to me though.

I've been thinking about selling my Glock 17 with its conversion kit so I can pick up a ruger p95 and 22/45 instead. I've got this thing for Rugers lately. PM me if you're interested.

CoRoMo
February 10, 2009, 01:57 PM
Very similar sitch here. My daily carry is also the P11.

My wish list has a spot for a hi-cap 9mm, and I've always wanted to fill that need with a Glock 17 because... well, it's a Glock.

I bought an XD45 to fill a different particular purpose I have.
Now that I've experienced the XD, when I go to buy a hi-cap 9mm... it will be the XDm 9mm and not the Glock.

I'll buy my wife a Glock.

hth

Freezebyte
February 10, 2009, 03:35 PM
Shot and own one. My first handgun as well. I was enamored and glazed over by the almighty "Glock" for years until I actually decided I wanted my own handgun and started researching. After holding, looking and researching both, I decided on the Springfield XDm. I was amazed at the saftey features built into it as well as the layout and design of the gun. The simple toolness field strip and the promo for two extra 19 round magazines for free was icing on the cake along with a bunch of other goodies. $570 after price matching.

Jed Carter
February 10, 2009, 07:56 PM
Both are fine pistols, however the Glock magazines are some of the best at taking a beating. For ergonomics and function you should look to the Walther P99 as well.

whited
February 10, 2009, 08:03 PM
I would get a Glock 19.

It is the single most comfortable and balanced pistol of any kind or caliber
that I have ever held and shot. In my opinion, it is a masterpiece; a best
of breed item. It points and shoots like no other. And I don't even own one.

boondockcrain
February 10, 2009, 11:27 PM
I have owned an xd40 have to say I loved it I sold it to my brother in law but he wont sell it back. I shot it heavely for 2years and it never offered to malfuction in any way. The accuracy was great. XD all the way I have a Ruger SR9 for sale if your interested

keen one
February 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
+1 for the Glock 19. (I too have the p-11 and the G17)

Captain Kyle
April 29, 2009, 02:16 AM
I love the glock 19 but I like the safety on the grip of the XD I would carry with one in the snout so this is important to me. Therefore I would go with the XD. Id rather have a glock but it doesn't seem safe enough for me to carry it concealed.:(

HippieMagic
April 29, 2009, 02:59 AM
I played around with my friend's XD-40 for a while and seriously hated it. I wasn't accurate at all with it, the grip safety annoyed the hell out of me, and the gun's frame had this little strip down the center that dug into my fingers where it wasn't cleaned off at the factory... it was a roughly finished gun but it WAS reliable.. I just bought a glock 19 and it will be here later today so I am fairly happy with my decision... I was looking for a M&P though.

LancerMW
April 29, 2009, 03:38 AM
I carry a Glock 27 and i think they are quite safe even without the back safety, if you want something with a bigger frame though id go with the G19/23 and a Glock any day over the Xd

Just One Shot
April 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
XD

That is all!
:neener:

WomenofCaliber
April 29, 2009, 01:13 PM
Glock all the way :D

Butter
April 29, 2009, 01:34 PM
I like the XDs, and like Possum, one of mine has around 11,000-12,000 rounds through it, so I don't discount the reliability of these guns. With that said, like everyone else here is saying: try before you buy.

For my take:

1) I like the XDs, but their triggers have a long reset and the bore axis is high (but no higher than a Sig's). However, they are reliable and I like the grip angle. The 5" tactical models shoot better for me.

2) Glocks, best trigger I have felt out of the box for a polymer pistol. But its the grip angle that gets me, and on the older models, the pseudo-finger grooves that I don't like. Shoots well though.

3) M&Ps, as others have noted, you should take a look at. Really nice, comfy grip and a low bore axis. But, it feels a little looser in the hand (wobbly with more play between frame and slide, unlike an XD or a Glock). Also, the trigger on mine was gritty and a little stagey originally so that it was less consistent of a trigger pull than either the XD or Glock. I also had to send it in to have the extractor tuned since it was dumping brass on my head. The good news is that S&W took care of me and it was returned quickly without a problem afterward.

Take a look and figure it out. Lots of good choices these days.

kwelz
April 29, 2009, 03:03 PM
I have found that the XD feels a bit more refined than the Glock. However both are equally reliable. I have 2 Glocks and 3 XDs. I would not get rid of any of them. Then again I love my M&P as well and lump it in with the other two guns as well.

tomaz45
April 29, 2009, 03:46 PM
Glock vs. XD... get the one that fits and points to your natural point-of-aim. I encourage all my students to stay with "quality" then "fit". Both choices are "quality" and priced very similar, so fit is the issue. By the way, a good friend, well versed in life, once noted " Anyone who doesn't like a glock has never been shot AT." Good luck and good shooting

10-Ring
April 29, 2009, 03:49 PM
Get the Glock -- more accessories available, parts easier to find & IMO, much nicer shooter

zz4camaro1980
April 29, 2009, 04:06 PM
I dont have any experience with the XD, but I have owned the same Glock 19 for 4 years now, I have put thousands of rounds through it, rarely clean it (every 300-400 rounds depending) and I have never had a single issue with it. If anything ever goes wrong with it, I will without hesitation go out and buy another one.

Norinco982lover
April 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
Whichever one feels best buddy. I have an XD9SC and an XD45C. They both feel nice:)

~Norinco

chuckusaret
April 30, 2009, 09:58 AM
When I was looking for CCW I bought a very popular weapon based on the comments/recommendations of fellow shooters. I hated it. In fact I bought three weapons before I found the perfect fit. A Springfield XD40 sub compact.

Fetus
April 30, 2009, 10:08 AM
Glock ..... I just bought a Glock 19.... worth every penny

Fetus
April 30, 2009, 10:11 AM
----------

GojuBrian
April 30, 2009, 11:00 AM
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/sanchin31/xd.jpg

:)

Col. Plink
April 30, 2009, 06:37 PM
I know no Glocks, but an XD45-T out the door for 5 bills was a shrewd buy.

Dan Crocker
April 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
I put my XD-45C in the drawer when I got my Glock 19. Both are great guns and dimensionally almost identical, but the Glock is lighter. That's why I carry it. And no, I don't feel undergunned with a nina. Spray and pray!

Confederate
April 30, 2009, 09:19 PM
I can't recommend either, as I don't feel safe leaving a Glock or an XD kicking around with a round up the snoot. I've always felt these guns need safeties—and though someone can train themselves to be safe with loaded Glocks, my first choice would be to have a cocked and locked variety. Alas, the only ones featuring these are 1911 variants, and they lack the inherent reliability of more modern pistols.

I have the S&W 5906 and like their steel frame and their trigger pulls. I also could recommend the Sig Saur. Not having a safety on a gun makes it difficult to defend in a scuffle and jacking a round into the chamber after danger manifests itself is just too much of a chore.

Check out this article (http://sleepless.blogs.com/george/2006/03/the_two_recent_.html). And this one (http://sleepless.blogs.com/george/2005/11/glock_handguns_.html). Read them carefully and then make your decision.

Cheers!

Dan Crocker
April 30, 2009, 09:27 PM
Betcha can find all kinds of people that have had NDs with 1911s, revolvers, lever action rifles...
I don't buy that the principal 'accidentally' put his gun in his gym bag. CYA!

Confederate
April 30, 2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know, but would you put your Glock into a gym bag or any other bag with stuff in it? I wouldn't. Why not put a cock and lock type manual safety on these guns? There are just so many accidental discharges and yes, it may be a result of someone doing something stupid, but humans, by their very nature, do stupid things.

Mike J
April 30, 2009, 10:06 PM
Confederate-I'm pretty sure XD offers the option of getting a safety on their pistols now. Unless I'm mistaken you can have one put on a Glock also but I'm not sure.
As far as the OP, I'm glad you went & shot both. It sounds like it helped you make an informed decision.
Personally I own an XD-40 but the times I have had a chance to shoot a Glock they seemed to shoot good for me. I believe either would be a good choice. The biggest reason I prefer the XD is I like having the grip safety.

tactikel
April 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
The XD is safer than the Glock. Check out the XDm now in 9mm (19+1) it is superior to the Glock in safety, comes with a match barrel standard, will shoot cast bullets, and IMHO has a better stock trigger.

Dan Crocker
April 30, 2009, 10:08 PM
Confederate-
Honestly, I wouldn't throw any gun loose into a bag. If it is out of your immediate control, you're just asking for trouble.
Amen to the humans doing stupid things...

Fishman777
April 30, 2009, 10:44 PM
They are both great guns.

On some days, I'd prefer the glock, on other days, I'd opt for the XD. I think that they are both accurate guns. I think that the glock is a little more reliable. It is more simple, having fewer parts. Glocks also have more after-market products. The XD has a fully supported chamber and the grip safety. It also has better ergonomics.

What is more important to you? I like both guns, a lot.

If you are talking XDm vs Glock, go with the XDm.

.357 magnum
April 30, 2009, 11:27 PM
I would buy the XD-M 9mm-Better then Both of the Above Guns-Same Price Range --

The Best to All!

Frank

sarduy
May 1, 2009, 02:54 AM
out of those two? the Glock!

other option? a 1911 ;)

doberman
May 1, 2009, 03:01 AM
Ahh hell, just get both!

Somebody had to say it.:uhoh:

:D

chuckusaret
May 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
I had both at one time, a Glock 29 and an XD40sub compact. IMO the XD is a better weapon, mine has eaten over 6,500 rounds and has never failed for any reason. I did experience a catastrophic failure of the Glock that was blamed on faulty ammo and it is no longer with us.

Guillermo
May 2, 2009, 01:26 PM
like most folks say...both are outstanding.

I own both platforms. Prefer the ergonomics of the XD. Parts are easier to get for the Glock on the off chance it breaks.

Either is a good choice.

Shoot both and pick your favorite

ojibweindian
May 2, 2009, 01:48 PM
Glocks are reliable, no doubt about that. They point like a 2x4 with a pipe strapped on, however.

And shooting lead through them is not a great idea because of the polygonal rifling of the Glock factory barrel. Why should one have to pay an extra $150+ for a replacement barrel just to run lead through a hand gun?

AKElroy
May 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
I own both, and it is a toss up, but for different reasons. I like the ergos on the XD more, and I shoot the XD better. Reliabilty is perfect for both. If aftermarket parts & upgrades are important, go Glock. The XD, especially the XDm, have most of the upgrades I have paid to improve on the Glock, so that may be a moot point. Holster availablitily DEFINATELY favors the Glock. Aftermarket parts & accessaries=Glock; Shootability=XDm (for my hands, at least).

AKElroy
May 2, 2009, 02:09 PM
And shooting lead through them is not a great idea because of the polygonal rifling of the Glock factory barrel. Why should one have to pay an extra $150+ for a replacement barrel just to run lead through a hand gun?

True enough for you handloaders out there, but it is a trade off. Poly barrels have a superior gas seal, giving a little more velocity length to length. A 4" to 4.5" poly shoots close to 5" velocity w/ a standard cut barrel allowing a more concealable package w/o a velocity compromise. The additional contact with the projectile is the same reason they tend to foul quickly w/ lead.

HippieMagic
May 2, 2009, 02:24 PM
A glock is perfectly safe in every way... If you are risking shooting yourself with an accidental discharge you shouldn't be carrying the gun with a round in the chamber. Throwing a gun in a gym bag is a seriously irresponsible thing to do in my opinion. Anyone could grab that bag and there is no reason for a gun to be in it period. If you don't have your gun on you... you shouldn't have it with you. Lock it in your car... How is it benefiting you in any way in a bag that isn't on you? Think safe... that is your best safety.

I agree with the polygonal rifling... to hand loaders it may matter but you are paying for the components why not pay for a better barrel? To most people the benefits outweigh the consequences. The majority of us don't reload anyway and even if we do we generally use jacketed bullets.

sterling7c
May 3, 2009, 05:54 AM
6 of 1 ....................

Personal choice XDm but so what? Both great guns.

Mr. Bojangles
May 3, 2009, 07:02 AM
Have you considered a Beretta 92fs? Try as many different pistols as you can and get the one that feels the best to you.

Zerodefect
May 3, 2009, 10:54 AM
Glock 19, still the best striker-fired pistol for carry. Followed by the other Glock compacts.

The G19 has: a lower bore axis than the xd, slightly smaller/lighter, more after market parts to improve the trigger or replace trigger.

The cocked indicator on the xd is no better than than the Glocks trigger position. The round in chamber indicator is no different then the new extractor on the Glock tha indicatse the same thing.

Don't over look the SR9 and the M&P.

ps. no gun should be thrown into a gym bag with a round in the pipe. Not even the safe 1911. Get a better bag and fix a kydex holster into the bag for safe carry. Do it right, not some ghetto toss it in the bag garbage.

sterling7c
May 3, 2009, 05:02 PM
Glock 19, still the best striker-fired pistol for carry. Followed by the other Glock compacts.

Adding IMHO or IMO to posts would be good (IMHO) :) :)

AKElroy
May 3, 2009, 10:30 PM
Adding IMHO or IMO to posts would be good (IMHO)

Maybe his opinion ain't humble---:)

gator1gear
May 3, 2009, 10:43 PM
Like a few people said, both are great. That being said, I owned a Glock 27 and I own an XD SC 40. XD for Me:D

Defense Minister
May 3, 2009, 10:46 PM
If I had to choose between those two, I would pick the Glock 19 simply because they are way more common and the parts and accessories more available. But, since I don't, I pick the Smith & Wesson M&P.

Guillermo
May 4, 2009, 12:07 AM
I pick the Smith & Wesson M&P

I chose the XD not because there is anything bad about the M&P just the company that makes it.

As long as they keep the Hillary Holes on their revolvers they can shove their M&P's where the sun don't shine (And sell them to Defense Minister)

sterling7c
May 4, 2009, 01:20 PM
Maybe his opinion ain't humble---

Ahhh ... the (n)ever so humble Uriah Heep syndrome huh ... :)

I can imagine Uriah's humility being 'paraphrased' into "opinions is just opinions sir and I'm too 'umble to presume that I hold any of virtue" ... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriah_Heep_(David_Copperfield)

Poor Uriah ... no free speech forums around back then :) :) :)

GLOOB
May 4, 2009, 06:53 PM
In case no one else has noticed, the OP has already answered this question. Gee whiz, the dead horse really gets a thrashing on this forum. :)

chuckusaret
May 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
If I had to choose between those two, I would pick the Glock 19 simply because they are way more common and the parts and accessories more available.

Who cares about parts, if my XD fails, I'll let Springfield make the repairs, but it is not going to fail.

Taurus_9mm
September 9, 2009, 09:42 AM
Both are good - Glocks and XDs can live happily together under the same roof.
:)

1911 Operator
September 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
My CC gun is a Kel Tec P11 and I'd like to get a larger gun for the range as I cannot go to the range with just a Kel Tec lol.

I'd like to stick with 9mm so I only have to buy one caliber I can stock up on.

I'm really looking hard at an Springfield XD-9 and Glock 17. They seem to be the most gun for the buck I can find in the $500 and less range.

Problem is I cannot make up my mind, and I'd like to hear input from people who have owned or own these guns.

Thanks for your help, and if you have a 9mm your looking to get rid of, email me at loudandlow@gmail.com

Thanks guys!!!
i had an xd, only gun i owned for less than 2 months. nothing but problems. put 700 rounds through it and it constantly had ftf's and the accuracy was horrible (and got worse the hotter the barrel got). sold it after calling springer and they said it would take 6-8 weeks to get my gun back.

i have a glock 19, great piece of machinery. combat accurate, and only 1 issue in the form of a stovepipe in several thousand rounds.

i also have m&p's, those are great guns too, at least equal to the glocks as far as reliability, and a little more accurate too.

scurtis_34471
September 9, 2009, 12:30 PM
They are both rock-solid reliable and very durable guns. Most people seem to prefer one or the other. I personally don't like the grip angle, trigger or overall feel of the Glock, but I love my XD. Others feel differently. I think it ultimately comes down to nothing more than preference and which gun points better for you.

s0nspark
September 9, 2009, 12:39 PM
My preference is for Glock ... I had an XDm 9mm that I traded up for a Glock 19. I did not care for the grip safety on the XDm, the grip itself was uncomfortable for my hand (tried all of the backstraps), and IMO the trigger on the XDm needs work out of the box.

*I* think the "m" in XDm stands for "marketing" :-p

Glocks seem to point and shoot better for me... and they are dead simple to work on too.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD or Glock 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!