does the 38 spec need a roll or taper crimp?

PDA

mwithers72
October 1, 2003, 03:08 PM
I will sone be reloading a 38 special and wanted to know if I need to put a roll or taper crimp or no crimp at all? I know that a taper crimp is manly used in a semi-auto but did have the option to purchase either when I was looking at the die options. Just dont know if I need to have one. Thats the reason that I am posting here :D

thanks

mark

If you enjoyed reading about "does the 38 spec need a roll or taper crimp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swifter
October 1, 2003, 03:14 PM
Roll. But consider a profile crimp, best of roll & taper together.
Tom

Mike Irwin
October 1, 2003, 03:47 PM
Either one will work on .38 Spl. Recoil is generally light enough in most loads that only a very moderate crimp is needed to hold the bullet in place.

Quantrill
October 1, 2003, 06:18 PM
Generally, either will do. If you are loading heavier +P type loads, you would probably be better off with the roll crimp. Quantrill

Frohickey
October 1, 2003, 06:49 PM
Roll crimp or taper crimp. Doesn't matter as long as its strong enough to hold the bullet in place after recoil. Or else you might find a revolver that won't revolve.

38Special/357Magnum headspaces at the rim.

Standing Wolf
October 1, 2003, 10:58 PM
I've recently switched from roll to taper crimps. I don't have hard data, but they feel easier to make, and I have a hunch the brass lasts longer. I'll admit I was over-crimping for awhile.

einnor1040
October 2, 2003, 11:46 AM
I roll crimp everything that doesn't headspace on the mouth of the case like a 45acp.

Mike Irwin
October 2, 2003, 05:18 PM
"I have a hunch the brass lasts longer."

Depending on the amount of roll crimp you use, the brass certainly will last longer.

Roll criming works the living hell out of the case mouth and localizes internal stresses that can quickly cause the case mouth to split.

You can get around that by annealing every few loadings, but who wants to do that?

Standing Wolf
October 2, 2003, 09:55 PM
Mike Irwin:

Thanks for confirming my hunch, eh? I've found belling case mouths as little as possible extends their lives, as well.

Mike Irwin
October 2, 2003, 11:13 PM
Yep. The less you work that case mouth, the better.

Tony Z
October 3, 2003, 12:38 PM
I have been reloading 38/357 for many years and have found the best way to crimp this case is with the Redding profile crimp die. It was recommended to me by WESHOOT2. It give's a slight Taper / Roll looking crimp. I have found that it doesn't over work the case neck, leading to long case life.

Tony Z

Here's a link to some comments on the Redding Profile Crimp Die.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=932

Poodleshooter
October 3, 2003, 03:05 PM
Profile or taper. Roll crimps are overly dependent on trim length, and trimming .38's isn't my idea of fun.

WESHOOT2
October 5, 2003, 08:07 AM
The Redding can give a gentle taper or a full-boogie roll; best.

I don't much care about case life..........

If you enjoyed reading about "does the 38 spec need a roll or taper crimp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!