Buying on Ebay

PDA

RKellogg
February 11, 2009, 07:23 AM
What do you guys , and girls , think about buying gun stuff on Ebay . I seen a few new Nikon scopes on there that look like good deals .

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying on Ebay" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
U.S.SFC_RET
February 11, 2009, 07:26 AM
Research the seller's feedback. I have done business on E-bay. Never a problem. I personally do not do business when the feedack is less than 98% and a little hesitant when its around 98.5%.

NRA_guy
February 11, 2009, 07:31 AM
I buy on eBay when I have no other good choice, but I am morally opposed to doing business that increases the wealth of the anti-gun liberals who run it.

I never had a bad experience on eBay but be careful---many things there can be bought cheaper from other sources.

eBay started as a national garage sale and most sales were from individual to individual.

Now it is mostly taken over by company sales.

redneck2
February 11, 2009, 07:33 AM
As noted, see how many total sales and how much feed back. Also, REALLY watch where the seller is physically located and their shipping costs. You can read the feedback and get a pretty good idea of what you're dealing with.

One of the big things is to sell the item at close to cost but mark the shipping way high. I saw one moderate sized item that was over $30 shipping.

I've bought over a hundred items and only had problems that weren't solved once.

moooose102
February 11, 2009, 07:43 AM
well, i have bought some stuff off from ebay. i have curtailed it for the most part since they have become anti-gun. but i do recognise that in these times, where we need to get the most bang for the buck, it is hard not to sometimes. also, just because ebay is anti-gun, many of their sellers are pro gun, which makes it even more difficult. i guess, make sure you are really getting a deal, and watch for outrageous shipping charges. i have found many times that by the time you add the shipping and handleing charges, you can buy ourtight from a local store. there are other auction sites for gun stuff also. gunbroker.com, and reloadersauction.com are two that come to my mind. reloaders auction, was put together by someone after ebay decided to become anti-gun.

Trebor
February 11, 2009, 07:48 AM
I've only bought about four items from eBay in 8 years or so.

I did just score a NIB Storm case from a private seller for $80 though. I just happened to find his auction when I was looking for a case and since he only had done four previous auctions, ever, evidently people were scared off of bidding.

Prion
February 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
I have a lot of experience buying and selling on Ebay. It used to be much better, in my opinion, when it was used more by individuals rather than companies or 'Ebay Stores'. It was more person to person. Hey, it's the capitalist way, Ebay just isn't the same though. For buyers it is still good just different, for sellers who aren't into volume and just have a few things they want to sell it's not as good. Great deals can be had and some sellers are extremely quick shippers and very nice to do business with. I can recommend Wilderness Sports for scopes. Be very careful though, read the fineprint, twice. Check the feedback and keep in mind that some companies do not honor their rebate offers if the item was bought through an unauthorized retailer on Ebay. I didn't know they were anti-gun though so that's one more reason for me to avoid it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Just One Shot
February 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
Do your research. Know what the retail price is of the item you are bidding on and never go above it. Some people get caught up in the competition of bidding and end up paying more than they would have if they had purchased it straight out.

That being said, there are some good deals on ebay but (as U.S.SFC_RET said) research the seller's feedback. Look for some one who has been doing business there for more than a couple of years. Most of these people want to have and keep a good rep.

Make sure you check out their return policies. You don't want to have a hassle if you get a product that doesn't live up to your expectations. I have purchased numerous items on Ebay and so far I have saved money over purchasing elsewhere.

I recently purchased 2 (for large handguns) in car pistol safes (with cable to wrap around seat frame) for less than $80.00 which includes shipping. I searched the net and the best price I could find elsewhere was $99.00 ea. plus shipping.

Good luck and happy bidding!

Lightninstrike
February 11, 2009, 10:08 AM
IMO, the sellers tend to make more off shipping than the price of the item itself. E-bay is not always the low cost alternative.

CoRoMo
February 11, 2009, 10:14 AM
I bought two Leupolds off of ebay at a price that nobody else could come close to.

My father and brothers buy stuff off of ebay all the time.

Flash!
February 11, 2009, 10:15 AM
You have to know your products and the prices..... a lot of retailers charge more on ebay because of the fees that ebay charges. You can frequently get better prices calling the retailer directly. But sometimes you get good deals. Last night I bought a scope mount on ebay new in box. The price was lower than I could get it for from Midway USA.

Walkalong
February 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
I have bought a couple of pairs of grips off ebay. My wife has an account. I just reimburse her. Both went smoothly. As posted, check feedback. Check photos carefully. Read the fine print and how it is worded like a lawyer would. Do not assume anything.

Phydeaux642
February 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
The current form of Ebay is just a shadow of the former auction site. It's more like a store than an auction site and I have had increasing troubles with sellers misrepresenting their products. I rarely do business there now. It's a real shame, because Ebay used to be a great site for some great deals. I'm not too wild about their 'Paypal only' rule, either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying on Ebay" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!