Best 22lr conversion kit for the AR Platform

PDA

possum
February 11, 2009, 09:12 AM
i have a bushmaster ar and want a 22 conversion kit, the best that i can get. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 22lr conversion kit for the AR Platform" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
February 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
IMHO, Spikes Dedicated Upper or Spikes Conversion kit.

possum
February 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
i will look into that thank you.

jpwilly
February 11, 2009, 05:33 PM
CMMG sold at Brownells

gvnwst
February 11, 2009, 05:35 PM
1+ on the spikes upper/conversion kit. Mine dedicated upper is uttterly reliable, and more accurate than i am.

jpwilly
February 11, 2009, 05:41 PM
A dedicated upper isn't a conversion kit it's practically a 22lr rifle minus the FCG. A drop in bolt on the other hand is a "conversion kit". So OP which one are you asking about? Dedicated uppers are also usually quite a bit more $450+ Nothing against them in the end a better 22lr AR.

possum
February 11, 2009, 07:14 PM
i would prefer to go the conversion kit route, just replace the bolt mags and etc. the cheaper route for sure, and as long as it shoots good and is relibale enough for range work i will be happy.

bratch
February 11, 2009, 07:18 PM
I have a Spikes upper thats great.

I've heard their conversion kits are good as well.

mongo4567
February 11, 2009, 08:09 PM
I have a Spikes conversion on the way. The CMMG and Ciener are basically the same in function and reliability from what I've heard, but I chose Spikes because of the chromed bolt and o-ring seals.

ArmedBear
February 11, 2009, 10:28 PM
Model 1 .22 upper here. Also a great gun. Reliable, fun, accurate.

No chromed bolt, but it's not necessary. It does like Militec, just like a regular AR. Goes for a few bricks between cleanings if I want it to, as long as I don't let it get bone-dry.

Model 1 uses the Ceiner bolt and magazine.

Holling
February 11, 2009, 11:34 PM
I had 2 CMMG kits.
Kit 1) Bolt had cracks thru the weld.
Kit 2) Chamber adaptor cracked at 700 rounds.
CMMG's replacement lasted 70 rounds.
Returned them both to Brownell's and bought one from Spikes. As soon as I get it I'll post a report.

I do have a Cieners kit with 1000's of rounds and no issues. Cieners customer service is nonexistent so if it fails, it is a throw away.

IndianaBoy
February 12, 2009, 01:12 AM
I bought a cmmg kit a few weeks ago and already have three bricks of federal bulk through it. One single FTE with federal. Mine works great.

It brings a new definition of filthy to my AR though.

Worth it, IMHO. CMMG is local to me. I don't anticipate problems, but if something breaks I am 10 minutes away.

RP88
February 12, 2009, 01:25 AM
what would the accuracy difference be between a drop-in .22lr kit and a .22lr upper? Would barrel twist with thedrop-in conversion drastically affect anything?

Eightball
February 12, 2009, 01:27 AM
Here's another vote for Spike's. If you're going to do it, get one with less issues and more bang for your buck.

jpwilly
February 12, 2009, 01:36 AM
what would the accuracy difference be between a drop-in .22lr kit and a .22lr upper? Would barrel twist with thedrop-in conversion drastically affect anything?

Yes, Actually thats a big part of it. 22 rifles are usually 1-16" (i think) Some AR's had 1-14 or 1-12" twist bbls and 22lr conversions will generally be more accurate in these. The newer 1-7" and 1-8" are too fast for 22lr. The 1-9" is still not optimal but will work.

RP88
February 12, 2009, 02:00 AM
does the higher twist my ARs have for the drop-in make the gun either not work with such a conversion, or does it mean that it just won't be as tack-driving as the dedicated uppers?

For example, I have a 16" bbl in 1x7 twist. Will it still shoot to an acceptable degree for general plinking? Or am I just asking for a waste of money and/or hurting my gun?

mr2guru
February 12, 2009, 10:27 AM
I've put several thousand rounds already through both of my CMMG conversions. No issues. Only a handful of FTE, and I'd blame that on the federal bulk pack ammo.

railroader
February 12, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have a ciener kit and I run it through a 1in9 barrel. It will shoot about inch and a half groups at 50 yards and the reliability has been great. Mark

ArmedBear
February 12, 2009, 11:05 AM
Here's another vote for Spike's. If you're going to do it, get one with less issues and more bang for your buck.

Again, my Model 1 has had no issues, they deal with Ciener, not me, and it provides even more bang for the buck.:)

RP88
February 12, 2009, 05:48 PM
what barrel twist do your ARs have with the drop-ins? Still curious on that. Sorry for asking like six times now.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
1 in 9". Again, works fine with everything, including standard loads AND, importantly, with Aguila SSS, which WON'T work in normal .22 rifles.

IndianaBoy
February 12, 2009, 09:00 PM
My drop in is running in a 1:9 upper. Unless you get into the super-fast varmint calibers... there really are very few problems with 'over spinning' a bullet.

Too fast is better than too slow.

K9-Bob
February 13, 2009, 04:39 AM
I have a Ceiner Conversion and have a Colt 14.5" barrel (Sabre A2 long flash hider installed) with a 1/12 twist. It is a very accurate and reliable setup.

The typical .22 rifle uses a 1/16 twist. Tactical Solutions makes a dedicated upper that uses the 1/16 twist barrel also.

HisDivineShadow
February 13, 2009, 06:11 AM
Spikes is the best conversion kit.

A dedicated upper is ofcourse best. Not having accuracy gets boring fast. I love being able to make sub inch groups at 50 yards.

bglz42
February 13, 2009, 09:12 AM
I love my Ciener!

possum
February 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
thanks everyone, i appreciate all the replies, i tried to get the ciener but brownells dosen't have any and midway is sold out and you back order is not avaliable. i will have to look into other options i guess like the spikes.

HisDivineShadow
February 14, 2009, 05:51 PM
Well it's far superior design for almost the same price, so you should be happy for that. Electroless nickel finish means you only need two dabs of oil in the rails, as opposed to cieners that need to be run "wet" which means they crud up quickly.

zoom6zoom
February 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
i tried to get the ciener but brownells dosen't have any
That's because they dropped it in favor of the CMMG kit... because Ciener's supply was unreliable (according to my conversations with them, I had the Ciener backordered for months, and now have the CMMG, which works great.)

R3dundantC
February 14, 2009, 06:49 PM
Anyone buy a 5.7 conmversion kit for a AR? I saw one in Shotgun News. It takes the P90 mags on top of the weapon just like the P90 does.

possum
February 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
Anyone buy a 5.7 conmversion kit for a AR? I saw one in Shotgun News. It takes the P90 mags on top of the weapon just like the P90 does.
i have not, but i have seen it and i don't know for the life of me why anyone would do that.

gvnwst
February 14, 2009, 10:47 PM

i have not, but i have seen it and i don't know for the life of me why anyone would do that.

How about cheap'ish low recoil pratice, and for those with full auto lowers, it is a full auto 5.7.......something we aren't allowed to do with the PS90. :(

IndianaBoy
February 14, 2009, 10:53 PM
My CMMG doesn't need to be run wet. I dab on militec and wipe most of it off. I have bolt guns for itty bitty groups.

The AR is fast and fun.

jpwilly
February 14, 2009, 11:34 PM
Look for the CMMG Kit from Brownells not the Ciener.

Lucky Strike
February 15, 2009, 12:07 PM
I just tried out my CMMG kit for the first time yesterday....i had FTF issues..about one or two every magazine full. I was using Blazer bulk ammo. Going to try different brands because if it's anything like my 10/22 with banana clips then i'll have to find the brand of ammo that it likes for it to function reliably.

IndianaBoy
February 15, 2009, 12:37 PM
Federal bulk ammo is my go-to reliable ammo for mine. Remington bulk ammo was terrible.

Also: the cmmg conversion is less than half the cost of the spikes. Use the extra dough for mags.

highlander 5
February 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have both a Model 1 upper and the Ciener conversion kit and found that the Model 1 using a standard DPMS lower doesn't like standard velocity ammo not enough "ompf" to recock the hammer. I have an Armalite lower that I've replaced the trigger and hammer spring and hope to try it out in the near future. Will post when I do.

zoom6zoom
February 15, 2009, 01:34 PM
My CMMG ran flawlessly with the CMP branded Aguila made .22

possum
February 16, 2009, 11:08 PM
just thought i would let everyone know that i just placed an order for a cmmg conversion kit, hope to have it before i head off to korea! i can't wait to try it out, plus i have some cats that need to be "taken care of"!

thanks for all the help and info everyone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 22lr conversion kit for the AR Platform" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!