7.62x25 tokarev pistol

PDA

tim o'hare
February 12, 2009, 02:59 PM
do we have any tokarev lovers out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x25 tokarev pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tim o'hare
February 12, 2009, 03:05 PM
are there any 7.62x25 tokarev pistol lovers out there??????? would like to hear from you........

jonnyc
February 12, 2009, 05:41 PM
About what???

tim o'hare
February 12, 2009, 07:04 PM
how about what you think of them. what you like about them ,etc.

Fat Boy
February 12, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have owned the cz52, and liked it very much. I didn't have any trouble with mine, and enjoyed shooting it. I found it to be a serviceable, reliable semi-auto handgun. Not any more than that; it is a service-type firearm, and for me was a plinker-

If you get one, I would suggest getting a replacement firing pin and other parts to replace the factory stuff- in any event, I suggest you not dry fire the gun as the firing pins are known to be a bit weak from the factory and can break.

Gord
February 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
My CZ52 kills five-gallon buckets at 100 yards all day long. Fun plinker.

whitefeather
February 12, 2009, 10:08 PM
I've got one of the TT-33's. Fugly gun. Crudely produced... but serviceable nonetheless.

The best part is that it fires a hot round that's CHEAP!!! Lots of fun at the range. I decided to give mine a face lift and fitted it with a set of 1911 grips with Colt medallions on them.

It required that I drill the grip frame to accept 1911 bushings for the grip screws. I had to quite a bit of recontouring of the grips as well. It ended up lookig a LOT like a Colt 1903 and it draws a quite a bit of attention at the range.

It's not exactly odd that it ended up looking like a 1903 though. If you look into the history of the Tokarev, you will see that several aspects of it's design were "borrowed" from the 1903.

Now if I can just smooth out the gritty trigger and tighten up the slide to frame fit a bit.

jonnyc
February 12, 2009, 10:10 PM
Great shooting round. I hate CZ52s. The grip is uncomfortable, they are top-heavy, and the triggers suck. TTs on the other hand, are fun, reliable, and accurate pistols.

woad_yurt
February 13, 2009, 08:31 AM
Just checking in as a TT33 lover, as requested. I love the thing.

Mp7
February 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
would be great if there was a carbine to go with it.

tim o'hare
February 13, 2009, 03:45 PM
i bought a chinese model 54 tokarev copy made by norinco back in 1992 . that was before bill clinton got my FFL ! but that's another story. anyway; the
norinco pistol is very well made. nice blue job &
finish is first rate. it's also got a chrome lined bore so i can safely shoot corrosive ammo out of it.
later that year i picked up a 9mm luger barrel & recoil spring for it( also chrome lined ). now i can shoot either caliber( the mags work for both).got some starline brass & gonna reload for it. speer plinkers should make it a fairly good man-stopper.

grimjaw
February 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
If the Czechs hadn't been forced to use 7.62x25 by the Soviets, I think the vz.52 might have remained a fevered dream of its designers and they'd have gone with something better.

I prefer the TT-33. While the ammo is cheap, it's a fun plinker.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2103/1782470365_74959079c2_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/grimjaw/1782470365/)

Keeterbird
February 13, 2009, 09:29 PM
I have both the Cz52 and the Tokarev. I used to love the 52 and now I lean a little toward the TT33. It is Romanian.

I have over two thousand rounds through each. They are truly fun plinkers.

My advice is to stay far down the line on an open range the cz throws the shells 25 ft. That is the biggest complaint that I have gotten, but allowing the complainer to shoot the pistol has always worked.

I love both of them.

reddog7
February 14, 2009, 12:09 AM
Have you seen this?

http://www.tokarev.com/

It is brief, but interesting background. The site owner is Vlad Tokarev (no relation to Fedor), formerly of Siberia. He currently lives near St.Paul, MN, which might as well be Siberia.

wally
February 14, 2009, 12:12 AM
I started with the CZ52 and also now lean toward the TT-33 -- much easier to disassemble and re-assemble for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo, and better sights and trigger.

At ~$140 for 1280 rounds of corrosive surplus ammo, its the best plinking available. Good fun on steel plates too!

--wally.

SJ78
February 14, 2009, 12:18 AM
I used to have a CZ 52. I was impressed on how reliable it was .
Never jammed

JohnKSa
February 14, 2009, 12:42 AM
would be great if there was a carbine to go with it.There is.

Russian PPSh-41 Semi-Automatic Rifle

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=133

Prince Yamato
February 14, 2009, 03:10 AM
I own one. I use it at the indoor range to get the fudds to clear out. It is L-O-U-D !!! It always goes bang. But it is a very crude gun.

Jon Coppenbarger
February 14, 2009, 07:40 AM
I had one like back in 95 and it was a norinco type 54. it was very fun to shoot and missed it. bought one in a local auction about two months ago and look foward to getting out and shooting it also. I paid like $220 for it but it was a brand new norinco type 54.

Teapot
March 6, 2009, 10:10 PM
I like mine. I have four of them (one Soviet) and usually shoot only one of them. When I go to the range I usually take only my first Norinco Model 54; the one in both pictures. I have a 9mm barrel and bushing for it but see no need to change spring or magazine. The 9mm casings eject onto the top of my shooting hand so pick-up is easy.

This is how my first pistol looked when I first got it:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Teapotteapot/PC270089.jpg

And this is how it looks and how I shoot it now (one of the grips kept falling off and the pin holding the flat keeper bar on it broke so I removed both grips). I prefer the slimmer profile without the grips. Some people when they shoot it move the trigger bar down causing a stoppage. I never have this problem.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Teapotteapot/P3040001.jpg

Teapot
June 8, 2009, 11:31 PM
No more Tokarev lovers? This is a pistol even the Wehrmacht used as well as the NKVD. It defeats winter clothing and level 2 and/or 3 armour. The round was used in the wild west if only rarely but it did show up in America.
The T-30 and 33 is using a German round (basically) and is well designed. Bears don't stand a chance against these steel jacketed stingers. FN Five-Seven? Why buy this when yu can have a Tokarev with Czech steel jacketed rounds flying at 1650 fps and penetrating more than you need it to penetrate?

So......any more Tokarev lovers out there?

herohog
June 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
I too had an FFL and gave it back when Klinton (Spit!) came into power. During that time, I owned and sold a bunch of the Chinese Model 54 Tokarev pistols! I even had the convertible that came in 9mm and had the 7.62x25 barrel and spring as well as .38 Super barrel and spring! Not only that, but it was two tone with a satin silver body and blue slide and a thumb rest grip FROM THE FACTORY! I would Kill to have it back... :-(

Teapot
June 9, 2009, 12:43 AM
herohog, you can always get another Tokarev. I've made sure to get in a supply of Czech ammunition and bought four Tokarevs. They are truly under rated survival/defense pistols. And they are relatively cheap.

VA27
June 9, 2009, 12:51 AM
Another vote for the TT33. A powerful round with low recoil and a loud report, it's just a fun gun to shoot!

junior geezer
June 9, 2009, 02:13 AM
i've shot the tt33 and own a cz52. pretty much in agreement with everyone else: loud and never ever a jam. the cz52 kicking empties 25ft is very true. when i worked up handloads for mine, that was how i determined my cups were about right... when my empties fell into or around he box i'd placed where the factory stuff landed.
113 lee fn gc over 7.8gr herco

karlsgunbunker
June 9, 2009, 03:48 AM
I have 3.
Polish
Romanian
Yugolslavian (New)

The Yugo's hold 9rds and use a different magazine.
I like them much better than the CZ-52.

jeffesonm
June 9, 2009, 02:15 PM
I've got one of the TT-33's. Fugly gun. Crudely produced... but serviceable nonetheless.

The best part is that it fires a hot round that's CHEAP!!! Lots of fun at the range. I decided to give mine a face lift and fitted it with a set of 1911 grips with Colt medallions on them.

It required that I drill the grip frame to accept 1911 bushings for the grip screws. I had to quite a bit of recontouring of the grips as well. It ended up lookig a LOT like a Colt 1903 and it draws a quite a bit of attention at the range.

It's not exactly odd that it ended up looking like a 1903 though. If you look into the history of the Tokarev, you will see that several aspects of it's design were "borrowed" from the 1903.

Now if I can just smooth out the gritty trigger and tighten up the slide to frame fit a bit.
Can you provide any more details or pictures on this mod? I have been looking to replace the grips in my Tokarev and would prefer not to recreate the stock brackets if there's a better way.

GBExpat
June 9, 2009, 02:47 PM
I hate CZ52s. The grip is uncomfortable, they are top-heavy, and the triggers suck. TTs on the other hand, are fun, reliable, and accurate pistols.

What jonnyc said ... almost ... I do not hate the CZ-52, but I do not particularly like it. I have 3.

I think that the TTs are a great pistol. I have 2 Polish and 3 Soviet TT-33s.

Mp7
June 14, 2009, 11:23 AM
so... does anyone own a PPsh41 in semi - as a companion?

For SHTF the round and those 2 weapons should suffice.
Lotsa high penetration ammo..... and reliable guns.

You could bury a TT at every intersection :)

Mastiff
June 15, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'm a Tok lover, I own 4, a Chinese, 2 Yugo's and a Romanian. I got a bunch of 9mm barrels and barrel bushings. The barrels only cost around $35. I converted some of the extra 9mm barrels to fire the 9x23 Winchester, the ballistic equivalent of the 357 Magnum. I can shoot 7.62x25, 9mm Luger, 9mm Largo, and 9x23 Winchester through them. I have tried 38 Super also, but I had a few jams with it. These are very strong versatile pistols.

I've seen an AK-47 adapted to take a 70 round 7.62x25 drum magazine. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

shotgunjoel
June 15, 2009, 03:25 AM
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why do people own like 4 0r 5 of the same gun? I can see owning several different 870s because there are so many different configurations, but why 4 or 5 Toks?

JohnKSa
June 15, 2009, 04:24 AM
I own multiple copies of several pistols. Here's why.

I always have an immediate supply of spare parts if something breaks.
In the very unlikely event that I have to use a pistol to shoot someone in self defense, it is likely that it will be confiscated. Having another copy means I can keep carrying/using the same kind of pistol.
I can have a carry gun and a house gun that match exactly without having to shift guns around and without impacting what kind of gun is left at home for my wife to use as a house gun.
I can practice with a pistol that's identical to my house/carry gun without having to carry/use a dirty gun for HD/SD duty or having to carry/use a different type of pistol while I'm cleaning my practice gun/etc.
Odds are good I can always sell one if I decide later on I don't need as many as I have. Odds aren't quite as good I can always buy one if I decide later I want another one. This is particularly true of surplus type pistols and pistols imported from countries that aren't completely friendly with the U.S. in diplomatic terms. The supply tends to be fluid and prices can go from extremely attractive to unreasonable in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Elvishead
June 15, 2009, 11:16 AM
February 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM #1
tim o'hare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do we have any tokarev lovers out there?

OP 2-12-09

No, but I love mt CZ52s

Mastiff
June 15, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why do people own like 4 0r 5 of the same gun? I can see owning several different 870s because there are so many different configurations, but why 4 or 5 Toks?

I carry two, one for a New York Reload. I have very small hands and can not reach the trigger on any double stack pistol. If one of those carry guns goes down I have the backups. I can also loan out one to a friend if I want to, without feeling short. I also have these Toks in several different configurations, just like your 870 example. I have the 9mm Luger, the 7.62x25, and the 9x23 Winchester, one with a compensator. I carry the two 9x23 Winchesters. The backup has the comp.
The Toks are very inexpensive right now, but I don't think it will stay that way. I expect them to increase in value. I bought my first one for $89. I haven't spent more than $229 for any of them, and I've already seen them selling for over $350.

GBExpat
June 15, 2009, 02:54 PM

I view multiples, primarily, as investments.

CZ 42
June 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
If your CZ52 doesn't jam, then either it's not a real CZ52, or you're not using real surplus ammo. lol. PS: CZ52 for sale w/ IWB holster, $200.

wally
June 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
but why 4 or 5 Toks?

Made by many different countries, collect the whole set! :)

They are cheap surplus right now, pays to have one to shot one to keep for spares, at the very least.

I don't have any trouble with my CZ 52 using the Romanian surplus ammo. I just enjoy the TT33 more, better sights, trigger and easier takedown for cleaning the corrosive gunk out of.

--wally.

shotgunjoel
June 15, 2009, 10:45 PM
Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks.

Scott7891
August 17, 2009, 03:31 PM
I own both as well. I love them both equally and each has its pros and cons.

For the CZ-52 I love the way it looks, more stability when I shoot it offhand, simple disassembly, its classic European qualities to it, and the collector value in it (one country, 200,000 made compared to the TT-33 made by many countries in the millions). I see the CZ-52 more as a range toy/collector's piece.

The TT-33 on the other hand I love the better ergonomics, slide release, larger ejection port, and Colt 1903/1911 qualities to it making it familiar to me. It is one that I would take in a life or death situation hands down over the CZ. Plus the added safety, although butt-ugly, functions well on mine and when it is in use along with the hammer safety that trigger isn't moving period. I would conceal carry it if I could.

And as already noted many times the 7.62x25 is a fantastic, sweet round and at a bargain the cheapest ammo available next to .22lr.

Col. Plink
August 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
love the round!

Got a CZ52 w/ extra pin & 9mm barrell recently; it was what I would call like-new condition for anything that old. +1 on ejecting shells! Like the original equipment thumb safety... Actually prefer the looks to the Tokarev. Got a screamin' deal off AIMsurplus.com on ammo ($.10/round!). They are a b---h to disassemble without a vice, though: very strong spring that requires extra compression to move the rollers back to remove the barrel from the slide. Very col design, though. Will very likely make this my CC weapon if I ever get to do that...

wally
August 17, 2009, 04:22 PM
so... does anyone own a PPsh41 in semi - as a companion?

I do, its a pretty cool toy but not very practical, as the extra barrel and shroud length needed to make it not be an SBR make it very front heavy.

The drum that came with it and the stick mags have given no troubles, but so far I've been unsuccessful at getting a couple of other drums I picked up for $20 each to be reliable. Plinking with the 72 round drum is very hard to beat.

For an 7.62x25 carbine what I'd really like to see would be for 57Center (maker of the AR57 5.7x28 AR15 upper) modify their upper and magazine to use the 7.62x25 -- this would rock. I'd also think a version in .22Mag would actually make more sense that the 5.7x28 does.

I know someone over on AR15 forum is trying to make a 7.62x25 AR upper using PPSh 43 mags, but seems to me the PPSh 43 stick mags are less common than the PPSh 41 ones seem to be.

--wally.

WardenWolf
August 17, 2009, 04:26 PM
I love my Romanian Tokarev. Shoots great. Very accurate, and I love the power and how it snaps perfectly back on target. I put a brake on mine, but haven't had a chance to shoot it since doing it. I just love the gun overall.

Simonovsdog
August 17, 2009, 05:14 PM
I own a Polish, Romanian, and a Chinese. Looking for a nice Yugo. Why, because I can.

ohioshooter
August 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
My CZ 52 was the first gun that I bought and I still have it after 12 years and I've never had to replace anything on it.

CornCod
August 18, 2009, 12:33 AM
My CZ-52 has been a real blessing during the "Great Pistol Ammo Shortage of 2009." I buy the corrosive stuff for a song and have been shooting it until the normal western commercial ammo becomes available again. I get perfect performance from the Sellier and Bellot. The military surplus has hard primers that require a second strike every once in a while.

Lakeshore
August 18, 2009, 12:37 PM
What's a fair price to pay for a CZ-52 in VG+ condition in the current market? Not a collector piece, just a dependable occasional shooter. See them now and then at gun shows for @ $220. Prices in the online auctions trend a bit higher, adding in shipping plus receiving FFL fee runs them up to @300.

Col. Plink
August 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
Are there modern reproductions of the PPsh41 carbine? Maybe Czech ones? I'd LOVE to have a counterpart to my CZ-52!

RX-178
August 18, 2009, 01:38 PM
Militarygunsupply.com has semi PPSh41s, and semi PPS43s.

What I really want is to see someone make a modern pistol and pistol caliber carbine for the tokarev round.

7.62x25 Kel-Tec sub-2000 anyone? 7.62x25 CX4? PX4? etc. etc. etc.

jlv08
August 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
I had a Polish M48 Tokarev and can kick myself dead in the hindparts for getting rid of it.

I also had a CZ52 and, although it shot well, it was butt fugly and had poor ergonomics.

The Tokarev (TT33) pistol is a powerful platform for the 7.62X25 round and is
well made in all variants.

The round is very powerful and I recall a story about the terrorist, Carlos the Jackal, shooting a French policeman while engaged in a floor brawl through his forehead and the round went through the second floor into the first floor.

Whether this is true or not is debateable.

It was said that he used a CZ52.

I do know that you can shoot through a car door with the round and caution should be used when shooting these pistols chambered for a submachinegun round as the 7.62X25 Tokarev.

Have a good backstop!

I'm looking to score another when I get some more "gun funds".

sonier
August 18, 2009, 02:12 PM
i love CZ-52, its ugly as heck but you know what its a fun thing to shoot. i open carry my CZ-52 its light and when on farm its fun to shoot at chipmunks and such lol

leadcounsel
August 19, 2009, 12:43 AM
This 7.62x25 is a notably hot round, and on www.theboxotruth.com it's the only handgun round to penetrate a kevlar helmet!

ijosef
August 19, 2009, 08:42 PM
Now I need to get one of these too. I wish I would've grabbed one when they were $150 on the surplus market, but couldawouldashoulda (wish I could've bought 1200 rounds of 7.62x39 milsurp when they were under $100, a nice AK when they were under $500, yadayadayadayada). I'm still going to get one, after my Glock 17, and my 1911, and... well, I just need to start shopping.

Shadow 7D
August 19, 2009, 09:11 PM
The beauty of the round is that 80 years ago they made a nice round like the .357 sig.....

And I can buy the gun and afew tins of rounds for what the nice sig or glock cost, and take it back country and drop down a steep trail and be reasonably sure that I haven't it'll still work..... It was after all built to used by a commi grunt. Oh and that new ding might help the resale value.

jn1965
August 19, 2009, 10:24 PM
Love mine. It is dead accurate at the distances I shoot it (15-30 feet) is very good at longer distances and has much less recoil than I thought it would have. It also makes a nice satisfying BANG! Unless somebody is shooting a .50 the TTC is the "WHATTHEF***DOYOUHAVETHERE?" gun on the range :what:

I use both surplus Commie stuff and the goon non-corrosive Wolf ammo.

Nikolai is a Romanian TTC made in 1953 and looks to the best of my ability like it had never been fired. It is still stiff and being broken in.
The only thing I needed to do besides clean it was to put some glow paint on the sights. I have trouble with black blade sights and indoor ranges...

I paid around $200 for it or about 1/2 my pistol budget at the last gun show which allowed me to get a new shotgun too :D

Oh and the ammo is cheap with the Romanian stuff going for under a dime a round and the Wolf stuff going for $17/50

Pix of the gun, both types of ammo, The wolf stuff is on the left, the holster, cleaning rod and 2ndmag that came with it, and the new white glowy sights :D

kbolt
August 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
pix of my tok

leadcounsel
December 31, 2009, 01:59 PM
I do know that you can shoot through a car door with the round and caution should be used when shooting these pistols chambered for a submachinegun round as the 7.62X25 Tokarev.

Anyone have opinions of the Romanian Toks at $230? Quality compared to the others?

navyretired 1
December 31, 2009, 02:56 PM
I've got 2 Romy TT type and 2 CZ 52 one of each is now 9MM and I love them all. the CZ 52 is lots of fun and is really really loud in 7.62X25. The Range Safety officer always heads in my direction when I fire either Tok caliber gun. He thought I was shooting a Thompson Center Contender with rifle caliber until he saw them.
I think the CZ is a lot more fun to shoot as its heavier and easier to control. It is definitly a 100 yd gun.
If you think the CZ52 is complicated you should take a CZ82 apart. 83 PARTS if I remember right.

Teapot
April 8, 2010, 04:29 PM
A Tokarev (Nrinco Model 54 in 7.62x25 in this case) with two spare magazines filled with Czech bxn53 steel-jacketed rounds and a box of 40 of the same on one's bedside table equal a good nights rest.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Teapotteapot/P7120085.jpg

Fastcast
April 8, 2010, 04:47 PM
Sweet pic.....Love the old time feel with the wind up alarm clock but the CD spoils it just a bit.

BTW.....To navyretired 1....The CZ82 has 56 parts, including all mag parts.

jojo200517
April 8, 2010, 05:19 PM
Does anyone make decent self defense ammo in this caliber or is it all FMJ? I don't know how this round would feed with hollow points but if that was an issue the EFMJ style bullets would be nice.

Edit: may be Romanian or Polish TT-33's are $219.99 in centerfire systems flyer i just got

Fastcast
April 8, 2010, 06:17 PM
Does anyone make decent self defense ammo in this caliber or is it all FMJ? I don't know how this round would feed with hollow points but if that was an issue the EFMJ style bullets would be nice.

Edit: may be Romanian or Polish TT-33's are $219.99 in centerfire systems flyer i just got

Wolf makes HP in 7.62x25 and most every report you hear says they function flawlessly, actually expand like they should and do very wicked things to whatever they hit. :evil:

Unfortunately they always seem to be out of stock but "coming soon".....I've had a few links saved for quite awhile but they're still coming. Apparently later, than sooner. :rolleyes:

BTW.....Reed's ammunition mixes up some sweet sounding loads and are accepting back orders.

http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=14

Mp7
April 8, 2010, 06:50 PM
i believe a glock in TT would sell.

as well as a hipoint carbine ...

Fiv3r
April 8, 2010, 07:08 PM
I absolutely adore my CZ-52. I shoot it better than any other handgun I own:D

I took it to the range a few weeks ago where a couple of guys had rented the lanes next to me. They were popping off 9mm CM from 5 yards as fast as possible for some reason:rolleyes: poppopopopopopopopopopopopopop

They stop to reload and KER-PLOW {fireball} They lean back and look at what I'm shooting. Brass casing ricocheting off the stall:p:evil: It reminded me...well, remember that scene in RoboCop when Murphy first goes to the gun range with all the cops shooting their .38's and he pulls out that monstrous burst fire?:neener:

Love that gun. Favorite for truck and out doors carry:)

Onmilo
April 9, 2010, 01:22 PM
I like my Romanian Cugir TTC a whole lot more since I got rid of the import safety.
http://www.fototime.com/59E4F935E96A35F/standard.jpg

I was to the point of getting rid of this gun until I did something about that darned safety.

gandog56
April 9, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have a CZ52. Hate the trigger, love the people's heads turning to see what the heck I'm firing at the range. Durned gun is real dependable, but is a little long and heavy for a carry weapon. Did I mention the trigger pull was atrocious?

orbitup
April 9, 2010, 09:30 PM
I had a CZ52 years ago. It was fun to take out plinking (especially at night). The gun was really big for a gun that only holds 7 rounds.

Wish I had it back though.

jojo200517
April 9, 2010, 11:17 PM
I like my Romanian Cugir TTC a whole lot more since I got rid of the import safety.

I was to the point of getting rid of this gun until I did something about that darned safety.

For someone who doesn't have one but thinks about putting it on the list of "need to get one of those" can someone elaborate about this "import safety"?

wally
April 9, 2010, 11:22 PM
For someone who doesn't have one but thinks about putting it on the list of "need to get one of those" can someone elaborate about this "import safety"?

The ones on the Chinese Toks gets in the way, but the ones on the Romanian or Polish you can just ignore them and not worry about it.

Go for it, get in on the cheap ammo fun before it all drys up.

--wally.

WardenWolf
April 9, 2010, 11:34 PM
Wolf makes HP in 7.62x25 and most every report you hear says they function flawlessly, actually expand like they should and do very wicked things to whatever they hit. :evil:

Unfortunately they always seem to be out of stock but "coming soon".....I've had a few links saved for quite awhile but they're still coming. Apparently later, than sooner. :rolleyes:

BTW.....Reed's ammunition mixes up some sweet sounding loads and are accepting back orders.

http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=14

I managed to source a box of the Wolf hollowpoints a while back. Don't remember where; I just remember they weren't cheap ($35 after shipping). I've got the first magazine loaded with Wolf hollowpoints, and the second loaded with S&B FMJ. My Tokarev is a Romanian model from 1953 that I've fitted with a compensator. Very nice, accurate pistol. I used it to qualify for my CCW.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/WardenWolf_1982/th_Tokarev-1.jpg (http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/WardenWolf_1982/Tokarev-1.jpg)

GBExpat
April 9, 2010, 11:44 PM

The "safety", as designed on the TT pistols is, apparently, the half-cock hammer position. That is not good enough for the Feds, so these pistols must be retro-fitted with a separate safety lever prior to importation to the US.

WardenWolf
April 9, 2010, 11:54 PM
I honestly do not mind the import safety on mine. It works well and I would have no issues carrying my Tokarev cocked and locked. Keep in mind that the half-cock position would act as added insurance in the event that the low-profile hammer is struck hard enough to defeat the primary cocking lugs, so there is honestly no real safety difference between this gun and a 1911 as long as the trigger block safety works reliably.

Onmilo
April 10, 2010, 01:28 AM
I will STRONGLY recommend you NOT carry any Tokarev with a chambered round whether it has a safety or not.

With the only exception possibly being the Yugoslavian made guns with the Yugoslavian retro fitted safety lever behind the grip, NONE of the import safeties block the hammer/sear/firing pin contact.
Not sure if the Yugoslavian does as I have not had the opportunity to inspect one of these yet but this safety was incorporated by the Yugoslavian authorities on issue pistols and it is one of the best designs out there from what I have gathered so far, however, NONE of the Tokarevs incorporate a firing pin lock, of this I am certain, not the commercial imports in all their variations, not even the Yugoslavian made version..

The rear mounted safety on my Chinese Tokarev had a nasty habit of engaging during the slide cycle which will stop the gun cold and I believe it contributed to the eventual breakage of the disconnector on my gun.

Drop any of these guns and chances are it will fire if the half cock safety notch shears and Tokarevs were made as combat pistols so the quality of the half cock notch may be dubious enough to make this a very real possibility.
Because there is no firing pin lock safety, carrying these pistols chamber loaded and the hammer at rest or set at half cock is even more dangerous to the shooter and bystanders.

The Tokarev has always been intended to be carried chamber empty and cycled when shooting was immediately anticipated.
The import safeties do nothing but provide a false sense of security.
This is how my pistol looked with the safety in place.
http://www.fototime.com/690184F17BE55D0/standard.jpg
This safety bound up on the magazines making them very difficult to remove and interfered with the trigger making reset a sometimes it will and sometimes it won't proposition, removing the safety solved those issues.
The slide stop was altered to clear the safety lever by milling and was apparently bent so the gun would not reliably lock back on the last shot and it also battered up the slide stop notch on the slide proper.
Recutting the stop notch and replacing the slide stop with an unaltered Chinese made version cured that issue.

The gun is now 100% reliable and quite suprisingly accurate without the goofy safety in place.
It is now one of my favorite pleasure shooting pistols. and to think, I almost dumped it as a frustrating, not worth the trouble, dog before I got rid of the keep me oh so safe safety.

Tokarevs never had a safety, adding one does not make the gun any "safer" and it certainly does not improve the reliability of what is one of the most reliable semi auto handguns ever made, in fact, these safeties hinder the guns with the only exception being that Yugo M57 safety and I believe that safety was added to allow the gun to be carried cocked and locked condition one giving the loaded handgun ten rounds immediately available, M57s have nine round magazines as opposed to the regular TT33 payload of eight in the magazine, it certainly didn't make the gun much if any safer, but it did allow a larger payload and faster immediate operation of the pistol.
The import safeties are, in my most humble opinion, a feel good abomination and the only good they serve is to allow the guns to be imported into the US bypassing the overcomplicated requirements demanded by an ill informed governing body.
While not perfect, and really, what is?,,
The unaltered Tokarev is a far better pistol than many people may realize.

Teapot
August 15, 2010, 08:09 PM
Fall or Spring day with Alumahide skinned Tok and a Winters Day in the second (I left it sitting out for 5 hours before I shot it to see if the cold would negatively affect it: it didn't).
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Teapotteapot/P3110010.jpghttp://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Teapotteapot/P3230004.jpg

PT1911
August 15, 2010, 10:27 PM
well, I just took about 5 minutes to remove the useless safety from my tt33. Perhaps it is my imagination, but it already feels better. It was MUCH easier than I expected... in other words, disassemble, slide this, and push here... the pin was so grimed with grease it didnt even try to run away like I expected.

Well, of course now there is a hole in each side of my gun... guess i may just have to experiment with some of the plugging options....

Any input?

harmon rabb
August 15, 2010, 10:39 PM
I have a romanian tokarev. Despite having the worthless import safety, it has functioned flawlessly since day 1. I have a few thousand rounds through it, without a single failure.

Meanwhile, my glock and my sig have stovepiped (once, each).

GBExpat
August 16, 2010, 10:05 AM
I recently purchased a Romanian TT-33 (with HP option) to go along with my 2 Polish and 3 Russian TTs.

I was a bit disappointed that it is finished (primarily, machining) so roughly ... I am probably spoiled by the Poles.

Next day, I ordered a Yugo Md57 (HP, also)... what the heck.

Beautiful piece! So nice that I ordered a 2nd (HP) ... and scored again.

The Yugos only came with one mag each so that is something for which I will have to keep a lookout (along with many others, I am sure).

While the standard TTs feel good in my hand (even with my pinky barely on the short grip), the Yugos with their longer grip feel GREAT!

Mastiff
August 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
CZ-52 magazines work if you dremel a magazine catch slot. See the following thread: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?163480-Yugo-M57-tokarev-alternate-magazine-option

GBExpat
August 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
I thank you for that, Mastiff :) ... aamof, I read about that last week after I received the 1st Md57 and realized how nice it was.

I have 3 CZ52s in the north gunsafe and, IIRC, they came with (at least) 2 mags apiece so I will always have that option if I suddenly feel pressured into having more than 2 Md57-capable mags.

In the meantime, I will certainly keep an eye out for reasonably-priced (hahahaha), good-condition Md57 and CZ52 mags.

Shadow 7D
August 16, 2010, 06:37 PM
best aftermarket so far is the keepshooting.com cz52 mags, wonder if he'll get around to modding them for the 57

Chris95
August 16, 2010, 09:16 PM
Well built, accurate, reliable and all around great pistol for the price.

Snowdog
August 16, 2010, 09:23 PM
I also purchased the Yugo M57 on a lark, not knowing much about them at the time, and was so pleasantly surprised that I purchased a second with the hand-pick fee.

These really fit my hands, so much better than the CZ-52 (which is why I sold mine) and the location of the safety is great. I really couldn't be happier with them.

Col. Plink
August 16, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have great fun with my CZ-52, though the trigger makes it hard to be accurate. It does make me practice better and I have been getting better on a different pistol with a much better trigger as a result. The Tok round is just amazing, I doubt I'll ever need to get into the TT-33's and such but it's great shooting stuff with my CZ-52!

Setzer77
August 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
The Tokarev was one of the most well designed, under-appreciated and ballistically mismatched pistols ever made. With proper sights and a workable trigger, the pistol would be a force to be reckoned with. As is however, the 7.62x25 cartridge (while cool) is utterly impractical in terms of general use performance. A modern up-built version designed around .357 SIG would be something to see.

Mastiff
August 17, 2010, 02:45 AM
I'm shooting 9x23 Winchester through one of my Yugo M-57's. It is the ballistic duplicate of the 357 Magnum. All it took was reaming out a 9mm Tok barrel and a 9mm barrel bushing.

GBExpat
August 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
I have a 9x19 TT-33 barrel and 2 back-spacered mags that I bought somewhere about 6-7 years ago. I may use them in the Romanian TT.

I converted on of my CZ52s to 9x19 and it handled it very well. The last time I fired it (them) was Saturday, 12Oct02 ... so it is about time I pull them out of the gunsafe again for some range work, I suppose.:)

Teapot
August 17, 2010, 10:55 AM
Any round will perform the job if the bullet is well chosen and the velocity is correct for that bullet type.
The steel jacketed fmj is good for a lot of things, it will certainly hit vitals and bone. With some of the good defensive bullets why would the 7.62x25 be "impractical"?
So many roads lead to the same destination. I wouldn't dismiss the Tokarev or it's Mauser-designed round. In fact I would go further and say it is superior to many popular cartridges out there now. The Tok round certainly has great adaptability.
Yes the round is old but I believe it is only now ready to reach it's full potential due to modern propellants and bullet construction. I still prefer the steel-jacketed rounds though- fast and hard.

Teapot
August 17, 2010, 11:03 AM
Any round will perform the job if the bullet is well chosen and the velocity is correct for that bullet type.
The steel jacketed fmj is good for a lot of things, it will certainly hit vitals and bone. With some of the good defensive bullets why would the 7.62x25 be "impractical"?
So many roads lead to the same destination. I wouldn't dismiss the Tokarev or it's Mauser-designed round. In fact I would go further and say it is superior to many popular cartridges out there now. The Tok round certainly has great adaptability.
Yes the round is old but I believe it is only now ready to reach it's full potential due to modern propellants and bullet construction.

I still prefer the steel-jacketed rounds though- fast and hard.

GBExpat
September 2, 2010, 12:00 PM
After rooting around in the north gunsafe, I discovered that I have 12(!) mags for my 3 CZ52s.

I must have purchased the extras to account for one of the pistols being converted to 9x19 ...

... so I am G2G relative to Md57 mags.

Now to get out my dremel ... :)

harmon rabb
September 2, 2010, 12:06 PM
I love my tokarev. Dead nuts reliable, and the muzzle blast scares people at the range. Can't beat that. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x25 tokarev pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!