Carry permit here: your name/add. might become accessible.

PDA

Ignition Override
February 13, 2009, 01:18 AM
Is this in the correct subject on THR?
The Memphis "Commercial Appeal", according to several letters to the editor today, might allow access to a database which would display your name and address.
A man and woman days ago just argued over tight parking spaces and the husband then went into his car to pull his handgun out and shot the other guy.
This was by a popular Italian restaurant in a generally good part of town, otherwise it would be low-profile.

If access to this permit database becomes possible, then it might be quite a prize for burglars and political opportunists.

One letter writer felt really clever to have pointed out the fact that the shooter had a carry permit, and claimed that the millions of law-abiding citizens (he referred to these words by the NRA) might not be such good people. We still don't know the specifics of why the guy felt threatened or whatever, except that he had joined the argument between his wife and a total stranger.
I have no carry permit, don't understand the issues and only have carbines (still sort of an older novice).

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry permit here: your name/add. might become accessible." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgerunner665
February 13, 2009, 01:25 AM
Personally...I don't care what they make public because anybody with 1/2 a brain can get your name an address right here on this internet (burglars and political opportunists included)

Eagles6
February 13, 2009, 01:31 AM
It's an intimidation tactic that is used by the lefties pure and simple.

Tennesseean
February 13, 2009, 05:52 AM
I'm getting pretty frustrated by these folks. I, as well as three other family members, am on this list. Do I have any possible legal recourse to defend myself from these jackals?

I'd like to talk to the author of this infringement, or at the very least his editor. I hope that he doesn't mind my insomnia; I get better telephone rates when I call at night anyways.

usmc1371
February 13, 2009, 06:44 AM
I live in portland Oregon and just had to submit a letter to the local sherif stateing I do NOT want my info becoming public record. the antis are pushing to make a public list of all the ccw holders. Personaly I do not like this one bit.

Rockwell1
February 13, 2009, 07:17 AM
There's actually a thread on this, complete with names and phone numbers of the people from The Memphis "Commercial Appeal" who are publishing perhaps you could give them a call and express your concern. Prefferably in the middle of the night.

The Lone Haranguer
February 13, 2009, 01:04 PM
Personally...I don't care what they make public because anybody with 1/2 a brain can get your name an address right here on this internet (burglars and political opportunists included)
Perhaps, but there is no sense in giving them an engraved invitation. At least make them work at it a little. ;)

The last part of your post hits on something. What possible good is served by publishing this information? I can see no reason for it except political opportunism, under the guise of "the people have a right to know."

MICHAEL T
February 13, 2009, 09:32 PM
Make it public But charge say a $ 1000 per name . This will keep newspapers from running around posting names and other nosey people.

Ridgerunner665
February 13, 2009, 09:39 PM
Here is the database...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/gunpermits/

It is fully operational but not 100% accurate...my wifes name is not on there, my Dad is not on there...along with 23 other people I know that have their HCP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry permit here: your name/add. might become accessible." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!