8mm Mauser Differences

PDA

Maxwell Gunn
February 13, 2009, 12:43 AM
I was just wondering if there were any significant differences in the German/Serbian Mauser 98 or the Yugo 24/47 and the other Mausers. Is one better than the other (quality/durability)? Or is it a rarity thing. I've found the Yugo Mausers for about $169 and the same grade German 98's are about $499.

Any clarity on this would be great.

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Mauser Differences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coloradokevin
February 13, 2009, 12:54 AM
Maxwell,

I won't claim to be a Mauser expert, and you'll surely get more detailed answers from other folks on this board. As far as I can tell the M48's weren't ever actually fielded in war... they were built, then put in storage, then became available a few years ago. They aren't quite as rare, as far as I know. Don't quote me on this, as I am merely repeating things that I've heard previously myself!

But, for whatever it is worth to mention it, I do own a Yugo M48 Mauser, and it is great gun! I felt that I got a screaming deal when I paid around $100 for my military-new Mauser about five years ago. If the gun you are looking at is in good shape, I'd certainly buy one for $169!

elktrout
February 13, 2009, 07:48 AM
I can only give you feedback about Mauser 98s. My dad has one that was custom built in the early 1950s from a barreled 98 action brought back from Europe after WWII ended. The gunsmith turned the barrel down to a sporter profile, modified the safety a little, and stocked it in English Walnut. My dad has hunted with for over 50 years now.

I love that gun. It is very worn now, but the Mauser action is still flawless. It still shoots great, typically putting 3 shots into less than 2 inches at 100 yards, which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting where he lives. I love the feel and sound of the action.

Without knowing anything about the Yugo, I would highly recommend the 98, especially if you want to customize later.

Afy
February 13, 2009, 08:24 AM
The Vz 24 has a straight bolt versus the bent bolt for the K98.
There are minor differences in the wood as well.

jr45
February 13, 2009, 08:33 AM
I own a M48 and a Russian captured K98. Both are good rifles and I feel that they are of equal quality. The wood finish is a little nicer on the K98. If you are looking for a just a shooter, I would buy the Yugo M48 or 24.

Mk VII
February 13, 2009, 09:05 AM
Think the M48 is an intermediate length action (8.500") while the 98k is a standard length (8.750")

Olympus
February 13, 2009, 09:28 AM
The Vz 24 has a straight bolt versus the bent bolt for the K98.

The VZ 24 isn't the same as the Yugo 24/47 though. But yes, the 24/47 has a straight bolt. Yugo Mausers, as someone corrected stated, are intermediate length actions while the Germans are standard length. German Mausers are almost always going to be more expensive. But some of them are Russian captures that have been rearsenaled. There are a lot of sellers that will think just because it's a German Mauser that it's worth $500. I don't know enough about the Germans to determine which are worth it and which aren't, so I stay away from them in general.

You can't go wrong with a Yugo M48 or 24/47. The 24/47 has the straight bolt but it also has a much smoother action than the M48. There is a larger supply of them so they'll generally be cheaper than an M48 also.

Also, real VZ 24 rifles are also one of the best to have. They're a litttle harder to find though. I've also heard a lot of good things about Swedish and Siamese Mausers too, but again, they'll be harder to locate.

whatnickname
February 13, 2009, 09:29 AM
Generally speaking I have found the differences negligible. Both are excellent rifles and would be extremely expensive if they were manufactured in the US today, as they required quite a bit of separate machining steps and hand work. The German Mausers made toward the end of the war do not have anywhere near the fit and finish as the rifles made prior to and during the early part of WWII. This makes sense when you think about it, as the Germans were losing the war at this point. Some folks will tell you that the late war German production is suspect as to quality because Germany was using quite a bit of slave labor at this time. I have not found this to be the case but then I haven't owned or used all that many of the late war production firearms. The one thing I have noticed about those rifles produced during the war is what appears to be chambers that are over-sized. I don't know whether or not this was due to an intentional effort on the part of the Germans or the result of dimensional variations that are often encountered with military weapons and calibers that were so widely used in so many countries. Whatever the reason, the chamber of my 8MM is quite a bit larger than my sizing die. The other issue I have noticed with military rifles and commercial rifles chambered in calibers used by the military is that you will usually encounter quite a bit of free-bore in such weapons. I have never read the reason why but I suspect that this was done in an effort to avoid the pressure problems that might be encountered in the event that someone got a hold of ammunition of the same cailber that was intended to be used in machine guns; which is usually loaded much hotter. I see quite a bit of free bore in our commercially available .308s. I suspect very strongly that this is the reason.

Coronach
February 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
The premium for the german ones is for their history and, in many cases, condition and rarity of the various manufacturer and date codes. If you're looking for a mauser shooter, get a Yugo and don't look back. If you're interested in collecting Nazi gear (or, if you're like most of us, and are trying to collect the whole set :D ), then you need to get into the german mausers. But if you're looking for a good example of the breed to go shoot, get a Yugo. In most cases they're in much better condition than the German rifles that aren't selling for four figures.

Mike

Anyname
February 13, 2009, 06:59 PM
MK VII is right. The Yugo M48 action (and bolt body) are shorter than a K-98. The rifles are good quality, but if you are buying parts and stocks you need to know the difference.

Pokyman
February 13, 2009, 07:12 PM
Not an expert on this subject, however along with different magazine lengths and straight bolts etc. even though both are large right '98's the barrel shank dia. might not be the same with German and Yugo mauser.
If you are buying a mauser intending to rebarrel and sporterize, you should keep this in mind.
The German large ring has a thread dia. 1.1". I know the Turkish 98 has a barrel shank the same dia. as the small ring (93, 95, 96, small ring 98 also known as the Mexican mauser). The Yugo could be the same way.

Duke of Doubt
February 13, 2009, 07:53 PM
The M48 did see some war, at least in Slovenia where it was used in some of the fighting around Llubliana in 1991. Other users included Croatia and Bosnia.

What do you mean by "German/Serbian Mauser 98"? Do you mean Mitchell's Mausers? Those "Mauser 98 rifles set up on German tooling in wartime Serbia" are postwar Yugoslovian M48A rifles.

Olympus
February 13, 2009, 08:01 PM
The German large ring has a thread dia. 1.1". I know the Turkish 98 has a barrel shank the same dia. as the small ring (93, 95, 96, small ring 98 also known as the Mexican mauser). The Yugo could be the same way.

You won't have to worry about this with either of the Yugo models. Yugos are large ring like the Germans. The Turk Mausers are where you run into problems. As I understand, some that were made were large ring and other were small ring. You can get a Turk Mauser for really cheap, but I try to stay away from those too.

millman
February 13, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone. Here is a link that should answer your Mauser action questions.

Millman

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html

NCsmitty
February 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
The Yugo intermediates uses the large ring barrel threads of 1.100, and uses what is called a safety breech style bolt to barrel fitting. If you change to a new barrel, an small extractor relief needs to be cut in the barrel.
Be aware that some parts are harder to come by for Yugo's such as bolts and related parts.
Basically, they are good reliable shooters and still pretty inexpensive.

NCsmitty

Duke of Doubt
February 13, 2009, 08:38 PM
Any one of those rifles you select, you are getting into a fantastic cartridge with 8mm Mauser.

Eight is great! I may only be the Duke of Doubt, but I am also the King of Eight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOqM18Bhhg

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Mauser Differences" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!