Gun Smith Cats

PDA

waynzwld
January 16, 2003, 02:04 PM
Has anyone ever seen the Japanese cartoon series "Gun Smith Cats'?
I caught it on cable the other day and was very surprised by it. Lots of guns, lots of gun play (most of it accurate), fast cars, explosions and it looked like it took a very cynical view of anti-gunners and the BATF.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Smith Cats" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sixgun_symphony
January 16, 2003, 02:20 PM
I saw it,

Good show, great pro-gun entertainment for the young people too.

Chris Rhines
January 16, 2003, 02:24 PM
Kenichi Sonoda has got to be a gunnie, he just knows way too much about the topic...

Great flick.

- Chris

Blackhawk
January 16, 2003, 02:27 PM
Get them while they're young! :D

YankeeRebel
January 16, 2003, 02:32 PM
I think the Japanese have a higher interest in guns than we believe. A few years ago my wife was the coordinator for a group of 30 Japanese college students visiting in our area. I took the leader of the group on an outing and on the way home we stopped by my favorite den of evil and fun, translation gun shop & shooting range. His eyes got big and he could not believe what he saw. He bought about twenty key rings where the chain was run through a bullet. There was excitement that he was going to be able to give these to his friends.

Later during the stay all of the students and the familys they were staying with met at the Plainsman's house and out came the shooting irons. Even the girls got involved in the shooting and seemed to really enjoy it. They were very surprised that we could have so much fun and do it without the government saying we could. None shyed away from shooting.

priv8ter
January 16, 2003, 03:00 PM
yes, Gunsmith Cat's is great. The printed comic book is even better than the 90 minute movie they made. He puts in little written ID's of each of the guns used in the strip, and Ralley is kick butt. Mr. Sonada is a big fan of firearms. But...

From what I have read in his bios, private ownership of firearms in Japan is very tough to do. He owns a few air pistols, and has a HUGE collection of replica non-functioning firearms. He loves comming to the States so he can rent and use the guns he writes about. Huge fan of the old CZ-75's.

waynzwld
January 16, 2003, 04:06 PM
priv8ter, I noticed that the CZ-75s were shown quite a few times in the show

Penman
January 16, 2003, 04:18 PM
A lot of Japanese tourists go to Hawaii, where they can rent a gun at a range. In Honolulu there are tourist newspapers printed in Japanese, and there's usually an ad for a rental range. There has always been a high interest in weapons in Japan.

Kevlarman
January 16, 2003, 04:26 PM
Gunsmith Cats is one of my favorite anime and manga! Fast cars, sexy babes, and guns guns guns! :D

And yep, Rally's favorite pistol is the *old* version CZ75!

Justin
January 16, 2003, 04:52 PM
Gunsmith Cats is one of the most watchable gun-related movies out there.
Go figure that the only person who could really lampoon both the ATF and the mayor of Chicago as a bunch of crooks would be a Japanese cartoonist.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/juzzam1/gsc.jpg

Sisco
January 16, 2003, 05:14 PM
Never saw the show, but everytime I do a search on ebay for "gunsmith" I have to enter -cats, kats in the search field to eliminate stuff I don't want.

Meowhead
January 16, 2003, 05:14 PM
IMO the anime completely sucked - the comic, however, was great. I'm also a big fan of Kenichi Sonoda's art, so that helps..

Riphalman
January 16, 2003, 05:30 PM
No doubt most of you are way too young to remember an earlier time of Japanese facination with weapons. Oh well.....that was another time. However, I've also had occasion to host Japanese students in my own home and I can tell you that their society is much more "uniform" than our own and the Japanese gov't and press tries to inspire fear and loathing of firearms in general. I had one Japanese English teacher tell me that at home, they are told that many Americans actually keep guns. He asked me if there were many people in my town who kept guns. When I replied that "yes" many people in this town keep guns, he actually shook with fear. This, from an intelligent and well educated man. At the risk of sounding like a racist, which I am not.....they don't think like us.

4v50 Gary
January 16, 2003, 05:50 PM
Yep, if you've got the range and the guns, get a bunch of western clothes, army uniforms (Vietnam, Korea, WW II and possibly Civil War), police uniforms (big agencies like Chicago PD, LAPD, NYPD, CHP, SFPD (big in name, not in spirit) & Springfield - hey, with 30 something Springfields in the country, you can't miss with that one) for them to wear and ahve their photos taken with. Learn to speak Japanese since you'll need it for safety instruction and directions. You can make $$$ as the Japanese tourists go crazy over real guns.

PATH
January 16, 2003, 07:28 PM
Sounds like a money maker!:D

hksw
January 16, 2003, 07:44 PM
FWIW, Rally Vincent prefers the original short rail CZ-75. You can see her first appearance in Riding Bean, another good short anime. RRROOOOOOOAD-A-BUSTA! Also in that anime is KS first showing of the Shelby.

twoblink
January 16, 2003, 07:46 PM
Rally Vincent rocks!

If you can get past the usual bra and panty fetish; it's a great movie to watch. Oleg and Betty have my copy..

CZ-75!!

HABU
January 16, 2003, 07:52 PM
Ok, so when and where is gunsmith cats on?:confused:

Chris Rhines
January 16, 2003, 08:03 PM
Where - your local independent DVD/video retailer. Any video store with a decent anime shelf should have it.

When - whenever you like!

- Chris

Airwolf
January 16, 2003, 08:22 PM
http://animefu.com/index.pl?lastnode_id=42&node_id=3416

Anime, girls, guns and cars. What more do you need? :evil:

dleong
January 17, 2003, 08:57 AM
In case anyone is interested:

http://pub105.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm3.showMessage?topicID=777.topic

So far, that makes four anime series (that I have seen) that feature CZ 75s in them:

1. Gunsmith Cats
2. Vandread: The Second Stage
3. You're Under Arrest (TV series, season 2)
4. Full Metal Panic

Strangely, the CZ 75s featured in all of the above series are the pre-'B' version.

Trivia question: does anyone know the serial number of Rally Vincent's CZ 75?

DL

alpo
January 17, 2003, 12:09 PM
Another good reference site for the anime:

Gunsmith Cats (http://members.aol.com/rllyvncnt/main.htm)

One omission from the site is the technical data on the VP70 used by the Russian assassin, although there is a screen capture of it in use at the Chapter 3 - High Speed Edge (http://members.aol.com/rllyvncnt/ch3a.htm) synopsis.

Lee

Croyance
January 17, 2003, 02:16 PM
So far, that makes four anime series (that I have seen) that feature CZ 75s in them
Well in Cowboy Bebop the main character, Spike Spegal, uses a Jerico 941. does that count?

ceestand
January 17, 2003, 03:07 PM
dleong, where did you see YUA?

Nightcrawler
January 17, 2003, 05:50 PM
You see a few CZ-75s throughout Cowboy Bebop, actually, though none of the main characters use them. Old style with the spur hammer, usually.

Kevlarman
January 17, 2003, 08:09 PM
Rally's gone thru many CZ75s. The one I was looking at had serial # 16001.

dleong
January 17, 2003, 10:54 PM
dleong, where did you see YUA?
I have the Region 2 Japanese DVDs of the second TV series and movie.

DL

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Smith Cats" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!