New Springfield M1A - Field Stripping

PDA

edSky
February 13, 2009, 12:31 PM
I'm a pistol guy and field-stripping 1911's and the like is nothing out of the ordinary. I just picked up my SA Loaded Standard M1A and reading the booklet that comes with it I came a cross a warning that basically says don't field strip it. If you do, bad things may happen (they say parts can be worn and the rifle may become unserviceable).

Is this true? Is it just that they are covering their butts? Or are their parts that inferior that they can't stand up to maintenance?

Being new to rifles, and the M14/M1A in particular, I don't know how much to believe. If this is modeled after a military rifle I would have thought it would be rugged.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Springfield M1A - Field Stripping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FredT
February 13, 2009, 12:49 PM
If your rifle is glass bedded, it is not wise to take the action out of the stock unless you must. This will only loosen of the bedding job over time. If not bedded, field strip it and clean it. If you need help, just ask. It is rugged and totally rebuildable.

Dave P
February 13, 2009, 01:11 PM
Fred is correct.

General Geoff
February 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah. If the stock is not bedded, by all means take it apart and put it back together as many times as you wish.

edSky
February 13, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks, all. It's not glass bedded, just a standard version.

Bwana John
February 13, 2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah. If the stock is not bedded, by all means take it apart and put it back together as many times as you wish.

Not really. The wood will compress with repeated opening and closeing the trigger group and the rifle will lose accuracy.

Ive got a GI fiberglass stock but I try to keep total field stripping to a minimum.

After use I just run a boresnake thru the barrel, toothbrush the action and put it away.

If I run a cleaning rod thru the bore (WITH GUIDE ONLY!!!) I also grease the bolt roller, bolt raceways and oprod raceways.

I also try to limit how often I pull the gas piston to ream of carbon build up (about every ~800 rounds)

30Cal
February 13, 2009, 05:30 PM
Not a big deal on a standard.

I will tell you this, though: the action is held in place only by the clamping force of the trigger group. If you pull the stock off, don't expect it to shoot well for a dozen rounds or so while it settles back in.

Here's a thousand rounds (6 months) worth of grime:
http://webpages.charter.net/tyoberg/upload/DSCN5428.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/tyoberg/upload/DSCN5420.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/tyoberg/upload/DSCN5418.JPG

Certainly nothing that would cause parts to wear excessively or fail to cycle. The spots of rust aren't a big deal to me: I never see them, and I had to replace the barrel a couple hundred rounds after this because it was worn on the inside.

I do the bore, chamber, bolt and mop off all the metal. Then I use q-tip/patch wrapped around a screwdriver to R/R as much grease as I can reach.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Springfield M1A - Field Stripping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!