avail to civs?: g36c or famas?

PDA

badbadtz560
February 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
Are these just not commercially available? the g36c just looks like gold to me.. and the famas looks interesting as well.. but I can't find these for sale anywhere.. anybody know the story on them?

If you enjoyed reading about "avail to civs?: g36c or famas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
February 13, 2009, 02:47 PM
There were supposedly a handful of FAMAS rifles brought into the U.S. in the 1980s, but any further importation was killed by the 1989 import ban. The G36 was developed after the '89 ban. H&K did import the SL8 (neutered G36) for a few years in the late 90s/early 00s, but this rifle was limited to 10-round magazines. There are folks that will convert the SL8 to a G36-clone, but this involves some serious bucks.

badbadtz560
February 13, 2009, 03:05 PM
ah.. so what you're sayin is that the famas is pretty much banned by our gvt, but the g36s are unavailable by HK's choice?

Shear_stress
February 13, 2009, 03:11 PM
Sorta. The G36 cannot be imported either, but could be brought in modified as a low-capacity "sporting rifle" and then converted in the U.S. with an appropriate number of U.S.-made parts. If H&K wanted to do this, they could. But they don't, so they don't.

MatthewVanitas
February 13, 2009, 04:36 PM
ah.. so what you're sayin is that the famas is pretty much banned by our gvt, but the g36s are unavailable by HK's choice?

The FAMAS isn't so much singled out, as a huge array of military-style rifles can't be imported because of GHWB's Executive Order that hasn't been undone. Other companies like SiG, Steyr, and FN get around that by modifying their designs, or making the receiver of the rifle in the U.S.

The problem with FAMAS is that the manufacturer is owned by the French government. Since it's not really a for-profit enterprise, it has no interest in exporting the FAMAS rifle for civilian sales, so the odds of them setting up shop in the U.S. to make US-legal models is about nil.

The only way you'd really get a FAMAS (aside from paying $10,000 for the few ones imported 20 years ago) is if some U.S. company reverse-engineers it once the patent expires, like MSAR and TPD did for the AUG.

Speaking of which, though the FAMAS is unavailable, the AUG is being made by no less than three companies currently: TPD, MSAR, and Steyr/Sabre have slightly different (and not fully compatible) variants on the market. I'm waiting to see which one seems to be doing the best, and will probably buy at the end of this year once I do an overseas stint to save up money.

http://www.doppeladler.com/downloads/stg77A2c.jpg

Quiet
February 15, 2009, 12:57 AM
The FAMAS and G36 are not importable due to them being machineguns.

A semi-auto only version of the FAMAS and G36 are not importable due to them not meeting the "sporting purpose" definition for importation.

A few semi-auto only FAMAS did make it into the USA before importation was stopped. Average price runs $10,000+ for a used one.

H&K does import the SL8 (semi-auto "sporting purpose" G36 clone). People have taken them and added US made parts [for Federal 922(r) compliance] and G36 parts to make them into semi-auto only G36 clones. Expect to pay about $2000-4000 for a clone depending on who built it and what configuration it is in.

Beagle-zebub
February 15, 2009, 01:53 AM
Didn't I see a picture on this site of a French soldier carrying some kind of M4gery, accompanied by a statement to the effect that French grunts ("euh") are allowed to buy these to use in lieu of the FAMAS, which is sufficiently bad/unpopular for this practice to be sanctioned?

Ian
February 15, 2009, 01:56 AM
The G36 is neat, but largely because it's not available. If they were in every gun store next to the ARs and AKs, I doubt there's be much hype. It's a nice rifle, but not objectively anything earth shattering.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83828&stc=1&d=1220031007

I haven't handled or shot a FAMAS, but I would suspect the same thing is true for it.

Storm
February 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
H&K does import the SL8 (semi-auto "sporting purpose" G36 clone). People have taken them and added US made parts [for Federal 922(r) compliance] and G36 parts to make them into semi-auto only G36 clones. Expect to pay about $2000-4000 for a clone depending on who built it and what configuration it is in.

Some of us are glad to leave our SL8 stock. After $2000 to $4000 spent it still won't be a G36, and if the new SL8 20 round mags work the G36 clones won't do anything that an SL8 won't do, and the SL8 will still have a warranty.

If you enjoyed reading about "avail to civs?: g36c or famas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!