Picked up the new (used) .257 AI...WOW!

PDA

Clipper
February 13, 2009, 07:37 PM
Got the FN Mauser custom sporter I laid away last month and finally got together with my Mauserphile shooting buddy to wring it out a bit. He was impressed with the rifle and price, and the bore scope showed an excellent barrel. I had a box of Winchester 117gr+P roberts ammo, and we proceded to work the scope in. At 30 yards, standing with my left elbow supported on the winch tower of a boat trailer, it was one-holing. moving back to 100 yards, and using my left forearm for a cushion on his deck rail, and laying my right elbow on the rail, we were shooting 1"-1 1/2"! I can't wait for warmer weather and the Remington rest to see how good it will really do. This $425.00 rifle already impresses me way more than my M-70 featherweight ever did. The barrel is a 21" #1 contour, and the gun is pretty light, just how I like 'em. I always liked the Roberts, ever since I started Deer hunting with my dad's Remington 722. I'm sure I'm gonna like this one even more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up the new (used) .257 AI...WOW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
husker
February 13, 2009, 07:40 PM
nice rifle

ken22250
February 13, 2009, 08:35 PM
looks like a nice rifle, i hope it does as well for you at 100 as it did at 30, good luck.
ken

Clipper
February 14, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to an opportunity to get it on a proper bench with some good handloads. My dad's 722 would shoot 3/4" groups, and I think this one will do as good or better. I don't know how this baby wound up in a used rack, but I know it won't see another in my lifetime...

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up the new (used) .257 AI...WOW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!