Tennessee "Poor Boy"

PDA

Wolfebyte
February 13, 2009, 11:42 PM
This may be the wrong place to post this, and if so, forgive me..

I've been doing some research on family history, and have a set of interesting relatives that settled Bean Station, TN.. Couple of my ancestors were part of the Over the Mountain Men.

Apparently they produced a "poor boy" rifle that was a working man's trade rifle called the Bean/Beene/Been Rifle. (Ancestors were William and John Bean)

I'd like to obtain/build a period rifle (read: replica) just for family history purposes ..

Who is an affordable outlet for a Tennessee Poor Boy Rifle. 50 to 54 caliber flintlock is what I'm looking for..

If you enjoyed reading about "Tennessee "Poor Boy"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokin_Gun
February 14, 2009, 12:06 AM
Dixie Gun Works may still sell them, and they had kits also...for a better pic try there...
Here's mine a left handed .50 with 8" removed from the barrel.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/06-30-08_1623.jpg

SG

BHP FAN
February 14, 2009, 12:47 AM
those were neat.I had one in .45.Traditions has a similar one you see in the Sportsman's Guide,but they only come in .50.

aprayinbear
February 14, 2009, 01:57 AM
Wolfebyte,

Check out the guns at Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders. http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/Finished-Appalachian%20Barn%20Rifle.htm They have some great kits that would certainly "fill the bill." And the cost is about the best around for a "semi-custom gun." Much of the work has been done for you but there is still a lot of hand work to complete (including inletting the lock), but anyone with a modicum of skill should be able to produce a fine rifle. The Bean style rifle costs $499 (with double set trigger and large Siler lock) , but the similar "poor boys" cost around $350. They also sell a similar complete custom made "Appalachian style Barn rifle" for $599. Seems they sell both 50 and 54 caliber models.

I've never dealt with these folks, but have been considering one of their kits for my next build.

Good Luck and Happy Shooting.

arcticap
February 14, 2009, 04:31 AM
TVM (Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading) has a "golden" reputation for making quality guns at a decent price, and they also offer very high quality kits at a considerable savings.
I'm relatively certain that they have produced many more guns and have many more satisfied customers nationwide than Sitting Fox because they've been around for a long time.
I would check out TVM first for the type of rifle that you're looking for.

http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

http://www.avsia.com/tvm/tennessee.htm

arcticap
February 14, 2009, 04:32 AM
:) edit

Wolfebyte
February 14, 2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys..!

This will give me some places to start looking..

Next step.. convince the wife that it's an investment in history....

Mike OTDP
February 14, 2009, 10:59 AM
Try Track of the Wolf at www.trackofthewolf.com

They have a good selection of custom guns...good turnover, too.

4v50 Gary
February 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
There's a three volume set of books on the Southern Iron Mounted Rifle. The author's name escapes me know but you may want to find them through inter-library loan. They'll tell you more about that genre of rifle. You might also want to contact the various museums and see if they've got any examples. Not all iron mounted rifles were alike.

redrock
February 19, 2009, 02:21 AM
I would check out TVM Mat Avance. I have one in .50 Cal. nice rifle. I would make sure to order one with an English style lock. Many of these are made with Siler locks. The Siler lock is a Germanic style and it is just not correct on Southern Rifles.
I know some will disagree on the lock question. If so post a picture of an orginal southern or East Tenn. with a Germanic lock. I would all so look at a "Swamped" barrel.:)

redrock
February 19, 2009, 02:23 AM
I would check out TVM Mat Avance. I have one in .50 Cal. nice rifle. I would make sure to order one with an English style lock. Many of these are made with Siler locks. The Siler lock is a Germanic style is just not correct on Southern Rifles.
I know some will disagree on the lock question. If so post a picture of an orginal southern or East Tenn. with a Germanic lock. I would all so look at a "Swamped" barrel.:)

BHP FAN
February 19, 2009, 04:24 AM
What's the deal with the swamped barrel,Red?

mykeal
February 19, 2009, 06:43 AM
A swamped barrel is one that is tapered from wide at the breech to narrow midway down and then back out at the muzzle. It's lighter and better balanced than either a fully tapered or straight barrel so it points easier, more 'naturally'. It's also a nicer looking, more elegant rifle for a long rifle. Most long rifles had swamped barrels in the 1800's.

Loyalist Dave
February 20, 2009, 06:28 PM
AND it's alot more comfortable being carried as you walk the woods!! :D WARNING once you do a swamped barrel, you'll never go back to straight!

Matt Avance at TVM or Cabin Creek Muzzleloading is where I'd spend my money.

LD

If you enjoyed reading about "Tennessee "Poor Boy"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!