The New Sig 522

PDA

gotime242
February 14, 2009, 11:38 AM
---This is probably a re-post, if so im sorry---

The Look and Feel of the Classic SIG556 in Affordable .22 Rifle SIG SAUER, Inc., the leading manufacturer of commercial, law enforcement, and military firearms fuels the demand for the legendary SIG556 performance but in an affordable .22 LR caliber with the new SIG522 semi-automatic rifle. Featuring SIG556 parts including a Swiss type folding stock and polymer forend on a durable metal receiver with integral Picatinny rail, and a Mini Red Dot sight. The SIG522 provides the avid sport shooter plenty of action on a classic military style platform that give the look, feel and dependability of our full size SIG556."

$450 MAP delivery June 2009

Overall Length: 29.8 in
length w/Stock Collapsed: 29.1
Barrel Length: 17 in
Rifling: 1 in 7 in
Sight Radius: 14.4 in

http://lundestudio.com/2009SHOTShow/Day2/2009shotshow-01162009-027.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/picture-6-21.png

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/SIG522LR-detail2.jpg

Anyone order one of these? They look pretty awsome, kind of like the gsg-5. Also S&W is also coming with the new M&P 15-22 .
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/swrifle-large.gif

Looks like 22s are comin back!

If you enjoyed reading about "The New Sig 522" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RedAlert
February 14, 2009, 11:42 AM
That's a lot of money for a .22LR semi-auto rifle wrapped in current rails etc.

Why not just a cheaper Ruger 10-22 or some other brand of semi-auto .22LR rifle? I bet at half the price too.

SoCalShooter
February 14, 2009, 01:01 PM
I am looking for one also but I cant seem to find them.

TexasRifleman
February 14, 2009, 01:02 PM
I am looking for one also but I cant seem to find the

Not shipping yet, not even sure if they are orderable yet. They say June 09, but who knows. So many things get announced at SHOT then take forever to actually hit the market.

One magazine had April delivery in their article, another June.

I asked my dealer about ordering and they said it didn't show as orderable yet, that was maybe 2 weeks ago.

The Sig Forum guys are all still saying April/May.

IndianaBoy
February 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
I really hope this rifle will run better than the Mosquito debacle.

I bought a CMMG conversion for my AR that runs absolutely great. The AR platform lends itself to aimed rapid fire much better than the 10/22 IMHO. I am not a fan of the 556 ergonomics, but there is something to be said for 22lr for training in the same platform as your EBR.

This fills a totally different niche than a 10/22 or a marlin. I will never take my AR conversion squirrel hunting. I don't shoot racks of steel plates with my marlin.

556 fans will love them if the gun runs well, I predict.

nwilliams
February 14, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'll buy one if they start getting good reviews.

I have the 556 and I love it, the 522 would make a fun companion for it. $450 seems like a fair price, it's less than a GSG-5 and I think my GSG-5 was worth every penny.

A 10/22 is a fine gun but just like the GSG-5 you wouldn't buy a 522 because it's better than a 10/22, you'd buy it because it's completely different.

C5Cruiser
February 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
How cool is that!?!
I'm a follower of Sig Sauer and this is the first I've heard of it.
I'll have to look into it but you can be sure that it's a darn good rifle.
Nice find. :D

gripper
February 14, 2009, 04:51 PM
1in 7 twist???That IS a pretty fast twist for a .22....any here thnk it would function/feed with the 60 grain Agulia stuff????

SpeedAKL
February 14, 2009, 11:03 PM
That's pretty sweet, I'd definitely be interested

Kind of Blued
February 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
I'd like both please.

DHJenkins
June 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
Since I'd rather revive an old thread than start a new one - are these available yet?

P.B.Walsh
June 22, 2009, 12:24 PM
Really, what's up with the 1:7 twist, shouldn't be 1:12 or 1:16??

6x6pinz
June 25, 2009, 07:16 PM
Still waiting, last official word I have seen was mid to late '09.

John Parker
June 25, 2009, 08:07 PM
What a hunk of junk!

She'll make point five past lightspeed.

wired
December 25, 2009, 01:19 AM
I bought one. It is better than a 10/22 . It has factory high capacity magazines. It is a no nonsense blowback .22 with a quality receiver and bolt. It has an absolutely excellent 1/2x28 threaded all steel barrel, comfortable furniture and a rock solid folding stock. I ran 70 rounds through it today of various types of ammo. No misfires and no faliures to feed even with subsonic ammo and a silencer attached and its 1/2" at 50 yards accurate. Its a better alla round gun than the 10/22.

Avenger29
December 25, 2009, 01:35 AM
I've got a question- does SIG actually make it or is it a deal where they have somebody like Umarex (ick) make it?

R.U. Heeled
December 25, 2009, 01:36 AM
Nice gun........kid's caliber.

Avenger29
December 25, 2009, 01:43 AM
Nice gun........kid's caliber.

I do believe you are wrong about that.

DarkswordDX
December 26, 2009, 01:39 AM
Theyre available. We have two of em sitting on the shelf in the gun shop.

My impressions are as follows:

The controls are the best part. True bolt hold open, ambidextrous safety and magazine release, folding and collapsing stock like the 556 Classic. It shoulders well and just feels great.

Cons: Comes with NO SIGHTS OF ANY KIND. Or at least the two we got didn't. No Sig red dot. Not even some cheap irons - just bare rails. There is a little plastic "faux" gas valve on the front like on a 556. It's not attached to the weapon. It just sits in a hole in the forestock and will pop out (at rather high speed) with just a little bit of pulling. I almost lost one getting it ready for display.

They've caught a lot of eyes in the week or so we've had them, but no takers or customer reviews yet.

rogertc1
December 26, 2009, 07:01 AM
Cute little 22 rifle with a folding stock.

Uncle Mike
December 26, 2009, 09:58 AM
They've caught a lot of eyes in the week or so we've had them, but no takers or customer reviews yet.

Same here! getting a lot of raised eyebrows, but no sales yet.

heavy, tall, clunky, expensive, a monster to disassemble....what's not to like about it? lol Plus the mall yuppie ninja tacticool crowd slobbers all over the display, and I have to clean it up! lol hehehe

Seriously though, they look pretty cool!

WoofersInc
December 26, 2009, 03:21 PM
I got one about a week ago. I took it to the range and really wrung it out. I tried at least 7 different varieties of ammo in it. All fed and ejected without any issues. I also ran it with a suppressor and Remington subsonics in it. Functioned 100%. All told now I have over 500 rounds through it and have not had a failure yet.
It looks like someone has finally figured out how to make a 22 that runs right out of the box.

rangerruck
December 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
Selling the sigs like crazy in Texas right now.
If you can call ajc sportshop, or pawnshop near Dallas right now; you can get he sig for

are you ready???
399 plus tax!!!! you read that right, the guy is blowing them out, he either has them priced wrong, or got a super deal on them, becuase other dealers I have talked to , say this is below cost. Well , my boss has a sales receipt to prove it. 432 was the total with tax!!!!
and believe me folks, it is the best, it is the most solid, best made, best fit and finish, rock solid folding stock-- my boss could barely lock/close the darn thing.
the mags also will fit all other 22/ar types, except for colt and smith, they do a proprietary mag thing, so ytou have to buy theirs.

it is made by sig, it has built in stuff allready for sling swivels, and once broken in, can fire the massive Aguila sss 60 grain rounds, with that twist. not sure how the mag handles them though, we didn't really test the mags out , with these rounds.

mljdeckard
December 26, 2009, 11:09 PM
I think they will be as popular as the full-size rifle has legs. I think it remains to be seen if the SIG 556 takes hold for the long-term.

The AR uppers already have a fan base. I'm in the process of getting an AR .22 upper just to be able to use it to train up for rifle qual twice a year.

tincanhunter
December 27, 2009, 12:14 AM
My pop just picked up a 522. So far he's run about 400 rounds through it w/o a single hiccup. We went shooting today and I got to take a look and a few shots also. To me the 522 is a "plastic gun" that isn't quite as tight as I'm used to, stock twist not as tight, mag has some slop when locked in...it is what it is. That aside it is one accurate little devil. With the Sig red dot sight, dancing empty shotshells at 35 yds wasn't a problem. I can see where the 522 will become quite popular, especially with some of the issues I've heard of folks having with with the 22lr AR rifles. After we finished shooting my dad said that the rifle was going to cost him alot of money IN AMMO.

Babysan
February 23, 2010, 01:24 PM
This is the best purchase I have made in a long time. I love everything about this gun. The look it cool, the ability to accessorize, comes with a nice case, etc, etc. Very well made. The best part is that it is an absolute ammo garbage disposal. I have not experienced any jams, hangfires or misfires. I've shot CCI blazer and mini mags through it, Rem tbolts, even the winchester match shoots great through it. And it is very accurate. Piece of cake to clean. I have taken it to the range every weekend that I have owned it and have put atleast 1000 rounds through it. Price? Could always be better. I got mine for $459 otd. Makes the 10/22 look like a flintlock. :evil:

Salty1
March 16, 2010, 11:02 PM
They are now shipping, I have a few of them arriving tomorrow. I will be at the range right after they arrive and run a patch through one. May even use it for an Appleseed event and see what happens..........

againstthagrane
April 16, 2010, 04:40 AM
just shot my 522 yesterday, and let me tell you...BEST semi auto .22lr EVER. i had zero malfunctions in about 200 rounds.
mine has a primary arms aimpoint mini knockoff on it. after zeroing the red dot, i was shooting 3-4inch 20 rounds groups at 50 yards from a rest using bulk pack winchester ammo.
i've owned a 10/22 and currently own a marlin 60. the 10/22 was an unreliable mess. the marlin is a great rifle but nowhere near as fun to shoot as the Sig.

If you enjoyed reading about "The New Sig 522" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!