Look what I found on the rack at the local Gun Dealer...

PDA

Schleprok62
February 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
DPMS Panther Classic 16"

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783A2-2-med.jpg

Are these M4 feedramps ?????
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783feedramps-med.jpg

complete with hardshell case, cleaning kit, 2 mags, and sling...

Will have a range report as soon as weather & wind permits...

If you enjoyed reading about "Look what I found on the rack at the local Gun Dealer..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
doc540
February 14, 2009, 03:11 PM
smoke it up!

highorder
February 14, 2009, 03:12 PM
Nice! What did you pay for it?

Schleprok62
February 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
I picked it up for $829... plus the governors cut... but it's brand spankin' new... :)

Tennesseean
February 14, 2009, 03:33 PM
Sounds like you did well; Atlantic Firearms has that model for $879 + fees.

Enjoy it!

husker
February 14, 2009, 03:34 PM
thats good deal right now. around a grand in nebraska. if you can find one

C5Cruiser
February 14, 2009, 04:05 PM
Congrats!

possum
February 14, 2009, 04:43 PM
very nice and congrats, can't wait to see your range report.

Schleprok62
February 14, 2009, 08:03 PM
Well, weather permitting, I'm hoping to get to the range this week...

kwelz
February 14, 2009, 10:28 PM
Interesting. DPMS does sometimes use barrels with m4 cuts on them but I have never seen a factory gun with the receiver cuts as well. You either have a miracle on your hands or someone has done some work to that gun..

That is also a great price on any AR15 in the current market. I suggest checking the staking on the Gas key and then shooting the hell out of it.

Eightball
February 14, 2009, 11:19 PM
You got a good deal, and a good firearm.

Now, time to customize with the money you saved!

elSquid
February 14, 2009, 11:23 PM
http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/feedramps.jpg

-- Michael

RonE
February 15, 2009, 12:34 AM
elSquid - thanks for the informative information.
+1

Schleprok62
February 15, 2009, 04:04 PM
This is brand new... what you see is what was unwrapped from the factory packaging. The rifle itself was still wrapped in plastic when he opened up the case... the one on the shelf was put back... (shrug) I don't know... but we're fixin' to go find out how well she runs... :) :neener: :evil: :cool: :rolleyes:

Schleprok62
February 15, 2009, 04:07 PM
Now, time to customize with the money you saved!

The only thing I really plan on doing with it is putting a 6 position rear stock on it... and shooting it at evil paper targets... and maybe the occassional varmint... ;)

Schleprok62
February 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
Ititial range report:

Well, I'm happy and dissapointed at the same time... go figure... LOL Took her to the range and had a terrible time with FTF's... Turned out to be the DPMS 30 rd magazines... the followers on both kept getting stuck... switched out to my Colt 20 rounders and that issue was erased.

This is what I managed standing, off hand...
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783AR15-1st-med.JPG

Brought it home and gave it a thorough cleaning... will have more later..

mustachio
February 28, 2009, 11:52 AM
Two weeks ago I picked up a Panther lite 16 from a wholesaler on the net. It has the exact same feed ramps. They must me making them in the M4 configuration. It feeds perfectly, so far and it is well made and solid-no rattles etc. I don't know why DPMS gets bashed so much other than gun snobbery. Don't ask me to put it through a torture test and then compare it to a Colt. The average AR owner won't do that, we take care of our weapons and we aren't expected to go off to battle in a sand box. Have any "normal" gun owner actually put their Colt AR through a torture test? If so you must have a lot of $ to burn, at the current cost of ammo. Mine will stay stock, as it was meant to be. I shoot it a couple times a month along with my side arms, just to stay in practice and remember where it prints. This is a good practice especially in a state that issues CCW's like Florida. Who knows, with the state of the economy right now I may be called upon to protect my own property if we go into a real bad state and the BG's run wild. I sure hope not.

pgeleven
February 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
really good photos elsquid, it never came to my mind that an issue like that even existed. i can see how the bottom left setup (the bad photo could make it almost impossible to feed

also, congrats to the OP for finding a new AR for under a grand! did you consider buying a lottery ticket at the same time?

skidooman603
February 28, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hey PGELEVEN was in TC last weekend. Went to Zeroed-in. What a cool place. Wish I would have brought a gun to play there. Live in Gaylord. :)

gvnwst
February 28, 2009, 03:07 PM
Very nice Schleprok62, the bad mag must be really annoying though....

rovieairto
February 28, 2009, 04:03 PM
The majority of FTF's that I've seen were are all due to faulty magazines.
Brownells has good mags for 12.50/ea. (20-30 rounders)
DPMS, in the early years, used a lot of "unspec" and "military rejected" parts in their rifles. Many had terribly reamed chambers and ammunition would become horribly stuck in the chamber.
(Like an unlubed case stuck in your resizing die stuck)
I had one of these rifles and saw and heard of many others. (even PD guns) with these and other problems. You could send them your gun but they wouldn't fix it, they'd just tell you that you used bad ammo and when they shot it it was fine.
Shipping was paid by the sender and they would win that attrition battle.
Well, I sold it and I wonder how many people bought it, swore a lot, hated DPMS, and sold it again. Its current owner probably has no idea that he possesses a turd because he doesn't shoot. it.
The moral:
Use only good magazines.
Shoot all your guns and get rid of those that don't function 100%.
DPMS used to = C-R-A-P
They changed their business model but I still remember.

Schleprok62
March 3, 2009, 11:26 AM
Once ig figured out that the two magazines that came with the rifle were the problem, and switched to my other magazines, the issue seems to be resloved... I'm gonna tear them apart and see if I can't get them to loosen up a bit... I think it's because they are brand new and the followers are hanging...

Overall, it shoots well enough for what it is. Fit and finish seem to be on par with other offerings in the same pricerange... it's not a Noveske or LMT, but it's definitely not junk either...

One other point of note. I tried putting the upper on my other DPMS lower and it will not go. The rear pin does not line up with the hole on the lower... any ideas here?
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/2783AR-1b-med.jpg

It's a standard issue 5.56 lower with the DPMS LPK and a retractable butt stock...

chrissmallwood
March 3, 2009, 12:24 PM
You could do what I did when I bought my Sportical and trade the mags at the dealer. Mine ran fine but I wanted 20rnd mags instead of the 30rnd mags it came with so I took them into my dealer and traded for a couple of 20rnd USGI mags. You could see if they will do that for you.

CoRoMo
March 3, 2009, 12:37 PM
Glad to see someone getting a fair price on these machines.
My latest AR really hit a high note for price, but fair for what it is and well worth every penny.

Big Bill
March 3, 2009, 12:41 PM
This is what I managed standing, off hand...At what distance?

Schleprok62
March 3, 2009, 12:57 PM
Bill... approx 100 yards... Standing, no rest...

rovieairto
March 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
Well that is good shooting.
You ever think about highpower service rifle competition?

Runningman
March 7, 2009, 02:24 PM
One other point of note. I tried putting the upper on my other DPMS lower and it will not go. The rear pin does not line up with the hole on the lower... any ideas here?
Sounds like one or the other has the hole in the wrong location to me. DMPS used to have a problem with that, sounds like they still do.

Schleprok62
March 7, 2009, 02:33 PM
You ever think about highpower service rifle competition?

I've thought about it... I wouldn't know where to start though...

If you enjoyed reading about "Look what I found on the rack at the local Gun Dealer..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!