90 grain Match Kings in a Savage model 12

PDA

popeyespappy
February 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
Can I shoot 90 grain Sierra Match Kings in my Savage model 12 long range varminter 223? It is a 7 twist and I know that is the minimum twist rate for the 80 and 90 grain VLD bullets. What I donít know is do the 90 grain VLD bullets require a special longer chamber in a 223.

If you enjoyed reading about "90 grain Match Kings in a Savage model 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Howard Roark
February 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
The 80s and the even longer 90s need a purpose made chamber reamer. The VLDs need a 1.5deg. leade for optimum operation. You most likely will get away with the 1-7. If your chamber is a normal SAMMI spec you will have to seat the bullets pretty deep, taking up much needed powder capacity. The .223 does not have enough capacity to drive the 90s fast enough to get any advantage. You are better off shooting the 80s faster than the slower 90s.

popeyespappy
February 14, 2009, 10:46 PM
The 80s and the even longer 90s need a purpose made chamber reamer. The VLDs need a 1.5deg. leade for optimum operation.

So you are telling me not to shoot 80 and 90 grain VLDs in my factory Savage?

Jim Watson
February 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
I don't think he is. Just that they would do better if the gun were purpose made for them.
I shot some 90 grain SMKs loaded as long as the standard chamber would accept, then had it throated out. Then changed to VLDs. They do fine although I do not know the leade angle. Buy a box and try them out.

taliv
February 14, 2009, 10:58 PM
last time i looked i think sierra was saying they needed a 1 in 6.5 twist, but that you might get away with shooting them in a 7. it would be very borderline though.

it would probably be worth it to buy a small box to play with.

browningguy
February 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
The VLD's usually want to be seated into the lands, I can't shoot them in my .243 because that makes the OAL too long for the magazine.

The Berger VLD's will usually shoot ok in a standard chamber in my experience. But if you are doing serious match shooting then get a barrel specifically chambered for the load you want to shoot. I agree with the previous poster also, unless you get a long throated barrel so you can seat the bullet way out shooting 90 grainers gives up too much velocity.

popeyespappy
February 14, 2009, 11:21 PM
I ordered 100 80 grain SMKs from Midway. So far the heavier the bullet the better the rifle has liked it but the biggest thing I've tried to date is 77 SMKs. We'll see how it goes with the 80s and I probably wont bother with the 90s.

Anybody got any favorite loads for the 80 grain SMKs?

Thanks

Howard Roark
February 15, 2009, 09:17 AM
I only use N-150. N-140 is OK but I found it gave unexplained high shots at 600 yards. Varget is also an excellent powder for the 80s.

If you enjoyed reading about "90 grain Match Kings in a Savage model 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!