The gun you most regret selling

PDA

alemonkey
February 15, 2009, 01:23 PM
I've sold a few guns that I regret, and it's gotten to the point that I've pretty much decided I'll never sell again unless it's a real lemon. So, what is your biggest regret? Mine is the Ruger 77 varmint/target in .220 Swift, stainless steel with laminate stock. It was a beautiful gun and shot great too. Unfortunately when I graduated college I was flat broke and needed the rent money :mad: I should have lived in my car.

If you enjoyed reading about "The gun you most regret selling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clipper
February 15, 2009, 01:32 PM
I sold a Remington M-11 in 16ga that my grandfather gave me when I was in my early 20s. Back then 16ga steel shot was almost impossible to find, I couldn't shoot it worth s*** because it didn't fit me, and I absolutely hated the long-recoil action. Now that I can afford to keep a clinker I never shoot, I wish I still had grandpa's gun.

The only other gun I really regret selling is my Browning BL-22. I just might have to buy another...

Dollar Bill
February 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
I was just thinking last night...Why did I sell that excellent condition Enfield #5 carbine? Then there was that M1A, AR-15 SP-1, Remington BDL 30-06. So many more...the horror!

Gordon
February 15, 2009, 01:52 PM
Sharps .52 with a coffee grinder in the stock - sold for $500 in 1966 right before I went into active duty, to get married!

Legionnaire
February 15, 2009, 01:56 PM
Since this is the rifle forum, I'll stay there. I've sold a number of long guns over the years, and mostly don't regret the departures. The only real exception was a Remington 700 VLS in .223. It was a great bench gun, but waaay to heavy to carry afield. I sold it to buy a walk-around rifle. Should have saved my pennies for the latter and kept the VLS. It was a very accurate rifle, easily sub-MOA with factory ammo. It should have stayed in the back of the safe until I had more available range time.

Other regret is selling a true pre-ban Colt Match Hbar after the expiration of the Clinton ban. Had a couple of ARs at the time, so decided to sell the Colt, since I liked the setup of the other gun better. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. Shouldn't have sold either of them.

woof
February 15, 2009, 01:58 PM
Model 88 Win .308 that I got as a teen and sold when in college and desperate for cash. I still have the serial number and have dreams of somehow finding it again.

pmbiker
February 15, 2009, 02:17 PM
A Marlin 1894c in .357mag. Sold it after I sold my only .357 revolver at the time, a Ruger GP100.

I have redeemed myself now and have added a S&W 586 and an inbound 1894c, should be here middle of next week.

pbearperry
February 15, 2009, 02:36 PM
I sold a mint Colt 1911 WW 2 issue for $50 so I could buy a .357 Highway Patrolmen.What the heck was I thinking?

elmerfudd
February 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
I sold an Imbel receiver FAL to a friend of mine years ago for $450. They weren't worth nearly as much back then as they are now, but I still gave him a good deal.

I did sell it with the provision however that if he ever decides he wants to sell it he has to offer it back to me for the same price first.

Rexster
February 15, 2009, 02:50 PM
I regret selling an M1 Garand. Though "only" a Korean re-import that came in through, IIRC, Blue Sky, it was a particularly nice one of those.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 15, 2009, 03:03 PM
RWS model 45 air rifle in .177 pellet
Smith & Wesson 3000 riot gun in 12 ga w/folding stock
Henry H003 Pump .22
Russian SKS
Wilson KZ45
Kimber CDP II compact

I most regret the bolded one because it was the first gun I owned. Russian SKS 2nd biggest regret. RWS third biggest regret, because it was my first high quality gun, even if not a firearm. I miss the pristine 96/38 Swede and Finn Mosin, but can't say that they're big regrets, because I didn't shoot them that much.

matrem
February 15, 2009, 03:40 PM
A Marlin model 60 that my dad bought for me when I was twelve.I traded it a few years later for an H&R .22 revolver. (BAD move on my part).That one still haunts me.

coosbaycreep
February 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
I really regret selling a a ruger semi-auto .44 mag carbine. At the time I wanted the money to buy something more "tactical", and have been looking for another one at a sane price ever since.

mattw
February 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have never sold any of my firearms and never will!

NCsmitty
February 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
Like others, I've got a few that I let go and later regretted. The one that really sticks in my craw is the Remington 600 Magnum with laminated stock in 350 Rem mag that I bought as a salesman's gun when I worked at Remington Arms in Ilion, NY in the late 60's. I think I paid around $65 for it and sold it for $100 a few months later. Dumb!

NCsmitty

Bud Tugly
February 15, 2009, 04:01 PM
Two of them: my dad's sporterized 7.62 Swiss Schmidt-Rubin that was his deer rifle and a very nice .303 Enfield I had restored.

steveno
February 15, 2009, 04:06 PM
a Browning M-92 44 mag and an almost new jungle carbine picked out of a barrel of them for $32 ( that has been quite some time ago).

levrluvr
February 15, 2009, 05:14 PM
My 9422M.
It was sold at the same time as my BL-22 and Marlin 783 over 30 years ago so I could have funds to head off to college. The 1969 GTO Judge was sold at the same time.
I'm still wondering if someone had accomplished a lobotomy on me prior to those sales without me knowing it................:o

LTR shooter
February 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
Rifles? Well let's see:

Weatherby MKXXII
Rem 700VLS .223
Rem Nylon 66
Sako Finnfire Varmint

Out of those I guess if I could have ONE back it would be the Sako.

redneckrepairs
February 15, 2009, 05:30 PM
That i regret?? too many to mention . The one i regret most .. well lets see ..... most likely a sako finwolf ( short action and mannlicher style ) .243 from the 60s or 70s . Wonder full wood and it shot like a target rifle . iirc mid 80s i traded it for a colt python and a dick special , neither of which i still have .

cal74
February 15, 2009, 06:09 PM
I bought one of the Repro Model 52B's when I was in college. Three digit serial no. that I still know.

Couldn't really afford it when I bought it and I sold it a year later for a decent profit at the time. That was 12-13 years ago.

This past year it was bothering me so bad that I tracked down the guy I sold it to and asked if he still had it. He'd just traded it off within the last year or so and said he would have sold it back to me :mad: I know if he still had it he would have just asked to get back out of it what I'd sold it to him for.

Hopefully one of these days I'll find it?

nwilliams
February 15, 2009, 06:23 PM
I picked up a beautiful Imbel FAL back in 2002 at J&G for $399.

I ended up trading it in on a Sig 2340 a few years ago:banghead::(:mad:

Zach S
February 15, 2009, 06:33 PM
Mil-Spec Springer. I swapped the trigger, MSH, and grips out to my liking and planned on a few more bells and whistles (dovetailed night sight, yost retro rear, beavertail, light rail or 610R, triggerjob), but I just shot it. Never got around to having any work done. The more I shot it, the less I thought about it.

Then I traded it. Dangit.

Edit: Sorry, didnt realize I had got to the rifle forum.

JWF III
February 15, 2009, 06:41 PM
Well not exactly rifles, but the only 2 guns I sold/traded were shotguns. One was a Rem 11-87, I'm glad that one's gone.The other was an Ithaca Model 37. It was beat to hell when I got it. A 20" riot gun, marked (engraved in receiver and painted on the stock) DKPD 037. The 037 was not for the model, each one the shop had had a different number, so it had to be a department id#. The DKPD stood for DeKalb (County) P.D. Dekalb, for those that don't know is right on the outskirts of the city of Atlanta. I lived in the next county over.

I (read my dad-since I was still a minor) paid $100 for that gun, but I loved it. So anyway, my dad and I had a deal that as long as I came up with half of the cost of a gun, he'd cover the other half no matter what the gun was. Well one gun show rolled around and I found a rifle I just had to have (for deer hunting), but was just short of our deal of half. I received $80 credit on trade, at the time we thought that we did alright in the deal.

Fast forward 15 years to 2005, I saw the same model of Ithaca 37 in a gun shop. It wasn't marked DKPD, or anything like that. But it was marked at $650. :what:I'm still kicking myself.

Wyman

BTW- over the 3-4 years I owned that gun, I never knew that 37s didn't have a disconnector (only 12-13 yo). Oh what fun I could've had.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

HoosierQ
February 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
Since this is Rifle Country: I sold a Mini-14 Ranch rifle. Sure wish I still had that. It wasn't perfect but if was a good gun. It was before the days of finding a decent hi-cap mag so over the few years I had it, I found several of the 5 rounders. I sold it with one and I still have 7 5-round mags for the thing which I paid between $15 and $20 dollars for each...on at a time.

Sure which I still had that. It wasn't perfect but it was mine and I liked it. It had one of those super duper rubber butt plates on it that fit both the mini and the 10/22...I think Bushmaster sells them. That was nice as it added about 1" to the length of pull which I need. Still have the original butt plate too.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 15, 2009, 08:19 PM
This past year it was bothering me so bad that I tracked down the guy I sold it to and asked if he still had it. He'd just traded it off within the last year or so and said he would have sold it back to me

Ouch! :( Yesterday, my buddy calls me and says hey, want to go to the gun show? Sure I say. So I meet him and see he has a pistol case. Whatcha gonna sell? It was a CZ 85 B with a stippling job, which I had sold him several years back. I said, hey I was wanting to buy that back. I bought it back for the same price I sold to him - we were both happy. But good thing I went to the show with him, or I wouldn't have known he was wanting to sell it :) Oh, and get this. He's getting more into Glocks than he already was, due to the influence of another friend (the dark side influence). So he was gonna sell a Porsche (CZ) to get money for a Hyundai (Glock). :rolleyes:

CoRoMo
February 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
Never sell.

AKElroy
February 15, 2009, 08:32 PM
20 years ago, I sold a Super Redhawk .44; my first gun, to buy a new washer & dryer for the wife. I could roll pins @ 80 yds. with that gun. Sold a Taurus PT99 at the same time, coudn't handle the loss, bought a new identical Taurus 3 months later, lost a bundle. Still haven't replaced that Redhawk; I thought a new Blackhawk would do it, it hasn't.

matrem
February 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
WOW! never thought of it that way! Wonder how bad It's gonna be for me :Have only bought Fords?

W.E.G.
February 15, 2009, 08:36 PM
One just like this.
For $13 in 1975.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Daisy%20Model%2096/DaisyModel96rightside-smaller.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Daisy%20Model%2096/DaisyModel96boxnarrowside-smaller.jpg

At least I was able to find this one.
Its almost like the one I sold.
Sort of like a replacement pet. Never quite the same.

pgeleven
February 15, 2009, 08:43 PM
i have yet to sell any, im a pack rat

but i did give my ex wife my mossberg 535 a few years back... now i need a new turkey gun

wcwhitey
February 15, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have had two very nice M1 Carbines over the years. Neither shot great for me so I sold them both. I see all the fervor and the $800 price tags (mine were $200) I am thinking I should have gave them more of a chance or at least held onto them. Live and learn! Bill

emory d
February 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
Springfield M1A National Match with laminate stock. I had it scoped up with nice Leopold tactical glass and plenty of mags. I had 25 NIW magazines put away for future use. That rifle would shoot and it was reliable as it would eat anything. I let her go for too little and I have never been able to find another at a decent price. I don't even know if it is made with a laminate stock any longer.:cuss:

FMJMIKE
February 15, 2009, 10:52 PM
Wish I hadn't sold one of my Rock-Ola M1 Carbines........:mad:

VE2RF
February 15, 2009, 10:57 PM
Belgian Browning .22 Automatic Take Down.

warriorsociologist
February 15, 2009, 11:23 PM
1. My first 686-4 (6"). Ended up buying another 3 or so yrs later.

2. My Rem 700 BDL SS DM in .308
never got another in .308, but found a nice '87 BDL in 7mm-08 instead.

3. All the AR-15 stripped lowers I once had (10+)

Wish I still had all of them back....the others, well, probably them too. ;)

Lonestar.45
February 15, 2009, 11:31 PM
I've only sold two. A Ruger Single Six, which didn't bother me.

The other was an early mint Beretta 92FS made in Italy. I sold it right before the '94 ban with all the high cap mags I'd accumulated in order to help finance a motorcycle. Stupid move.

rbernie
February 15, 2009, 11:48 PM
FN49.

Nugilum
February 15, 2009, 11:48 PM
I wonder what gun seller's remorse feels like... :neener:

Coal Dragger
February 15, 2009, 11:55 PM
I most regret letting go of a Steyr Scout rifle. It was quite accurate, light, and handy.

Still kick myself. I'll own another one though.

10-Ring
February 16, 2009, 12:34 AM
For me, it was my 2 HK rifles - a 91 & a 93
Nice guns!!

jbkebert
February 16, 2009, 12:35 AM
Man I wish I still had that pistol. It was my first handgun got it when I was 16. It went with me every time I went to the woods to cut firewood. I thought I had to have a norinco 1911 when I was 18 and sold it to get the money. My dad was pretty open minded with us boys and firearms. They were always locked up until we asked to get them out. handguns were only under his supervison. Long story short I have never come across another one that I like as much.

Guitargod1985
February 16, 2009, 01:56 AM
I gotta say my HK USP40c.

ETA: Oh, since this is in the Rifle Country forum, my first AR15, an Armalite M15.

lej
February 16, 2009, 05:35 AM
CZ .22K hornet

DRYHUMOR
February 16, 2009, 06:32 AM
No real regrets...

But I think about all the weapons I've had through the years...

And realize if I could sell them ALL at one time...

My mortgage would be nearly paid off :eek:

Odnar
February 16, 2009, 07:47 AM
I've sold very, very few guns over the years, and never because I NEEDED the money. Just because I plain didn't want the gun any more.

I do have a couple regrets, though, and they all revolve around women.

About 15 years ago, I had a Marlin 30-30 stolen about 12 hours after I bought it. I picked it up on payday on the way to my girlfriend's house. Someone broke into the car and stole it from the trunk, leaving the receipt on the seat...

I also lost a Taurus PT40 in a divorce several years ago. That one was worth it.

stratus
February 16, 2009, 08:20 AM
Bushmaster M4gery with the works, chrome-lined barrel, 30 round mags... got rid of it. It doesn't have the charm of a good bolt or lever gun or a Garand and I needed the money... but I still regret it to this day. The Marlin 1895G is now my only rifle and I find it to be a great "one gun", but I'd love some more lever guns. I recently handled a 16" hex-barrel (tube flush with the barrel) Italian-made case hardened lever gun that had about the sweetest action ever - in .45LC. Of course, you'd have to get an SAA to go with that. :D

I will buy more rifles and never sell them. Ever. Unless, like someone said, it's a real lemon. My taste having changed to the old school Jeff Cooper persuasion, I will take a good bolt or lever gun, though for me, the lever guns are a bit faster.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 16, 2009, 11:07 AM
The one that really sticks in my craw is the Remington 600 Magnum with laminated stock in 350 Rem mag that I bought as a salesman's gun when I worked at Remington Arms in Ilion, NY in the late 60's. I think I paid around $65 for it and sold it for $100 a few months later. Dumb!

You may have matched (but not beat) my choices, NC Smitty. :( :p

ctgmi
February 16, 2009, 12:21 PM
Iíve had a lot go through my hands, but only one I regret selling a Marlin 336 ER.
I was young and in need of some cash along with it was pretty costly to shoot.

Gunfighter123
February 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
For rifles --- I think it would be a FNC .223 that I bought for $500 and sold for $1600 !!!

At least I made some money on it.

Paladin_Hammer
February 16, 2009, 03:37 PM
My Saiga 7.62x39. It was ugly, inaccurate, and loud, but had I only given it more time I could have fixed all of that.

Landlocked Pirate
February 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
Bought a brand new Norinco SKS for $79, cleaned it up, and then sold it for what I paid for it without ever firing it.........IDIOT!!!

bannockburn
February 16, 2009, 07:52 PM
Even though I'm constantly thinking and dealing with handguns, I've always been a better shooter with a rifle in my hands. For that reason, I've never sold off or traded too many of my rifles over the years. I do miss a Marlin Model 336 that I had years ago (my first lever action), an Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine, and an H&K 91. But I still have my first and all-time favorite rifle: my Ruger 10/22. Maybe when it comes right down to it, that's all that matters.

pbrktrt
February 16, 2009, 09:37 PM
a Ruger M77 tang safety in 6mm Rem. an absolute tack driver. i think i had one of those mini strokes. i have permanent damage in my leg now from kicking myself repeatedly. i am warming up to a Vanguard in 270 nicely though. nothing like therapy.

Brian Williams
February 16, 2009, 09:48 PM
I regret letting my Father-in-Law swapping a Win Bolt action in 218 bee for a Savage 100.

I only regret selling Taurus tracker in 45 colt prior to their discontinuing by Taurus.

Big Bill
February 16, 2009, 09:52 PM
Mine was a beautiful Sako .270 in 1972. I loved that sweet shooting beauty.

punkndisorderly
February 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
As far as rifles, probably my first. Mossberg Plinkster with cheesy wook patterned plastic thumbhole stock, tube magazine, and Tasco scope. Mostly for sentimental reasons. Had a lot of fun shooting that rifle.

Of the firearms I sold for college tuition several years ago, the browning high power is the one I miss the most. Most of the others I miss will get replaced with somehting better, so no biggie.

H&Hhunter
February 16, 2009, 11:27 PM
A pre 64 .300 H&H in great condition...

Float Pilot
February 16, 2009, 11:35 PM
Lets see, most were sold to pay bills back when I was married to the daughter of satan....

1. Original Model 71 Winchester (348 caliber) in mint condition.
2. Winchester 1886 (1890 vintage) in 45-90 with half round-half octagon barrel, in 95% condition.
3. 1903A1 Springfield NRA target rifle in unfired condition, with sight protectors still crimped over the sights.
4. M1A Super Match with a bedded E2 stock, .

I gotta stop, I am starting to get steamed...

Prepster
February 17, 2009, 12:10 AM
Even though this is the rifle forum, the gun I regret selling more than anything is my Uberti Colt Walker replica. Range trips aren't quite the same without that brain-rattling boom.

Detritus
February 17, 2009, 05:41 AM
that's a tough call for me, there are two taht are in VERY close contention.

Savage 12FV in .223 that i sold to fund the upper for my wife's AR. I sold it b/c the match(es) i had bought it to shoot dried up locally. Now we have a new High Power Director at the club and he's looking into reviving the 600yrd prone matches. So the matches are looking to coming back but I no longer have the rifle to shoot them with. replacing this rifle with either a direct copy or one in .308 is my next gun planned gun purchase.

this if followed closely by my last 1911, a Springfield GI.45. traded at the same time as the Savage. This one i gotta relate stuff before and after the sale.
I bought it b/c i want a USGI spec 1911 in my collection, AND with the intent that BOTH myself and my wife would use it, well Tiny sights + .45 recoil appeared discouraging to SWMBO shooting it, and i wanted a 1911 i felt confident carrying so i needed one with better sights. so i sold it and didn't tell teh wife feeling that she wouldn't care. 4-5 months later she asks me "why don't we bring the 1911 to the range any more? I LIKED that one!" :eek: :banghead: a new rule about telling me such things came into effect that day.

sigma 40ve
February 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
Too many to mention. Back then I needed money and either sold or traded to get what I want. Learned my lesson, now I keep what I have.

pmbiker
February 17, 2009, 10:09 AM
I was able to buy almost at will a few years ago with the wife working full time. Now putting her through nursing school is eating up my gun budget so anything new is traded for. I'm to the point now that anything that I'd let go has been let go, I've traded into all keepers. Funny thing is I'm shying away from plastic and gadgets and defaulting to blue steel and wood.;)

FreuderLocks
February 17, 2009, 10:11 AM
Probably my SKS, it was a Norinco, nothing pretty but it always worked no matter what.
-FL

ecline
February 17, 2009, 01:43 PM
Rifles? Probably my Winchester Trapper 30-30 1894-1994 Centennial edition, but it least it went to a friend who uses it on horseback out of a saddle scabbard in the mountains of Montana.

Handguns? That would be my Walther TPH stainless (sold it way too cheap), and a Ruger GP-101 in .357 Magnum that I tricked out with fiber-optic target sights.

George7x57
April 15, 2011, 05:52 PM
I really regret selling a mint Savage 99 in 358 win that I bought for $300 about 15 years ago. I sold it for about $500 through the Buy and Sell a few years later. A savy collector eagerly scooped it up without haggling. I ever threw in a vintage redfield scope. When I think about now I just wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Jurist
April 15, 2011, 06:06 PM
Winchester M61 22Magnum,Ruger #1-v.

rajb123
April 15, 2011, 06:10 PM
Remington Model 700 in 30-06.

H2oPumper
April 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
I haven't sold any, but have bought some from people which they'll regret selling.

NAVY SEABEE 303
April 15, 2011, 07:02 PM
I didn't sell them but my dad did about 25 years ago and it kills to this day, AK-47 with original folding stock (can't remember who made it) and a Ruger mini 14 with factory folding stock.

Dr T
April 15, 2011, 07:12 PM
A Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 7.5" barrel that I got in 1974. I slept with it under my pillow all through graduate school while living on the bad side of Austin. It shot 1 hole groups at 25 yards with my best target load, and I was too young and stupid to realize what I had.

I finally replaced it a few years ago with a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt with the 7.5" barrel. But, I haven't had the time to tune it up yet...

suzukisam
April 15, 2011, 07:28 PM
Rock island officers model 45...... it shot really well....

Zach S
April 15, 2011, 07:34 PM
A well-used Springer Mil Spec. I swapped a few parts to my liking (extended thumb safety, long trigger, flat MSH, Kimber rubber grips), and bought a few more to have installed (SA beavertail, front night sight, Yost retro rear, and a light rail), that never got installed.

The more I shot it, the less I wanted to change anything else. The only thing that kept me from installing the sights was the refinish (it was parkerized).

I came out ahead in the trade, but had trader's remorse shortly after. Oddly enough, I dont miss the guns that I traded and got burned on - for the record, I knew I was getting burned going onto the trade.

edit: Got forums mixed up, I thought I was in general... Anyway, I've only got rid of one rifle, I traded a Thompson 1927 for a GSG5. I knew I was getting burned, and I was told I was getting burned, but to the cost of ammo the Thompson sat in the safe most of the time while the GSG5 has spent a good bit of time at the range. I lost some money but broke even IMO. I may have trader's remorse if I didnt, have another Thompson in the safe...

Win1892
April 15, 2011, 07:37 PM
Old Colt Lightning rifle in 38-40. Traded it for a Winchester 92 carbine in 32-20. Dollars were even, still are. But...

Should not have done that.

TexasPatriot.308
April 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
a Ruger #3 in .223 and another in .22 Hornet, neither one would shoot worth a darn even with good optics, wish I had them back just as collectibles. also a Colt AR15 I kick myself in the butt about. wish I knew then what I know now.

pump .22s
April 16, 2011, 03:23 PM
A very, very nice Colt Bisley - still had most of the case hardening on frame - in 44-40 that my wife inherited from her dad. I had no use for pistols at the time, didn't realize it's value, sold it at gun show to finance a deer rifle.

I was young and stupid. Now that I am older, I would give a lot to have that gun back.

No she hasn't divorced me because of it.

:)

BrocLuno
April 16, 2011, 05:17 PM
A WW-II Nazi 22 trainer made in Switzerland. It was beat to death with a hacked stock and bent barrel. I got it for $20 at a junk table at a gun show (back in the day). My gun smith recowned it, made an extractor and pressed the barrel straight. Even with almost no rifling showing that this was a fine shooter. Had an amazing trigger.

I had a co-worker that was a Nazi know-it-all and wanted it, so I gave it to him via a friend (shared gift). Never heard another word and don't know what happened to it. If you saw it, it would be headed for the junk pile - but that would be a big mistake. Sort-of wished I had it back. But I have too many other projects to spend any time on it :(

Don't regret selling any others. I'm done with them when they leave :)

littlebluevette
April 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
Back in the day I had a Savage Stevens 410/22 over/under. The gun was short and I could get the shot off quicker than anyone else in the groups. One year I got seven pheasants on the first day...no one else in the group downed any and the legal limit was two. I also downed a dove while flying with the 22. Everything is too built up and can't shoot safely like that in the air anymore. Wish I still had that gun.

HavelockLEO
April 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
Sold a Loaded Standard Springfield Armory M1A with a stainless barrel to a friend of mine with the stipulation that if he was ever to sell it I'd buy it back from him. I gave him super sweet price too as it was scoped and had a Smith Vortex on it too.
I later found out he'd traded it for a Scout Squad.
The other I regret most was a trade. I hade an awesome Robinson arms M96 Expeditionary rifle that I traded, everytime I think about it, I wish I still had her.

Still Shooting
April 16, 2011, 06:53 PM
There are two that I miss, and think of often. There are two women and two divorces also, and that explains the gun sales. The first was a shotgun, a 1947 Browning superposed, superlight in 12 ga. It was a factory custom with a straight stock, 26" barrel, and 28/inch checkering. I bought it used in PA in 1972 for $350, and sold it to a "friend' during the divorce. We did the deal with the understanding that I could buy it back as soon as things got sorted out. When I called to do that, he said "no way." -No friend, either.

The second gun was a pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06, and it was beautifully accurate and smooth. It came scoped, with a hooded front blade, and in excellent condition. That was the second divorce.

Oh well, live and learn. The second wife also departed with a 686, 6" barrel, and a factory trigger that was better then my buddy's Python from the Colt Custom Shop. (sigh)

menacingsquirrel
April 16, 2011, 06:54 PM
My first gun....

Grousefeather
April 16, 2011, 09:16 PM
Well I did sell a marlin 39m that I wish I had kept. Also, while I was in service, my Dad sold his pre 64 Mod 70 257 Roberts. If he had told me I would have sent him the money. Oh well.

Shanghai Dan
April 16, 2011, 09:23 PM
Either my old Nylon 66, or my S&W 422 - both sweet shooting 22s...

bowman1962
April 16, 2011, 09:41 PM
Marlin Model 39A w/gold trigger, I took more small game for the table with it than any other rifle I ever owned. Hands down the best dang shooter I ever pulled the trigger on. :banghead:

richardKatts
April 16, 2011, 09:46 PM
In 1991 a Colt Trooper .357 6" barrel. mint. :banghead:

sayak
April 17, 2011, 12:43 AM
A Model 94 Winchester .30.30. A girlfriend needed money. I liquidated the rifle and a motorcycle and then she dumped me. I've never missed her, but I sure do miss that rifle.

rondog
April 17, 2011, 04:44 AM
All of them.....

gralewaj
August 5, 2011, 04:32 PM
Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag, non-fluted cylinder with the 4.75" barrel.. Great revolver. Should have sold the Redhawk...

chevyforlife21
August 5, 2011, 05:10 PM
A tobin arms 12g double I sold 5 years ago for 100 bucks. I thought it was 30 years old at the time it was so mint that explains the 1890 patent date now I see them for 2000 bucks thing didnt look 100 years old

Thylacine
August 5, 2011, 05:16 PM
Just a Mossberg 500. My wife gave it to me as a birthday present and when I was laid off I sold it to pay the rent. That shotgun meant a lot to me.

czhen
August 5, 2011, 06:32 PM
An original Martini Henry 22 cal. (sold in 2000 for 100$.)

Czhen,Fl

lencac
August 5, 2011, 06:45 PM
This thread needs pictures :scrutiny:

DeepSouth
August 5, 2011, 06:54 PM
Walther P22, I should have melted it down and saved someone else a headache.

Never sold a rifle.;)

Sebastian the Ibis
August 5, 2011, 07:22 PM
People get rid of guns?:scrutiny:

vellocet
August 5, 2011, 07:30 PM
Long gun; mossberg .410 bolt action shotgun. I know, I know but it was alot of fun to shoot and pretty accurate with slugs. Short gun; Cobray pre-ban/pre Clinton Mac11. Again, I know, but it was more accurate than you'd think and fun to shoot. The only good thing about that is that I sold it for about what another one would cost now.

hja4941
August 5, 2011, 07:49 PM
M1 Carbine, an early Winchester. Sold to get a gun I can't even remember. Next on the list my Browning Hi power practical model. That browning was like an extension of my thought. I shot it so often and carried everywhere. It got so that shooting it took no conscious thought; but I really needed that 375 H&H magnum; Them Florida hogs you know. Sold it after the first box of ammo: no regrets on that one.

Red October
August 5, 2011, 10:15 PM
Way back when, I had a S&W 657 6". There was just something "right" about it. I knew the perfect load for it, and it shot great groups. I got in pinch for cash and sold it. Not a week goes by that I don't regret that. I have owned three .41's since then, but not one of them measured up to that one.

mshootnit
August 6, 2011, 01:06 AM
this thread makes me hurt reading it.

helotaxi
August 6, 2011, 09:55 AM
People get rid of guns?:scrutiny:

My thoughts exactly.

Smokey in PHX
August 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
Savage Mod 99 in 300 Sav, Marlin 39A

BK
August 6, 2011, 11:03 AM
Mint 10-5 with the pinned 4" pencil barrel.

AKElroy
August 6, 2011, 11:45 AM
7.5" Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. Sold it 23 years ago when we first married to buy a washer & dryer. I could bang the 10" 100 yard gong with that gun with nearly every shot; with my eyes & open sights, it was a big deal for me.

AKElroy
August 6, 2011, 11:51 AM
We should open this up for guns we should have bought but didn't. 15 years ago I handled an early 70's 94 trapper carbine in 30/30 & could have had it for $220.00. It was a perfect pre-safety top eject, gorgeous wood, as new / likely unfired. That same model is $900 plus now, and I kick myself every time I log onto GB or GA looking for it.

armabill
August 6, 2011, 03:16 PM
Colt Mustang.

TexasPatriot.308
August 6, 2011, 06:35 PM
2 Ruger No.3s, one in .22 Hornet, other in .223. neither one would shoot even with good optics but wish I had them still for collectibles. (and then theres the Colt AR15 I traded about 25 years ago)

goon
August 6, 2011, 07:33 PM
A beautiful B barreled Finn M39 Mosin Nagant that shot like a 7.62 caliber laser is one gun that I really regret selling. I could routinely break clay pigeons off hand with it at 100 yards and I could break them from a kneeling position at 200. When that gun came to my shoulder I knew exactly where the round was going to hit. I really should have held on to it.

Art Eatman
August 6, 2011, 10:42 PM
1895 Winchester, .30-'03, saddle ring carbine, GI markings, NRA 90%.

MyGreenGuns
August 7, 2011, 08:43 AM
Traded: my first Ruger 10/22 for a 4x4 truck. As it took another $1300 and almost a year to get the truck running I was KICKING MYSELF! (While I worked on this truck, the new owner of my gun was across the lake shooting at cans.) Happier news: when I bought the same gun as replacement as was thrilled to find a NEW FINISH on the 10/22s. First one was S/N 351-xxxxx finish was shiny and flaked off inside the reciever causing occasional jamming. New one is S/N 354-xxxxx and finish is dull colored and NO flaking! Still have the truck!

I know its the rifle forum but:

Sold: H&K USP 9mm Compact to a friend, after only 100rds. It reminded him of the weapon he carried in the service. I asked him a month later if I could buy it back, he had pawned it and bought an XBOX. So he could 'really' shoot people. UGH!:eek:

Sold: Charles Daly 1911 'Commander' after it broke. Just found out this week (on THR) that I could have fixed it for $5.:banghead:

Gifted: S&W .38spl to my brother as wedding gift. He gave it back as xmas present. He ruined my fave holster, but added a belt clip, which is nifty!

NEVER AGAIN (not til I'm done w/ it)!

Flatbush Harry
August 7, 2011, 12:35 PM
All of them.

:banghead:

FH

H&Hhunter
August 7, 2011, 08:04 PM
1895 Winchester, .30-'03, saddle ring carbine, GI markings, NRA 90%.

Art,

I don't care who you are.That right there is painful!!:(

SSgt0313
August 17, 2011, 02:13 AM
Winchester 30/30 model 94 AE over under sights with 3-9X40.

rocinante
August 17, 2011, 07:34 AM
I just traded a S&W 29 for a M4. Like the M4 but already miss my dirty harry :(

Jackpack37
August 17, 2011, 12:42 PM
Selling my S&W 39-2 semi-auto pistol was a very regrettable move. I have been sorry ever since! It was in pristine cond. & I know that I'll never find another like it.

MY Bumper sticker and
My answer to those anti gun A-- Holes

Warning: I cling to my Wife, Religion, the Constitution and my GUNS!

Get the picture?

USAF_Vet
August 17, 2011, 12:47 PM
I've only sold two guns in my lifetime, and both are recent enough not to have the sellers remorse yet.

I sold a M91/30 that never got shot, but as it was my 1st centerfire rifle, I thought it would have more sentimental value than it did. Got what I wanted for it, haven't looked back. no regrets.

The second I sold was my Hi Point 995TS carbine. It didn't get a lot of use, but I did enjoy shooting it. Sold it and between the two, purchased my S&W 469 and had money left over.

I sold two guns I rarely used and in return got a gun that will be my EDC with my CPL.

I have a few guns that would be classified under "guns I regret Not Buying"

Red October
August 17, 2011, 07:01 PM
My first S&W 657.
I've had a couple since, but none were as "right" as that first. Trigger broke just when it should, and I knew just where it would hit.
Still regret that after over 23 years.

velocette
August 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
Well, it's not a rifle, but I sure screwed up when I sold my Browning Hi Power with its Bar-Sto barrel, C&S hammer & sear. I've regretted it almost every day since. Darn thing shot very nicely. I now have 2 BHPs but neither are as nice as the one I foolishly sold.

Roger

RickMD
August 17, 2011, 07:24 PM
A pre-64 Model 70 Alaskan in .338 Magnum that still had the hanging tags on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "The gun you most regret selling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!