Blast from the past! (Weaver Qwik-Point)

February 15, 2009, 04:41 PM
My father just inherited a vintage Marlin Model 336 in .30-30, and he wanted me to help him remove the sight that the previous owner had installed.

When I arrived, I was startled to see an ancient Weaver Qwik-Point red dot sight sitting atop the Marlin. It had been many years since I had seen one in the wild, and here it was, locked squarely on a Weaver base attached to that levergun.

We got it off the gun, as well as the base, and I'm finding some blind 6-48 screws to fill in the empty holes on Dad's rifle.

In the meantime, he had no desire to keep the Qwik-Point, so it came home with me, because I had an idea.

My Romanian SAR-1 AK variant has the left side scope rail. Does anybody make a scope/optic mount for AKs thus configured that plants a Weaver rail fairly low over the top of the receiver cover? I'm not particularly interested in replacement receiver cover scope mounts, because they're not terribly stable, and with the left-side AK mounts, they're easily removable without harming the function of the rifle.

I'd like to attach this Qwik-Point on one of those mounts, hopefully to co-witness with the rifle's iron sights, and use it for fun, hunting, etc.

Granted, while it has a very bright red dot, with no ambient light it doesn't work too well at night. No biggy, that's what the tritium sight inserts are for on my SAR-1, regardless.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blast from the past! (Weaver Qwik-Point)" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
James T Thomas
February 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'll read this thread to know if you have found your mount for the Q Point.
Sorry, but I can't be of help.

It must be the predecessor to the Trijicon scopes.

February 15, 2009, 07:57 PM
Looks like an early Armson OEG variant.

What you want for an AK mount is a BP-02. I don't know who has them in stock right now.

4v50 Gary
February 15, 2009, 08:07 PM
It was among the first red dots.

February 15, 2009, 08:34 PM
My dad has one on a browning .22 auto.

February 15, 2009, 09:29 PM
There's some wasted space under the Weaver rail and above the mount that I could modify to make the optic sit lower.

February 16, 2009, 02:56 AM
How old is it?

February 16, 2009, 05:48 AM
My dad's Ithaca 37 20 gauge has one and I just purchased one for a remington 1100 (which I hope to mount on a LT-20. Great sights

February 16, 2009, 02:37 PM
Virgil, they first came out on the market well over 25 years ago.

The American Rifleman magazine had an article about it in their November 1973 issue.

February 16, 2009, 03:43 PM
The BP02 is as low and centered as they come.

February 16, 2009, 03:52 PM

makes me wonder if David had a red dot on his sling

February 16, 2009, 04:02 PM

Still somewhat anachronistic, putting a 1973-vintage sight on a 1947-vintage design of a rifle. Or is it?

(I could put it on my 1874 Sharps, too...) ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Blast from the past! (Weaver Qwik-Point)" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!